The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog Subharmonicon Leaked?
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by L de Leonard View Post
We talked about subharmonicon with h9 a few days ago so here is an exemple with it,on this exemple it s not transparent Reverb at all and I already agree with people who ll say there's too much reverb
The slow tempo (sparse notes) works well with this reverb.

Sounds fantastic!
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloud View Post
The slow tempo (sparse notes) works well with this reverb.

Sounds fantastic!
Agreed. Nice cinematic quality.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by L de Leonard View Post
Also, sorry for the wrong notes
There are no wrong notes, there is only Jazz.
Old 3rd June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
Agreed. Nice cinematic quality.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcecil View Post
There are no wrong notes, there is only Jazz.
Ahah true! we can find some little at the end but after another listen, I think it's finally okay.
Old 4th June 2020
eb7
Lives for gear

I've had the Subharmonicon for a few days now and am really enjoying it. I just turn knobs until music starts coming out of the speakers, then press record.

One thing I'll warn any future purchasers about is that most of the patches on the individual sheets and in the manual are not at all to my liking. I think I've tried ten of them and hated seven. The Matriarch patchbook was the exact opposite; even the ones I didn't really like I at least understood and could learn something from. Your tastes might well differ from mine, but be prepared for a lot of trial and error.
Old 4 weeks ago
eb7
Lives for gear

Yesterday, I rewatched parts of the Loopop demo, looking for any tricks I might have missed and came away thinking that I needed to patch in a arpeggiator post haste. Even just latching a simple C5 chord and varying the rate can really open things up. It certainly doesn't sound like a four step sequencer at that point, and I would highly recommend trying this for yourself.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Really starting to get interested in this synth, seems like a super ideas board, stick a guitar pedal on the output and come up with all sorts of poly textures.. bit surprised it's not talked about more here..?
Old 5 days ago
eb7
Lives for gear

I'd also been wondering why this thread hasn't been more active and would probably chalk that up to the Subharmonicon still being pretty scarce and not many people having personal experience with it. And I think that it being such a simple synth with such potentially complex interaction between the controls doesn't lend itself so well to the kind of chatter that normally goes on here.

I think you've got the right idea about it. I've had mine set up in my living room for about a month now, and when I switch it on I usually have no idea what I'm going to be hearing in an hour's time. It can take you in a lot of different directions.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

I think a lot of the silence is just that this isn't going to be everyone's idea of a good time. The MIDI spec doesn't allow you to really play it with a keyboard, it's dependent on the sequencers, it's got "a sound" to it, not everyone's into modular, and it's kind of pricey for what it is compared to other compact synths. But if you go in expecting a crazed ambient sound machine that's hard to reign in, you'll be perfectly satisfied. LOLPOLYRHYTHMS!!!
Old 5 days ago
In my time with it, I find it is a lot of fun to find inspiration, but trying to make it fit an existing track can prove frustrating. Its totally possible, and it is equally as good as a way to take hours of time and make them disappear
Old 5 days ago
eb7
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_A_P View Post
trying to make it fit an existing track can prove frustrating.
I haven't tried yet but can imagine that it's challenging. I'm thinking that my strategy will be to try to keep it to two or three oscillators and less than two octaves' range. But the Subharmonicon seems more like something to lay a foundation with than to put on the finishing touches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_A_P View Post
it is equally as good as a way to take hours of time and make them disappear
That it is. It's also a cure for that feeling that you're stuck listening to the same old stuff all the time.

I've been surprised by how catchy some of its output is. I've found that I have to careful with it, as on multiple occasions I've spent a day or two trying to escape from some demented little jingle the Subharmonicon lodged in my brain.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I'd have one if they hadn't priced it 50% higher than the M32 or DFAM where I am. Maybe if they come down in price.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I'll snag a used one later, but my Retail Allergy keeps me away at present.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

It sounds amazing, is crazy unique and fun and it has no issues. There is not much left to talk about, really.

It is one of the most zen synths I've ever played with... you just sit there and go on a trip every time you get close to it - huge time sink, to be approached with caution if deadlines are looming.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

I love it, but I agree that it would usually be hard to add it to a song- but I work the other way with it and use it to create some polyrhythms first then use that to start the song from there. I do find I prefer it through a reverb and/ or delay. Was quite pleased to get serial number 0021 on mine, particularly as I bought it in the UK

Subharmonicon and two DFAMs fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Tried to embed the link but it didn't work.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

It seems more like the sort of Instrument you build a groove or song around, rather than try to fit it into an existing composition.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
It seems more like the sort of Instrument you build a groove or song around, rather than try to fit it into an existing composition.
Exactly
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I haven't been attracted to the Subharmonicon's predecessors, but this thing has got a hold on me and I don't know why. I don't yet fully grasp it (I'm sure I would after a bit of hands on time) and I don't know what I would use it for. But I still want it.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I think a lot of the silence is just that this isn't going to be everyone's idea of a good time. The MIDI spec doesn't allow you to really play it with a keyboard, it's dependent on the sequencers, it's got "a sound" to it, not everyone's into modular, and it's kind of pricey for what it is compared to other compact synths. But if you go in expecting a crazed ambient sound machine that's hard to reign in, you'll be perfectly satisfied. LOLPOLYRHYTHMS!!!
I think you are right - I'm giving it a go and pre-ordered one from Detroit Modular this past Friday. I like inspiration machines and this (like the Analogue Solutions Impulse Command) seems destined for happy accidents of inspiration.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Yep that is exactly how my thinking on this and I don't have mine yet... Just seems natural to start with it first....
Old 3 days ago
It's mostly because of Mylarmelodies hour long performance on the Moog Youtube channel that got me interested in the Subharmonicon. Although I wanted the DFAM first, I couldn't resist any longer and bought it. I received it yesterday and it is exactly what I have wanted: a jam machine. It's so easy to have a melody going and thanks to the polyrythm it can play a long time before it gets old in my ears. Add a drum pattern and noodle on whatever other synth you have - this is where I can lose myself for hours. At least until my wife gets angry

Here's a small beat from today:
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Sounds great but is lacking some basic features and is overpriced.

Standard Moog offering.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastator Music View Post
Sounds great but is lacking some basic features and is overpriced.

Standard Moog offering.
If you price out the Subharmonicon functions in Eurorack modules, including a skiff and power supply you'll be well over what Moog is asking. I can't think of anything even approaching that functionality at the same price point (0-Coast and a couple of other modules, maybe).

We've all been a little bit spoiled by Behringer offering sub-$500 stuff with questionable quality control, haven't we?
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
If you price out the Subharmonicon functions in Eurorack modules, including a skiff and power supply you'll be well over what Moog is asking. I can't think of anything even approaching that functionality at the same price point (0-Coast and a couple of other modules, maybe).

We've all been a little bit spoiled by Behringer offering sub-$500 stuff with questionable quality control, haven't we?
Well modular/Eurorack is a pointless scam and is probably the worst example of value for money in music gear. But that's another topic.

As for Behringer, I think their qc issues are overstated, and certain builders get a pass for no reason, including Moog. My first Sub37 had a titled screen, a $1500 mono synth. You want to talk about poor quality standards, look at Waldorf's latest masterpiece in construction, the Iridium, which is $2500.

Waldorf Iridium
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well modular/Eurorack is a pointless scam and is probably the worst example of value for money in music gear. But that's another topic.

As for Behringer, I think their qc issues are overstated, and certain builders get a pass for no reason, including Moog. My first Sub37 had a titled screen, a $1500 mono synth. You want to talk about poor quality standards, look at Waldorf's latest masterpiece in construction, the Iridium, which is $2500.

Waldorf Iridium
So, do you have anything constructive to add to the conversation beyond "I'm not going to buy this because it isn't for me"?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthCity2020 View Post
It's mostly because of Mylarmelodies hour long performance on the Moog Youtube channel that got me interested in the Subharmonicon. Although I wanted the DFAM first, I couldn't resist any longer and bought it. I received it yesterday and it is exactly what I have wanted: a jam machine. It's so easy to have a melody going and thanks to the polyrythm it can play a long time before it gets old in my ears. Add a drum pattern and noodle on whatever other synth you have - this is where I can lose myself for hours. At least until my wife gets angry

Here's a small beat from today:
Nice! I like it... And this reinforces why I think I will love mine when it arrives... So thanks for sharing it.

Mind sharing when you ordered and when it arrived... I want to know when to temper my excitement until.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

You seem like you need this.

SCAM

noun

\ ˈskam \
Definition of scam (Entry 1 of 2)
: a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation
an insurance scam

Quote:
Well modular/Eurorack is a pointless scam
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmboos View Post
Nice! I like it... And this reinforces why I think I will love mine when it arrives... So thanks for sharing it.

Mind sharing when you ordered and when it arrived... I want to know when to temper my excitement until.
Thank you. I ordered it from rockshop.de here in Germany and they had it on stock so it only took a couple of days. Aside from them many other shops list it as "available in 2-3 weeks" (Thomann for example).
Old 2 days ago
Maybe I'm still in the honeymoon phase but damn, this thing generates ideas on its own
I created two sequences that reminded me of typical Synthwave songs so I added some 80s drums and came up with this.

Old 7 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthCity2020 View Post
Maybe I'm still in the honeymoon phase but damn, this thing generates ideas on its own
I created two sequences that reminded me of typical Synthwave songs so I added some 80s drums and came up with this.

Kind of reminds me of Camouflage... Nice!
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear