The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which IOS/hardware groovebox?
Old 29th February 2020
Here for the gear

Which IOS/hardware groovebox?

So, I've only really dabbled since selling my RS7000/MS2000 combo for a powermac setup over 15 years ago - found that computers just don't inspire me and I couldn't sit at one in the evening after eight hours in front of a laptop at work.

I changed career a couple years ago to a non-office job and now find myself much less stressed and able to focus on hobbies again. I'm only a hobbyist but I'd like a setup that works for making techno (leaning towards atonal/industrial aesthetic) and has enough capability for basic mastering - e.g. compression (incl sidechain), decent eq, a few solid effects.

I like grooveboxes and there are certainly many powerful ones to choose from right now, but I've got an old IPad Air 2 kicking about, so kinda makes sense to use that if possible. I got on well with Caustic before but eventually became frustrated with the sound quality - nowhere close to the fidelity I'd get loading up some free plugins in Reaper, for example. The Digitakt also sounds considerably better to my ears.

I've done some research but it's hard to get the exact answers due to information overload. For example, Gadget supposedly sounds better than Caustic, but does it sound better than GR16? How do these both compare to the Digitakt?

I'm open to buying a hardware box as I like the tactile feel and honestly they just inspire me more - it's like sitting down with an instrument. However, I'd only really want to spend about £500 tops as just splurged on a not very sensible car and saving for a house. Hard to justify big outlay when I've already got a Surface Pro and Ipad which I'm not using at all. I would probs want to buy new tbh as I'm a bit ocd about wobbly knobs and sticky buttons etc.

Any recommendations?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search