The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is currently the best hardware synth for EDM/House/Techno
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What is currently the best hardware synth for EDM/House/Techno

Hello,

I would like to invest in a modern hardware keyboard synth .
I produce mainly house,progressive house, EDM, and dance music.
Which one would you recommend me ?
Thanks fro your help
Regards
Sergio
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

What do you already have?

The Virus TI can hardly be called "modern" anymore but is probably still at the pinnacle - certainly if it's only in terms of polyphony and multitimbrality.

A Waldorf Quantum or Novation Summit would be good alternatives.

Thing is, a lot of what you're hearing in EDM is software.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
What do you already have?

The Virus TI can hardly be called "modern" anymore but is probably still at the pinnacle - certainly if it's only in terms of polyphony and multitimbrality.

A Waldorf Quantum or Novation Summit would be good alternatives.

Thing is, a lot of what you're hearing in EDM is software.
Yes, you're right about the softwares. But I would like to have something to use in my hands. I find it more intuitive.

I also thought about the Virus. But I know that there are many synths that got released recently. Some of them may have That edm/techno inclined.

I am opened to your ideas and experience.
Cheers
Sergio
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You could frame up a track ITB and use a hardware synth for embellishments, fx sounds, lead sounds, arps, or whatever. You could even use an analog monosynth for that. Which one depends on feature and sound requirements, that is, how you want to use it specifically.

Or you could get an interactive drum/percussion synth to inspire patterns you wouldn't have otherwise come up with. Same idea, where you'd frame your kick/snare ITB and use the synth for extras.

Or you could get a "pad machine" poly, a do it all multi-timbral VA or an MPC, a Summit... Nobody really talks about the Waldorf Kyra. Have they worked out the kinks? What about Elektron gear?

Kind of hard to say what's best without knowing best for what specific purpose (drums, bass, pads, leads, all sounds and sequencing, fx etc), and what do you already use?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
There's no "specific" synth that will somehow make your stuff sound better or worse for a specific genre. In fact you can do your EDM stuff using nothing else but hardware samplers and if it's good - people will like it.

If it's possible - go to some synth shop that has a room filled with synths or just use YouTube - find a synth the sound of which you personally like - and run with it.

Loving your instrument, from its interface to its sound, is one of the key reasons why you will enjoy making music with it.
It can be a vintage analog, it can be a modern VA, it can be FM, heck it can even be a Roland rompler from '90s - all will work.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The Yamaha DX100 is the best synth of all time.
Old 3 weeks ago
depends if you're a patch diver or if you know what you're doing on a hardware synth. For trance and progressive house (in the classic sense circa 2004-2010) the virus TI is a contender for all around best. These days though, a Virus, no matter what model, are a bit long in the tooth. So you might fare better with something like a Hydrasynth if you want modern capabilities and raw power. I can vouch it is the most instanely capably piece if hardware I own. If Anjunadeep/Anjunabeats is of your liking, and you're aiming for that prestine clean sound, you'd be very well off with a Novation Summit or Peak+solid midi keyboard. I've found the Peak/ Summit to have a very appealing sound, that sounds a cut above the rest. Then again, it's all subjective. Hydrasynth has been accused of having low quality sound, which is frankly a load of crap. Go check out a few vids on the site on my signature. I used to do progressive house releases for several labels a decade ago, and alot of the presets on demo are heavily inspired by both new and old progressive house / EDM artists. Might give you a better idea of what each have to offer.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLoops View Post
depends if you're a patch diver or if you know what you're doing on a hardware synth. For trance and progressive house (in the classic sense circa 2004-2010) the virus TI is a contender for all around best. These days though, a Virus, no matter what model, are a bit long in the tooth. So you might fare better with something like a Hydrasynth if you want modern capabilities and raw power. I can vouch it is the most instanely capably piece if hardware I own. If Anjunadeep/Anjunabeats is of your liking, and you're aiming for that prestine clean sound, you'd be very well off with a Novation Summit or Peak+solid midi keyboard. I've found the Peak/ Summit to have a very appealing sound, that sounds a cut above the rest. Then again, it's all subjective. Hydrasynth has been accused of having low quality sound, which is frankly a load of crap. Go check out a few vids on the site on my signature. I used to do progressive house releases for several labels a decade ago, and alot of the presets on demo are heavily inspired by both new and old progressive house / EDM artists. Might give you a better idea of what each have to offer.
Had a listen of the hydra synth. Sounds nice, but to much retro sounds, and not enough modern I find for edm.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'd go for a Virus TI2. It's a fantastic synth. I have two of them.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexo View Post
I'd go for a Virus TI2. It's a fantastic synth. I have two of them.
out of genuine curiosity, may I ask why you own 2 of them? Most def an awesome synth, just wondering if the reason to own 2 of them has to do with something like polyphony or for having 2 for performing live. Regardless, I'll also say lucky you lol. 2 of anything is usually better.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

All synths are great for all genres.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLoops View Post
out of genuine curiosity, may I ask why you own 2 of them? Most def an awesome synth, just wondering if the reason to own 2 of them has to do with something like polyphony or for having 2 for performing live. Regardless, I'll also say lucky you lol. 2 of anything is usually better.
I have two of them for two different setups. One desktop and one Polar
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Waldorf Kyra would seem like an alternative.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Sylenth

Sylenth. It's got the right modulation capabilities. You will need to layer and tweek the lfo rates and gains done to the phases.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I would say that you should go for a Sub 37, it is versatile for different Genres and sounds just great, it has sequencer, arpeggiator, it’s duophonic, no way you can go wrong with that one.
Alternatively you can just get a bass station 2.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Hello,

I would like to invest in a modern hardware keyboard synth .
I produce mainly house,progressive house, EDM, and dance music.
Which one would you recommend me ?
Thanks fro your help
Regards
Sergio
I would lean towards a prophet 08, or X

plays chords, does bass, and has lots of knob tweaking. plus it's newer and probably more reliable than an older virus
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Well if I had to start all over, and I had to buy something new, and price was no object, A Waldorf Quantum and a Dave Smith OB-6. That would probably cover 70% of what I have right now. I might be tempted to buy some Roland thing after that.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

All of them.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
No.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A prophet 6 keyboard and a virus B desktop on the Prophet's midi out.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Don't compromise. Go for the EMS VCS 3
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Prophet 6 and Virus TI2 would take you a lot of places. But yes, I’m sure any Virus will get you there too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

the synth doesn't matter much, but the patches you create on it
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

for EDM … well, MC-707.
just look at its synth engine.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanage View Post
Don't compromise. Go for the EMS VCS 3
nah man you will end up sounding like everyone else
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If your budgets strapped then a few you could get are modal craftsynth 2,ik multimedia uno, korg taktile Triton (you get most of the Triton sound sets built in plus you get the korg legacy collection and that can be controlled via the taktile), behringer pro1, digitakt, korg monologue, korg minilogue xd.

For drums I'd go for arturia spark or native instruments maschine. Both come with loads of kits, there easy to use and sound brilliant plus they both come with controllers.

Id also buy some guitar pedals they'd open up lots of creative options.
Old 1 week ago
3bc
Gear Maniac

If u have small budget, ms20 mini. If u have big budget, OB-6 and U-he repro 5/1.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman Young View Post
The Yamaha DX100 is the best synth of all time.
You spelled mc303 wrong.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Minilogue XD has great bang for the buck and can cover a lot of bases with the custom oscillators
Old 1 week ago
Roland MC 707
Access Virus TI
Waldorf Kyra
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search