The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Considering selling Minilogue and buying Alpha Juno
Old 8th March 2020
Lives for gear

Considering selling Minilogue and buying Alpha Juno

First things first: I'm not a real synth player. I can't even play keys, really. I'm just a guitarist and drummer who loves analog synths and has fun futzing around on them.

I've owned a Minilogue (original, not XD) for a year and change now, and I like it, but I've never really loved it. It has some cool sounds in it, but the things that I don't love about it include the shaky tuning stability for the first 10-15 minutes after you turn it on, the fact that some patches sound inexplicably much quieter than others, and the so-so filter. I'm considering moving it along in favor of an Alpha Juno. These are the pros I can see with that:
  • Two more voices
  • DCOs instead of VCOs
  • I'd get a 49- or 61-key MIDI controller out of the deal

Possible cons:
  • Potential issues arising from being a 35 year old instrument
  • No knobs (but software editors help with that)
  • No sequencer or arpeggiator (which, frankly, I've never used on the Korg)
  • Single oscillator per voice, so no ring mod, oscillator sync, or cross-mod
  • Less interesting modulation options in general

Like I said, I'm a noodler. The Minilogue came in handy to add some pads and comping to my band's last record and a short movie soundtrack I did. I have a few monosynths too: Karp Odyssey, Minibrute, and Boog Model D. What say you? Stick with the Korg or take a chance on a lesser Roland?
Old 8th March 2020
I have both. I wouldn’t call an AJ “less” than a Minilogue..gotta respect tha Hoovers at least! Seriously both are dope synths and work well together. The mini is more programmable, but the expanded ADSR envelopes on the AJ make up for that to some degree. In true GS fashion, keep the mini, add the AJ.
Old 8th March 2020
Lives for gear

I meant lesser not in comparison to the Korg, but to bigger, badder, pricier Rolands. Thanks for chiming in.
Old 8th March 2020
Lives for gear

Could just get a Deepmind 12 module, '08/Rev2 module, or Peak. Then it's newer(even used) and a module.
Old 8th March 2020
Lives for gear

I've considered one of the Dave Smith modules. The bump in voices would be nice for sure. On the other hand, I don't have a great MIDI controller at the moment...pretty much just the Minibrute. Plus there's a pretty big price jump there.
Old 8th March 2020
I love my alpha juno 2....its got a great tone, I have the deepmind12, its a fantastic synth two for its price. Maybe consider the Prologue as its available pretty cheap, another great tone. Thats the thing if you are into modulation and want a great fx bank the DM is hard to beat, but tone? The AJ covers quite a bit of ground itself but I really dig its pads.

Dont be scared of the alpha dial, its actually pretty straightforward to program and tweak even without an editor/midi controller
Old 8th March 2020
Deleted 231be8b
bought a juno years ago for that hoover sound. Didn't use it. The dial to program was a pain and the sound was nothing special.

I'd keep your korg.
Old 8th March 2020
Gear Guru

alpha are so easy to get around and the sounds are beautiful, you won't regret it and it is worth a lot more than a hoover, ftr i am an old raver who loves the sound but look waaaaaay beyond that sound for alpha magic

they are easy to fix and very little goes wrong so don't worry about age

if you have had enough of the ML then just go for it, just know it will obviously be very different and you will need to adjust but the way you have to interact with the dial will allow you to make patches you may not have without - the juno is a charmer when you learn it

you could get the ipg800 ipad app for 5quid and control every parameter from that and do saves and patch changes or buy a controller

great synth
Old 8th March 2020
Gear Guru

with a shi77y keyboard though , does it's job well but just be aware it is an on off affair
Old 8th March 2020
Gear Guru

get a pedal or two if you get one, it opens up the synth a lot for playing, and connect a midi cable and allow something to send velocity and aftertouch as the synt hwilll respond to those controllers
Old 8th March 2020
Lives for gear

alpha juno plus programmer is as expensive as a juno 60. I have the minilogue darkside edition and am satisfied with it. I wouldn't give it away.
Old 8th March 2020
Lives for gear

Well you could get a JX-8P for a 2 DCO 6-voice polysynth; I liked it over the two Juno 2 I had and the JX-3P. Fair warning though, it's nearly impossible to escape the 80s sound and the filter resonance was tuned for quasi digital sounds.
Old 8th March 2020
Lives for gear

Maybe consider a deepmind 12 or prologue 8 instead. If you go the editor route (in other wordt you dond mind handson controls) you might as well dedicate a refurbished ipad 2017 pro to do job, as I dont think the alpha juno’s sound is that special.
Old 8th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
alpha juno plus programmer is as expensive as a juno 60.
Are you taking a little poetic license here? I'm not considering a hardware programmer, but even if I were, I don't know where I could find a Juno 60 for that kind of money.
Old 8th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopysnorp View Post
Are you taking a little poetic license here? I'm not considering a hardware programmer, but even if I were, I don't know where I could find a Juno 60 for that kind of money.
no idea what you mean.
comes a little bit where you are ... we have 106s for 800 to 1k .. 60s something like that ..an mks50 with pg is in the same range ..
may not search on reverb or ebay .. by the way, mks / alphas are great without a programmer
Old 9th March 2020
Lives for gear

They are both great synths, but different flavors. I own a MKS-50 (rackmount if the Juno 1) and had a MonoLogue (but have used a MiniLogue)

The Juno is great. It just works. As far as limitations - to me is roughly as limited as the MiniLogue, but has some clever tricks that get you a lot of range (much like the Korg)

To me - the big question is the interface and your workflow. Will you enjoy using a VST / single knob as much as the knob per function on the Korg? Only you know that answer.
Old 9th March 2020
Quote:
alpha juno plus programmer is as expensive as a juno 60.
$2500 for Alpha Juno with programmer? No way...There are modern 3rd party programmers available for about $300.
That means $800 for a whole set.
Old 9th March 2020
Lives for gear

In NYC a used Juno will set you back $200-500
There are 3rd party programmers for like $200-300, and there are a few software ones that are $0-50

(^ for whatever that’s worth to this conversation)
Old 9th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Creek View Post
$2500 for Alpha Juno with programmer? No way...There are modern 3rd party programmers available for about $300.
That means $800 for a whole set.
who said 2.5k.. lol.. no reverb joke prices please..where are you from beverly hills or aspen
Old 9th March 2020
Gear Head
I don’t have a minilogue but I do have a prologue 16, as well as an Alpha Juno 2, and have used a friends minilogue quite a bit. I would definitely recommend going the AJ route, the alpha dial really is not so bad to use, although of course not as straight forward as the minilogue/prologue. For what they sell for though, the AJs are an absolute steal for the sound, and 6 voices makes a big difference from 4
Old 9th March 2020
Gear Addict

alpha junos are way nicer sounding, imo... use an ipad to control the thing software is like $4?
Old 9th March 2020
Lives for gear

415.-

300.-

315.-

Old 9th March 2020
I've had an alpha juno 2 for over 20 years now, but I'd honestly say that most modern poly synths this day and age sound better/do more/are friendlier to use.

The weird envelope is kinda cool for odd attack sounds, I like the odder waveforms, it's fun to play Dye Witness with hoovers for 10 minutes, but at this point it's showing its age, analog or not. I'd pick almost anything DCO or VA over it.

Maybe not so much in the early 2000s or what have you (ew SH201). before the analog/knob renaissance we're going through now came about.
Old 9th March 2020
Gear Head

There's a good Alpha Juno editor with Ctrlr https://ctrlr.org/ You'll need a decent midi cable like the Roland Um One. The juno is great, tons of patches on the net that bring it to life. Chord memory mode is great aswell.

https://ctrlr.org/ttps://audiobombs....zer-programmer
Old 9th March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopysnorp View Post
I'm considering moving it along in favor of an Alpha Juno.
I've had an AJ1 since they first came out in the UK, and mostly it was used as a controller for modules when using an atari/cubase set up, but for the majority of it's life it's been gathering dust and dead daddy long legs at the back of a wardrobe.

I would personally stick with the Korg and forget the Alpha - For me it's nothing special now, and certainly not as versatile or immediate.
Old 9th March 2020
Lives for gear

Funny to hear people complaining about the Alpha Juno sound. Truth be told I prefer it to the Korg Logues, and some days I prefer it to my Prophet 6.

Admittedly, I often wish for a simpler envelope

To me, it does the Roland thing really well which is “great big sweet spot” - it just works.
Old 9th March 2020
Lives for gear

The alpha juno is a good addition to a Minilogue but not a replacement. They probably make a great pair together. I'm not sure why you think DCOs are better than VCOs
Old 9th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
The alpha juno is a good addition to a Minilogue but not a replacement. They probably make a great pair together. I'm not sure why you think DCOs are better than VCOs
Because retuning them 3 times until 30 minutes has passed is a pain. At least that was the case with the Neutron I had briefly. I prefer VCO, but I can see where others wouldn't want to put up with it.
Old 9th March 2020
Gear Guru

I’d skip the Alpha and ditch the Minilogue and instead look at the System 8. For a bit more money you get a lot more synth and a nice interface
Old 9th March 2020
Quote:
who said 2.5k.. lol.. no reverb joke prices please..where are you from beverly hills or aspen
I don't know where you are getting your Juno 60s at bargain prices. Maybe garage sales? All Reverb/ebay prices are pretty much the same. Craigslist is a bit cheaper, but not always. And there is more risk at Craigslist...
📝 Reply