The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cheatah
Old 29th February 2020
Lives for gear

Cheatah

Is it cheating to not program patterns from scratch? To use preset patterns and alter them, or even use them unaltered but change the sounds or feed them to external sound modules so they sound different? Must we always program patterns from scratch?
Old 29th February 2020
Lives for gear

There are some award winning artists creatively using presets these days. If a sound works, use it. That said, the best way to make sure you’re designing your own brand is to design your own sounds, and personally I find it faster to dial something in to my own taste vs scrolling presets. To each their own.
Old 29th February 2020
Gear Maniac

There are no rules, so there’s no such thing as “cheating.” Do whatever sounds good to you.
Old 29th February 2020
Gear Head

Some people would call it cheating, i guess. I wouldn't be bothered if they did. Whatever works in serving the songs works for me.
Old 29th February 2020
Here for the gear

Cheating, no. Not putting in the effort because lack of time/skill, yes.

Does it subtract something from the finished work? In my book, yes, but my book is hardly a best seller.
Old 29th February 2020
Even the great Liam Howlett of The Prodigy fame used lots of preset sounds from synths on his Fat of the Land album.
Old 29th February 2020
Lives for gear

Check the 1 million of famous songs using factory presets on DX-7.

Making sounds for making music is not a competition.

With a VST plugin plus some DAW automation and effects you can make a better sound than any expensive hardware synth on its own and no one will "disqualify" you.
Old 29th February 2020
Here for the gear

Presets != Patterns.
Old 29th February 2020
Lives for gear

Everyone has access to presets but not everyone can make great music that people love. There's a lot more needed to make great music than using presets, so no it doesn't matter.
Old 29th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku View Post
Even the great Liam Howlett of The Prodigy fame used lots of preset sounds from synths on his Fat of the Land album.
dont start getting ' Rational ' .......what we want here is not rationality but FEAR
Old 29th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sds1fs1r View Post
Is it cheating to not program patterns from scratch? To use preset patterns and alter them, or even use them unaltered but change the sounds or feed them to external sound modules so they sound different? Must we always program patterns from scratch?

If it feels like you shouldn’t be doing it then don’t. If it doesn’t bother you then carry on.
Old 29th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckjoykid View Post
Cheating, no. Not putting in the effort because lack of time/skill, yes.
Peter Gabriels releases used tons of presets as did half the worlds most talented composers, are you calling them lacking in skill ?

Phillip glass used presets , Harold Budd did , Orb did , Eno did ?

all that matters in the end art and how it affects others

Does using presets subtract from the music thats made with them ? no accept in our tiny bubble of artistic ego, not in the 3rd party / listener's perception of the art.
Old 29th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sds1fs1r View Post
theres no such thing as cheating in art as all arts about effecting change in another by creating a work of art.

The its not the process thats the essence of art but its effective power and intention.

The idea you can cheat is a myth created by the artistic ego which seeks to validate itself as ' great artist ' or ' innovator ' or ' genius ' or 'legend ' or whatever ****e it needs to prop up its bad childhood and insecurity complex.

Do what you will , Use what you will , Make art that carries energy and shares something with other users
Old 29th February 2020
Here for the gear

PATTERNS... as in melody lines, midi sequences, chord progressions, not patches. I feel I am taking crazy pills.
Old 29th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Yes, OP said PATTERNS — not presets. I think a lot of people misread the post.

It’s better to figure out your own rules instead of worrying about what other people think is “cheating”, but I am curious what kind of patterns you’re talking about sds1fs1r. If you’re using, say, EDM MIDI packs to make EDM, then it likely won’t sound very original and your own contribution may be minimal, but is it cheating? No. It just may not be very good music — or it may be great! It all depends on what you do after you drag that pre-made pattern into your DAW (assuming you use a DAW).
Old 29th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
award winning artists
Old 29th February 2020
Lives for gear
I was hoping this thread is about Cheetah MS6
Old 29th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
I was hoping this thread is about Cheetah MS6
Same lol

Who gives a sh1t about presets?

My synths that have presets I use them, the others that dont.....I dont

Make music!
Old 1st March 2020
Lives for gear

regarding preset patterns:
treat it as borrowing.
borrowing was absolutely OK in music for ages, until relatively recent (about a century) copyright system. but even them music can't exist without it.

regarding preset sounds: it's blessing.
people like me, who do music in their spare time, often just don't have enough time for sound design.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search