Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post

I am seriously digging this aesthetic.
and it dont take up much room either
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear
1 thing i miss with cd's and files on a pc is looking for "a porky prime cut" or other silly little messages you got with vinyl :(
Old 16th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palmer View Post
1 thing i miss with cd's and files on a pc is looking for "a porky prime cut" or other silly little messages you got with vinyl :(

Yes, hiding messages in mp3 metadata doesn't quite have the same effect, really...

For anyone not getting the reference:
http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/prime-cuts/6932
http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/cut-it-out/8482
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear
what i now do is render a cd to a single wav file, minus the naf tracks for my hifi. sod tracks
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear
a thing of beauty

meh

Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu:zines View Post

Yes, hiding messages in mp3 metadata doesn't quite have the same effect, really...
"a porky prime render" doesnt have the same ring to it
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

I've actually still got my original Amiga A1000 and my A2000 (with Toaster) somewhere in storage... I doubt they'd turn on any more.

Still use an old Mac 'Mirror-door' G4 to load my ancient Logic/Notator files and re-save them in Logic 7 format so I can use them on my 'modern' Hackintosh. So much computer crap hidden around this house... But at least I dumped most of my old SCSI gear. Such a rabbit hole of digital nostalgia - I'm afraid if start looking through all that stuff I'll never make it back to the 'real world'.
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz View Post
I've actually still got my original Amiga A1000 and my A2000 (with Toaster) somewhere in storage... I doubt they'd turn on any more.

Still use an old Mac 'Mirror-door' G4 to load my ancient Logic/Notator files and re-save them in Logic 7 format so I can use them on my 'modern' Hackintosh. So much computer crap hidden around this house... But at least I dumped most of my old SCSI gear. Such a rabbit hole of digital nostalgia - I'm afraid if start looking through all that stuff I'll never make it back to the 'real world'.
Ahaha these things can be a real time-suck! I’m
pretty sure that I’ll have to put a fair few hours into the next Amiga I’m getting...

I also know very well the whole “buffer to the past” approach, needing an old computer to transfer some obscure format into something else...for instance I needed a specific laptop, OS and PCMCIA card to experiment with making an 01W ROM card.

A1000’s are museum pieces now, you’ll get at least £500 for it. If you happen to find any external SCSI stuff like a CD ROM, please let me know I’ll bite your arm off lol.
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
If you happen to find any external SCSI stuff like a CD ROM, please let me know I’ll bite your arm off lol.
i know where there is a scsi cd and 2 ataris, a 520 and a 10 one with monitors(i think). if i show you where they are do i get a commision fee?
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
i know where there is a scsi cd and 2 ataris, a 520 and a 10 one with monitors(i think). if i show you where they are do i get a commision fee?
Lol maybe
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear
includes Cubase V2
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
That line mixer looks nice. Just the thing for a synth submix.
Kawai have a couple of different models of rack mixers. The really nice ones are the MX-8R (stereo, two effect loops, MIDI splitter) and MX-8SR (pictured; stereo, two effect loops (1 stereo out), slightly better specs than plain R but no MIDI). The MX-8BR is like the MX-8SR, but mono.
They are analog, not digital, by the way, and date from the late 1980s. Both unbalanced and balanced outs, although the balanced outputs use some weird XLR-like jacks that aren't actually XLR. They have a few issues: 1) The jacks use a design with a plastic ring that holds the jack to the housing - this ring can break, resulting in a slightly wobbly jack, 2) power board and audio outputs share the same PCB (may result in noise problems).

They also have tabletop models: MX-4S, RevMix (MX-4S with integrated reverb) and MX-16 (I think there's also a MX-16 version with integrated effects...).

Also pictured in that image is the EQ-8, Kawai's parametric equalizer, which is less an equalizer and more a glitchy effect unit
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
includes Cubase V2
If its a job lot it might be too rich for my blood this month. And I’m not that interested in getting an ST’s I’ve run out of room
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear
comes with a free vgc esi 4000, 395 quid the lot
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
comes with a free vgc esi 4000, 395 quid the lot
Good price, but I’ve already spent far too much lol.
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
I’ve already spent far too much lol.
tell me about it, ive run out of family members to sell
Old 17th September 2020
DGL
Lives for gear
Talking about line mixers I have a Roland M-480, as you can guess it has 48 channels basically assigned as 24 stereo pairs (each pair of channels sharing a volume pot), 6 auxes, and a boat load of dual pots, I believe tony banks had a couple in his 1992 live rig (way we walk).

As for SCSI, i have a SCSI CD-ROM and Jaz drive for the S6000 when I get round to fixing it, also need to fix the S330's FDD cable as that's a lovely piece of kit with it's poor mans fairlight interface (and sequencer with DIRECTOR-S disk loaded), plus all the sample disks are availble online (sgroup) and the software to write them to disk not only works in win10 x64 but with USB floppies too.
Attached Thumbnails
The Old Computer Thread-wp_20160215_008.jpg   The Old Computer Thread-wp_20160215_009.jpg   The Old Computer Thread-wp_20160215_007.jpg  
Old 17th September 2020
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGL View Post
Talking about line mixers I have a Roland M-480, as you can guess it has 48 channels basically assigned as 24 stereo pairs (each pair of channels sharing a volume pot), 6 auxes, and a boat load of dual pots, I believe tony banks had a couple in his 1992 live rig (way we walk).

As for SCSI, i have a SCSI CD-ROM and Jaz drive for the S6000 when I get round to fixing it, also need to fix the S330's FDD cable as that's a lovely piece of kit with it's poor mans fairlight interface (and sequencer with DIRECTOR-S disk loaded), plus all the sample disks are availble online (sgroup) and the software to write them to disk not only works in win10 x64 but with USB floppies too.
That's a line mixer and a half! 24 stereo synths, that would do me. I have a samson that gives me space for 9 plus a stereo effects return, and that's not enough.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
tell me about it, ive run out of family members to sell
luckily i still have arms legs and testicles to sell.

the 2 dell floppy pc's are coming today
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Best of luck!

I found this awesome Amiga video earlier, I particularly love the CGI bees!

Music is cool too, kind of like cyber-calypso

Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear
[QUOTE=xanderbeanz;14981399]Music is cool too, kind of like cyber-calypso

how about disco calypso?
i loved them back then and i love them now

Old 19th September 2020
DGL
Lives for gear
Quote:

I brought a 2000 IBM laptop for my FDD needs (an A21m, 128mb ram, PIIIe 700), as well as the built in floppy (it was designed as a desktop replacement so the FDD is fixed) I have another Ultrabay 2000 one which in theory fits but I'm guessing it only supports 1 FDD but that's fine for my needs, runs WIN98 fine and has WINXP installed at the moment.
All the advantages of an old PC (serial, parallel and USB 1.1) with none of the cables/bulk, in theory you can stick a PCI card in it's dock but the two cards I have tried prevent the machine from booting.
Old 19th September 2020
DGL
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
That's a line mixer and a half! 24 stereo synths, that would do me. I have a samson that gives me space for 9 plus a stereo effects return, and that's not enough.
Tony banks had 2! for the way we walk tour.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/NYJ4EumeK0E/hqdefault.jpg
(image from youtube)
Old 24th September 2020
Lives for gear
got 2 2.5inch drive adapters from the same place, ssd's ahoy
📝 Reply