The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My whole setup started sounding distorted and broken!
Old 21st March 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnchrme ➡️
I have tried different headphones. I notice the weird "crackly, wobbly, unstable, distorted, clipping" sound even when replaying certain newly recorded files on different audio devices. I took my synth to other room with my headphones and dialed in some sort of japanese patch and hell that distortion/clipping was there. I switched headphones and it was the same as before. I tried switching different power outlets, cables, used different synth/sources - modular osc, drum machine, another drum machine, another synth etc. to no avail. When replaying sound via active monitoring (PA) I can hear it in there too. Any ideas?
It’s your ears.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
It’s your ears.
Are you a doctor?
Deleted d59bfd5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k ➡️
Please rest your head and body.
Is your physical condition OK?

Quote:
Are you a doctor?
Are you a doctor?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted d59bfd5 ➡️
Are you a doctor?
I just shared what I learned from my experience with physical problems.
I think that taking care of your health is also an important factor in music.
You need to protect yourself, but if you're immersed in music production,
you can forget yourself, so be careful not to harm your health.

You are always healthy and live long.
Make great music!
Old 21st March 2020
It's not my ears. To put this straight I sure did undergo a surgery 11-12 years ago when my left ear drum, inner ear + ear bones and some more got completely replaced/reconstructed. Worked out for me. I go through yearly complex ear checks and last time I was there nothing faulty regarding that was uncovered. My flu and cold is altering my hearing to an extent for sure. Anyway. I showed my test recordings to more of my friends yesterday and they can hear it in there too. One of my friends described what he heard as "rumble and clicky/poppy, noise, diminished signal, squashed signal" some time earlier. I have noticed it only when it got worse and it started to affect all my gear. That's why I am here trying to consult this issue with like minded people who have some experience with this and might hint me to the right direction. I understand your concerns though.

This is from different thread of mine (1 month ago) but you should be able to hear the same qualities in this too - https://soundcloud.com/mnchrme/juno-test/s-5fnoq

Now listen to this (2 months ago) - https://soundcloud.com/mnchrme/bibione1/s-kUDwl (this is almost clean apart from some dirty field recordings and not plagued by the issues I am describing)

You should be able to hear it here too - https://soundcloud.com/mnchrme/drown-spell/s-KtWnN

I am packing my stuff today so tomorrow I will know if it was power outlet/power grid issue.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Are you a doctor?
No, but I play one on TV.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's not my ears. To put this straight I sure did undergo a surgery 11-12 years ago when my left ear drum, inner ear + ear bones and some more got completely replaced/reconstructed. Worked out for me. I go through yearly complex ear checks and last time I was there nothing faulty regarding that was uncovered. My flu and cold is altering my hearing to an extent for sure. Anyway. I showed my test recordings to more of my friends yesterday and they can hear it in there too. One of my friends described what he heard as "rumble and clicky/poppy, noise, diminished signal, squashed signal" some time earlier. I have noticed it only when it got worse and it started to affect all my gear. That's why I am here trying to consult this issue with like minded people who have some experience with this and might hint me to the right direction. I understand your concerns though.

This is from different thread of mine (1 month ago) but you should be able to hear the same qualities in this too - https://soundcloud.com/mnchrme/juno-test/s-5fnoq

Now listen to this (2 months ago) - https://soundcloud.com/mnchrme/bibione1/s-kUDwl (this is almost clean apart from some dirty field recordings and not plagued by the issues I am describing)

You should be able to hear it here too - https://soundcloud.com/mnchrme/drown-spell/s-KtWnN

I am packing my stuff today so tomorrow I will know if it was power outlet/power grid issue.
I was actually kidding. It’s a confounding issue and I’ve never heard of anything like it.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
for the Gen 3 Scarlett 8i6 I assume
https://focusrite.com/en/audio-inter...t/scarlett-8i6

MICROPHONE INPUTS <— XLR probably also deliver phantom power
Impedance 3kΩ

INSTRUMENT INPUTS <— probably the XLR centre Jack. impedance’s for guitar and bass
Impedance 1.5MΩ

LINE INPUTS 1-2 (VARIABLE GAIN) <-- I assume on the rear. not the typical 10KΩ
Impedance 60kΩ

LINE INPUTS 3-6 (FIXED GAIN) <-- I assume on the rear. not the typical 10KΩ
Impedance 44kΩ

if you look at the line in entry on wiki, it looks as if these LINE IN standards are closer to standards which the Wiki states
“are designed to be used with, for example, electric guitar pickups and "direct injection" boxes.”

whereas a line outputs of a synth for a synth would drive a line input and for that it states
“The impedance of a line input is typically around 10 kΩ”

from the Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level

Quote:
Line in
It is intended by designers that the line out of one device be connected to the line input of another. Line inputs are designed to accept voltage levels in the range provided by line outputs. Impedances, on the other hand, are deliberately not matched from output to input. The impedance of a line input is typically around 10 kΩ. When driven by a line output's usual low impedance of 100 to 600 ohms, this forms a "bridging" connection in which most of the voltage generated by the source (the output) is dropped across the load (the input), and minimal current flows due to the load's relatively high impedance.

Although line inputs have a high impedance compared to that of line outputs, they should not be confused with so-called "Hi-Z" inputs (Z being the symbol for impedance) which have an impedance of 47 kΩ to over 1 MΩ. These "Hi-Z" or "instrument" inputs generally have higher gain than a line input. They are designed to be used with, for example, electric guitar pickups and "direct injection" boxes. Some of these sources can provide only minimal voltage and current and the high impedance input is designed to not load them excessively.
Old 21st March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey. I had an issue some time ago with my Juno-6 which I suspected to be broken due it sounding distorted with clicks and pops in the sound. Sent it to synth doc and waiting for the results. Now after I rewind some time I am having/facing a larger scale issue with my whole setup. I am running a modular system + analog synth + pedal board fx + tape machine + Macbook Pro running Ableton Live 9 + audio interface and everything sounds distorted. Almost like if I ran it through some blown out cabinet or something. Clicks, pops, weird buzz, signal drops etc. I tried just modular - simple OSC through filter to VCA - mix - interface (square wave) and it had a distorted, clicky quality to it as well. When I try and record a drum machine straight into my interface without it even remotely touching modular or anything else it needs a lot of gain to get proper recording levels with a lot of background hiss etc. I tried different audio interfaces, different headphones and much more to no avail. What evil is this?

Here some audio examples recorded with Mopho X4 into Scarlett 8i6 3rd gen:

https://soundcloud.com/mnchrme/test-x4/s-Rq2PM

https://soundcloud.com/mnchrme/test-x4-2/s-6Qx4UIzGCig

https://soundcloud.com/mnchrme/drown-spell/s-KtWnN
Dude... people here pay lots of money on plugins to get their gear to sound like that!
Old 22nd March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Apart from minor flu ... .
K, couple of years ago I had a 'minor flu'. Felt a bit sh*t, the only major symptom I had was that my left ear was hearing things a semi-tone lower in pitch than my right. I never go to doctors or hospitals, but I went up to a&e 'cos I was quite freaked out. They didn't laugh at me, but they were laughing at me.

Turn everything off. Get some rest.
Old 12th April 2020
Little update. I have moved to the countryside and hooked my setup. Everything was working perfectly smooth. No issues. Kept it on for like an hour replaying a simple sequence and then it came back. A lot of hiss, distortion, clipping, saturation etc. I literally have no idea.
Old 12th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Little update. I have moved to the countryside and hooked my setup. Everything was working perfectly smooth. No issues. Kept it on for like an hour replaying a simple sequence and then it came back. A lot of hiss, distortion, clipping, saturation etc. I literally have no idea.
you work on a new setup?
Is it the previous setup?
You can check devices one by one.
Quote:
you work on a new setup?
Is it the previous setup?
You can check devices one by one.
I am working with the same setup but not with everything, only most basic pieces. Basically what happened. I setup only my modular, sent a synth inside. Mopho X4 -> Ears -> Quad VCA -> Mutant Hot Glue -> Vermona TAI-4 -> XLR -> simple portable mix -> XLR -> 8i6 3rd gen -> Ableton Live 9. It sounded distorted and crappy as **** but I noticed I was sending signal from headphone output of X4 so I switched to left out (output) via a 6,3mm to 3,5mm and dialed my synth patch from memory again and everything sounded like a breeze. Circa hour later it came back to old tracks - ie - distortion, overblown, unstable, noise, clicks, drops etc. What I noticed before was that the signal was nicely rounded and stable without any problems at all no matter which frequencies I was sweeping through at the time. Also. On Ears it was receiving the signal quite well, didn’t even need to boost trimmer above 50% of its range which wasn’t the case in my apartment complex in the city where I was tuning Ears to 100% and the signal wasn’t stable at all. I am looking into power conditioners as we speak... my last resort. The thing is it doesn’t matter which piece of equipment I am using it’s in everything! No, I am not crazy!
Old 12th April 2020
Update. I have tried to use my TR-8 solo with just headphones and it works without any problems at all from this new power outlet. Apart from that when using my synth solely with headphones and everything turned off the issue I am describing is present. I can hear rumble etc. The synth itself sounds overdrived. When I use my modular solely with everything turned off + headphones the issue is there as well.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The Mopho VCA envelope amount can lead to distortion if set too high, it has a critical influence on the internal gain-staging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark ➡️
The Mopho VCA envelope amount can lead to distortion if set too high, it has a critical influence on the internal gain-staging.
I am aware. Good point! Which settings would you recommend from experience?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I settled on 88, 'cos it was about 2/3 of the way between 0 & 127, with the Mopho x4's polyphony maybe lower, you still have the global patch volume level to boost later if necessary. Apparently the Evolver keyboard has an LED that warns you if you're clipping the VCA.
Old 13th April 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
I settled on 88, 'cos it was about 2/3 of the way between 0 & 127, with the Mopho x4's polyphony maybe lower, you still have the global patch volume level to boost later if necessary. Apparently the Evolver keyboard has an LED that warns you if you're clipping the VCA.
I’ll apply that tomorrow. Thanks!

I went through the factory patch bank on my X4 (with 2 pairs of headphones) and most of the patches sounded overdrived and overblown. In some of them I could hear a component that shouldn’t be there, almost like current modulating or a feedback loop and a lot of clicks... adjusted attack times and it is still there. I know this sounds crazy but I honestly have no idea what’s up with this. There has to be something trivial I am missing.

I took all of my DIY modules out from system to no avail. My system uses top notch power supply with enough juice to supply to my 37-40 orso modules. All were checked and calibrated. So I doubt that would be causing what I am describing.

Tried two seperate places with two different power outlets (grid). Mind you... 120 km far from each other but nature in the countryside is relaxing at least.

Replaced all my cables.

Took my computer to service center.

Got my mental and hearing state checked.

Stopped smoking herbs.

Tried 2 different audio interfaces.

Switched all my power plugs for new ones.

Tried my gear piece by piece.

Updated audio drivers, optimized my Mac.

This is some bad joke...

For reference I have tried these piece by piece so far - Poly 800, Juno-6, DX 21/27/7, Prophet 5, Doepfer Dark Energy II and much more.

When using VST synths or stuff inside my DAW it’s smooth. It only applies to source signals I send externally.

Also tried using 4 different tape machines without any computer in the chain and it was the same crap.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yeah I did notice afterwards that a lot of the Mopho presets have the envelope amount unhelpfully whacked up to 127, and I don't know if it applies to the x4 but there is a known issue with the pulse wave this thread goes into great detail about: The Mopho's pulse wave...
Old 13th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Did you say that it worked for a little while, but then everything got distorted? And only when listening through your audio interfaces? Could it be that your Daw is set to a different sample rate than your windows/OS X, and then it tries to override the settings? I had something like that a long time ago. Cuba Se worked fine. But if my computer tried to play a sound it changed samplerate and everything sounded bad because of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomachine ➡️
Did you say that it worked for a little while, but then everything got distorted? And only when listening through your audio interfaces? Could it be that your Daw is set to a different sample rate than your windows/OS X, and then it tries to override the settings? I had something like that a long time ago. Cuba Se worked fine. But if my computer tried to play a sound it changed samplerate and everything sounded bad because of that.
Yes! When I plugged my setup for the first time everything was smooth and then it came back out of blue. Good point. To clarify. I have tried various ways of monitoring. While using different audio interfaces the issue was still there. I will check your hint out to make sure though.

I have tried to send my synths to various Portastudio decks and it was there. I have tried to use just my synths and then monitored them via headphone/phone out while using 2 pairs of headphones - Beyerdynamic DT-880 600 ohm and Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro which is 250 ohm.

What I am hearing is distortion, almost like interference in the sound. I can hear things modulating within even though I am not doing anything like that to the sound itself. Also. When doing a simple test with source close to sinus without any harmonics there is something which sounds like if there was an oscillator playing beneath the source sound. I got my health and mental state checked so I doubt I am making this up. It’s literally killing me! Music is my entire life and this makes any quality recording or finishing my ideas a distant dream. :(
Old 13th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A) did you try and play a single synth at a different location, only through headphones, and still got the distortion?
B) did you try power conditioners?
Old 13th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Did you try switching your smartphone off, or store it far away from the synths?
Do you wear a smartwatch or carry any other electronic device on you (maybe a pacemaker)?

Or maybe it's time to call the ghostbusters or an exorcist.
Old 14th April 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 46a808e
Quote:
Here some new audio examples.

1. 2x saw osc basic patch -> https://soundcloud.com/mnchrme/test-5/s-s1tFycmGx21

2. 2x triangle osc and lpf -> https://soundcloud.com/mnchrme/test-6/s-4ZCXpRInMrJ

3. self osc filter -> https://soundcloud.com/mnchrme/test-7/s-3fOlr0XtQMs
Dirty pots.
Old 14th April 2020
A) I did. Took my setup from my apartment complex in the bigger city back to my house in the countryside - ie - village. Still the same. I moved away from the city due to quarantine and took some pieces with me. Monitored a single synth with just headphones and it’s there. Didn’t have anything on me at the time. Electric device wise when testing it out.

B) I did not and I am going to order one tomorrow. Not sure which one though. Read through the forums people have opinions as usual so I am not quite sure. Although I called an EE in the evening and had a conversation with him and he doubts it’s a power related issue. He told me it might be LTE, 4G or 5G.

Dirty pots... I doubt it since this is present in my modular system as well and I have it for like a year now. I tested individual modules + some new ones which I got like a month ago, including a brand new Mimeophon and QPAS and other sound sources and even a simple square waveform from Dixie2+ sounds distorted and unstable as hell.

I don’t carry a pacemaker on me at this given time luckily. Maybe I’ll need one soon, lol.

I have tried turning my iPhone and iWatch off but I’ll try turning everything in the house down. Mobile device wise.

Today I killed all grid “circles” in my house, killed literally everything from the grid and only enabled grid in the room I use gear in to no avail. I plugged my synth to wall outlet and plugged my headphones into headphone output -> distortion, unlikely behavior to a synth.

Anyone has a number for “synth busters”? I mean. What the **** is this?
Lives for gear

This is how it started out for Magneto. Use your powers wisely!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
...When using VST synths or stuff inside my DAW it’s smooth. .
Maybe you should just go with VST synths for the time being then. Hardware's nice and all, but it's not worth doing your head in for.
Quote:
Maybe you should just go with VST synths for the time being then. Hardware's nice and all, but it's not worth doing your head in for.
I don’t want to sound pretentious but I started on VST’s back then and then delved into vintage/analog and I feel it’s the route for me. I still use DAW and VST fx as these are really great these days but not for source sounds. Reverbs, delays etc. Everything else I like analog. I thought modular synth is fancy and expensive stuff and when I got it I could finally dial in what I imagined for so long through endless experiments. Nothing beats smoking some and having a free day to spend in close proximity of one of these systems. Something no VST synth could ever deliver to me.

Funnily enough all the 1 and 0 stuff inside my Mac works completely smooth.

I appreciate all your tips. I have no idea. It’s either something I am missing or something so trivial that I don’t see it. Or maybe my whole rig is damaged. I took Drumtracks and 808/909 with me so I’ll test these solo from wall outlet tomorrow if they sound as they should...

TR-8 works cool but that’s a VST in a box, right?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here some new audio examples.

1. 2x saw osc basic patch -> https://soundcloud.com/mnchrme/test-5/s-s1tFycmGx21

2. 2x triangle osc and lpf -> https://soundcloud.com/mnchrme/test-6/s-4ZCXpRInMrJ

3. self osc filter -> https://soundcloud.com/mnchrme/test-7/s-3fOlr0XtQMs
Do you mean the saw wave sounding tone in your triangle and filter res examples? I'm listening though decent headphones but off an inferior phone DAC, so I might miss subtleties.

Edit - there was something that sounded like aliasing at one point in the triangle I think.
📝 Reply