The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I just purchased a KORG TRIDENT MK1
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I just purchased a KORG TRIDENT MK1

I'm a bit nervous, as this is this is the first vintage synth I've ever purchased. In fact, it will be the oldest synths I've ever owned, as one of my first synths I bought in 1985 (as a teenager with my paper route money) was a Korg Poly 61... which was 2 years newer than the Trident. Anyway, I am excited to finally get that vintage sound I've been wanting for many years now. The vintage sound of both a Trident and an Oberheim OBx (and Xa) is a sound I have been memorized by since I was a kid. I got the Trident for a price I was happy with and it is in pretty good physical shape (from the photos) and very important to me, it has MIDI installed. I know that the Trident is somewhat limited in its sonic spectrum as opposed to other synths, but since I am blessed to own multiple fantastic synths, I believe that the Trident will fill a place in my sound spectrum that gives me what I've been missing. I should have it in 2 weeks- Wish me luck!

UPDATE- My first Korg Trident track can be found here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOwusAGgjOI&t=2s
Attached Thumbnails
I just purchased a KORG TRIDENT MK1-thumb.jpg  

Last edited by Quantum7; 2 weeks ago at 12:15 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Epic purchase, a piece of synthesis history that has many stories

I look back to the 90s fondly, don't try to lift it alone

If you are not made aware of its service history get it looked over, especially battery which is a common fail, no dead keys etc.

I look forward to your journey and music especially

Ssm gloooop mmmm lovely
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

look forward to 9 SSM2044 VCF .. probably the highlight is the synths..2 vco polysix, or rather 1 1/2 osc.
would watch the video .. interesting how much better they are than a modern moog.

Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
look forward to 9 SSM2044 VCF .. probably the highlight is the synths..2 vco polysix, or rather 1 1/2 osc.
would watch the video .. interesting how much better they are than a modern moog.
midi is probably just note on off. see that the power supply is recapped, the original is already very hot .. too high esr is rather annoying

I can clearly hear the difference through my bargain basement smartphones speaker. I like the part where the Moog glitches out. Sad they can't even get basic playability right with today's firmware.

@ Quantum7

Nice score! Is that the one from Cherry Hill, NJ?
If so I played it once. I bought my S900 from that gentleman a few years ago. Really, really nice guy too.
Enjoy!!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
I can clearly hear the difference through my bargain basement smartphones speaker. I like the part where the Moog glitches out. Sad they can't even get basic playability right with today's firmware.

@ Quantum7

If so I played it once. I bought my S900 from that gentleman a few years ago. Really, really nice guy too.
Enjoy!!!
this is normal after generation pepsi .. generation update.
that with the bugs .. is a feature, I know it from my subtrashy
i have mono/poly polysix, but i never noticed how moogish the filter really is.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
I'm a bit nervous, as this is this is the first vintage synth I've ever purchased. In fact, it will be the oldest synths I've ever owned, as one of my first synths I bought in 1985 (as a teenager with my paper route money) was a Korg Poly 61... which was 2 years newer than the Trident. Anyway, I am excited to finally get that vintage sound I've been wanting for many years now. The vintage sound of both a Trident and an Oberheim OBx (and Xa) is a sound I have been memorized by since I was a kid. I got the Trident for a very good price and it is a pretty good physical shape (from the photos) and very important to me, it has MIDI installed. I know that the Trident is somewhat limited in its sonic spectrum as opposed to other synths, but since I am blessed to own multiple fantastic synths, I believe that the Trident will fill a place in my sound spectrum that gives me what I've been missing. I should have it in 2 weeks- Wish me luck!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm a bit nervous, as this is this is the first vintage synth I've ever purchased. In fact, it will be the oldest synths I've ever owned, as one of my first synths I bought in 1985 (as a teenager with my paper route money) was a Korg Poly 61... which was 2 years newer than the Trident. Anyway, I am excited to finally get that vintage sound I've been wanting for many years now. The vintage sound of both a Trident and an Oberheim OBx (and Xa) is a sound I have been memorized by since I was a kid. I got the Trident for a very good price and it is a pretty good physical shape (from the photos) and very important to me, it has MIDI installed. I know that the Trident is somewhat limited in its sonic spectrum as opposed to other synths, but since I am blessed to own multiple fantastic synths, I believe that the Trident will fill a place in my sound spectrum that gives me what I've been missing. I should have it in 2 weeks- Wish me luck!
Can't wait for an epic demo
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you have access to an LFO output from one of your other synths plug into the VCF input. Really opens up the modulation options. Trigger input on brass section used on bass lines works really well. Welcome to the club
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Epic purchase, a piece of synthesis history that has many stories

I look back to the 90s fondly, don't try to lift it alone

If you are not made aware of its service history get it looked over, especially battery which is a common fail, no dead keys etc.

I look forward to your journey and music especially
Dang it! I forgot how heavy it will be. With my chronic back pain, I guess I'll have to have a friend get it upstairs for me. At least it's not quite as large as an old Oberheim. The Trident should be fine on my current synth stands. Good idea of having a tech look over it, but the guy said every single thing is working as it should, short from only 1 scratchy knob during movement, but the signal is clean when resting. I actually have that issue with one of my newer synths and am used to it now, so it shouldn't bother me too much. I'll definitely be posting music from it for sure....you know me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post

Enjoy!!!
Thanks! It is from a guy in Perth, Australia actually. Hopefully it's a good sign, as I have an Aunt who was raised in Perth.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Sound View Post
Can't wait for an epic demo
Oh trust me, it will come.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcnulty View Post
If you have access to an LFO output from one of your other synths plug into the VCF input. Really opens up the modulation options. Trigger input on brass section used on bass lines works really well. Welcome to the club
Thanks! I will definitely have to try that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks! It is from a guy in Perth, Australia actually.
very good price and perth, the alarm bells ring for me. let's hope not but the scheme fits.
is like the great synths from portugal .. jp8 3k and so
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Careful buying synths from dingoes.

Hopefully you’re sweet though and congrats on a dream synth.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Careful buying synths from dingoes.

Hopefully you’re sweet though and congrats on a dream synth.
Those darn Dingos....always eating your babies...and synths.

Reverb.com has been a great place to both buy and sell gear for me over the years. Unlike Evil-Bay, I have found they Reverb seems to protect both the buyer and the seller. I buy and sell a lot of gear there and during rare problems, Reverb has always come through. . Between Reverb and PayPal, buying gear from across the world is no longer as risky as it once was. I just bought a 2nd Modal 002 that I found on Reverb from a gentleman in New Zealand....and I got a great price, a lot lower than others were asking for theirs. The transaction went 100% perfect. Sometimes people will take less for an item if they need the money now. I certainly have when I needed money in a hurry.

Last edited by Quantum7; 4 weeks ago at 07:13 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

it doesn't really matter to fraudsters ..unfortunately there are everywhere. bargain on reverb is surreal anyway
here one was sold for 2k last year ( without midi ), what was your price ?

by the way .. have you heard .. In October 2002 eBay acquired PayPal for $ 1.5 billion. so the effective protection is still ebay .. reverb can't do anything .. except charge ..and their own payment system .. no idea .. the problem is always the distance to the "seller"

i personally prefer local pickup..an advantage in a small country
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Conratulations! You will be very happy guy soon
Old 4 weeks ago
congratulation . trident is one gorgeous sounding synthesizer.

while not extra flexible, imo its strenght is in magnificent tone, silky syrupy ssm filter and layering. what's nice is each layer can have its own animation so it does not melt into a mess, but there is still lively separation btwn layers apparent. that's why it sounds so big. string section has wonderful bbd ensemble, probably one of my favorite stringer sounds on its own, polysynth with its filter, pitch and dedicated pwm lfo modulation, and one of the best sounding flangers ever, is freely routable btwn string, brass or poly section.

looking forward to your tracks with it
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dang it! I forgot how heavy it will be. With my chronic back pain, I guess I'll have to have a friend get it upstairs for me. At least it's not quite as large as an old Oberheim.
Congrats. My fav synth. The original 'Majestic' sounding synthesizer. So powerful, warm and organic.

When I win the lottery this week, both will be returning home. Damn I miss em.

Btw, its not much smaller than an OB. I well up when I see this old pic.

Btw, don't forget to post pics in the owners thread. Korg Trident MK1/II Roll Call
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sean, congrats And also, hey Trident afficionados!

Can anyone tell me how close Björn got to the Trident sound based on schematics and audio demos on Internet alone?

https://www.fullbucket.de/music/tricent.html

Free plugin as always from FBM.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Sean, congrats And also, hey Trident afficionados!

Can anyone tell me how close Björn got to the Trident sound based on schematics and audio demos on Internet alone?

https://www.fullbucket.de/music/tricent.html

Free plugin as always from FBM.
Have to admit it sounds pretty damn good. Never going to replace the true analogue character or living organic feel of the real thing, but it certainly evokes happy memories listening to it
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I mean if you have a bit of time to tweak its knobs and so on, rather than just listen the demos, I would really appreciate it since you actually owned one You know, filter behavior, resonance, sweeps, etc. Although, for the asking price of $0, it doesn't really have to nail the original 100%, but if it's close enough... The guy also has schematic-based emulations of PS-3100, PS-3200, PS-3300, Sigma and Delta, so hey, it's a party and everyone is invited!

Or actually Sean might perhaps be willing to do a 1:1 comparison once his Trident hits home?

Much obliged.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I mean if you have a bit of time to tweak its knobs and so on, rather than just listen the demos, I would really appreciate it since you actually owned one You know, filter behavior, resonance, sweeps, etc. Although, for the asking price of $0, it doesn't really have to nail the original 100%, but if it's close enough... The guy also has schematic-based emulations of PS-3100, PS-3200, PS-3300, Sigma and Delta, so hey, it's a party and everyone is invited!

Or actually Sean might perhaps be willing to do a 1:1 comparison once his Trident hits home?

Much obliged.
I am just setting up my new DAW after switching from PC to MAC (waiting on some new hardware to arrive) . Will certainly be installing it soon. Will let you know.

~EDIT. Will be interesting to see if it is a fully faithful rendition or has added some features. ie, that recent demo by GS member Sigman trying to do a CS80 Blade sound (which incidentally sounded great) was crippled by the paraphonic Brass sections lack of Envelope control. It would be very favourable if the VST version did away with these limitations.

Looking forward to playing around with it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Congrats. My fav synth. The original 'Majestic' sounding synthesizer. So powerful, warm and organic.

When I win the lottery this week, both will be returning home. Damn I miss em.

Btw, its not much smaller than an OB. I well up when I see this old pic.

Btw, don't forget to post pics in the owners thread. Korg Trident MK1/II Roll Call
What a beautiful photo! I am sending you positive vibes for you to win that lottery and get your babies back. . Although my back is aching just at the thought of how you were able to reach the Oberheim.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludar View Post
Conratulations! You will be very happy guy soon
Thanks!

Quote:
Sean, congrats .
Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
~EDIT. Will be interesting to see if it is a fully faithful rendition or has added some features. ie, that recent demo by GS member Sigman trying to do a CS80 Blade sound (which incidentally sounded great) was crippled by the paraphonic Brass sections lack of Envelope control. It would be very favourable if the VST version did away with these limitations.

Looking forward to playing around with it.
It has a 64 voice polyphony mode, you can pan each section in stereo, it has additional outputs for each individual section so you can post-process them however you want, detuning between brass and strings, velocity sensitivity, ensemble and flanger effects can optionally be stereo, and of course everything is MIDI learnable
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
congratulation . trident is one gorgeous sounding synthesizer.

while not extra flexible, imo its strenght is in magnificent tone, silky syrupy ssm filter and layering. what's nice is each layer can have its own animation so it does not melt into a mess, but there is still lively separation btwn layers apparent. that's why it sounds so big. string section has wonderful bbd ensemble, probably one of my favorite stringer sounds on its own, polysynth with its filter, pitch and dedicated pwm lfo modulation, and one of the best sounding flangers ever, is freely routable btwn string, brass or poly section.

looking forward to your tracks with it
Thanks! I already have a few songs in mind that are going to incorporate The Trident. I guess the good thing about it not being quite as flexible as some other synths of the era is that it keeps the prices reasonably low in comparison to others. IMO it’s one of those hidden gems that luckily not everyone knows about.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

nice looking synth
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I've only been playing key's a few month's.

Played bass and guitar since a teen though.
Owned my MK1 Trident since Christmas.

Man, love it to bit's - Have a few other old synth's too but this is my fav.
Been a massive G Numan fan ever since I saw him in 1979.

Please excuse the amateurish playing

String and synth section with string ensemble.
https://soundcloud.com/user-29895167/new-recording-87

I also picked up a MS-04 pedal, great addition.
Look forward to hearing your thought's when you receive yours !
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’m curious about the MK2/version of the Trident. When I listen to demos on YouTube with the MK2, can I expect the MK1 to pretty much sound the same? Except for the extra patch memory and a few other small enhancements, it seems like the sound engine is pretty much the same.

Also, I know that the Trident is not quite a Solaris for strings, but I really think that I will finally have the vintage string synth sounds now that I’ve been craving for a long time.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search