The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is there a MIDI sequencer like this?
Old 29th February 2020
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Somebodyperson's Avatar
 

Is there a MIDI sequencer like this?




I was wondering if a hardware MIDI sequencer like this exists, one that I could use with basically any synth that has a MIDI port.
Old 29th February 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Oscar1's Avatar
Yamaha Tenori-on was the original hardware that these ipad apps mimic. Big novelty and very quickly discontinued... they even tried to do a cheaper version TNR-O when the first magnesium $1k TNR-W flopped and that new flopped as well, so they got the message that very few people actually want this. But boy they tried to push it hard. But these days $5 ipad app does a better job so that's the story.
Old 29th February 2020
  #3
There are all sorts of generative and non-linear sequencing machines in eurorack format. Put some in a skiff with a CV-MIDI module and you can have a unique system. Experiment in VCV rack first to get an idea of what you want.
Old 29th February 2020
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Somebodyperson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous signal View Post
There are all sorts of generative and non-linear sequencing machines in eurorack format. Put some in a skiff with a CV-MIDI module and you can have a unique system. Experiment in VCV rack first to get an idea of what you want.
Eurorack is out of my budget, else I would have dived in long ago.
Old 29th February 2020
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Somebodyperson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Yamaha Tenori-on was the original hardware that these ipad apps mimic. Big novelty and very quickly discontinued... they even tried to do a cheaper version TNR-O when the first magnesium $1k TNR-W flopped and that new flopped as well, so they got the message that very few people actually want this. But boy they tried to push it hard. But these days $5 ipad app does a better job so that's the story.
Thanks a million! I will be buying one....that is, if that is MIDI out it has.
Old 1st March 2020
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Oscar1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
Thanks a million! I will be buying one....that is, if that is MIDI out it has.
Honestly for the money I would not bother, unless you particularly like the LED effect for live performance. That would be the only thing... it is one of those things that can definitely work better on ipad than on hw.. but if you like it, it was well made - esp. the tnr-w - magnesium and leds on both sides so live audience see what you do. It was a 'future of music" in 2005-6, just before ipads took off and hijack the niche market of weird instruments with $5 buck apps.. well some now cost $20, coz they wised up.

Anyway check for yourself: https://de.yamaha.com/files/download...o_en_qg_a0.pdf

I am sucker for weird things, but passed on tenori-on. In 2006 I was this close (shows very small gap between his fingers) of buiyng one though. I even have some memories that I may bought one but the transaction didn't go through or something like that. Then soon enough ipad happened and I forgot about the whole thing. Still kudos to yamaha for doing the unusual, just bad timing...
Old 1st March 2020
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Somebodyperson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Honestly for the money I would not bother, unless you particularly like the LED effect for live performance. That would be the only thing... it is one of those things that can definitely work better on ipad than on hw.. but if you like it, it was well made - esp. the tnr-w - magnesium and leds on both sides so live audience see what you do. It was a 'future of music" in 2005-6, just before ipads took off and hijack the niche market of weird instruments with $5 buck apps.. well some now cost $20, coz they wised up.

Anyway check for yourself: https://de.yamaha.com/files/download...o_en_qg_a0.pdf

I am sucker for weird things, but passed on tenori-on. In 2006 I was this close (shows very small gap between his fingers) of buiyng one though. I even have some memories that I may bought one but the transaction didn't go through or something like that. Then soon enough ipad happened and I forgot about the whole thing. Still kudos to yamaha for doing the unusual, just bad timing...
What can I say, I am a hardware junkie. I prefer the orange lights of the cheaper one....but the build quality and battery power of the original one. I will probably end up getting the cheaper one and if I ever wanna take it on the go, tape a battery back to it.
Old 1st March 2020
  #8
Lives for gear
 
tricera's Avatar
 

Shame this didn't have MIDI ....



.... and it looks like it's been discontinued.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Oscar1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
What can I say, I am a hardware junkie. I prefer the orange lights of the cheaper one....but the build quality and battery power of the original one. I will probably end up getting the cheaper one and if I ever wanna take it on the go, tape a battery back to it.
Well, if you get one, definitely post some stuff. Despite nobody wants them, they still sell for quite a lot... I honestly had not seen one in real life - ever.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #10
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Honestly for the money I would not bother, unless you particularly like the LED effect for live performance. That would be the only thing... it is one of those things that can definitely work better on ipad than on hw.. but if you like it, it was well made - esp. the tnr-w - magnesium and leds on both sides so live audience see what you do. It was a 'future of music" in 2005-6, just before ipads took off and hijack the niche market of weird instruments with $5 buck apps.. well some now cost $20, coz they wised up.

Anyway check for yourself: https://de.yamaha.com/files/download...o_en_qg_a0.pdf

I am sucker for weird things, but passed on tenori-on. In 2006 I was this close (shows very small gap between his fingers) of buiyng one though. I even have some memories that I may bought one but the transaction didn't go through or something like that. Then soon enough ipad happened and I forgot about the whole thing. Still kudos to yamaha for doing the unusual, just bad timing...
My wife bought me one, so it’ll always have a spot in my studio, but you’re right. I think there’s even a Tenori-On iPad app, if memory serves.

That said, it’s a cool device and it looks great. If you can find one cheap, I’d pick one up for it’s novel aspects. If there’s one thing my daughter goes for in my studio, it’s the Tenori-on. She loves messing with it.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
SawneyBean's Avatar
Synthstrom Deluge...

Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump