The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Korg Logue User Oscillator Programming Thread
Old 6 days ago
  #661
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
If you checked dexed 16-bit output - it just can't be below -96dB. And the rest looks like doubled - so both of the same scale. I'll update with PLG100DX results later.


Test_2e: exponentially decreasing from -20dB to S51/L51 and then silence
Test_2f: exponentially decreasing from -24dB to S43/L55 and then silence
I'm checkin g in Audacity and dB scale here is limited to -60
Test2e is the same as Dexed, but Test2f si very different.

What do you get with test c and d? Exponential curves for both?

Also why the curves start at -20dB? is because the input level you are setting?

Finally, are you recording the test or just checking the vumeter in real time?
This is key because I used L1 and L2 at 99, so when sustain is not max there is a spike at the beggining of the note produce by the attack and decay times (Rate 1 and 2). I should had set L1 and L2 to 0 but, as I record the test, I just skip the beggining of the note to do the measure...
So if you just watching the vumeter in realtime, what you are measuring is the spike that is decaying volume with the OP Level setting.
Old 6 days ago
  #662
Gear Maniac
 
dukesrg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebo Synths View Post
Test2e is the same as Dexed, but Test2f si very different.

What do you get with test c and d? Exponential curves for both?

Also why the curves start at -20dB? is because the input level you are setting?

Finally, are you recording the test or just checking the vumeter in real time?
This is key because I used L1 and L2 at 99, so when sustain is not max there is a spike at the beggining of the note produce by the attack and decay times (Rate 1 and 2). I should had set L1 and L2 to 0 but, as I record the test, I just skip the beggining of the note to do the measure...
So if you just watching the vumeter in realtime, what you are measuring is the spike that is decaying volume with the OP Level setting.
I'm recording and for the Test-2f yes there are only spikes of one sine period of that amplitude!
Old 6 days ago
  #663
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
I'm recording and for the Test-2f yes there are only spikes of one sine period of that amplitude!
So, we are getting the same results for both tests.

If you want to run those test with Prologue just send me the converted files.

From tests 2c and 2d, Ver 26 is the closer one to Dexed, at least for the level curves, but for some reason I really don't understand, the envelopes curves of ver 27 are the ones closer to Dexed...
Old 6 days ago
  #664
Gear Maniac
 
dukesrg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebo Synths View Post
So, we are getting the same results for both tests.

If you want to run those test with Prologue just send me the converted files.

From tests 2c and 2d, Ver 26 is the closer one to Dexed, at least for the level curves, but for some reason I really don't understand, the envelopes curves of ver 27 are the ones closer to Dexed...
Not yet, deciding how to make it properly - 26 is using multiplication which is not good for exponential values.

Meanwhile added sub-timbre support to Anthologue, please test if it hangs or not
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j5D...ew?usp=sharing
Contains first 76 prologue factory patches, layer mode enforced, no main/sub balance control, Param2 "Sub" works like PGM FETCH.

Not necessary a prologue but any -logue programs can be combined into 2-timber oscillator. This is actually 6VCO and works fine on NTS-1 with 2FX, i.e. on the edge of the -logues performance limit.
Old 5 days ago
  #665
Gear Maniac
 
dukesrg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebo Synths View Post
So, we are getting the same results for both tests.

If you want to run those test with Prologue just send me the converted files.

From tests 2c and 2d, Ver 26 is the closer one to Dexed, at least for the level curves, but for some reason I really don't understand, the envelopes curves of ver 27 are the ones closer to Dexed...
Repeated Test_2e, only first 10 are visible and indeed descending by 6dB.
That means:
- values just multiplied
- numerically equivalent of dB values added, i.e. 96+96=192
I don't see the right phisics in such combining, but it is the easiest way for sure.
Will celanup the debug branch and commit the change, then we can try to restore the feedback operation without overloading prologue CPU.
Old 5 days ago
  #666
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
Not yet, deciding how to make it properly - 26 is using multiplication which is not good for exponential values.

Meanwhile added sub-timbre support to Anthologue, please test if it hangs or not
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j5D...ew?usp=sharing
Contains first 76 prologue factory patches, layer mode enforced, no main/sub balance control, Param2 "Sub" works like PGM FETCH.

Not necessary a prologue but any -logue programs can be combined into 2-timber oscillator. This is actually 6VCO and works fine on NTS-1 with 2FX, i.e. on the edge of the -logues performance limit.
Hi, can you re-upload the file with a shorter name?
I downloaded it, but Librarian refused to take it and I think is because the long name. I tried to rename it but I can't...

I tried before the previous banks you upload, but I think I forgot to mention it.
Those banks worked well, and sounds good, different form my Prologue oscilators, but that is good for me (I already have the original ones ).
I loaded a Factory Preset and Anthologue with the same preset, then switched between the analogue oscillators and Anthologue to compare.
If you want to get it sound closer I can help you. The first thing I noted is that the detune between oscillators is more pronounced on Anthologue...
But to me the more interesting option is the sequencer, it would be great to have an editor for Minilogue or Monologue to edit sequences and upload to Prologue...
Old 5 days ago
  #667
Gear Maniac
 
dukesrg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebo Synths View Post
Hi, can you re-upload the file with a shorter name?
I downloaded it, but Librarian refused to take it and I think is because the long name. I tried to rename it but I can't...

I tried before the previous banks you upload, but I think I forgot to mention it.
Those banks worked well, and sounds good, different form my Prologue oscilators, but that is good for me (I already have the original ones ).
I loaded a Factory Preset and Anthologue with the same preset, then switched between the analogue oscillators and Anthologue to compare.
If you want to get it sound closer I can help you. The first thing I noted is that the detune between oscillators is more pronounced on Anthologue...
But to me the more interesting option is the sequencer, it would be great to have an editor for Minilogue or Monologue to edit sequences and upload to Prologue...
Done !https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yiq...ew?usp=sharing

This might be the octave shift because oscillator octave and keyboard octave are applied internally AND then also physical switch settings applied to the actual pitch. So just set keyboard octave to the center and multi osc octave to the lower position and then compare with the native VCO program loaded octave settings.

It would be great to compare single VCO all 3 waves periods since it could be natively twice or half of the frequency. I checked with NTS-1 only and also could mistakenly scale pthe period.

I also have several question about sub timbre control for prologue:
1. Main/sub balance described in manual twice, both different and looks wrong. IMO should be 0 - 64 Main=max, Sub = min to max; 64-27 Main=max to min, Sub = max.
2. Does split point works for split mode only or for xfade too?
Old 5 days ago
  #668
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
This might be the octave shift because oscillator octave and keyboard octave are applied internally AND then also physical switch settings applied to the actual pitch. So just set keyboard octave to the center and multi osc octave to the lower position and then compare with the native VCO program loaded octave settings.
No, I set it to the proper octave. I mean the detuning between oscillators. The beating is more pronunced on Anthologue, especially in the high range. I cuould do a recording, or just mesure the frequency of the original oscillators versus Anthologue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
It would be great to compare single VCO all 3 waves periods since it could be natively twice or half of the frequency. I checked with NTS-1 only and also could mistakenly scale pthe period.
I think they are right, but I will check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
I also have several question about sub timbre control for prologue:
1. Main/sub balance described in manual twice, both different and looks wrong. IMO should be 0 - 64 Main=max, Sub = min to max; 64-27 Main=max to min, Sub = max.
I'm not sure, I don't use sub-timbres much, I will check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
2. Does split point works for split mode only or for xfade too?
Only works for split.

I will try the new version later today...
Old 5 days ago
  #669
Gear Maniac
 
dukesrg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebo Synths View Post
No, I set it to the proper octave. I mean the detuning between oscillators. The beating is more pronunced on Anthologue, especially in the high range. I cuould do a recording, or just mesure the frequency of the original oscillators versus Anthologue.
It could be because of levels - in Anthologue all levels are linear now, while it is most likely exponential on the real devices. Levels also affect ring mod/cross mod greatly and also cross mod depth range could be customized in hardware, while it uses the full range in Anthologue.

So you aware of double ostave applied with this oscillator, then just compare the periods of all 3 waveforms with the original VCOs and maybe shape ranges to.
Old 5 days ago
  #670
Gear Maniac
 
dukesrg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebo Synths View Post
So, we are getting the same results for both tests.

If you want to run those test with Prologue just send me the converted files.

From tests 2c and 2d, Ver 26 is the closer one to Dexed, at least for the level curves, but for some reason I really don't understand, the envelopes curves of ver 27 are the ones closer to Dexed...
New tests -31, -32 (with or without feedback)
Close to -26 - level is EG*Out, both in dB. dB-to-linear LUT extended to 10-bit precision so I can't hear the artefacts now.

Cons:
- attack/release rates looks too short now! (the actual EG level increment calculated from rates and is also in the EG dB scale, this could influence)
- real voices sounds slightly undermodulated (modulated by the linear oscillator output, i.e. after scaled with EG/Out level with dB-to-linear LUT applied)

Sounds sometimes better then the original, Bass 2 (ROM1A#16) and Take Off (ROM1A#32) produces very low and fat bass I did not expect to hear from both NTS-1 and my IEMs
Old 5 days ago
  #671
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
On P16, the main/sub balance is a knob. The values reported in the window are from 0-127. 63 would be 50/50. Is that what we're looking for?
Old 5 days ago
  #672
Gear Maniac
 
dukesrg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
On P16, the main/sub balance is a knob. The values reported in the window are from 0-127. 63 would be 50/50. Is that what we're looking for?
Yes, that's it. But manual is confusing:
p. 22
Quote:
64: The volume for the main timbre and the sub-timbre will be the same.
Turning the knob to the left will increase the volume of the main timbre, and turning
the knob to the right will increase the volume of the sub-timbre.
p.46
Quote:
64: The volume for the main timbre and the sub-timbre will be the same.
Increasing the value will make the main timbre louder, and decreasing the value
will make the sub-timbre louder.
So either "left" is 127 or this is a mistake. I'm not sure if display shows parameter change value, but if it does, please check In My Dream factory program. It should have the default balance of 74 and I expect it is more of a Sub.

I actually doubt it is really crosfaded to 50% in the center. It should be
main is constant max at the lower half, sub is constant max to the higher half. That is also easy to check: edit timbre to the sub, zero level, check the output level at the full main and center position of a balance knob.
Old 5 days ago
  #673
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
New tests -31, -32 (with or without feedback)
Close to -26 - level is EG*Out, both in dB. dB-to-linear LUT extended to 10-bit precision so I can't hear the artefacts now.

Cons:
- attack/release rates looks too short now! (the actual EG level increment calculated from rates and is also in the EG dB scale, this could influence)
- real voices sounds slightly undermodulated (modulated by the linear oscillator output, i.e. after scaled with EG/Out level with dB-to-linear LUT applied)

Sounds sometimes better then the original, Bass 2 (ROM1A#16) and Take Off (ROM1A#32) produces very low and fat bass I did not expect to hear from both NTS-1 and my IEMs
The Anthologue file loads on the editor and on the Prologue, but hangs when I play, so I can't do any comparisons...

FM64 ver 31 hangs... (I was expecting to try it with feedback working...)

Ver 32 works well!

I did some quick test and I can't hear the zippering noise either, but I checked only in headphones...

The envelopes are shorter than Dexed but have the same timing that versions 25, 26 and 27, so is no difference there. But I think they could be a little longer. I will do a measurement to check the exact times.

If you do a version of Test1.syx I could test modulation index. You can't rely on what you hear from the original banks as modulation sources like key tracking or velocity are not implemented. For example, patches where velocity controls the modulation index will sound undermodulated.

One thing that alway forgot to mention is that in all version I tried to use the LFO of the Prologue to modulate pitch (to add some vibrato) the multi engine hangs... which is strange, as LFO pitch modulation is manged together with keyboard pitch (as far as I know)...
Old 5 days ago
  #674
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
Yes, that's it. But manual is confusing:
p. 22

p.46

So either "left" is 127 or this is a mistake. I'm not sure if display shows parameter change value, but if it does, please check In My Dream factory program. It should have the default balance of 74 and I expect it is more of a Sub.

I actually doubt it is really crosfaded to 50% in the center. It should be
main is constant max at the lower half, sub is constant max to the higher half. That is also easy to check: edit timbre to the sub, zero level, check the output level at the full main and center position of a balance knob.
No, it's right. Full left 0 is main, full right 127 is sub. Yeah, in the middle it should have constant volume. But it's a balance control.

I don't have any presets. But, yeah 75 would have more sub than main in it. There no other level controls other than Program Level in the menu, and it's in db's.

Not sure what 'zero level' is?
Old 5 days ago
  #675
Gear Maniac
 
dukesrg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebo Synths View Post
The Anthologue file loads on the editor and on the Prologue, but hangs when I play, so I can't do any comparisons...

FM64 ver 31 hangs... (I was expecting to try it with feedback working...)

Ver 32 works well!

I did some quick test and I can't hear the zippering noise either, but I checked only in headphones...

The envelopes are shorter than Dexed but have the same timing that versions 25, 26 and 27, so is no difference there. But I think they could be a little longer. I will do a measurement to check the exact times.

If you do a version of Test1.syx I could test modulation index. You can't rely on what you hear from the original banks as modulation sources like key tracking or velocity are not implemented. For example, patches where velocity controls the modulation index will sound undermodulated.

One thing that alway forgot to mention is that in all version I tried to use the LFO of the Prologue to modulate pitch (to add some vibrato) the multi engine hangs... which is strange, as LFO pitch modulation is manged together with keyboard pitch (as far as I know)...
Updated Anthologue with factory patches to 0.7-1. This one skips most calculations for sub timbre VCOs if it is not used, so may help a bit with performance. Just to check if the same code will work for all with limited fuctions. Param 8 = sub off/on, param9 = main/sub balance.

For the VCO wave tests you can use previous logue factory program compilation, VCOs was not changed at all in 0.7 - only increased in count. For the sub-timbre controls the original prologue behaviour is actually interesting.


FM64 0.6-25...27 was al with 99->127 EG level LUT with the samerate, so yes there should no be differences in the result rate. And the noise is disappeared just because of the increased dB-to-linear LUT resolution - the stepped output was also used pho modulation, so phase accumulator could change with those big steps resulting with aliased carrier.

There is a single pitch input in the oscillator for note pitch, bend and pitch LFO. So does using a pitch bend also ends with oscillator hang?

Looks like I did not download or lost Test1 :(
Old 5 days ago
  #676
Gear Maniac
 
dukesrg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
No, it's right. Full left 0 is main, full right 127 is sub. Yeah, in the middle it should have constant volume. But it's a balance control.

I don't have any presets. But, yeah 75 would have more sub than main in it. There no other level controls other than Program Level in the menu, and it's in db's.

Not sure what 'zero level' is?
So with sub on and balance in the middle Main timbre have just half of the volume comparing to sub off? If so, simple crossfade is even cheaper for calculation

Program Level is +6/-18dB for prologue and minilogue XD, and Anthologue is aware of it (well more or less - need to check the result). Unlike mini/monologue where it is just +/-25%. That won't affect program timber much, it is just a final gain correction.
But VCO levels scale is not documented, so using wrong scale will produces wrong amplitudes relation and thus different beating effect.

I meant - set all sub-timbre VCOs level to minimum, so sub/main fill stroke will reproduce the actual level curve - either monotonous (linear or exponential does not matter) decreasing, or half constant/half decreasing.
Old 5 days ago
  #677
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
So with sub on and balance in the middle Main timbre have just half of the volume comparing to sub off? If so, simple crossfade is even cheaper for calculation

Program Level is +6/-18dB for prologue and minilogue XD, and Anthologue is aware of it (well more or less - need to check the result). Unlike mini/monologue where it is just +/-25%. That won't affect program timber much, it is just a final gain correction.
But VCO levels scale is not documented, so using wrong scale will produces wrong amplitudes relation and thus different beating effect.

I meant - set all sub-timbre VCOs level to minimum, so sub/main fill stroke will reproduce the actual level curve - either monotonous (linear or exponential does not matter) decreasing, or half constant/half decreasing.
No, sorry. It's a balance control, so it should have constant volume if sub and main have the same volume - assuming everything else about the presets are equal.

I see now, unfortunately, I'm not set up for measurements in my bedroom. Well, not these kind of measurements anyway all my time dried up for now!
Old 4 days ago
  #678
Gear Maniac
 
dukesrg's Avatar
Test version of Anthologue-0.7-3 with 76 first Prologue factory programs
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nVn...ew?usp=sharing
All sub timbre VCOs processing skipped in the main loop in case sub is off. I hope this will work at least in single timbre mode on -logues. Note that several prologue programs have sub timbre enabled be default.

Also added prologue-like timbre type and control, updated parameter reference in this branch https://github.com/dukesrg/logue-osc...ogue/README.md

N.B. It is technically possible to make split mode with just single set of 3 VCO (in this case - for VCO digital emulation it costs nothing), but this oscillator does not have such optimization yet.
Old 3 days ago
  #679
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
Updated Anthologue with factory patches to 0.7-1. This one skips most calculations for sub timbre VCOs if it is not used, so may help a bit with performance. Just to check if the same code will work for all with limited fuctions. Param 8 = sub off/on, param9 = main/sub balance.

For the VCO wave tests you can use previous logue factory program compilation, VCOs was not changed at all in 0.7 - only increased in count. For the sub-timbre controls the original prologue behaviour is actually interesting.


FM64 0.6-25...27 was al with 99->127 EG level LUT with the samerate, so yes there should no be differences in the result rate. And the noise is disappeared just because of the increased dB-to-linear LUT resolution - the stepped output was also used pho modulation, so phase accumulator could change with those big steps resulting with aliased carrier.

There is a single pitch input in the oscillator for note pitch, bend and pitch LFO. So does using a pitch bend also ends with oscillator hang?

Looks like I did not download or lost Test1 :(
Hi, sorry I'm a bit absent lately. I work as a freelance mixer and mastering engineer, some days I have almost no work, some days I have almost no sleep...

I tried Anthologue-0.7-3 and works well here, but I didn't checked all features...
With the Multi Engine set to 8" (the default octave), the Anthologue oscillators are 2 octaves high. I had to lower one octave the Multi Engine (16" is the lower) and play one octave below to get the same pitch as the analogue VCOs. Note that I used Runner Brass patch (the first one) and in this patch the analogue VCOs are both set to 16".
Tell me if that is was you looking for, or if you want somenthing else.

FM64:
Here is Test_1.syx:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19sW...ew?usp=sharing
If you convert it to Prolgogue I will do the modulation depth test in next days.

I did the test for the envelopes. Attack is shorter but not much, max attack in Dexed is 44.193 sec and in FM64 is 41.496 sec.
The Decay is a bit more tricky to measure as the noise floor of the Prologue mask the quieter part of the decay. So I did a new sysex file (Test_2b2) that will make the measuring of Decay time easier. If you convert it, I will do the exact measurement.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wDd...ew?usp=sharing


But even the envelopes are a bit shorter, they seem to be a bit different in shape. Attack is pretty much the same, but Decay have a more exponential curve (decays faster), I don't know if have somenthing to do with the actual lenght.
Here are the recordings of both max Attack and max Decay so you can see the difference (left channel Dexed, right channel FM64).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GVy...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B6j...ew?usp=sharing


Also I did the Sustain level and OP Level test and now they are almost identical to Dexed. Here is the updated Excel sheet with the new data:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y49...ew?usp=sharing
Old 3 days ago
  #680
Gear Maniac
 

Ohhh, I forgot...
I tested the LFO to pitch issue of FM64.
Pitch bend works normally.
But I said that LFO to pitch hangs FM64, actually it doesn't, what happens is when I use the LFO to modulate the pitch, from time to time the voices get silent (misses one ore more notes). I though that the voices hang (as happened when overloading the processor), but the voices get to work again normally. So the problem is just momentary (at least with version 32).

Using the LFO to modulate Shape hangs as usual...
Old 3 days ago
  #681
Gear Maniac
 
dukesrg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebo Synths View Post
Hi, sorry I'm a bit absent lately. I work as a freelance mixer and mastering engineer, some days I have almost no work, some days I have almost no sleep...

I tried Anthologue-0.7-3 and works well here, but I didn't checked all features...
With the Multi Engine set to 8" (the default octave), the Anthologue oscillators are 2 octaves high. I had to lower one octave the Multi Engine (16" is the lower) and play one octave below to get the same pitch as the analogue VCOs. Note that I used Runner Brass patch (the first one) and in this patch the analogue VCOs are both set to 16".
Tell me if that is was you looking for, or if you want somenthing else.

FM64:
Here is Test_1.syx:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19sW...ew?usp=sharing
If you convert it to Prolgogue I will do the modulation depth test in next days.

I did the test for the envelopes. Attack is shorter but not much, max attack in Dexed is 44.193 sec and in FM64 is 41.496 sec.
The Decay is a bit more tricky to measure as the noise floor of the Prologue mask the quieter part of the decay. So I did a new sysex file (Test_2b2) that will make the measuring of Decay time easier. If you convert it, I will do the exact measurement.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wDd...ew?usp=sharing


But even the envelopes are a bit shorter, they seem to be a bit different in shape. Attack is pretty much the same, but Decay have a more exponential curve (decays faster), I don't know if have somenthing to do with the actual lenght.
Here are the recordings of both max Attack and max Decay so you can see the difference (left channel Dexed, right channel FM64).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GVy...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B6j...ew?usp=sharing

Also I did the Sustain level and OP Level test and now they are almost identical to Dexed. Here is the updated Excel sheet with the new data:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y49...ew?usp=sharing
No problem, I've finally got a new job offer which was waiting for over the last last three months so will also be busy next couple of weeks finishing my current work. Hopefully I did a lot of oscillators coding during last two month

Test 1 -032 is ready with Test2b in a second bank.

A for the Anthologue - 16" is considered as no octave shift. Also Sawtooth is twice as fast since I heard that in one of the monologue reviews and actually sawtooth shape is reproduced in two periods only.
So it worth to test all 3 waveforms like that:
- native VCO1 with kbd octave 0, octave 16", pitch at center, shape to the left,
vs.
- Anthologue: kbd octave 0 (AC1=6:center), octave 16" (AC1=12:left), pitch (AC1=10:center), shape (AC1=11:center)

And with 0.7-3 please also check program 3 and/or set AC1=70:right which will force sub timbre 3 additional VCOs
Old 3 days ago
  #682
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
No problem, I've finally got a new job offer which was waiting for over the last last three months so will also be busy next couple of weeks finishing my current work. Hopefully I did a lot of oscillators coding during last two month
Congratutlations for the new work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
Test 1 -032 is ready with Test2b in a second bank.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
A for the Anthologue - 16" is considered as no octave shift.
I think it will be better to consider 8" as no octave shift, as is the default in Prologue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
Also Sawtooth is twice as fast since I heard that in one of the monologue reviews and actually sawtooth shape is reproduced in two periods only.
I don't know about Monologue (I have a friend that have one, I could check next time I visit him), but in Prologue sawtooth have the same frequency as the other waveforms. May be the review refers to the fact that turning the shape knob all the way up you actually get a sawtooth 1 octave up.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
So it worth to test all 3 waveforms like that:
- native VCO1 with kbd octave 0, octave 16", pitch at center, shape to the left,
vs.
- Anthologue: kbd octave 0 (AC1=6:center), octave 16" (AC1=12:left), pitch (AC1=10:center), shape (AC1=11:center)

And with 0.7-3 please also check program 3 and/or set AC1=70:right which will force sub timbre 3 additional VCOs
OK, I will do it tomorrow!
Old 3 days ago
  #683
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
No problem, I've finally got a new job offer which was waiting for over the last last three months so will also be busy next couple of weeks finishing my current work. Hopefully I did a lot of oscillators coding during last two month

Test 1 -032 is ready with Test2b in a second bank.

A for the Anthologue - 16" is considered as no octave shift. Also Sawtooth is twice as fast since I heard that in one of the monologue reviews and actually sawtooth shape is reproduced in two periods only.
So it worth to test all 3 waveforms like that:
- native VCO1 with kbd octave 0, octave 16", pitch at center, shape to the left,
vs.
- Anthologue: kbd octave 0 (AC1=6:center), octave 16" (AC1=12:left), pitch (AC1=10:center), shape (AC1=11:center)

And with 0.7-3 please also check program 3 and/or set AC1=70:right which will force sub timbre 3 additional VCOs
That's good news! You've got a hell of a lot done on oscillators too :-) Thank you!
Old 2 days ago
  #684
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
No problem, I've finally got a new job offer which was waiting for over the last last three months so will also be busy next couple of weeks finishing my current work. Hopefully I did a lot of oscillators coding during last two month
Congratulations! Your coding skills, great work ethic, and attention to user needs are a boon to any company that hires you. Thanks and good luck!

Old 2 days ago
  #685
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
So it worth to test all 3 waveforms like that:
- native VCO1 with kbd octave 0, octave 16", pitch at center, shape to the left,
vs.
- Anthologue: kbd octave 0 (AC1=6:center), octave 16" (AC1=12:left), pitch (AC1=10:center), shape (AC1=11:center)
With this set-up (except that I set AC1=11:left, to have a sawtooth wave), and letting the Mutlti Engine octave selector at 8" (the default position), Anthologue is 2 octaves above the analogue VCO.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
And with 0.7-3 please also check program 3 and/or set AC1=70:right which will force sub timbre 3 additional VCOs
Sub-Timbre works. I don't know exactly if that is what you want to know...
Old 2 days ago
  #686
Gear Maniac
 
dukesrg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebo Synths View Post
With this set-up (except that I set AC1=11:left, to have a sawtooth wave), and letting the Mutlti Engine octave selector at 8" (the default position), Anthologue is 2 octaves above the analogue VCO.




Sub-Timbre works. I don't know exactly if that is what you want to know...
Please check with triangle and square too, because saw is indeed 1 octave up by design, since being shaped it requires two native cycles to reproduce Shape. I.e.
/|/| => MW

For sub timbre check try this:
AC1:70=right (SubOn)
AC1:71=left (timbre type - layer)
Param2(Sub) - select sub timbre
While plaing a note twist AC1:72 (main/sub balance) - if it works as expecting smoothing between two layers and do not hang - great, we have 6VCO multi osc for -logues

P.S. if so - I'm releasing 0.7-x and since Etienne did not respond to my request to update OSC index page in over two weeks gonna post in NTS-1 facebook group. And let it burn
Old 2 days ago
  #687
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
Please check with triangle and square too, because saw is indeed 1 octave up by design, since being shaped it requires two native cycles to reproduce Shape. I.e.
/|/| => MW
VCO Saw - Anthologue Saw : Antologue is 2 Oct Up
VCO Tri - Anthologue Saw : Antologue is 2 Oct Up
VCO Sqr - Anthologue Saw : Antologue is 2 Oct Up

VCO Saw - Anthologue Tri : Antologue is 1 Oct Up
VCO Tri - Anthologue Tri : Antologue is 1 Oct Up
VCO Sqr - Anthologue Tri : Antologue is 1 Oct Up

VCO Saw - Anthologue Sqr : Antologue is 1 Oct Up
VCO Tri - Anthologue Sqr : Antologue is 1 Oct Up
VCO Sqr - Anthologue Sqr : Antologue is 1 Oct Up

Having Sawtooth wave an octave high is bit weird, as if I load a program that combines Saw and Sqr the pitches will be different as they are in the original program...


Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesrg View Post
For sub timbre check try this:
AC1:70=right (SubOn)
AC1:71=left (timbre type - layer)
Param2(Sub) - select sub timbre
While plaing a note twist AC1:72 (main/sub balance) - if it works as expecting smoothing between two layers and do not hang - great, we have 6VCO multi osc for -logues
:
Well, this time didn't work. In the last test I used Program 3, that uses only one oscillator in the Sub-Timbre.
This time I set Program 1 to do the octaves test and then I moved to the Sub-Timbre test, as soon as I turned on the Sub-Timbre, and without changing the balance, I played a note and the voice hangs (keep sounding). I think this program uses more than a oscillator in the Sub-Timbre...
Old 2 days ago
  #688
Gear Maniac
 
dukesrg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebo Synths View Post
VCO Saw - Anthologue Saw : Antologue is 2 Oct Up
VCO Tri - Anthologue Saw : Antologue is 2 Oct Up
VCO Sqr - Anthologue Saw : Antologue is 2 Oct Up

VCO Saw - Anthologue Tri : Antologue is 1 Oct Up
VCO Tri - Anthologue Tri : Antologue is 1 Oct Up
VCO Sqr - Anthologue Tri : Antologue is 1 Oct Up

VCO Saw - Anthologue Sqr : Antologue is 1 Oct Up
VCO Tri - Anthologue Sqr : Antologue is 1 Oct Up
VCO Sqr - Anthologue Sqr : Antologue is 1 Oct Up

Having Sawtooth wave an octave high is bit weird, as if I load a program that combines Saw and Sqr the pitches will be different as they are in the original program...




Well, this time didn't work. In the last test I used Program 3, that uses only one oscillator in the Sub-Timbre.
This time I set Program 1 to do the octaves test and then I moved to the Sub-Timbre test, as soon as I turned on the Sub-Timbre, and without changing the balance, I played a note and the voice hangs (keep sounding). I think this program uses more than a oscillator in the Sub-Timbre...
Thanks, will fix the octave shift and saw shift and most likely just disable Sub On activation on program load for -logues just for safety. It will be able to activate sub timbre manually by the AC.
Old 2 days ago
  #689
Gear Maniac
 

@ dukesrg
I did the test of the FM Index and you were right, the max. modulation index need to be higher. The curve is right.
Here is a recording of the test (left channel=Dexed, right channel=FM64):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vn3...ew?usp=sharing
I don't know how much you have to increase it, I think it will be trial and error.

Also measured the Decay time. The FM64 Decay time is much shorter than Dexed. FM64 Decay is about 2/3 of Dexed.
Here is a Excel sheet with Attack and Decay times of ver 32 and Dexed:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bv3...ew?usp=sharing

I can't do the Feedback test, may be at some point you can make it work for Prologue. But I think the Feedback part were OK on the last working version.
Old 2 days ago
  #690
Gear Maniac
 
dukesrg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebo Synths View Post
@ dukesrg
I did the test of the FM Index and you were right, the max. modulation index need to be higher. The curve is right.
Here is a recording of the test (left channel=Dexed, right channel=FM64):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vn3...ew?usp=sharing
I don't know how much you have to increase it, I think it will be trial and error.

Also measured the Decay time. The FM64 Decay time is much shorter than Dexed. FM64 Decay is about 2/3 of Dexed.
Here is a Excel sheet with Attack and Decay times of ver 32 and Dexed:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bv3...ew?usp=sharing
That's was mentioned in http://www.angelfire.com/in2/yala/t2dx-fm.htm aboutmodulation index and exponential vs. linear level. Not sure how it can be fixed easily.

I remeasured the decay with PLG100DX https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=828666866
and it appears 6 times longer comparing to the attack, not 8 times like in dexed and hexter. Either them both using a LUT from the same source or I do not see the low level. The latter will be very strange assuming PLG is digital and I'm recording with Toslink interface!
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump