The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Black Corporation Kijimi
Old 26th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksp View Post
Hi is the low end on the Kijimi ?

The synth seems to have a strong character in demos and also a ton of creative potential but wondering where it sits in terms of its acoustic quality ( weight of the sound , where it naturally falls in a mix , or whether it can go from subsonic to bright sounds )
According to the SoS-review:

As long as you don’t
invoke any filter resonance (which guts the
low end of the signal at the same time as
emphasising the cutoff frequency) it can
produce bass patches that make my Taurus
pedals duck behind the sofa.
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by trigg View Post
According to the SoS-review:

As long as you don’t
invoke any filter resonance (which guts the
low end of the signal at the same time as
emphasising the cutoff frequency) it can
produce bass patches that make my Taurus
pedals duck behind the sofa.
Owning the Kijimi for a couple of months now, immediately purchased it after it came available here in Cologne, after first trying it out at superbooth last year. And I laughed so hard when I read this
Also: true
Old 2nd March 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusschloesser View Post
Owning the Kijimi for a couple of months now, immediately purchased it after it came available here in Cologne, after first trying it out at superbooth last year. And I laughed so hard when I read this
Also: true
Yeah the quote is very nice :D

I'm on the edge of ordering a Kijimi, but I know Roman will build DIY kits with a SSC2040 VCF clone instead of the default 2044-filter.

Should I wait for that or not... I think the current filter already sounds quite nice.
Old 2nd March 2020
Gear Addict

A 2040 Vcf clone? Yess, at last! My favorite filter
Old 2nd March 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by trigg View Post
Yeah the quote is very nice :D

I'm on the edge of ordering a Kijimi, but I know Roman will build DIY kits with a SSC2040 VCF clone instead of the default 2044-filter.

Should I wait for that or not... I think the current filter already sounds quite nice.
I like the current filter a lot . Especially since the firmware update which opened the top up
Old 26th March 2020
Lives for gear

The new firmware for the Kijimi came out recently, and in addition to the new features (lfo per destination, arpeggiator) they also fixed cc74 not working in MPE mode, which made me very happy. I havent really had time to test that comprehensively yet, or even try the new features properly, but I already loved this synth so I'm pretty confident the love will grow stronger now
Old 27th March 2020
Gear Addict
I'm also quite happy with the update, though what I don't understand is why ARP is global and CC74 redirect is per patch??? I would do it the other way round
Old 2nd April 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
PSx2: Please rename thread title to Kijimi (and fix the DD thread title too while we're at it "CS80 replica ???")
I don't know why mods are reluctant to fix things like this. It makes it more difficult to find threads when they aren't titled correctly, and other times people start duplicate threads.
Old 9th April 2020
Black Corporation Kijimi

This is a continuation of this thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...nic-kobol.html

I'm hoping that thread will be merged here, or the correct title I used will be adapted to that thread. In its current state it is inconvenient to search for and just doesn't make sense really.
Old 18th April 2020
Here for the gear

Looking at this synth and some other mpe hardware synths now that the osmose is getting closer. One question I had was how hard it is to set it up to have mpe on but still be able to get sequencer midi that isn't mpe working without having to futz about in the menu (preferably completely seamlessly). What happens when an mpe device gets multiple notes on the same channel, will it still play those polyphonicly?

If not, is this achievable with some magic midi box which could split a single polyphonic midi channel into channel per note to match the mpe spec.?
Old 18th April 2020
Lives for gear

If I have the Hydrasynth set for 'regular MIDI' and the Kijimi is set to MPE, it gets stuck notes and other problems. You need to change the Kijimi in the menu from MPE to either polyAT or Monday.

So if you have a controller that can switch MIDI modes, you have to watch your routing when controlling any MPE synths along with old school MIDI gear.
Old 19th April 2020
Here for the gear

Ok thanks, I figured that would likely be the case. That means the only chance of having that being seamless would be some sort of midi magic. Looks like the bomebox supports mpe to some extent and is highly programmable, I'll see if I can get some info from them on it.

Will be interesting to see if this becomes a more common issue for people as most sequencers will not support mpe for some time.

Actually another solution would be the synth having shortcuts for this sort of configuration, ideally midi triggered, but that's not going to be generic anyway.
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuNZ View Post
Ok thanks, I figured that would likely be the case. That means the only chance of having that being seamless would be some sort of midi magic. Looks like the bomebox supports mpe to some extent and is highly programmable, I'll see if I can get some info from them on it.

Will be interesting to see if this becomes a more common issue for people as most sequencers will not support mpe for some time.

Actually another solution would be the synth having shortcuts for this sort of configuration, ideally midi triggered, but that's not going to be generic anyway.
Yeah, I'm using an old QY-700 hw sequencer and it does support "multi" for recording. The original purpose (I'm guessing) was to allow MIDI players/early computer sw to play a whole multi-track MIDI song into the QY. So I put it in Multi for recording, play the Hydrasynth, and it sends data on a bunch of MIDI channels and plays the Kijimi correctly.

Fortunately, the QY has 2 MIDI ins and 2 MIDI outs, so I can burn 16 channels on one out MIDI connection and still have the other I/O port available for other non-MPE gear.
Old 19th April 2020
Here for the gear

Just in case anyone stumbles on this thread with a similar question, I think I have found the answer on the bome side (can be implemented either on PC or on their bomebox). Thanks to Florian Bomers wherever you are for the solution. Actually is intended for channel rotation where all other data is duplicated (so for a multichannel monosynth like nord drum or whatever) but if I end up using it I can remove the cc duplication etc. so should work fine for the mpe case.

Noted on their forum here:

https://www.bome.com/support/kb/channel-rotation

Description in the project file which should give you an idea:

This project implements a simple channel rotation scheme:
Every note that is coming in (on channel 1) will be sent out on a rotating channel.
Note Off messages are matched to the respective channel. For that, each playing note is remembered on which channel it is playing.
It works for up to 16 channels, you can set the maximum channels in the variable gp (for global polyphony) in the Init translator in the Init preset.
If you exceed the given polyphony, note stealing is implemented by sending note off to the oldest note still playing.

CC's, pitch bend, and program change messages are duplicated to all outgoing channels.

Variable usage:
ga: last channel number 0..(gp-1)
gp: polyphony (1..16)
gb: current program (if program change is sent to all channels)
gc: controller number to set
gv: controller value to set
gw: pitch bend (wheel) value to set
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
This is a continuation of this thread:

Black Corporation - Polyphonic Kobol

I'm hoping that thread will be merged here, or the correct title I used will be adapted to that thread. In its current state it is inconvenient to search for and just doesn't make sense really.
< good idea - will do >
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
< good idea - will do >
Awesome. Could you please do the same for the Deckard's Dream? It's the same scenario and I did the same thing with that one:

Black Corporation Deckard's Dream
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
< good idea - will do >
There has also been a lot of complaining about this one:

Modulus 002

Sure, it started off as "Modulus", but they changed to "Modal" pretty early in the company/product's history and Modal is what most people know it by- Maybe at worst label it as Modal (or Modulus) 002...or something like that.
Old 4 weeks ago
There's a kickstarter campaign for a software editor by the guy that did the fantastic J.F. Sebastian software editor for the Deckard's Dream. I don't even own a Kijimi, but the J.F. Sebastian software is excellent and I'd like to see this made (and maybe one day I'll get a Kijimi anyway).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...i-sing-in-sith
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Interesting trivia from IMDB.com regarding the planet Kijimi in the movie Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker:

Quote:
J.J. Abrams named the planet Kijimi after a synthesizer from the Japanese company Black Corporation.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
Interesting trivia from IMDB.com regarding the planet Kijimi in the movie Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker:
Interesting piece of trivia, this synth costs more than my car in college. Its a wicked beast but boy do you need a fat wallet to dish out the dough for this bad boy. Don't get me wrong, it may be worth it, but its not like these are on display at Guitar Center to demo. It will be a miracle if Guitar Center survives through this mess. God help us all....
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
There's a kickstarter campaign for a software editor by the guy that did the fantastic J.F. Sebastian software editor for the Deckard's Dream. I don't even own a Kijimi, but the J.F. Sebastian software is excellent and I'd like to see this made (and maybe one day I'll get a Kijimi anyway).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...i-sing-in-sith
it's funded! :-)
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
That's how I learned that it's not pronounced with the emphasis on the first, but on the second syllable
Old 4 days ago
Ksp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusschloesser View Post
That's how I learned that it's not pronounced with the emphasis on the first, but on the second syllable
one of the few synths i REALLY want but i always seem 3k shy of getting one.

Is there no billionaire buying synths for us poor desperate souls on 30$ a month for our entire catalogue on Spotify ?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksp View Post
one of the few synths i REALLY want but i always seem 3k shy of getting one.

Is there no billionaire buying synths for us poor desperate souls on 30$ a month for our entire catalogue on Spotify ?
It's fantastic, very differently sounding to all others I have, but quirky

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search