The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ensoniq... which is the best and why?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Ensoniq... which is the best and why?

For all past and present Ensoniq Synth owners...

In your opinion and experience, which is the best Ensoniq Synth and why?

:-)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

EPS16+

Transwaves, bi-directional looping whilst doing wavetable sweeps adds weird broken octave down artefacts, amazing reverb/chorus/effects, waveboy madness, quite manageable with a HXC drive these days.

I also own a VFX-SD, that one is a nice wavetable synth but only does about 25% of the crazy you can get out of the EPS.

I’ve never owned any others. I like the SQ80 VST and often sample sounds out of it for use in other synths, I’d also like to get hold of an MR Rack with the EXP3 card as it has all of the Fizmo transwaves.

I mean, I have those transwaves available to use in my EPS but it’d be great to have them in the MR engine with more LFO’s at one time.
Old 1 week ago
PHG
Lives for gear

I like them all. It depends what you are trying to do.

I have an EPS 16+, ASR-10, ASR-X Pro and MR Rack. The EPS 16+ is a very capable machine, but I just keep mine in storage right now for space reasons, because the ASR-10 can do everything I need.

The main thing I still want is the SQ-80, but I will probably end up getting an ESQ-M Rack instead to save space. A Fizmo keyboard or rack would be nice also, but not sure if I will ever have the money and space for it.

These are the main ones I have been interested in over the years, and the different family tree that I consider them in. Some people may argue that the TS-10/TS-12 belong in the same family as VFX and SD-1, but I think they are unique enough to classify differently.

Samplers Family 1:
Mirage > EPS > EPS 16+ > ASR-10

Samplers Family 2:
ASR-X > ASR-X Pro

Hybrid Synth:
ESQ-1 > SQ-80

Digital Synth Family 1:
Sq-1 > Sq-2 > VFX > VFX-SD > SD-1 > SD-1 32 Voice

Digital Synth Family 2:
TS-10/TS-12

Digital Synth Family 3:
MR > Fizmo

If you want the "best", I would just start looking at the most recent one in each family tree. Usually that means the best specs and capabilities. You can't really go wrong with the second latest model either. Some of them have their own unique quirks that people prefer.

The Mirage is unique in lots of ways compared to the other samplers in it's family.

The MR and Fizmo share some sounds, but neither one is a complete replacement for the other, and they are both unique in their own way.

They should all have poly aftertouch, except for the Mirage, ESQ-1 and TS-12.

There are a few other models, which I'm not familiar with.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I have mirage, eps, eps16+, mr-rack (with world, drums and urban expansions) and a ts-10. In the past I had an ASR10. Friend of mine have had fizmos.

the mr-rack is probably my favorite rom based synth for presets. The world expansion sounds fantastic. It makes a superb drums source. Programming it without an editor is not possible. Soundiver works, but can be flaky. I ultimately use it primarily for the world card.

the eps classic is the grimiest of the post mirage samplers, so if you want warm creepy lofi sampling it is arguably the best choice.

The ASR10 keyboard is better in every way than the EPS16+ keyboard. If you want a rack unit, the 16+ is more stable than the ASR10. It does not AFAIK ever suffer from the overheating problems that are so common with the ASR10 rack.

TS10 vs TS12 -- polyphonic aftertouch (10) or piano like keys (12). Your pick.
These have the most capable rom synthesis capabilities. They do wavesequencing, have some transwaves built in and a nice set of basic rom sounds. The EFX setup is probably my favorite of all the ensoniqs. The keyboard is big and flat, and you can fit a couple of desktop modules on it.
It is very nice to have sounds there at the ready without loading a disk. The sequencer on these are the most complete of any of the ensoniqs.

Mirage is unique very cool sounding lofi sampler with analog filter/VCA. Can make a cool wavetable synth but takes work.

SQ80 is better than ESQ-1. Very similar but expanded with poly aftertouch.
Nice hybrids. A cheap ESQ1 is a nice deal (< 300). I'm not sure if it's worth paying more for the SQ80, but some people are big into them.

The fizmo is the most abstract synthy of them. I think they sound great and the performance features are good. Probably worth finding one if it's a synth that captures your imagination.

... I personally use my ts-10 the most of any of them. It's quality as a synth is underappreciated, even if you don't load up new samples/transwaves from disk.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Have a DP4+ that I loved but it broke on me. Prob could be fixed but I havent dug into it. It was so much fun to patch stuff to and then the mic input with some crazy vox fx for a friend to talk into or something to pass the time with music running and mess with it. Really fun box.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I am a retired FIZMO owner. It was an early purchase when I moved into my new-est house. The thing was an arp slot machine. Try your luck! I dug this one preset for the longest time. I did the regulator fix for it and passed it on to the next fancier.

Oi, and the EPS-16. With the SCSI attachment and the 8 channel output dongle. Still got that stuff in storage. Geez.. I was still using windows 98 and IRIX 5.3 back then
Attached Thumbnails
Ensoniq... which is the best and why?-684d00c8-bf5e-492d-9717-efb86c46ed08.jpeg  

Last edited by SkyWriter; 1 week ago at 02:48 AM.. Reason: Disclexik
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Certainly not an expert but had a few Ensoniq's (none of the "proper" samplers though) my thoughts

ESQ1; clearly innovative in its time and interesting digtal/analogue hybrid but but I personally think its a bit over rated for what they go for now. Keybed ureliable and clacky/horrible and the sequencer doesnt have much use in 2020. Id go for the module or the SQ80.

MR rack - its really pretty good if space/value an issue i think its the obvious one to get , yes its can be very "rompler" if you use it that way but it has lot of the Fizmo in it but without the big price tag.

ASR-X - fun, really fun! really dated internal sounds, better with expansion of course, really nice effects (I use it with external devices) sampling limited but a lot of possiblities. never tired to use it sequencer but its said to be pretty poor. Build quality can be issue . Lot of them have been knocked around over the years so poor knobs etc and parts arnt easy to get.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have a Mirage DSK-8 keyboard with a Floppy Emulator (SDcard) and it's awesome.

But I'm thinking of swapping it for a Mirage rack and getting an ESQ-1/SQ-80 keyboard instead...

The Mirage is great, regardless. So are the EPS 16+ and the ASR-10. Great sounds and gear.
Old 1 week ago
of their synths i still love the ESQ1 best.

from sad synth pop tones, to mid 80s sountrack hybrid clangs and choirs, cutting cem filtered strings.. it just oozes character and soul. can sound crappy sometimes but overal i dig it. never bought one, as my bandmate has it and its his fav synth. didnt like SQ80 and sold it quickly - brighter and fizzier output eq section or something like that.

of the samplers, there are several generations each has its charms:

Mirage - ultra lofi. mega crunchy top as there is no anti aliasing and smoothing. amazing analog filters. slow user interface.

EPS - late 80s early 90s lofi punch. not much bells or whistles but raw sound. love it for idm, trip hop, downtempo drums/stabs.

EPS16/ASR10 - hifi but warm. they offer more flexibility, effects, transwaves. especially ASR is interesting to me because it has substantially more RAM.

ive passed on Mirage as i have other hybrid samplers. ASR10 is lovely but again no room for another keyboard (rack version has overheating problem). so right now only Ensoniq i have and enjoy is EPS with memory and individual output expansions. its poly AT is little clunky, not very smooth to control.

ah, forgot about TS10 - never had the chance to try one, but am mega intrigued as i love what one could describe as early 90s romplers with specific synthesis extras. alas they are humongous in size, and always somewhat expensive compared to others from that era, so i always end up with something else instead (wavestation ad, yamaha tg500 etc)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I’ve owned these:

I think the ESQ1 is fun, not terribly difficult to find at a pawn shop for $100-200. I wouldn’t pay a lot more.

The Mirage is not terribly fun. But if you find one cheap might as well try it out.

The EPS is not super exciting, IMHO you are better off with an EPS16 or ASR10.

ASR10 is pretty cool, but again to me only worth it if you find a deal. It’s pretty huge and heavy though, if that matters.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I’ve owned the SQ-80, TS-10 and MR Rack.

The SQ-80 sounded great, but the key bed had become very clacky and the aftertouch unusable. I didn’t want to deal with a big refurbishment, so I let it go and went to the software emulation. As Xander mentioned, it sounds excellent and is free. (32 bit only though, and long unsupported)

I loved the TS-10. Best sequencer on a workstation, at least that I’ve ever used. Very intuitive. I sold it after having it for 10 years (bought it new when it first came out) because I think I just grew a bit tired of it. The synth engine itself is not all that amazing and I did rely a lot on the effects, which are excellent. (I think they’re based on the DP2... maybe?) I rebought one a while ago because I thought it would be a good way of getting a polyphonic aftertouch keybed for cheap. (It was $400) When it got to me the aftertouch was too stiff to comfortably play and after a few weeks of messing with it... I wasn’t really in love with that sound. It’s a very specific sound. It’s good, but not good enough to keep a big keyboard around for, IMO.

The MR Rack I bought didn’t last long because the “mint” one I purchased had a wonky master volume knob. I could have dealt with that, but I found that using the editor was a major frustration. I couldn’t consistently get it to work. (I think I was on Windows 10 at the time... maybe 8) I thought it might be a “poor man’s Fizmo” but ultimately it was too much of a hassle. Instead I found all the transwaves as audio files and I turned them into wavetables using a software synth called Icarus, which I highly recommend. I use them in Icarus or other plugins like Falcon. Run Melda’s MXXX after it and after a few gin ‘n tonics, it’s almost like you have a Fizmo...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=DJKrishna;14607408]Certainly not an expert but had a few Ensoniq's (none of the "proper" samplers though) my thoughts

ESQ1; clearly innovative in its time and interesting digtal/analogue hybrid but but I personally think its a bit over rated for what they go for now. Keybed ureliable and clacky/horrible and the sequencer doesnt have much use in 2020. Id go for the module or the SQ80

I’ve had several esq-1 synths and always thought the keybed was reliable and not clacky.This is the opinion of most all esq-1 owners.Thekeybed is one of its best features...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
RE: TS-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
The synth engine itself is not all that amazing and I did rely a lot on the effects, which are excellent.
It's pretty open ended how you program the TS series, and all the tools are there to do any type of sound. What they lack is unstable analog character, but that's to expected its unabashedly digital from when digital/sample based was the cool new thing. It doesn't have the joystick, but you can easily program vector type sounds, and it does a modest version of wavesequencing (not so many waves in a sequence) but the sound quality of the ROM is more hifi than a wavestation and the efx are much better on the TS10. Like the wavestation it has resonant filters in efx so with the programming, it really can do prophet VS type sounds well. You can be crossfading samples, transwaves and wavesequences all at once. With 6 layers.

6 layers is enough to even do nice analog style tones. Not every analog sound is based on resonant filter sweeps, and you use the generous number of layers (each with a full set of envelopes, 2 filters, lfo, velocity, aftertouch sensitivity etc, ... pretty much only thing shared is the efx, which you can set at different levels and routings for each layer). Once you understand what you want a sound to do on a kinda physics level, you can program in an interesting version.
It can do D50 style sounds, straight ROM sounds (most of the presets), digital wavetable sounds. You can load eps and on samples and transwave patches.

You can't do FM or AM, but you can load up any timbre sample or transwave from disk.
It's not obvious due to the lack of knobs and arpeggiator etc (because this is what a lot of synth people now view as performance) but it is designed as a players performance synth. When well calibrated it is very sensitive to touch (ts10 is poly aftertouch 12 has piano like keys but channel AT only), and the layer approach to sound design can be very expressive. It has has two performance buttons which can pretty much be programmed to make 4 different free variations of a patch for instant transformation.

Another big plus is that its architecture is organized well, making it far easier to program than say a wavestation, and would be instantly familiar to anyone who's used any other ensoniq from the EPS/VFX on.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=3Crystals;14608118]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKrishna View Post
Certainly not an expert but had a few Ensoniq's (none of the "proper" samplers though) my thoughts

ESQ1; clearly innovative in its time and interesting digtal/analogue hybrid but but I personally think its a bit over rated for what they go for now. Keybed ureliable and clacky/horrible and the sequencer doesnt have much use in 2020. Id go for the module or the SQ80

I’ve had several esq-1 synths and always thought the keybed was reliable and not clacky.This is the opinion of most all esq-1 owners.Thekeybed is one of its best features...
In comparing other low end poly synths of that era, the ESQ1 keybed is definitely nowhere close to the worst. Perfectly usable. Mine even had a fully broken octave from being dropped at the pawn shop I got it from...removed all the broken bits and it’s fine...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

TS-10 + ASR-10 rack; if you couldn't get it done with those, then you're lost.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
RE: TS-10

It's pretty open ended how you program the TS series, and all the tools are there to do any type of sound. What they lack is unstable analog character, but that's to expected its unabashedly digital from when digital/sample based was the cool new thing. It doesn't have the joystick, but you can easily program vector type sounds, and it does a modest version of wavesequencing (not so many waves in a sequence) but the sound quality of the ROM is more hifi than a wavestation and the efx are much better on the TS10. Like the wavestation it has resonant filters in efx so with the programming, it really can do prophet VS type sounds well. You can be crossfading samples, transwaves and wavesequences all at once. With 6 layers.
All of that is totally true. I write that in the context of already other having great wavetable hardware and software synths. You may love the tone of the TS-10, but I found that I didn’t like it enough to keep a big keyboard around, especially when it was unusable for all aftertouch work.

Quote:
You can't do FM or AM, but you can load up any timbre sample or transwave from disk.
It's not obvious due to the lack of knobs and arpeggiator etc (because this is what a lot of synth people now view as performance) but it is designed as a players performance synth. When well calibrated it is very sensitive to touch (ts10 is poly aftertouch 12 has piano like keys but channel AT only), and the layer approach to sound design can be very expressive. It has has two performance buttons which can pretty much be programmed to make 4 different free variations of a patch for instant transformation.
In it’s day, it was amazing. Even in its old age the keyboard still felt great. One of the best in any synth I’ve ever played, but again, the aftertouch had become unusable and I didn’t want to deal with a refurbishment project. Sadly, I ended up buying a GEM S2 for it’s keyboard and it was fantastic... for a few months. It’s aftertouch became unresponsive and now it is in the shop. (Where the dude seems to never fix anything. Two months and he’s not even looked at my keyboard. )

Quote:
Another big plus is that its architecture is organized well, making it far easier to program than say a wavestation, and would be instantly familiar to anyone who's used any other ensoniq from the EPS/VFX on.
Much easier than a Wavestation, or at least the SR version that I had. I love the UI on those synths. Very logically laid out and most things are pretty easy to get to. I don’t really tweak while I play, so the lack of knobs never bugged me, but I imagine to someone who does, they’d want something like a Microwave XT. I actually thought about doing the XT and a separate sequencer but I honestly didn’t like the sound of the XT compared to the TS. Too harsh to me. I appreciate it more now (maybe my high frequency hearing is a bit muted now...) but at the time the sound and intuitive sequence of the TS-10 made it a winner.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I have 3x Mirages, ESQ-m, ASR-10, TS10, SQ-R 32 voice.

The Mirages are my favourites, and together with the ESQ, they´re quite different from the others. Analogue filters, extremely lofi digital oscillators, overall lovely sound.
The others are more hifi, and I use them for Transwaves and Hyperwaves. The SQ has nice preset Transwaves, I think they´re derived from the VFX.
The TS let me load custom Transwaves samples, and also let you create your own Hyperwaves, which are Wavestation-like wavesequencing. ROM Transwaves on the TS are weak.
The ASR also load Transwaves, and has more RAM capacity than the TS. And of course, it´s a beautiful sounding sampler.
Old 1 week ago
Man I found an EPS16 here in town for CHEAP, dude was instantly responsive, told him I would take it a couple days ago. Guy says 'Ok let me make sure we're not going anywhere tonight' and vanished off the face of the earth even after I told him I had the cash on me and was ready to go. WTF GIMME THAT SAMPLER DAMMIT.

Was about to just go buy one I had my eye on at Reverb and just this afternoon the dude jacked his shipping up from $80 to 130. Looks like Ill just wait til EPS16 season hits LA county again. Those things are everywhere down here when they cycle back onto Craigslist. Theres two really decent ones on ours but they're both like a 2 hour drive away, even at $450 its not worth the trip heh. @ PHG and @ SkyWriter if you guys wanna sell yours.. :D
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
You may love the tone of the TS-10, but I found that I didn’t like it enough to keep a big keyboard around, especially when it was unusable for all aftertouch work.
I don't say this to be contrary, but I hope you changed the aftertouch settings in the system menu to soft before sending it packing. The default settings are pretty stiff, but the softest touch works very well IMO. There is nothing mechanical or electronic in the keyboard that would cause the aftertouch to fail. It's entirely based on calibration of how far the keyboard pickup coils on the circuit board are from the metal on the keys. It is a very robust design. At worst you would have to run the calibration routine at a shop that could still do this.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Man I found an EPS16 here in town for CHEAP, dude was instantly responsive, told him I would take it a couple days ago. Guy says 'Ok let me make sure we're not going anywhere tonight' and vanished off the face of the earth even after I told him I had the cash on me and was ready to go. WTF GIMME THAT SAMPLER DAMMIT.
Brutal.

Fvck that guy.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I had an Emax II back then. But I didn't sell my ESQ-1 until I got my Prophet VS.

It's that good. Really, the ESQ-1 is a great synth.

Nasty digital waveforms through a good analog filter.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Brutal.

Fvck that guy.
Im still holding out he's just doing some weird isolation thing or something. Maybe he thinks too much internet will give him coronavirus. I gave up and was all set to go buy the one on Reverb a few hours ago and then I saw the shipping price he jacked it up to. Guess now Ill just hold out for the hermit to show up when he wants money and if not, Ill just grab one next time it pops up on Craigslist.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
I had an Emax II back then. But I didn't sell my ESQ-1 until I got my Prophet VS.

It's that good. Really, the ESQ-1 is a great synth.

Nasty digital waveforms through a good analog filter.
I had a:

With a wonky power supply.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
I don't say this to be contrary, but I hope you changed the aftertouch settings in the system menu to soft before sending it packing. The default settings are pretty stiff, but the softest touch works very well IMO. There is nothing mechanical or electronic in the keyboard that would cause the aftertouch to fail. It's entirely based on calibration of how far the keyboard pickup coils on the circuit board are from the metal on the keys. It is a very robust design. At worst you would have to run the calibration routine at a shop that could still do this.
Yup. Set it on softest. I owned that board for a decade, so I know how it used to feel. Stiffening of the aftertouch is a well known phenomenon on that board. It has to do with the bushings, according to people who seem to know.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think I'D try to pickup a Fizmo, if money were no object. It's a tough call to say "what's best". So many think the ESQ1 & the SQ80 are awesome machines. I can't personally find anything too interesting about them. On the other hand, I've done a lot of work out of my SQ-1's, & love them.
Why? Fizmo has a great sound & has cool sound shaping capability. SQ-1? It's a nice crisp sounding synth that you can really dig into & get some cool stuff out of. & it has great effects & workstation capability. Did I mention they are regularly under $200 Bought one of mine for $20

Then we get into the Samplers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pindrive View Post
I think I'D try to pickup a Fizmo, if money were no object. It's a tough call to say "what's best". So many think the ESQ1 & the SQ80 are awesome machines. I can't personally find anything too interesting about them. On the other hand, I've done a lot of work out of my SQ-1's, & love them.
Why? Fizmo has a great sound & has cool sound shaping capability. SQ-1? It's a nice crisp sounding synth that you can really dig into & get some cool stuff out of. & it has great effects & workstation capability. Did I mention they are regularly under $200 Bought one of mine for $2

Okay, in my personal option the Microwave XT kills the Fizmo. Destroys it.

And the SQ-1 was just a clean sample player with bad filters. (no resonance, something I hated about all Ensoniq after the the SQ-80.)
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pindrive View Post
Did I mention they are regularly under $200 Bought one of mine for $20
$200? The two on Reverb right now are over $2000 heh.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've got the SQ-80 and Mirage Rack. I'm lucky that my SQ-80's keyboard still responds well. The Mirage was purchased "broken", but sprang to life after fooling with the connectors and after I switched to a floppy emulator. I've since had a filter scare with the Mirage, which was thankfully a TL084 and not a CEM3328 failing.

I like to think of the SQ-80 as a great bread-and-butter poly that can do quite a bit of digital stuff. The keyboard and sequencer make it the heart of my setup.

I've always wanted character from a sampler, and the Mirage delivers. Sometimes (usually when it's trying to be realistic), it reminds me of a Mellotron. And now that I've got an Alesis Trigger iO, I'm going to integrate the Mirage into my drum setup.

The reviews archived on mu:zines say the SQ-80 and EPS were clacky even when new.

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/ensoniq-sq80/2247 - probably the most critical of the reviews regarding the key action - "The result (which is also fitted to Ensoniq's new EPS sampler) has a distinctly odd touch, clunky and with a shallow action which offers no feeling of substance. After an uneasy beginning I got used to it, but I wouldn't call it one of the instrument's strong points."
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Clearly (imo) the Ensoniq and Emu branded made in the USA fully loaded Command Station.

With all the roms and the infamous sample ram.

Sheeebus.......
if they had made that machine sample capable, it would be now worth a small fortune.

Specs and sound are off the charts.

My MP-7 obliterated my Tempest as far as sound quality and seq/arp/midi + went
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Thanks for your advice everyone.

So I’ve picked up a TS-10 and a Yamaha TG33.

I pulled my Oberheim Matrix 6 and my Pioneer SP16 out of the studio too.

Stocked up on Gin and other supplies.

I plan on making thick layered patches with all 3 synths and maybe using the SP16 as a looper/Overdub system. It will be nice to just get into the sounds without a computer for a bit.

I must admit, the presets on the TG33 are terrible so my first action is going to figure out how to rapidly Init and wipe everything so that I can get into the deeper aspects of it.

Once things get back to normal I can finish my Mac Pro upgrade. 128GB, 12 Core, 2TB SSD and offboard SSD Mutli-Dock. Got most of the parts delivered so far but can’t be bothered with it right now. I just wanna make mad crazy deep space patches and forget about the world for now.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search