The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog Subharmonicon Leaked?
Old 4 weeks ago
The easiest way to think of it in practical terms is probably as a Trautonium that's being sequenced by a Rhythmicon.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer View Post
The easiest way to think of it in practical terms is probably as a Trautonium that's being sequenced by a Rhythmicon.
Provided you know exactly what those beasts are.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Trautonium .. then it is rather unplayable ... it is not everyone an oskar sala ...

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A few other things I noticed on the updated design:

*Between the oscillators is the 'SEQ OCT' button which looks to scale the CV fed to the oscillators (siimilar to the Korg SQ-1)
*The mysterious lights below the 'SEQ OCT' button look to be related to the 'Quantize' button, perhaps different modes.
*The patch bay is slightly different -- There's PWM input for each oscillator in place of an input for Subharmonic 2. There also looks to be a TRS MIDI input!
*The sequencer has an 'EG' button.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera View Post
I didn't really get the concept or the usefulness of this the first time round. How would you use it practically?
I'd expect the Subharmonicon will be approached best as an exploratory, experimental machine. You'll probably most of the time not really know when what will happen, when you turn some of the knobs or push one of the buttons, but once in a while it will be beautiful and something (a rhythm, a melody, a chord progression) will appear you might never have tried to get to otherwise.

I have two devices by L.E.P, the Arpopone and the Multicassa, that are built around similar principles as the Subharmonicon, and that's how those work for me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure, that's easy for you to think... I'll have to think of it as a WTF machine, indeterministic until I learn otherwise.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

any decent demos of the moogfest version?

the loopop one is pretty poor.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Good question.

On a basic level you could use the 4 subdivided triggers to generate polyrhythmic clocks through the patch bay, similar to the EHX Clockworks and a number of Eurorack modules. You could also generate 2 simultaneous 4 note sequences using one clock and one oscillator each. Pretty simple stuff and not really the Subharmonicon's strength.

The real meat would be generating chords that would change individual notes polyrhythmically. These chords could have up to 6 'notes' but that number could vary based on how many of the polyrhythmic triggers are coinciding. The chord sequence might take many iterations to repeat itself. Each of the oscillators/sub oscillators/polyrhythmic triggers can be output to the patch bay and be used to modulate and clock all sorts of other things (filters, envelopes, pitch, etc)

Most of this could be achieved with a combination of existing Eurorack modules (eg. MakeNoise Maths) but nowhere as cheaply or as compact and self-contained as Moog is presenting here. In that sense it's very similar to the DFAM.

To get a good idea of what this can do and the theory behind it give Loopop's video a view:

Thanks. I re-watched the loopop video and I have a handle on what it does. I can understand how this could be great as a generative sequencer. I wish there were more musical examples online though.

I wonder if they're any further forward on the Spectravox.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I’d like to say I’ll be first in line for this because I REALLY want it now. But, I’ll be second in line when someone gets frustrated and puts theirs up on Reverb. The Subharmonicon with my Mother and my 2 Dfams is going to open things up to new levels. So hepped for this.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Looks like a subtle rework.
Thank you for the reply Rob. I'm also hoping the logic options are there somewhere. I wasn't going to buy anymore gear soon...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i'm surprised this thing isn't getting more attention

Last edited by Sebastian N; 4 weeks ago at 12:57 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Glad to see more products by a major manufacturer that go a bit outside the standard ’subtractive monosynth’ paradigm.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Looks like a subtle rework. You can see soft switches to select which sequence each of the 4 polyrhythms controls (renamed from Sub 1-4, to make it less confusing with the subharmonic pitches). The old design had switches to the right of the two sequences that let you select rhythms 1+2, 3+4, or all -- so that's more flexible and is combined with the functionality of the on/off toggle switches that were below the original polyrhythms. What seems to be missing are the logic operators (XOR/OR) and the local on/off that were to the right of the original polyrhythms. Hopefully these are incorporated somehow.

What's also interesting are the sequencer assign buttons, where you can assign which subharmonics are going to each sequencer and the curious buttons in between that I read as "12-ET" "B-ET" "12-J1" "B-J1". "ET" might be external trigger (so either sequence 1 or 2, or both sequencers responding to external trig). "J1"? No clue, but perhaps it's a way to jump a prescribed number of sequencer steps.

edit: I hope we don't lose the logic operators for the polyrhythms -- one of the cool things about the original design was you could select an exclusive OR where if two or more of the polyrhythms coincided with a beat then it would skip that beat entirely.
Quote:
A few other things I noticed on the updated design:

*Between the oscillators is the 'SEQ OCT' button which looks to scale the CV fed to the oscillators (siimilar to the Korg SQ-1)
*The mysterious lights below the 'SEQ OCT' button look to be related to the 'Quantize' button, perhaps different modes.
*The patch bay is slightly different -- There's PWM input for each oscillator in place of an input for Subharmonic 2. There also looks to be a TRS MIDI input!
*The sequencer has an 'EG' button.
I posted this on another forum, so it's a little duplicative of some of your highlights, but here's what I noticed so far:

* Saw, Square, or Both waveform selectors for main VCOs
* Sub2 pitch inputs replaced with PWM input
* Proper Attack knob instead of 3-position switches on EGs
* Digital sequencer controls with more digital functions like octave selection and quantize
* TRS MIDI input (replaces tempo control input)
* Redesigned sequencer assignment section near oscillators
* Redesigned clock divider section ("sub" sequencer)
* Bigger knobs for oscillator mixers

I'm curious about the MIDI implementation. I suspect it's initially just sequencer clock and VCO1/2 pitch, but I'd be very interested to see if the polyrhythmic sequencer parameters can be controlled with CC.
Old 3 weeks ago
Audio Solutions in France just published this.

€819. May 12th.

Full size images
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afturmath View Post
Audio Solutions in France just published this.

€819. May 12th.

Full size images
Awesome! Perfect Mother’s Day gift... for me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

don't get why this should cost 300 euro more than the dfam or m32. maybe it's just a momentary price. but at 800 it's not really instabuy. unlike the other modules in the range
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post
don't get why this should cost 300 euro more than the dfam or m32. maybe it's just a momentary price. but at 800 it's not really instabuy. unlike the other modules in the range
wait and see, no other shop has listed the synth. maybe that's the french bax ..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
the french bax ..
i tried to be more polite in my post
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

not sure f the original one had it but to me it seems there is a switchable oscillator range. which will make it so much easier to get in tune and play chords. wish the dfam had something like this
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What's also interesting are the sequencer assign buttons, where you can assign which subharmonics are going to each sequencer and the curious buttons in between that I read as "12-ET" "B-ET" "12-J1" "B-J1". "ET" might be external trigger (so either sequence 1 or 2, or both sequencers responding to external trig). "J1"? No clue, but perhaps it's a way to jump a prescribed number of sequencer steps.
12ET & JI would refer to equal temperament & just intonation, though god knows what B-ET would be! I'm guessing it's 8-ET & 8JI as in it's a scale rather than chromatic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

More pics spotted out in the wild

Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

really hoping this comes in more like £700 ish UK ...it's an insta-buy for me then...around the £800 ... still want... but .... gah!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post
i tried to be more polite in my post
it is bax.. le bax.. Article indisponible pour le moment!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Tempting, but at £700 would prefer to build around doepfer..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

This one looks like "when" rather than "if" for me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

How real is it? So real that I am beginning to think that mine might ship tomorrow...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
How real is it? So real that I am beginning to think that mine might ship tomorrow...
My bank account has already **** itself again!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_synth View Post
This one looks like "when" rather than "if" for me.
Right there with you.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

never heard a pc demo that made me wanna buy a piece of gear. but i always listen to them
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search