The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The great: "what type of clone do you want?" poll
View Poll Results: Which type of clone are you after?
1:1 Clone - like the OG that I can't obtain/maintain/gig with!
9 Votes - 25.71%
Keep the OG look and feel but make it more practical for today
13 Votes - 37.14%
Only the OG sound matters, give me modern controls, useful add-ons, new look and feel
17 Votes - 48.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
The great: "what type of clone do you want?" poll

A few clone threads lately have had discussions about what makes a good one, and it seems to come down to 3 quite different options that people want, thought it might be interesting to poll which is most desirable amongst GSers more widely - which type of clones are you after?

1: 1:1 (almost) everything the same - some discrete updates such as MIDI/USB, might be SMT, but original size, look and feel, e.g. Minimoog reissue, Korg MS-20 FS. Should feel just like owning a brand new OG.

2: Same flavour, more modern changes - e.g. typically smaller, often (not always) modules rather than keys, typical mods built-in, UI layout and look very close to OG, same controls mainly - e.g. Behringer Pro 1, Roland TR-08 (leaving ACB vs analogue out of it), Korg MS-20M - experience close to using OG.

3: Same OG sound, different everything else - add performance controls, change layout/controller types, adding effects, arpeggiators/sequencers, may have very different look and feel to OG e.g. TT-78, SE-02?, Poly D perhaps (in functionality).

It is a given that in all 3 cases the aim is to make OG sounds possible with the clone, in some cases to go well beyond them also.

Last edited by rpmedia; 4 weeks ago at 02:43 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

One with a lifespan of more than four years would be a good start.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay Smearing View Post
One with a lifespan of more than four years would be a good start.
Based on a particular experience?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmedia View Post
Based on a particular experience?
Wizard Sound car speakers. They looked just like Pioneer 6x9" 3-ways, which were quite fancy things in the early 80s, but were half the price.

"They're Pioneers for half the price!", the people flocking to the store in droves to buy them mewled as they Sh1t themselves with happiness.

They weren't.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3rd option.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
3rd option.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Almost always in the minority on GS. Proud of it too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
First option. Occasionally second option.

Third option cannot be called a clone in any meaningful sense of the word; then you may just use a sample library of the OG.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

4th option--stop cloning and make something new...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I vote "4". Instruments that are only inspired by the original sounds. DeepMind. Prophet-6. Deckard's Dream. Wavestate. Just don't put it in a stupid form factor (mini-keys or 49 keys - 49 keys is only acceptable if polyphony is four or less).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I voted for number two.

I have the ms-20m and boog, which to me are updated / tweaked versions of the originals that better suit my preferences

For the third option, I prefer to get the best bits in their eurorack format, if available. For example, I have a wasp filter that I think is great. No interest in the wasp clone behringer has out, but the doepfer version of the filter is really interesting to me
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
4th option--stop cloning and make something new...
^^ this. All day every day.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
^^ this. All day every day.
Sure most of us want new things and not just clones - e.g. the Osmose looks like a really exciting new thing happening - this poll is about clones though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay Smearing View Post
Wizard Sound car speakers. They looked just like Pioneer 6x9" 3-ways, which were quite fancy things in the early 80s, but were half the price.

"They're Pioneers for half the price!", the people flocking to the store in droves to buy them mewled as they Sh1t themselves with happiness.

They weren't.

Aaaah the good ol 6 by 9

Donned many a car wit those back in't day
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationBlvd View Post
I vote "4". Instruments that are only inspired by the original sounds. DeepMind. Prophet-6. Deckard's Dream. Wavestate. Just don't put it in a stupid form factor (mini-keys or 49 keys - 49 keys is only acceptable if polyphony is four or less).
Amen on mini keys! I thought Dekards Dream was more of an attempted clone in the 2 or 3 category above? I think category 3 above could include your 4 unless it can’t make sounds close to the OG.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

#3 .
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

#2 can fit too
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

#1 has a place too

Let's not leave #1 out
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Amen on mini keys! I thought Dekards Dream was more of an attempted clone in the 2 or 3 category above? I think category 3 above could include your 4 unless it can’t make sounds close to the OG.
Deckard's deviates from the CS-80 greatly by using CEM3340 instead of discrete oscillators. It is to the CS-80 what the OB-Xa is to the OB-X.

Thinking about it, my other "4" examples are really "3". I want to see Korg give the "3" treatment to Polysix.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

All of the above and more. The Reissue is the platonic ideal. Pauly D and the Pro-1 are both great. The VC-340 is great but would be greater with one more octave.

The Wavestate should be more substantial, with more keys, or be a module, but I'm so glad they updated the sound and functionality, that I'll get one anyway.

Arp 2600, MS-20 FS, Moog Systems - those actually can be called clones, or reissues or even modern replicas. Especially the Moogs. They're not for me (i already got one high-end replica, and my space isn't nice enough, frankly), but I'm glad they seem to have done them right.

Between the RD-8 & TR-08 & TR-8... taking form, sound, features and price into account, I ended up with the RD-8. The TR-8s is much more versatile, so that's hard to compare. What do I vote for if I think the RD-8 and TR-8s are both great modern versions?

The TD-3 feels appropriately cheap, for the price and what it's copying.

The Jupiter X is like the opposite of the Wavestate for me. I love the way it looks, but the sounds and concept, meh.

I think the Reface CP is a fun little on-the-go keyboard. I love it.

As long as they have a good vision and do implement it well, I'm not a stickler for any particular convention. I even like instruments that aren't based on old things!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Sure most of us want new things and not just clones - e.g. the Osmose looks like a really exciting new thing happening - this poll is about clones though.
Oh thanks I hadn't noticed. Maybe you should let the person I quoted know too while you're policing opinions.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
Oh thanks I hadn't noticed. Maybe you should let the person I quoted know too while you're policing opinions.
Policing?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

OK, I would go for No.1. (No#2 sounds reasonable but..)

StudioElectronics has returned with MIDIMOOG.

To my view point, they simply stopped suspension of the last three decades and resumed production. So it doesn't seem 'cloning of an original'.

The proof of not cloning is that they didn't plug USB into the product.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Almost always in the minority on GS. Proud of it too.
Not in the minority now!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Option 2 for me. Look and feel of the original, with (useful/required) upgrades.

For example, if the original doesn’t have MIDI, by all means add it. That kind of thing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimket View Post
Look and feel of the original
What if the original looks horrible, feels nothing special and just sounds great ?
Oberheim OB-Xa...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
What if the original looks horrible, feels nothing special and just sounds great ?
Oberheim OB-Xa...
Surely some mistake.... Love the pinstripe Obie look. Also love the levers. What’s a great looking synth for you?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Surely some mistake.... Love the pinstripe Obie look.
The stripes are one of the most ofen used examples of bad user interface design (research some of the WWW design nightmares of the 90s), not just in hardware.
100% of the people i asked, find this picture uncomfortable to look at:
https://images1.pixlis.com/backgroun...lue-22h3dx.png
I remember reading some scientific explanation for that a long time ago.

Quote:
What’s a great looking synth for you?
This one:
https://www.rlmusic.co.uk/rlm3/wp-co...bxaC_hr_04.jpg

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search