yeah roundabout racing
Old 10th April 2020
WDM
Lives for gear

Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Wasn't that one of Sinclair's claims, that the ZX80/81 had the welly to power a moon rocket or a power station
In 1969, the Apollo 11 guidance computer had 4 kilobytes of RAM and a 32kb hard disk.

Just 11 years later, the ZX80 arrived with a whopping 256kb of RAM. EDIT 256 BYTES of RAM, not kb. I'm an idiot

Here's Margaret Hamilton, who led the team that developed the software to run that Apollo computer system:

She and her team are considered the first software engineers (she coined the term). They were among the 400,000 people it took to land humans on the moon and return them safely to Earth.

As a kid, I was obsessed with the Gemini and Apollo space programs. I guess I still am

Last edited by robotunes; 10th April 2020 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: ZX80 had 256 bytes of RAM, not kb, which would have been phenomenal in a home computer back then!
Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
In 1969, the Apollo 11 guidance computer had 4 kilobytes of RAM and a 32kb hard disk.

Just 11 years later, the ZX80 arrived with a whopping 256kb of RAM.

Here's Margaret Hamilton, who led the team that developed the software to run that Apollo computer system:

She and her team are considered the first software engineers (she coined the term). They were among the 400,000 people it took to land humans on the moon and return them safely to Earth.

As a kid, I was obsessed with the Gemini and Apollo space programs. I guess I still am
I too am obsessed with balancing things, I haven't sent anyone to the moon though. Maybe I should, the moon is lonely:
Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Just 11 years later, the ZX80 arrived with a whopping 256kb of RAM.

She and her team are considered the first software engineers. They were among the 400,000 people it took to land humans on the moon and return them safely to Earth.

Its amazing how powerful computers have become and how we take them for granted. Who'ed have thought 50 years ago people would of imagined us sitting at home/work in isolation casually posting full colour multi MB random crazy pics and gifs on a music forum out of boredom.
Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

The culprit
Old 10th April 2020
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
...Except there was no hard disk:

It was all done with "Core Rope Memory"!
Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Its amazing how powerful computers have become and how we take them for granted. Who'ed have thought 50 years ago people would of imagined us sitting at home/work in isolation casually posting full colour multi MB random pics and gifs on a music forum out of boredom.
...using a pocket-size computer/camera/phone/music player that bounces signals off satellites in a split-second!
Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
...using a pocket-size computer/camera/phone/music player that bounces signals off satellites in a split-second!
I read all of that in Marvin the paranoid androids voice

Old 10th April 2020
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
...Maybe if you had pockets as deep as NASA in 1969:
Here's what it looked like:
Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Its amazing how powerful computers have become and how we take them for granted. Who'ed have thought 50 years ago people would of imagined us sitting at home/work in isolation casually posting full colour multi MB random crazy pics and gifs on a music forum out of boredom.
I remember growing up in the 90s not having a computer, and I remember most kids not having one at home either. Going to the computer lab once a week was a thing in school. Then in the early 00s we had a home computer, and I became addicted thanks to things like:

Old 10th April 2020
Gear Head

Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostintheflood View Post
a nice means of transport

Too IKEA.
Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
...Except there was no hard disk:

It was all done with "Core Rope Memory"!
Thanks! Love learning anything about any space program.
Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezisehtnys View Post
I remember growing up in the 90s not having a computer, and I remember most kids not having one at home either. Going to the computer lab once a week was a thing in school. Then in the early 00s we had a home computer, and I became addicted thanks to things like:

It was RS that kept me going during my darkest years.
Attached Thumbnails
Random Image Thread-onions-unite.jpg  
Old 10th April 2020
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Thanks! Love learning anything about any space program.
Well in that case I would be remiss if I did not point you to this:
Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Just 11 years later, the ZX80 arrived with a whopping 256kb of RAM. EDIT 256 BYTES of RAM, not kb. I'm an idiot

Built across the street from where I grew up.
Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
ErMG

boop that snoot.
Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
Well in that case I would be remiss if I did not point you to this:
Thanks for the recommendation!

I prefer documentaries though. Not trying to be snooty. Hearing an astronaut say, "We had a 30% chance of coming back alive" is much different than hearing an actor say it.

What are your fave docs? Chatting with you makes me want to rewatch:

Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
It was RS that kept me going during my darkest years.
I wonder if we ever ran across each other, I started the week RS2 launched. I pretty much wasted entire summers playing Runescape. Remember when this was the pinnacle?
Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search