The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
For Those Who Have Good Knowlege of Music Theory...
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Tone/Language policing is often rooted in classism & xenophobia/racism. Even ableist.

Plus this is Gearslutz, there are a lot of narcissists on here!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

There is only one thing that can compete with the annoyance of encountering Hollow-Earthers, and that is when they draw back from battle and send in their vanguard and closest allies instead, THE CLONES!

Clones of what, I say? Well, guess who: Tinky-Winkyyyy, Dipsyyy, Laa-Laaaa, Pooo! They are like a swarm of bees trying to stick you and driving you nuts with irrelevancies: Hi I am Laa-Laa, Hi I am Tinky-Winky, Hi I am Po, Hi I am Dipsy, in random order. Jeez.

If I ever find that hole in the ground in which they live happily in sunshine-land, I am going to grap a case of handgrenades and then the small prcks and I shall play ball like they never played ball before.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
Plus this is Gearslutz, there are a lot of narcissists on here!
If it only takes a deflection to be one, I think most, if not all, are.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Not real high educated but have specialized in the instrument maintenance that require some certain musical knowledge ,must say always enjoy learning things from people with knowledge . Had never the intention to play other people music and feel to create my one music , do not have to be innovative . Think it is a miracle a voltage and some parts can make a sound , with acoustic instruments it is much easier to understand .

When people interested in music they just keep soaking in data and they become the knowledgeable people , we are much more powerful than any computer

Humans on top
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncarnateX View Post
Sweetie, I did not get touchy at all.
You can't exactly begin the sentence "I did not get touchy at all" with "Sweetie" without some cognitive dissonance going on
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorionsound View Post
You can't exactly begin the sentence "I did not get touchy at all" with "Sweetie" without some cognitive dissonance going on
Is that a fact, sweetheart? Then you can point me to the touchy part in this, I guess?

Quote:
Apart from the fact that I did not attack, only deflect. And you will need more real symptoms, not just a half one, to pull yourself through as expert on that issue.

I am not here to discuss political correctness of metaphors. As said, if it is such a big problem, tell the mods to correct it, for I won't bother.

Come on, hit me. Where do I curse, swear, scream **** or any other things that would make you think "touchy". As far as I can tell, it is a very polite and factual response to an idiotic objection.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is that a fact, sweetheart? Then you can point me to the touchy part in this, I guess?

Come on, hit me. Where do I curse, swear, scream **** or any other things that would make you think "touchy". As far as I can tell, it is a very polite and factual response to an idiotic objection.
You're certainly being touchy now. But this is dumb stuff, just thought that oxymoronical sentence (and now your oxymoronical sweetheart followup) was humorous.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're certainly being touchy now
No, sweetheart, I am being factual, therefore the quote, and I am quite calm. Still no screaming. You wouldn't like me if I get touchy. I am enjoying myself. So, can you point me to the touchy part or not in the post in question?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, sweetheart, I am being factual, therefore the quote, and I am quite calm. Still no screaming. You wouldn't like me if I get touchy. I am enjoying myself. So, can you point me to the touchy part or not in the post in question?
The "sweethearts" are the touchy part Einstein.

(why do I sink to getting caught up in this stuff? )
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, they are expressions of love and forgiveness. It is because I think you deserve a chance to be loved, even though failures of thinking cloud your mind. I am like that: Generous! Until the point where you have repeated your failures so many times that you deserve to be called an idiot instead. But even at that point, it does not mean one cannot love you. Rest assured.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Eye View Post
I can normally judge music in 3-5 seconds
What a ****ing genius
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:

(why do I sink to getting caught up in this stuff? )
Careful. This has become The IncarnateX show.
Passive agression abounds....
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcmusic View Post
Passive agression abounds....
When I am agressive, I am not passive but active. Why wouldn't I be? Who'd stop me? I my case, passive aggression would certainly be an oxymoron.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomás Mulcahy View Post
What a ****ing genius
Its fairly common in music and media production to refer to the the 3 second test (or 5 second test or whatever few-second mark), the 15 second test, and the 30 second test.

Most listeners won't get past 3-5 seconds in trying something new.

If the music is country (or whatever), and they don't feel like country, nothing else in the composition or production or the intricacy of the harmony or the chorus hook matter, the song is already skipped. If the first 3-5 seconds sound "wack" or "cheap" or "cheesy" or "boring" or "wrong" or "not my thing" or whatever, same thing. The 3 second test is the strongest determinant in whether people listen to something new. If "the sound of the record" is off to a listener, they don't listen.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
When I am agressive, I am not passive but active. Why wouldn't I be? Who'd stop me? I my case, passive agression would certainly be an oxymoron.
What?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its fairly common in music and media production to refer to the the 3 second test (or 5 second test or whatever few-second mark), the 15 second test, and the 30 second test.

Most listeners won't get back 3-5 seconds in trying something new.

If the music is country (or whatever), and they don't feel like country, nothing else in the composition or production or the intricacy of the harmony or the chorus hook matter, the song is already skipped. If the first 3-5 seconds sound "wack" or "cheap" or "cheesy" or whatever, same thing. The 3 second test is the strongest determinant in whether people listen.
And that will make the OP's 3-5 seconds omnipotent assessments right by default? Seems like you missed a point here.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
And that will make the OP's 3-5 seconds omnipotent assessments right by default? Seems like you missed a point here.
The OP is representative of the typical music listener, by far.

Just using the conversation to lend information, for anyone reading this for something other than grown man drama.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That was a good one. I certainly hope not, and ask you once again to provide statistics for your claims, or else it will be hard for me and probably a few more to reach suspension of disbelief. And it would be an insult to typical music listeners too.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Yes it is, but it has nothing to do with the discussion here. We are not talking about whether the average person likes a song or not. We are talking about something to do with music theory and innovation. The point is, the OP is making ridiculous conclusions with no research, no critical listening, it's all just out of his own ass.

Quote:
I think the OP's ego would disagree with you And again such a generalisation is not relevant.

Quote:
Just using the conversation to lend information, for anyone reading this for something other than grown man drama.
No, you are really doing a form of gainsaying.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That was a good one. I certainly hope not, and ask you once again to provide statistics for your claims, or else it will be hard for me and probably a few more to reach suspension of disbelief. And it would be an insult to typical music listeners too.
The 3-5 second test is well known in art and design man. People give new things a try for a couple seconds. If they're not feeling it by that point, they move on. Which makes the OP representative of the typical music/art/media/content consumer in this regard.

https://usabilityhub.com/guides/five-second-testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomás Mulcahy View Post
And you are participating in the drama so beware of such criticisms.
Already acknowledged a few posts up. I'm certainly critical of myself for this I don't live in a world where I'm reframing everything so I'm perfect, I'm happy to note where I'm lacking.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
He's right though unfortunately.

There's a lot of silly ideas, prejudice, stereotypes, all sorts of bollocks out there really.

Plenty are threatened by education as well because deep down they probably know they are fooling themselves.

Even as a kid, I learnt to just hide it.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
The 3-5 second test is well known in art and design man. People give new things a try for a couple seconds. If they're not feeling it by that point, they move on.

https://usabilityhub.com/guides/five-second-testing

Already acknowledged a few posts up. I'm certainly critical of myself for this I don't live in a world where I'm reframing everything so I'm perfect, I'm happy to note where I'm lacking.
You're lacking in relevance. Read the link. The test determines opinion- like or dislike of a work of art. We are not discussing opinion here, we are discussing music theory and innovation. To find those answers, the challenge of deeper critical listening must be met. Listening to stuff you don't like. Putting your tastes, and even your prejudices aside. Even music you hate, has something for you to learn from, if you wish to learn about innovation. That's longer than 5 ****ing seconds. No pain, no gain. The point was aimed at the OP and now you're gainsaying it, going down another rabbit hole
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcmusic View Post
What?
What? I am not passive aggressive when I am aggressive but actively aggressive.
There it was again. Which part of the message is causing you trouble?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which makes the OP representative of the typical music/art/media/content consumer in this regard.
Because he claims he judges music in about the same time? Are you ready to take his word for it, really? You just don't think, like I do, that he does not really listen but just confirms his bias in less than 5 seconds? This will not help make him an average listener. Cannot consider the OP a reliable source at all.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
But, there’s nothing wrong with traditional music forms. I really well done rock song is a thing of beauty.Good is good. Don’t overthink it.
You nailed it! All music builds on the previous generation's efforts. Anyone who thinks they're doing something different in 2020 is deluded. Its not the destination folks, its the journey. Enjoy the long road, stop and smell the flowers, stop and play a CS-80 or Timbre Wolf, travel across the country in a van with a bunch of smelly guys playing dive bars until you get your first record deal. It took me many long years.....but it was worth every second. Don't become jaded, enjoy the journey. Case closed.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because he claims he judges music in about the same time? Are you ready to take his word for it, really? You just don't think, like I do, that he does not really listen but just confirms his bias in less than 5 seconds? This will not help make him an average listener. Cannot consider the OP a reliable source at all.
Yeah you got a few seconds to get past the entirety of the average listener's lifetime of accumulated psychology, biases and all. Its much much more about playing to biases than overriding them.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
What? I am not passive aggressive when I am aggressive but actively aggressive.
There it was again. Which part of the message is causing you trouble?
Ohhhhhhkayyyy
Moving on....
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah you got a few seconds to get past the entirety of the average listener's lifetime of accumulated psychology, biases and all. Its much much more about playing to biases than overriding them.
So you take his words for it without further question? He actually spends whole 5 seconds before he decides? Whatever but from the deviant and infantile behavior he has shown here, I find it pretty hard to conclude that he is an average listener even if he actually spends whole 5 seconds before his bias is confirmed. Maybe representative for the average kiddo. At the end of the day, he was not among the subjects of the investigation, right? So this is not about him but you making an odd generalization based on reported timespan versus investigated timespans despite the unreliability of the source.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So you take his words for it without further question. He actually spends whole 5 seconds before he decides? Whatever but from the deviant and infantile behavior he has shown here, I find it pretty hard to conclude that he is an average listener even if he actually spends whole 5 seconds before his bias is confirmed. Maybe representative for the average kiddo. At the end of the day, he was not among the subjects of the investigation, right? So this is not about him but you making an odd generalization based on reported timespan versus investigated timespans despite the unreliability of the source.
You’re so far down the rabbit hole of whatever this thread has become man.

Just making a point that most everyone makes most decisions about creative content (and many other decisions) within a few seconds. The book Blink explores this, it’s more pop psychology but it’s a good read
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Wonderful term "Passive Aggression". We had a teacher in Abnormal Psychology who would claim it about students who objected to his faith in it. Very self-reinforcing. Lord, did he get complaints running up the pipeline to our boards. But very useful term:

1. If you disagree with me violently, you are actively aggressive
2. if you disagree with me politely, you are passive aggressive

Wow. A gift from psychology to the average internet user. Enjoy.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search