The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MFB Urzwerg Pro - sequencer - sync & range voltage question
Old 24th March 2020
Lives for gear

MFB Urzwerg Pro - sequencer - sync & range voltage question

Recently bought a used MFP Urzwerg Pro and so far I'm having fun but now I want to use it with some songs and ensure it's in tune and sync'd

First the sync question: from reading here and elsewhere this device accepts 24ppqn (DIN Sync) for clock. I've taken DIN Sync out from my Roalnd SBX10 with a custom cable that splits the start/stop and clock. This drives my Behringer RD8 no problem but I cannot get it to drive the Urzwerg Pro. Is there anything I'm forgetting about? My settings: Sync Mode= Ext, DIN Sync start/stop connected to 'Start In' and DIN Sync clock connected to 'Clock In' (the same cabling works with other devices). I can get this to sync via MIDI but I'd prefer to run it from DIN Sync for reasons too boring to get into here.

Second is a real noob question. I (currently) do not have any modular gear so I have a feeling I'm about to learn something.
According to the (very limited) manual I can set the CV-outputs to be Quantized. I've done this however the manual says:
"To create precise chromatic pitches, the CV-output can be quantized to approximately 1 to 5 volts. Use Range 12 and Range 34 controls and set a alue left of centre position. With values right of centre position, CV quantization is inactive."
What is confusing me is that I cannot reliably get the sequences to stay in tune. Using a Behringer Model D as an example I will set the Range for CV 1 & 2 to just shy of 12-o-clock (left of centre position per the manual) *and* Quantize on for 1+2.
If I don't touch the 'Range' setting at all the sequence will soon drift out of tune. The synth is warmed up and should be staying in tune. I've also tried with a SCI Pro-One with similar results.

When using an Arturia Beat Step Pro I don't have these issues and the pitch control stays constantly in tune and is much more straightforward to setup.

Am I expecting this MFB device to behave in a way that it's not intended to?

Last edited by shabbyroad; 24th March 2020 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Bumps the off chance someone can help educate me
📝 Reply