The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is there any reason to use a daw in 2020?
Old 2 weeks ago
I've been playing DAWless ever since getting my two Roland MX-1s and I love it. I'm using one of my MX-1s as the master MIDI-clock, and everything is thru'd from there. So many issues with macOS/Logic, and even with multiple maintenance patches, nothing has really worked right since Mojave.

Chirs Hein's Solo Cello AU is often rendered silent, Access Virus' many AU versions had nothing but problems and now seems abandoned; Roland's V-Synth GT USB driver hasn't been supported for years, etc. I even lost my aggregate devices for a while. I may even pull out my old Sony cassette field recorder and an RE-10 and record off the monitors (I have a Fostex multi-tracker in the garage somewhere).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
DAWs are not so useful to me. I have over the years tones of unfinished tracks. Now I’m using Ableton and FL Studio, and both are great, but I don’t feel inspiration and I get bored easily, but I don’t want to return back to the hardware workstations because it was a pain in the a….to make music with them.

So, recently for me the solution was to get the Launchpad Pro MK3 for the Ableton, and the Akai Fire for the FL studio. Both controllers are very good for the price, but, what I want is to have full control of my performance, sound editing and manipulation through the hardware controllers. Unfortunately both, the Launchpad Pro MK3 and the Akai Fire are limited if someone wants full control from the hardware.

So, I realized that I have to get the Ableton Push 2 for full control and inspiration, and some groovebox to chill a little bit away from the computer, and to use it and as midi sequencer as well. I already preordered the Electron Model: Samples, and I’m trying to find a second hand Push 2, because I don’t want to get a brand new Push 2 right now, since Ableton probably will produce the Push 3 in the near future.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'd be interested in having the statistics.

My suspicion is that the pro-DAW people on this thread are more likely to be working on soundtracks, advertising music and commercial pop music, or are working more on mixing and mastering, whereas a big chunk of those moving away from DAWs are people simply wanting to create music for fun. My suspicion is backed up by my belief that if you are the former you are more able to find the time to learn your DAW inside out and more likely to need absolute control over everything; where if you are creating isolated entirely from commercial pressures you are more likely to be a hobbyist without the time to learn your DAW inside out, and you're more likely to tolerate, and indeed want, a lack of control; an element of randomness.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Eye View Post
I'd be interested in having the statistics.

My suspicion is that the pro-DAW people on this thread are more likely to be working on soundtracks, advertising music and commercial pop music, or are working more on mixing and mastering, whereas a big chunk of those moving away from DAWs are people simply wanting to create music for fun. My suspicion is backed up by my belief that if you are the former you are more able to find the time to learn your DAW inside out and more likely to need absolute control over everything; where if you are creating isolated entirely from commercial pressures you are more likely to be a hobbyist without the time to learn your DAW inside out, and you're more likely to tolerate, and indeed want, a lack of control; an element of randomness.

It's a somewhat one-sided observation. It's not the soundtrack and pop folks who learn stuff like Pure Data and Max/MSP inside and out. They're pressed for time and need their libraries and preset banks to "just work". DAW's give you that speed and ease. Sure, there are a lot of 4-device loop sequencer type guys on YouTube, but I find a lot of people who have spent ages making music in DAW's that actively decide to go dawless, because of the old adage that limitations foster creativity, or maybe because the linear structure of DAW's doesn't. Changing your interfaces and methods takes you to different places, processes and mindsets, potentially very powerful stuff.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sequencing/interface wise.. Most hardware sequencers I've tried, suffer the 80/20 rule, compared to DAWs. It becomes a pain in the arse to elevate your composition, with things like variation, automation, articulation/timing with polyphony, etc..

For some songs, that's ok. For others, a DAW breathes in life and is simply irreplaceable. Sometimes a DAW is overdoing it and can suffocate a song. "It depends".

I've made some tunes, and certainly hear many, where they could be miles better without those limitations. Especially the now commonplace 30s-1m noodlings that could become something really cool, if folks wanted them too.

(If you are just noodling for yourself ok, I'm talking to folks who publish a gazillion videos and want people to engage).

Mixing wise.. I don't see the point of "publishing" / uploading a tune without a little mixing/mastering TLC in a DAW, which cannot be replaced without a sh1t ton of gear. You get from others what you put in.. if you want them to listen, make it awesome.. even a few mins and some light touches, can make a huge difference.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search