The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wut can a guy get with 1500???
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

MPC one + Digitone + Behringer Pro 1
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Synthstrom Deluge - and a MIDI controller so that you can add velocity and aftertouch to some of your tracks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

a five voice

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Waldorf Microwave XT if you're looking for killer digital.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Buy a.cheap bass guitar and sone cool pedals beats a synth any day!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Jupiter-XM got my vote
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
what reason do you recommend G2 over the G1 (rack).

the g1 rack fits better and is way cheaper. the cheapest g2 is 2000.

i mean I'm considering the g2 a bit
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The reason I ask is because I'm planning on getting a Virus TI + Modular G1 probably no matter what.

But if G2 can sound as good as Virus TI, and really just do that, it would really just be the same amount of money.

Not sure G2 can sound as good as virus TI though, if you know what I mean. IDK
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
$1500 would buy a hell of a lot of various canned goods for zombie apocalypse and if you drop cans they make sound, and After they’ve been used and cleaned they could then be turned upside down various sizes of canned goods and be turned in to cool drums you could even turn them the other way to where they are an empty container and put varying amounts of liquid in them and use something to tap the cans to make tuned cans and has they evaporate of course they’re going to detune, fully analog.

Bonus- it feeds both body and soul.
They’ve taken down the paywall of the latest Covid-19 episodes, but listening to these really helps tamp down the panic. Also, very smart and funny.

https://cafe.com/insider/
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
The reason I ask is because I'm planning on getting a Virus TI + Modular G1 probably no matter what.

But if G2 can sound as good as Virus TI, and really just do that, it would really just be the same amount of money.

Not sure G2 can sound as good as virus TI though, if you know what I mean. IDK
I don’t think there’s a quantifiable “as good as” between those two. They’re really very different. I think the G2 is way more interesting, but the interface isn’t nearly as fun to use. I looked into buying them for a while but I passed because I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to get the editor to work at some point. That happened to me using my Ensoniq MR Rack.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Nava extra9 and show Jeff Mills how it's done
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Waldorf Microwave XT if you're looking for killer digital.
Forget XT, you can get the original (with analog filters) for $1500 if you're lucky.

It looks like I'll ultimately be around $1500 in with this "drums" thing, not counting the Analog Rytm I had before and that I am integrating into the rig.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
what reason do you recommend G2 over the G1 (rack).

the g1 rack fits better and is way cheaper. the cheapest g2 is 2000.

i mean I'm considering the g2 a bit
i'll try to explain a bit when i get home tonight, but i'd suggest looking at the manuals (module selections in particular) to see the differences between them.

the biggest thing that comes to mind is being able to route audio and MIDI between the four slots. pretty sure the G1 doesn't have much MIDI capability at all (??).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
plus one on this

but its not 1500
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

they have sold for around $1500 over the past few months/years.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If I could get one for that I might consider it. The thought of getting an Octatrack+Nord G1 for the same price does give me second thoughts though.

I didn't realize the AE guys used G2 which tbh does make me wonder if there is something special about it. Apparently its the only hardware they still use
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

made this with the g2 demo. honestly this software is great
probably my MAIN WORRY is this... paying 1500 to unlock what's basically a VST. if I knew for a fact that it was really *sonically* enhanced by the actual hardware, that would sell me on it and make me more willing to invest in it cause it is pretty phenomena

l.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

made another. at this point just weighing the differences and trying to make an educated choice. my mind is all but made up that i am going to get one of them.

need to really educate as to the differences. I do personally think G1 sounds raw, thick, and saturated in a pleasant way. IDK if G2 has that, at all. if it's literally just routing the software through the jacks on the hardware that's kind of whack. G1 clearly has a "this is hardware" sound.

I will have to read up way more because it's a lot to consider. what I know for sure is I want this, the ability to use polyphony and the DSP onboard will make this something I just have to have.

I lean toward G2 because it just seems like the complete, all in one modern option. A really serious instrument. But I still am not sure.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

So basically I own a Micro Modular. I got it for free. It's the G2 demo you can download on the Nord website.

Prove me wrong.

Sure it doesn't have MIDI in, but it's ****ing free.

Buying a Micro Modular when you can download the internal software free with absolutely no difference beside the MIDI in feature is insanity.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I would be very surprised if that Nord G2 could do anything the free VCVRack can't...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
I would be very surprised if that Nord G2 could do anything the free VCVRack can't...
the g2 can eg. run in Windows 10 if you set it to Win95 compatibility mode, has vintage drivers for the vintage sound .. has not been updated for 7 years. all clear advantages. Today, every smartphone probably has more computing power.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

yeah good point. that's a solid counterpoint.

little known fact: you can run the G2 demo with expanded features if you look around. not polyphony, sadly. but you can run midi into it.

I am not 100% in agreement that VCV Rack is quite as good, but it's also extremely powerful and awesome. I'm going to continue experimenting with VCV Rack to see if I can build upon what I've done. It lacks some similar features like knob assignment that are very good in G2. Also I have no idea how to build multi-voice polyphonic in there, I need to learn that.

I agree though, it's hard to justify the price tag for the G2 considering all these factors. Also, I fear that the DSP expansion board isn't as powerful as the price indicates, because even in the demo I seem to be having interference with building my patches much further.

VCV Rack does come very close. IDK. Hard to say without really trying the G2 or G1.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

answer: not much, keep saving
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you want to start making music with hardware now with the current budget. You can get Virus TI Snow used on eBay right now. And a MPC One. That will definitely keep you busy for a while.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I was motivated to make this thread based on how much money I still have left from my tax return.

I already got myself a RYTM, Prophet Rev2, A+H Zed10 Mixer. I've really got everything I need to make music. But the past month I realized I could get all the hardware I've always been dreaming of having.

Just trying to decide what last thing - or two - would complete it. After researching G2, as incredible as it must be to own it and I wish I did, I do think that logistically and logically I can probably get more from really seriously committing to VCV Rack, Max, and Reaktor. And I have the G2 Demo running monophonically using my Rev as a Midi controller.

What I'll say is that using the G2 software with my Rev is definitely more inspiring and satisfying than working with VCV Rack. VCV Rack feels experimental to me rather than like a real musical instrument I want to use every single day. G2 demo feels like a real musical instrument I can dive into and rapidly make something great.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
modor nf-1m
behringer model D
mpc-one
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1500 was my original plan for tax money for music gear. Originally I had more things, but I ended up pairing it down to used Mother-32 and DFAM plus 2 tier stand, and built a small desk setup from IKEA. Didn't end up w/the full 1500, but I've been happy w/it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search