The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Favorite BOSS pedals to pair with Roland Synths?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Favorite BOSS pedals to pair with Roland Synths?

Hey! Here's a niche question for you...what are your favorite Boss (specifically) pedals to pair with your Roland (specifically, not exclusively) synths and drum machines?

I know there are plenty more versatile pedals available, but this isn't really about that atm.

Anyone use a specific boss od/dist on a particular mono synth or drum hit?

Any particular modulation pedal pref...Lots of nuance and variance there.

Any experience with the less popular stuff like PN-2 or Slicer with electronics?

I'd love to hear who loves the BF-3 over the BF-2 for something like an aux on an old mackie, or maybe even a HF-2!? =)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The only Boss pedal I know is my CE-2. Simple but glorious. It's just a beautiful chorus that wraps around the source so organically and so subtly. I often run my Juno 6 through it since I usually prefer the CE-2 to the onboard chorus (a little noisy for my taste)...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlaker View Post
The only Boss pedal I know is my CE-2. Simple but glorious. It's just a beautiful chorus that wraps around the source so organically and so subtly. I often run my Juno 6 through it since I usually prefer the CE-2 to the onboard chorus (a little noisy for my taste)...
There's a MIJ (silver screw blah blah) CE-2 locally that I'd love to try out..."make an offer if you know what it is" *eye roll*

Really finding it hard to justify a CE-2 over the CE-2w but I'm eyeing both pretty heavily!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Boss RV-500
Boss DD-500
Boss MD-500

Run all three pedals in a series for endless fun, options, and experimentation.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/sea...+series+pedals
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

not a pedal, but anyway Boss — VF-1.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry_Tross View Post
Really finding it hard to justify a CE-2 over the CE-2w but I'm eyeing both pretty heavily!
Psst. Don't tell everybody, but just between us the CE-3 has the same BBD chip as the CE-2, is easier to power, can split the dry and chorus signal for analog vibrato or Jazz Chorus stereo effects and is way cheaper (until people realise at least).
Old 1 week ago
The boss phasers are all really nice on synths and percussion.

The boss bass overdrive is great on quite a lot of sources as it has a wet-dry control.

The boss parametric eq pedal is one of the great guitar eq and boost pedals.. but parametric was too confusing apparently so it's scarce.

The RV-5 is an affordable way to get a selection of quite nice reverbs.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous signal View Post
Psst. Don't tell everybody, but just between us the CE-3 has the same BBD chip as the CE-2, is easier to power, can split the dry and chorus signal for analog vibrato or Jazz Chorus stereo effects and is way cheaper (until people realise at least).
I’ve seen this a number of times before I owned either pedal. But CE2 and CE3 sound nothing alike though...CE3 is very metallic and woozy compared to the CE2.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Boss Dimension C

Examples:

https://www.modezero.com/boss_dimension_c.htm

Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I run my Juno thru the rv6 , they are a pair

Stereo in and stereo out always good, even on full dry I find it colours the sound a tiny bit and adds a very little bump in the low but never mind , super pedal like most boss I've come across

Got others but that is the only one strapped across a Roland output
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

RV500, DD500 and MD500 are no-brainers, surely.

DC2W of course. Looking at their current range of stereo pedals, maybe the EQ200 too.

Depends if you need stereo, I suppose. Also, whether older pedals would be okay.

edit: These are not “favourites”. I don’t use Boss pedals with synths.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The Boss DF2 features a distortion circuit and a special feature: When you played a note then pressed on the pedal, the pedal would try to lock onto your note at the moment you pressed down, and then create a slightly vibratoed oscillator at that pitch, which gets mixed in with the guitar signal through the distortion.

It was meant to simulate guitar feedback. It didn’t do that very well, but it is it’s own cool thing.

Obviously, when used with a drum machine things get a bit chaotic, and it often locks on to the various pitches of the bass drum’s pitch envelope, so it might take a few attempts to get the note you want. You then get an ominous drone under your drum beat.

A very interesting sound, and available quite cheaply.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Anyone tried the MD-200 or the DD-200 yet? Torn between one of these.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Vintage: CE-1

New: the 500 series (MD/RV/DD-500) are incredible for the money.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The 200 series is cheaper with a lot of the same effects, a bit simpler too.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator View Post
not a pedal, but anyway Boss — VF-1.
That’s what I was going to say.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Boss wazacraft DC-2 W dimension pedal - discussed it in another thread where I use it across a subgroup on my desk so that I can switch any mono or stereo channel into it and reduce the input level to avoid clipping (more on that below), but boost the output again ... works very well and my OBXa and Jupiter 8 (and pretty much anything else TBH - including my P5 when that comes back after the lock down) will not be played without it. It is THE sound in my head and isn't right without it now. Love it so much I'm getting ...

the Boss Wazacraft CE-2W chorus (arriving tomorrow as it happens) - really want that thick CE-1 sound, but also can also have the CE-2 as someone mentioned above in preference on their Juno - can't wait to try it on mine.

Boss HM-2 - the Chemical Bros "Chemical Beats" raucous synth pedal - can sound horrible, or amazing, depending on what you do - Chem. Bros. pic on stage:

And pedal in action ...

Finally - as I posted in the dimension thread - if anyone has problems driving pedals with synth line level signals - I'm cutting and pasting this option on simple inexpensive level attenuation from that thread:

I reckon this is as good a place as any to mention those attenuators for anyone interested - I was thinking of posting this somewhere anyway as there's not a lot of straightforward advice on these. There's a guy in the UK making these - it says line to mic level, but they're only -25dB (he also does -40) and thus perfect to come down to instrument level for any guitar pedal. Here's his eBay listing for anyone interested - HERE.

Edited to mention that I also have a Tokai TDL-1 which I bought new as a pretty much identical licensed clone of the Boss DM-2 bucket brigade delay, but I'm mainly using my other Roland delay at the moment - RE-201 Space Echo

Forgot ... have a Roland SDE 2000 digital delay also ... not really using that ...

Last edited by dr_Jezz; 1 week ago at 11:40 PM.. Reason: Forgot about the SDE 2000 ...
Old 1 week ago
Boss BF-1 Flanger - fantastic on string machines, polysynths, drive guitars, beatboxes. it has that characteristic late 70s swirl in the top end, due to extended Reticon bbd bandwidth, and powerful self oscillation. have many pedals, but this is the only Boss i got.

however, i had Boss CE-1, CE-2 and DC-2 on loan or tryout cpl of times. except being sensitive to strong signals like all BBD gear, they are all well deserved of their status. CE-1 is dark and very organic, CE-2 might be the warmest chorus ever and DC-2 is fantastic for thickening and adding motion without any apparent lfo modulation. seemingly very subtle, yet not subtle when you turn it off.

i have a thing for various dirt pedals, for processing whatever really: guitars, bass, drum machines or synths/daw tracks via reamp box. and original Boss HM-2 (Heavy Metal) is definitely on my list. possibly OD-1 or 2 as well.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Some great uses/suggestions in here! Most of which I've tried, a few I havn't (200/500 series).

A few that I do enjoy are the DC-2w, DD-7 and DD-8. I really like cascading long delays from the 7 into the 8. I'm not blown away by the dd-8 yet though. Also a bit of a sleeper yet unique albeit 1-trick pony is the Tera Echo (now found in the larger units). If you want a pure acid time based effect, this thing can driiiip big time. Not all that useful, but I like it.

I'm about to dig into a couple of their short lived oddities, but I've got to keep which ones a secret for now =)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A Juno 60 and/or an RD-2000 through an MD-200. Some very cool stereo fun.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

If you are new to experimenting with what pedals might be worth exploring, a cheap second-hand ME-80 gives you loads to try out ... then you might find it's the gateway drug onto that slippery slope that leads to Strymons, Meris's, Eventide's ... or you realise that you don't need that ... and get bsnned from G S !
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB View Post
If you are new to experimenting with what pedals might be worth exploring, a cheap second-hand ME-80 gives you loads to try out ... then you might find it's the gateway drug onto that slippery slope that leads to Strymons, Meris's, Eventide's ... or you realise that you don't need that ... and get bsnned from G S !
Nah, this isn't really about that, I spent nearly 15 years trying to make my guitar sound like a synth, I've bought and sold hundreds of pedals, loads and loads of great small time builders like Montreal Assembly, Smallsound/Bigsound, Dwarfcraft Devices, Chase Bliss up to the larger boutique/hi-fi stuff like Meris and Strymon. Parting with all the guitar stuff is what afforded me actual synths and life is infinitely better, 1000x

Very little interest in pedals these days, as I find my Orville to be more than enough for sonic exploration.

The crux of the question at hand is simply fandom.
all other pedals have come and gone, yet a hand full of Boss pedals slowly filtered in as they are the only pedals I've never had break, super refined but broad range, and take up hardly no space when "I jist need a simple independent delay on my 101" . Much easier to engage on a desktop as well!

There are other brands I still hold onto for dirt, I find the most loathed guitar distortions to be my preferred for synths and drumachines, and well....Boss makes a load of dirt that fits into that category.

Lastly, cheap and easily replaceable!

As for Boss ME's, the ME-6b is a rather interesting one as well =)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post

the Boss Wazacraft CE-2W chorus (arriving tomorrow as it happens)
And here it is ... on top if the only other piece of gear I have in isolation with me currently ... no leads ... no amp ... no speakers ... just a pair of HD650s ... this is torture
Attached Thumbnails
Favorite BOSS pedals to pair with Roland Synths?-img_3039.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search