The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Finding the right sound/synths for synthpop
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Finding the right sound/synths for synthpop

Hey guys!

So with all the extra time I got because of this corona thing I would love to try and create some synthpop music. But I have no idea to start.

My plan is to start to cover a song (the instruments, not the vocals) so I don't have to write a song but just focus on the sounds.

I wanted to start with this dutch song called "Manon".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoVU5Z_F-ns

There are so many sound libraries and presets in the world, I have no idea where to even begin. Can someone help me by telling me what kind of synth sounds this song has and what kind of VST I need to produce them?

From there I'm sure I can figure it out.

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

All of the sounds on that record seem in the “Analogue Subtractive” domain. I can’t hear any digital tinkly bells or FM things, it’s analogue-style monosynth bass, and analogue-polysynth style stabs/pads.

So yeah, pretty much anything will do those simple sounds, any subtractive based plugin.

I’m not really a software/plug-in person these days so maybe the guys will be along to give you some suggestions.

The drums also sounded analogue. Maybe processed 808, or maybe something modern. Synthpop sometimes used analogue synthesizer drums, and at other times used early digital sample-based drum machines like the Linn Drum, DMX, RX11, etc, so having a mixture of these sounds...and there are free sample packs around for all of them...is all you really need in the drum department, maybe some gated ‘verb on the snare and toms, lol.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
All of the sounds on that record seem in the “Analogue Subtractive” domain. I can’t hear any digital tinkly bells or FM things, it’s analogue-style monosynth bass, and analogue-polysynth style stabs/pads.

So yeah, pretty much anything will do those simple sounds, any subtractive based plugin.

I’m not really a software/plug-in person these days so maybe the guys will be along to give you some suggestions.

The drums also sounded analogue. Maybe processed 808, or maybe something modern. Synthpop sometimes used analogue synthesizer drums, and at other times used early digital sample-based drum machines like the Linn Drum, DMX, RX11, etc, so having a mixture of these sounds...and there are free sample packs around for all of them...is all you really need in the drum department, maybe some gated ‘verb on the snare and toms, lol.
Thanks for the help/advice!

I don't own any analog synths, so I have to work with VST's for now.
Old 1 week ago
get a Diva or Repro5, if you have ample cpu power. the latter especially is a solid emulation of CEM based analogs from early 80s like Prophet 5 and Pro One, which were omnipresent in synth pop of that era. think bands like Yazoo, Berlin, TFF etc.

there is a great plugin emul of the Linn LM-1, but for the love of it can't remember its name now. someone here will know for sure..

another element i would look at is the style of reverberation of the time. and two machines were instrumental in synth pop production: lexicon 224 and ams rmx16. latter especially for drums. from rooms to non linear reverbs. there are several plugins attempting 224 sound. not sure about ams, but thats what id look for. finally you could look into something like a Tal sampler, to emulate some crusty lofi sounds of samplers used in many pop songs of the era. that or Fairlight from Arturia.

analog mono
analog poly
linn
lexicon/ams
lofi sampler

yep, that's pretty much it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Calling @ kcearl ...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
there is a great plugin emul of the Linn LM-1, but for the love of it can't remember its name now. someone here will know for sure..
VLinn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-YlCb0V7A4
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
yeah, that's the one, tho the name has changed to VPROM 2.0

Linn requested the name change.

https://www.alyjameslab.com/alyjameslabvlinn.html
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I see drums more on the 909 side than on the 808. maybe a blend of the two (808 claps for example, thinner than the massive 909 ones)

For the bass, I'd go for any good MiniMoog emulation / Monark, The Legend, or even Diva should be capable of this. You'll need the 3 oscillators.

For the brassy chords etc, I'd personnaly go for the Xils PolyKB, but something like Diva or an Oberheim emulation (Arturia for example) will probably get you nearly there too.

These are generic analog sounds. even a rompler like the Jedi 990 with the right card could get you close, with a bit of careful patch programming.

Complete with the usual fx stuff : Comps, reverbs etc.
Old 1 week ago
PM phonec 2
Xfer Serum
Reveal Sound Spire

Zenhiser 80s retro drums

Overloud dusty racks

profit
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search