The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What have we gained in almost 40 years of gear evolution?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What have we gained in almost 40 years of gear evolution?

besides technical "progress" in realms of interoperability, features density, and friendlier UIs ?

So let me ask this again: In almost 40 years since this track, and with our 2020 marvel gear, how much better than this track can we really do ?

I wonder.

Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 3eb1160
Yeah get a clone of a synth of the 70s and then say improvement is not needed and become a fanboy of the retro nostalgia.
Next move a discussion about which synths of the 70s must be cloned.
Next next move a review of new products from other brands that sound sterile and digital.
Have fun.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

A crap load of vst’s and plug-ins.
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 3eb1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundTound View Post
A crap load of vst’s and plug-ins.
Sure.
And before a crap bunch of chips and MB.
Let's go back to accordions and lyras.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
besides technical "progress" in realms of interoperability, features density, and friendlier UIs ? So let me ask this again: In almost 40 years since this track, and with our 2020 marvel gear, how much better than this track can we really do ? I wonder.
To be Mr.Obvious you are putting the gear before the song. And there are hundreds of songs that surpass this song.

And in terms of the synth and drum machine - that's all a matter of preference and not one of superiority.
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 3eb1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
To be Mr.Obvious you are putting the gear before the song. And there are hundreds of songs that surpass this song.

And in terms of the synth and drum machine - that's all a matter of preference and not one of superiority.
Useless to discuss with this user.
He has an agenda.
It's just a crap thread to send people to buy china synths.
Old 4 weeks ago
Better processing power that allows for better effects, audio processing and sound generation ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1. affordability
2. affordability
3. portability/wearability
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
besides technical "progress" in realms of interoperability, features density, and friendlier UIs ?

So let me ask this again: In almost 40 years since this track, and with our 2020 marvel gear, how much better than this track can we really do ?

I wonder.

Umm........The Volca series!
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 3eb1160
You see?
He puts a thread and doesn't reply.
Remove this ****.
Old 4 weeks ago
The music world stopped for me in 1979, all screen based UI's suck so most of my gear is one knob per function. I'm 100% OTB as a result.

What we have gained is cheap SMT to recreate everything up to 1979. I'm LMAO and very happy how it turned out ymmv.
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 3eb1160
That's the end.
This forum is over.
Bye bye and good luck
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

what a track.

can we stop the accordions nonsense? this is a forum about electronic music, not classical music. if you want to make music with stones and strings, cool. it's not electronic music, though.

the question is a good one.

what has really been added to electronic music by computers, digitization, vsts, etc? apart from convenience, really?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

what a boring piece of track
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Serious answer: If this track is your reference, nothing has changed. And nothing will change.
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 3eb1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider View Post
what a track.

can we stop the accordions nonsense? this is a forum about electronic music, not classical music. if you want to make music with stones and strings, cool. it's not electronic music, though.

the question is a good one.

what has really been added to electronic music by computers, digitization, vsts, etc? apart from convenience, really?
Yeah it's a very good question with an attached great piece of music.
Just get the synth clones and make 70s music, they are cheap, they listen to customers, they love their customers especially when they put threads like this and then stop replying.
I still have 72 hours before my account is deleted.
It's becoming a very painful forum.
Total no sense.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

“It’s not the spoon that bends rather, it’s YOU that bends”
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What a bizzare question, in my opinion; it's basically "why do modern synths recreate the same sound as forty year old synths when I'm remaking a track that was originally produced forty years ago?" Of course it will sound similar when you're trying to make it sound similar!

What have we gained since then, besides affordability and better UI and smaller sizes and interoperability (all of which seem to me to be pretty significant advances)? How about digital synthesis techniques--the DX7 and successors, or the D50, for instance? Sixteen channel polyphony? Multi-channel recording with practically unlimited dynamic range and absolutely flat frequency response over the entire audio spectrum and non-linear editing capabilities that ordinary people can easily afford?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

What can gear from 40 years ago do that modern gear can't?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

I wonder.

A lot better. I couldn’t get past the first 20 seconds of that song. Maybe there’s some random change based on analog drift, but that crap sounded mechanical and repetitive to me, and not in a good way, like it can when it’s up against a natural human voice or acoustic instrument.

What we gained is control. Velocity, aftertouch, and a healthy mod matrix go a long way towards making a synth playable and not just something that repeats a sequence while you tweak knobs. Sure, instruments like the CS80 had similar expressive options, but it was vastly expensive and weighed as much as a small car. Not something that an average musician would want to drag out to a gig. Anyway, I’m glad I have some analogs, but they’re all modern and if I had to choose a single piece of hardware, it would be an Osmose or Hydrasynth before it was a Jupiter 8.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
“It’s not the spoon that bends rather, it’s YOU that bends”
Why is everyone always trying to bend spoons? Is the fork lobby too powerful?
Old 4 weeks ago
ValhallaDSP

Think about what we are typing on. Whatever device it is, I can guarantee you that it has the power to replicate the functionality of most of the recording gear found in studios 40 years ago.

I’m typing this from a boat, crossing the Salish Sea. On a device that fits in my pocket. That can record HD video and multitrack audio. As well as all sorts of virtual synths, using synthesis techniques that were only in the realm of academia 40 years ago. Plus, I have more information available at my fingertips than was ever available in the world’s largest libraries.

Sitting next to me is another computer. That I use to CODE digital effects. That I sell to people over the Internet. They send me money, I send them plugins, all through wires and fiber optics and airwaves and space.

There are lots of troubles in the world right now. But the current state of electronic music tools is AWESOME.
Old 4 weeks ago
ValhallaDSP

Oh, and in my carry on bag? There’s a tiny analog synth (SE-02), that is cheap and is essentially a programmable Minimoog. Back home, I have a few new Moogs (Grandmother, Matriarch) that are semi-modular, and blow away my 40+ year old vintage Moogs.

Surface mount technology has led to a new analog revolution.

Last edited by seancostello; 4 weeks ago at 06:05 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yep its pretty impressive the whole automation of constructing the circuit boards by a kind of robots , it seem like new technology speedup next technology . People should be creative in what they use , thats the only thing that we are different from robots
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ah, the Salish Sea, how it makes me pine for the Fjords....
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Why is everyone always trying to bend spoons? Is the fork lobby too powerful?
They’re a tad stabby.
Old 4 weeks ago
Can you please repeat the question?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

F*ck if I know. I’m still happy with a piano.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search