The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for groove box/sampler/drum machine all
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Looking for groove box/sampler/drum machine all

Hello,

Don't know if I came to the right place for this but I will give it a try.

I used to play guitar in several bands, but due to medical conditions I had to stop playing with other musicians/friends because I could not keep up. Since a couple of years I want to play with music and sounds again, but only as a hobby on my attic.

DAW does not seem to do the thing for me. Maybe it is my lack of creativity or something else, I don't know.

I recently discovered groove boxes/samplers/drummachines. And although I am not listening to electronic music that much, I can not get the gear of my mind. Especially with my condition (a total lack of muscle strength and energy) this seems ideal for me. Not the work of playing a real instrument, but having 'live' control over sounds and samples to jam and groove on my own looks like the best alternative for me.

Because I am totally new to this, I was wondering if there is someone here that can give me some advise. I don't have a very large budget, so I was looking at a Novation Circuit or the Digitakt. I am looking for a all in one solution (besides my macBook)

I am not rally into EDM, so I am not looking to create a specific style. I just want to jam and groove with sounds and samples and see where I get. Since I still play guitar and a bit piano, I would also try to experiment with sampeling that.

I know these are two completely different types of hardware and my question is like asking if I should play violin or a piano. But in terms of flexibility, creativity and things as storage space etc what would be a wise choice?

I don't mind a steep learning curve.
Old 1 week ago
I have a Novation Circuit. It is fun, portable, intuitive and sounds good, but it leans towards electro / EDM. I take it travelling as a music toy sometimes, but in truth its digital synth engines are very rich sounding and I should use it for more stuff. The sample playback, effects, mixing is serviceable but basic. Keep an eye out for a used one cheap maybe?

I don't have a Digitakt or any Elektron stuff yet. It seems to have a love it or hate it approach that is very deep but uniquely Elektron. You need to at least watch some YouTube about it but preferably try before you buy.

There are a LOT of grooveboxes on the market ... but few of us will own enough to compare them all for you ... one or two is enough for most of us :-) You really need to try some at a store if you can - you need to find one whose interface, approach, sound and style inspire you - and everybody's preferences on that stuff is different.

Don't discount an iPad or even an iPhone. There are some really sweet music apps on iOS. Note however that Android struggles because its approach to sound in the OS is just not good for musicians.
Old 1 week ago
If you want well spaced hands-on control and want classic analog tones I can highly recommend Arturia Drumbrute + Arturia Minibrute 2S as a nice combo (with a small mixer). Similarly the Arturia Drumbrute Impact and the Arturia Microfreak would be a more modern and weirder version of the same idea. Very performable and quite deep in both cases.

Another bit of gear that I have a lot of hands-on fun with is the Moog DFAM. Combined with a Mother 32 (and a small mixer) it would make for a great tweaking setup for many, many hours of joy.

I mention these sorts of options because they are inherently very directly hands on. Just in case that's your hearts' desire.

Eurorack is the true creme de la creme of attic-tweakers' delight ... but it's complicated and you have to love nerding-out on the research and experimentation aspects ... plus, OMG it is a frickin' expensive money pit (aka synth jewellery or divorceware).

YouTube is an excellent source of insight into all these toys, how they sound, how to use them and so forth. Spending time learning about stuff before I buy it is half the fun for me ;-)

Last edited by ambiguous signal; 1 week ago at 11:06 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 1 week ago
Plus, keep an eye on this thread:
Best Groovebox in 2020?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

If you want an "all in one solution" and "do your own thing", as you said, I'd look at least in the range of the Digitakt, and at MPCs maybe, even if they are more like a daw in hardware.
The Circuit is cool, I have one, but to design your own synth sounds you need to edit with computer app and that is more unfriendly than most soft-synths. It's not a powerful sequencer compared to the digitakt, and you again need to load samples via computer. Digitakt could sample your guitar sounds directly. If you still consider the circuit, then also consider the similarily specced model:samples. You could also consider two cheap boxes = more knobs, but less "all in one".
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

if you have not done so already why not look at maschine?

usb cable to your macbook and you are away, all the groovebox you will ever need and way way more, inside your budget too

works in patterns like any groovebox, miles more bang for buck than anything can offer and is a real instrument too but the sounds and included instruments you get are enough for several lifetimes, i say this as an owner of a lot of drum machines and grooveboxes, samplers all sorts , it is not a daw even though it is software
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I have a few id recommend but i am recommending that you have machine WITH a song mode

first you need sounds

second you need it to be able to make a song

third? has to have effects

and then you need sampling as well

right now i would go with this

but id get TWO

MPC One

and because it doesnt have hype synth like the akai force id get a mc 707

other than that?

a macbook with korg gadget - THAT /THIS is a overwhelmingly good groovebox
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I play some guitar and own a Circuit, which I like alot and get many miles out of it. However I'm intending to do quite a lot this year with sampled guitar, and the Circuit is not the ideal tool for this imo.

My list of things I getting for my current path is:
Polyend Tracker
Digitakt
MPC One

All of these are samplers and grooveboxes, each with a very distinct personality. And of these, the Digitakt is the most expensive, so all are within your range. The Polyend won't be out until June however.

Another consideration, all of these go well beyond EDM. You can make a wide range of genres on these machines.

So start researching these and see which approach you like the best. Then compare the one you like most to other machines with similar approaches, and your answer will present itself.

Good luck.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Roland JDXI is a lot of fun. Has 4 tracks, including drums and an analogue voice. 37 mini keys, step sequencer and arpeggiator.

Mostly a preset box though, but you still have control over some important things.

Also worth checking is Korg Electribe 2. Is pretty limited (polyphony spec can't be trusted) but also cheap and sounds great - very effective in the right hands. Would absolutely love an upgraded MKIII one of these, you hear Korg?

Check out r beny videos if Electribe catches your attention. There is also a sampler version.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dairy View Post
Also worth checking is Korg Electribe 2. Is pretty limited (polyphony spec can't be trusted) but also cheap and sounds great - very effective in the right hands. Would absolutely love an upgraded MKIII one of these, you hear Korg?
Lurv my Sampler. Hate the frigging menu designed by monkeys throwing poo, I think. It makes no sense. I'm available to redesign the menus, Korg, in exchange for a free synth unit.

I get tons of polyphony on the Sampler. Start by making a pattern with everything shut off--all filters, effects, etc., on each of the sixteen tracks. Copy that as needed and be careful what you do enable. With judicious use, you can get rich, complete tracks without having to resort to resampling.

This box has a number of glorious limitations in CPU, FX, and RAM that will keep you creative. If you don't want limitations, get an MPC Live.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Or, a Deluge.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Wow thank you al so much for your time to give replies.

I have a lot to dive in to.

And yes, totally forgot the Polyend Tracker. I used to play around with Trackers a couple of years ago and loved it. So I will def have a look into that one.

THanks
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

NI battery

NI battery. You can output each sound to it's own track, or combine them to the same tracks. Easy to cycle through sounds on your hard drive with the next button.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search