The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog Subharmonicon Leaked?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
Oh man, how good does this thing sound. I really haven’t taken to modern Moog synths but this is beautiful.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think the return rate on these will be high initially. Too many people will go into this expecting a typical synth experience but this is a new animal. Saw the same happen with DFAM, Monostation, and Medusa. Anytime something totally different hits, this happens. I expect it'll happen with the Polyend Tracker as well. But don't jump in at these prices. Just wait for the next round of new ones. No point in buying used if you can't get a deal.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Plink View Post
Oh man, how good does this thing sound. I really haven’t taken to modern Moog synths but this is beautiful.
I think this whole new "Mother" line has been great for pulling a totally new demographic into the Moog camp.
Old 1 week ago
My sub is S/N 490. There is at least a run of 500 of them, I would bet they are building them by the 1000ish...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
ValhallaDSP

Just got the Subharmonicon this afternoon. Today was quite a busy day for me, and the Subharmonicon seems deep, so I'm going to spend a few days reading the manual, and getting to know this synth, before committing anything to tape HA JUST KIDDING

Subharmonicon through Supermassive. I'm holding down the TRIGGER button, and hitting the NEXT button to trigger the sequences manually.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
Just got the Subharmonicon this afternoon. Today was quite a busy day for me, and the Subharmonicon seems deep, so I'm going to spend a few days reading the manual, and getting to know this synth, before committing anything to tape HA JUST KIDDING

Subharmonicon through Supermassive. I'm holding down the TRIGGER button, and hitting the NEXT button to trigger the sequences manually.
What a sound! Gorgeous stuff...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Oh,I can't wait to test the SubHarmonicon with Supermassive
Btw Someone ask me a demo about Stab with it so I did a quick video about it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Bo Beats

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post

1) Moog should just start sending you product.
2) Do you even sleep, bro?
3) Thanks for Supermassive!
4) That sounds really good.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This is the thing I have the least use for and the most want for right now
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
Bo Beats

I really liked Point Zero and the little sequence after it with the reverb.... I also liked Bateria (even if he did mess it up) and the groove after that...

(Slip & Fall - no need for a Chip Tune synth....)

I'll be definitely getting one of these after the super high demand drops off.

While it is a totally different animal, it reminds me a bit of the Impulse Command from a sequencing standpoint in that it can't take rests (unless I have missed something in all the demos). It's difference is the two sequencers interplaying and the rhythms with length of gate changes. The IC uses filter changes and the 'Patch' parameter to introduce a rhythmic feel.

While sometimes I wish the IC had rests, I find the constraint actually adds to my creativity. I can't wait to pair these two.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A new one

Old 1 week ago
eb7
Lives for gear

I ordered one yesterday and am just waiting on the shipping confirmation. Last night, I had half and hour to kill before bedtime and ended up watching a couple of YouTube demos. Overnight, I had several dreams where I needed to turn some knobs in order to subdivide or quantize some aspect of my existence. That's perfectly normal, right?
Old 1 week ago
ValhallaDSP

Supermassive Subharmonicon No. 2:

Subharmonicon through several instances of Supermassive. I've patched SEQ1 to control VCO2, which is also being modulated by SEQ2.
Old 1 week ago
ValhallaDSP

Supermassive Subharmonicon No. 3

Moog Subharmonicon, through 2 series instances of ValhallaSupermassive in Centaurus mode (set up for 1/8 and 1/8. delays). SEQ1 OUT is patched to VCO2 IN, and SEQ2 OUT is patched to CUTOFF.
Old 1 week ago
ValhallaDSP

Supermassive Subharmonicon No. 4

Moog Subharmonicon, set up to play a fast sequence on VCO2, slow on VCO1. SEQ 1 OUT is patched into VCO 2. The OSC 2 switch for VCO2 is turned off at the beginning of the piece, and later enabled.

The VCF/VCA envelopes are set up for VERY short envelopes at the beginning and end of the piece. The sound is more of a quick "click." As the piece progresses, I turn up the decay times.

ValhallaSupermassive is used as a sparse reverb with a very long attack (Sagittarius mode). This transforms the short clicky envelopes into more of a granular sound. Here's the patch:

<ValhallaSupermassive pluginVersion="1.0.0" presetName="SuperSubNo4" Mix="1.0" DelaySync="0.25" DelayNote="0.2857142984867096" Delay_Ms="0.7990000247955322" DelayWarp="0.5649999976158142" Clear="1.0" Feedback="0.4629999995231628" Density="0.3680000007152557" Width="1.0" LowCut="0.0" HighCut="1.0" ModRate="0.2738341093063354" ModDepth="0.6000000238418579" Mode="0.1666666716337204" Reserved1="0.0" Reserved2="0.0" Reserved3="0.0" Reserved4="0.0"/>
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by L de Leonard View Post
I just upload a new "Ambient" test with the Subharmonicon, for this one it s the synth only with just delay and reverb.
Really nice note selection on the two parts and the rhythmic variations, L de Leonard. The shifting harmonies work with all of the intervals and create movement, as do the rhythmic cycles of the two parts. It's reminiscent of older IDM in the best sense.

So I bit and preordered from the next batch because I was able to get the 10% off / free shipping deal on Detroit Modular and am tired of hearing other people explore the possibilities of the Subharmonicon before I get to do the same.

Don't get me wrong: I applaud the people who have posted demos and reviews, but I don't want to get the sound of other people's interpretations in my head because of the inherent choice limitations. I really just want a taste for now.

We're all going to use the same notes and intervals, but something about the use of hemiolas, shifting isorhythms and intervallic cycles really interests me. Even though it wasn't Moog devs' idea, it's a cultural innovation (but one that could become familiar quickly).

I wonder whether Moog or someone else will offer a synth or box with the same sequencing features later on -- one that encompasses more parts and more available notes. It would allow you to limit steps and voices to those of the Subharmonicon, but also would expand the possibilities. It would offer the same suboscillator possibilities but might allow you to choose between overtone series choices and chromatic ones, if that's possible. And perhaps the sequencer steps could be free or note-quantized internally. I'd worry less about our shared limitations with an instrument like that. But even then, the sound is going to become indistinguishable from a specific era because the use of polyrhythms and subharmonics is new to the culture and specifically to this cultural moment. Rightly or wrongly, famous people will be known for making many note choices first.

For the polyrhythmic, hemiola-driven part, I think I can set that up on my Analog Rytm. I've tried things like that already.

I nearly always wait to buy an instrument until long after the launch, when the bugs have been found and the flaws addressed; when accessories are more numerous and everything tends to be cheaper and available used. But for some reason, I just didn't want the possibilities of this synth defined by the zeitgeist before I got one myself. That, and $629 is almost as good as the $600 we'll see in the next four weeks or so.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I'm banking on someone impuse buying this because it's the hot thing right now and dumping it in a month or two when they realize it's not the synth they were looking for. It isn't a synth for everyone, but for a certain someone it's the essential glue their setup needed that they didn't even know they needed.

Two things Moog did right with the SH release is they didn't preannounce months in advance (and give a certain B-company a chance to flood the market with some sort of copycat). It literally came out of nowhere. Secondly, they took advantage of the 'new' PR channels and basically carpetbombed them at just the right time when everyone has nothing else to do while cooped up at home -- every synth related Youtube influencer seems to have one which means there's tons of SH content popping up on feeds. I don't remember the same level of YT activity when the DFAM was released, where we had to be content with the same 4 or 5 demonstration videos until more of the regular people and second string Youtubers got the chance to buy one. I daresay the SH (like the DFAM before it) isn't the kind of synth that sells itself sitting on a showroom floor, where it's dependent upon salespeople knowing exactly what it can do. For esoteric synths like this the Youtube videos make all the difference.

So good on Moog for upping their game.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrypt View Post
Really nice note selection on the two parts and the rhythmic variations, L de Leonard. The shifting harmonies work with all of the intervals and create movement, as do the rhythmic cycles of the two parts. It's reminiscent of older IDM in the best sense.
Thanks a lot!
Btw, I didn t expect to do so many videos but this synth inspires me, here is a kind of Hypnotic techno jam where I improvise with different combination of Rhythm on the Seq1, may be I will keep the synth line and release a full track with it .(but need to do better arrangement before)
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
I'm banking on someone impuse buying this because it's the hot thing right now and dumping it in a month or two when they realize it's not the synth they were looking for. It isn't a synth for everyone, but for a certain someone it's the essential glue their setup needed that they didn't even know they needed.

Two things Moog did right with the SH release is they didn't preannounce months in advance (and give a certain B-company a chance to flood the market with some sort of copycat). It literally came out of nowhere. Secondly, they took advantage of the 'new' PR channels and basically carpetbombed them at just the right time when everyone has nothing else to do while cooped up at home -- every synth related Youtube influencer seems to have one which means there's tons of SH content popping up on feeds. I don't remember the same level of YT activity when the DFAM was released, where we had to be content with the same 4 or 5 demonstration videos until more of the regular people and second string Youtubers got the chance to buy one. I daresay the SH (like the DFAM before it) isn't the kind of synth that sells itself sitting on a showroom floor, where it's dependent upon salespeople knowing exactly what it can do. For esoteric synths like this the Youtube videos make all the difference.

So good on Moog for upping their game.
I want to add to this... They also had a chance to test market this at Moogfest. Obviously everyone that buys that high end engineering ticket will be interested in what is produced regardless, but they can chat with these folks afterwards and gauge the continued level of enthusiasm and usage afterwards.

I have to think the B-company's stuff would have been vaporware also - they would be trying to reverse engineer something perhaps without ever being able to get their hands on one. But you are right, they probably would have copy-catted something as far as stated features and blasted it to all channels.

I wish they would stick to original synth designs. They actually seem to come out with some cool stuff without having to copycat. Crave, Neutron, and the Deepmind series all sound lovely and are original.

I too hope to see many people disappointed with this. This thing is right up my alley... It's now just a tad hard to find and well, I'd love to get one used for a couple of months at a cheaper price. This will be my first foray into the Mother-32 ecosystem and I doubt it will be my last. I've had my eye on the DFAM for a bit, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmboos View Post
I wish they would stick to original synth designs. They actually seem to come out with some cool stuff without having to copycat. Crave, Neutron, and the Deepmind series all sound lovely and original
Crave is pretty much a reverse engineered Mother 32
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I want to add to this... They also had a chance to test market this at Moogfest. Obviously everyone that buys that high end engineering ticket will be interested in what is produced regardless, but they can chat with these folks afterwards and gauge the continued level of enthusiasm and usage afterwards.
I think this did happen. From the precious few videos we do have of the MF version it's very clear that pitch quantization and other things were needed if this was going to be an off-the-shelf consumer product. I think it took them this long (since MF 2018) to retool SH into a full fledged product.

In contrast the release DFAM is virtually identical to the MF version and was released fairly quickly to market. I think it suffered a bit because people expected it to be as featured as the Mother-32 (sharing the same form factor, upselling the two synths can be interfaced). A lot of customers were taken aback by the lack of MIDI and to this day people ask if you can quantize the pitches or reset the sequencer to the start. It remains the black sheep of the Mother Ecosystem. I've learned to love it for what it is and not what it isn't but Moog IMO made a bit of a blunder with the DFAM.

Quote:
I have to think the B-company's stuff would have been vaporware also - they would be trying to reverse engineer something perhaps without ever being able to get their hands on one. But you are right, they probably would have copy-catted something as far as stated features and blasted it to all channels.
Yup, and has been amply demonstrated over the past couple of years they love to poke the market with sabre rattling announcements and then sit back and take their time (sometimes years) while everyone scurries for cover. There is no reason to do this other than to scare the stuff out of your competitors and force them to make costly R&D changes in their product lines. Fake leaks of vague pictures of prototype boards and 3D rendered mockups in forums under the guise of 'marketing research with the users' is utter BS when the same could be accomplished with a hand-picked focus group of synth heads minus the awful signal-to-noise ratio of the forum infighting that seems to always happen. To be honest I think B secretly enjoys the fanboy chest beating and chaos these tactics cause. I'll stop giving them the oxygen of complaint now... this is a Moog thread after all.

Quote:
I too hope to see many people disappointed with this. This thing is right up my alley... It's now just a tad hard to find and well, I'd love to get one used for a couple of months at a cheaper price. This will be my first foray into the Mother-32 ecosystem and I doubt it will be my last. I've had my eye on the DFAM for a bit, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
There was a similar rush for the 0-Coast and the Microfreak (two synths that were right up my alley as well). It'll die down but I wouldn't wait too long. I used to see DFAMs fairly often on the local classifieds but in the last six months I haven't seen any and I think it's to the point where the people who wanted one got one and the people who realized it wasn't for them have sold them on.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
It'll die down but I wouldn't wait too long. I used to see DFAMs fairly often on the local classifieds but in the last six months I haven't seen any and I think it's to the point where the people who wanted one got one and the people who realized it wasn't for them have sold them on.
R0<1
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloud View Post
Crave is pretty much a reverse engineered Mother 32
Is it? It feels different? Granted I am going by vids as I have neither.

Last edited by pmboos; 5 days ago at 08:32 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is it? It feels different? Granted I am going by vids as I have neither.
It’s not even reverse engineered - it’s just a carbon copy of the layout/panel/functionality/patch bay... everything except the sound and the good form factor. < deleted by moderator - bashing >

Last edited by Reptil; 5 days ago at 10:32 AM.. Reason: -
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
It’s not even reverse engineered - it’s just a carbon copy of the layout/panel/functionality/patch bay... everything except the sound and the good form factor. < deleted by moderator - bashing >
I thought it had a different oscillator, filter, and even the sequencer behaved a bit differently. (I've never looked at the patch layout.)

< deleted by moderator - reaction to deleted > I don't want to take the thread off-topic. < moderator message - thanks >

Last edited by Reptil; 5 days ago at 10:35 AM.. Reason: -
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

My sub arrived today, and I am already addicted in a bad way. Finally something fresh!
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
A new one

my take out of this is, i really need to get me a 606.

@ seancostello : wonderful tracks, both. i recall stuff you did with GM. somehow your style, or aesthetic, seems to work really well with the general tone of these newer moog gadgets prefer that to dance-y xox style of other demos with short sequenced sounds.
Old 16 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloud View Post
Very nice!

Could I ask what delay and reverb you are using?
We talked about subharmonicon with h9 a few days ago so here is an exemple with it,on this exemple it s not transparent Reverb at all and I already agree with people who ll say there's too much reverb , Also, sorry for the wrong notes
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search