The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What have we gained in almost 40 years of gear evolution?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I thought we all knew this thread was just a thinly veiled way of saying, “I only like old music.”
Sometimes I'm an optimist.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It's 99% talent / 1% gear
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

For me it’s been about a pound per year.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
Chlamydia?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Or perpetual procrastination.

I simply haven't decided yet.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Well, I'm glad that we're mostly not arguing over analog vs digital anymore. Like there can be a versus. I'm digging this new spirit of embracing digital! Now we can just argue over B.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Wait, what? No, screw Digital.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

compared to 40 years ago: a lot more affordable gear, easier home recording, and greater accessibility on how to use it

problem is there are no new SOUNDS.

from when electric instruments were new, in the '60's, it took about 40 years to exhaust the sonic possibilities.

what are we going to do next?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

40 years ago few people had access to the best tools for recording or understood how to make a commercial recording. Today everybody has access to good tools and access to how commercial recordings are made. The evolution of taste in music however is moving in the opposite direction. It's all repeat repeat, repeat, repeat now. Just using Shakespeare's pen is not necessarily going to create a masterpiece.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Since forty years ago: FM, phase modulation, wavetable, physical modeling, virtual analog, sample playback.

Oh, and IMO, that song sucked. Wasn't a good example of expert use of synths.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
besides technical "progress" in realms of interoperability, features density, and friendlier UIs ?

So let me ask this again: In almost 40 years since this track, and with our 2020 marvel gear, how much better than this track can we really do ?

I wonder.

You can't, if your imagination is stuck there.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo C View Post
Everything?
haha, so true.

Last year I challenged myself to create a 4x mono 8bit track using modern technology (no fancy fx used).
It's miles ahead of what an Amiga 500 (or 1200) could do ~30 years ago in terms of sound quality.

4ch_8bit_amiga_techno_challenge-20Jun2019_320kbps

(this is strictly *just for fun*)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I thought we all knew this thread was just a thinly veiled way of saying, “I only like old music.”
Yeah.

“Everything sucks now.”

“So what? Why should we care that you’re miserable?”

The past has value, the future has value. You can’t recapture the past, you can only move forward. Trying to live forever in a snapshot and a moment that instantly became the past is ignoring growth.

To the original poster, how do you think you’ve changed musically in the last 40 years? Surely something comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks bolero View Post
You don’t need new tools (though there are many.)

You need more imagination to put the pieces together.

A lack of ability to create new things is not a lack of new things.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Look Mum No Computer made the FartBox ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I beg to differ. When the Korg M1 came out everybody was in awe about the complex textured sounds possible with it, that weren't possible with previous synths.

Complex VAs such as the Virus also gave us sounds that weren't possible before.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
Yeah.

“Everything sucks now.”

“So what? Why should we care that you’re miserable?”

The past has value, the future has value. You can’t recapture the past, you can only move forward. Trying to live forever in a snapshot and a moment that instantly became the past is ignoring growth.

To the original poster, how do you think you’ve changed musically in the last 40 years? Surely something comes to mind.
Perfectly said. I can tell you that in 1980 I was only dimly aware of synthesis, and that awareness was that it was a sort of cheezey substitute for acoustic instruments. I was furious that I’d spent my paper route money on a Star Wars soundtrack album that wasn’t John Williams and his orchestra, but instead done by the “Electric Moog Orchestra.” Look it up on YouTube. It’s classic cheeze. My first synth was actually a Mattel Synsonics drum machine and I can assure you that I wished it sounded like a real kit, but it was better than nothing. 3 years later I was working for Laurie Anderson, so huge change happened in my world during that time and my initial conceptions of synthesizers had been blown up and swept away. I had a 106 by that point, but my days were spent with Synclaviers, Model Ds, Poly61s, etc. People forget that a Synclavier II system was $300,000 in the 80s and now you can own the software for $150.

Quote:
You don’t need new tools (though there are many.)

You need more imagination to put the pieces together.

A lack of ability to create new things is not a lack of new things.
There have always been crappy bands with people full of a lot of love for music or the limelight but little imagination. I remember some kids in our high school who wanted to recruit my brother and I into their band and when we were trying out we had to hold back our laughter because their song was literally Hotel California with different (crappy) lyrics. Now you can’t really blame the price of a Synclavier on your inability to use those types of sounds, so it’s all on you. I love synthesis of all types, but I’ll fully admit that a lot of the time I end up using a VCO sawtooth with a bit of filter going into some distortion because I don’t need a creative sound. The creativity is in the music and some experimental modulation-o-rama sound would just distract.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post
I beg to differ. When the Korg M1 came out everybody was in awe about the complex textured sounds possible with it, that weren't possible with previous synths.

Complex VAs such as the Virus also gave us sounds that weren't possible before.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korg_M1

"The Korg M1 is a synthesizer and music workstation manufactured by Korg from 1988 to 1995."

dude, that is over 25 years ago!!

when did the virus come out? 15 years ago?

*edit* virus first released 1997

I am assuming this thread is talking about 2019/2020 timeframe?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am assuming this thread is talking about 2019/2020 timeframe?
You are assuming wrongly, read the first post of the thread and the thread title.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post
You are assuming wrongly, read the first post of the thread and the thread title.
"In almost 40 years since this track, and with our 2020 marvel gear, how much better than this track can we really do ?"

enlighten me
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It's about what we have today compared to what we had 40 years ago, so everything released in the last 40 years counts, or are you purely using brand new 2020 gear?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

well, I just reread the OP again, slowly

you are right!

I don't get the premise: it seems pretty obvious. I thought he was asking what's new in 2020 that hasn't been done before. that's what you get for skimming threads

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

What have we gained ? Just four essential things, gear related :

- Reliable music data support (yes, digital : wav files on HDD, SDD, USB keys and so on...)
- DAWs. Ever tried to do serious multitrack pieces of music in 1980 ? Yes, there was some 4 tracks cassette decks, overly expensive, even for the average musician. A privilege reserved to studios.
- VST/AU plug-ins with decent presets management : ever tried to save presets of a TX7 with a cassette ? I did, and it was each time a nightmare...
- Affordable gear. Just an example : I remember when the first Roland SRV digital reverb appeared (I think it was in 1985) : the price of the thing was totally unreachable for someone as me who was just finishing his studies.

After this, whether all this have brought us "better" music deserves another debate...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
compared to 40 years ago: a lot more affordable gear, easier home recording, and greater accessibility on how to use it

from when electric instruments were new, in the '60's, it took about 40 years to exhaust the sonic possibilities.

Start writing better songs, (Whatever type of music you make.)

When you do that gear and "New sounds" are put back into perspective,

It becomes: "NURSE! Scalpel!...clamps...sutures...close em' up"

Not: "Nurse! Scalpel!...Umm...lets try that new scalpel...I think that's more "Me"....Wait...give me the first one again....maybe we should try scissors...I dunno...Let's go shopping, I just don't think we have the stuff for "our" kind of surgery...throw all these old ones on Craigslist...Yes! I can see he's bleeding out, but I'm just not FEELING IT..I need surgical tools that foster creativity, not stifle it."
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
It's not just about the Song.

Sometimes it's the journey, not the destination.

The Big Picture is composed of endless small pictures. It's not just about the Song.

Before a successful surgery, there's a history of science and tech innovation, med school, teams of support personnel, cottage industries surrounding medicine, insurance, politics / policy, IT and civic infrastructure, ad nauseum. So it's not just about a specific, completed surgical procedure.

Electronic musicians are of all different types, and at different stages, and have different priorities. It's not just about the Song:

- collectors / completists
- eargasms
- mad scientist sound design
- nostalgia
- non-musical engineer types
- impulse buying
- tool worship
- dabblers

TLDR;

Gearslutz, vs songslutz.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
It's not just about the Song.

Sometimes it's the journey, not the destination.

The Big Picture is composed of endless small pictures. It's not just about the Song.

Before a successful surgery, there's a history of science and tech innovation, med school, teams of support personnel, cottage industries surrounding medicine, insurance, politics / policy, IT and civic infrastructure, ad nauseum. So it's not just about a specific, completed surgical procedure.

Electronic musicians are of all different types, and at different stages, and have different priorities. It's not just about the Song:

- collectors / completists
- eargasms
- mad scientist sound design
- nostalgia
- non-musical engineer types
- impulse buying
- tool worship
- dabblers

TLDR;

Gearslutz, vs songslutz.
Personally, "it's all about the song" is at the top of my list and shall remain so, and everything else (while also on the list) follows that.

All important. Just less so.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Personally, "it's all about the song" is at the top of my list and shall remain so, and everything else (while also on the list) follows that.
Good for you, it's a good goal. For me, it's about half as important as all the other factors.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
Good for you, it's a good goal. For me, it's about half as important as all the other factors.
Sometimes it's quite difficult to stay focused, but that's the goal at least.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Sometimes it's quite difficult to stay focused, but that's the goal at least.
For sure, focus is good. Priorities are different, and apparently since I hardly bother to shift over to my hardly set up recording environment, it must not be a priority goal.

My focus seems to be on the tech side of things

When I'm into the muse side of things, I open up on the piano. Too bad I don't have an always-ready, always on virtual sidekick recording engineer to capture the tons of ideas that have evaporated into the nether.

Workstations! Did we have complete turnaround workstations 40 years ago?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
What have we gained ? Just four essential things, gear related :

- Reliable music data support (yes, digital : wav files on HDD, SDD, USB keys and so on...)
- DAWs. Ever tried to do serious multitrack pieces of music in 1980 ? Yes, there was some 4 tracks cassette decks, overly expensive, even for the average musician. A privilege reserved to studios.
- VST/AU plug-ins with decent presets management : ever tried to save presets of a TX7 with a cassette ? I did, and it was each time a nightmare...
- Affordable gear. Just an example : I remember when the first Roland SRV digital reverb appeared (I think it was in 1985) : the price of the thing was totally unreachable for someone as me who was just finishing his studies.

After this, whether all this have brought us "better" music deserves another debate...
Yeah, but I think the OP's point is these are mere practical advancements, but he/she questions the existence of real sonic/musical advancement compared to decades ago, despite today's world's religious obsession with "technical advancement" and the arrogant belief that we are always better then before.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORCHESTRION View Post
You can strip your DAW out (get rid of virtually everything)

Only keep 3 or 4 vintage synth plugins

You'll be right back to 1980
difficult to make a truly 1980s sounding track with such equipment I'd say. Even using some old synths it would be hard.

Listen to the 80s remakes of newer songs they all sound very flat and boxy.
The 80s often had a very hi-fi and lively sound. Think Dire Straits, or this..

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search