The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Halftime arpeggiator in Bass Statin 2?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Halftime arpeggiator in Bass Statin 2?

Hi,
I have bought a Novation Bass Station 2, and I need to sync to the midi tempo of the (live) band, i'm playing with.
I am unable to get the arpeggiator in the Bass Station 2 to play 16th notes. I cannot make it arpeggiate any faster than 8th notes.
Any ideas as to what I could do - doubling the midi tempo is not an option.
Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The rhythm knob has patterns in different rates including straight 8ths and 16ths.

I'd have to play with it to see which rhythm values correspond to straight arps but generally the higher up the knob, the faster they get.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
The rhythm knob has patterns in different rates including straight 8ths and 16ths.

I'd have to play with it to see which rhythm values correspond to straight arps but generally the higher up the knob, the faster they get.
Hi kpatz,

I have tried turning the Rythm knob, and even when turning it to max (32), I only get 8th.
If I disable midi tempo and manually adjust the Tempo knob to double the tempo, I get the right pattern

I found this chart (https://www.elektronauts.com/uploads...768606efcb.jpg), which indicates that the seting 32 on the Rythm knob should be straight 16th, but that's not what I get...

I have used the same setup with my older Novation Super Bass Station (rack), and it gave me 16th, but with the Bass Station 2, I seem to be having issues.

Do I need to change the arpegiator input to one of the LFO's and use this as arpegiator clock?
Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What firmware version do you have on your BS2? I know there were some updates to midi sync a few years ago (before all the new features were added).

Next time I'm playing with mine I'll midi sync it and see what I get.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

32 is straight 16's. maybe you have sequencer enabled. you need to retrigger arp mode in some patches where it's been saved with sequencer enabled
Using newest firmware
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmara View Post
32 is straight 16's. maybe you have sequencer enabled. you need to retrigger arp mode in some patches where it's been saved with sequencer enabled
Using newest firmware
Hi Nightmara,

Yes, I agree that the setting 32 should be straight 16's.
I have verified that I am running latest FW on my Bass Station (version V4.1419, Build 675).

Could this be some sort of mismatch between my Midi source (Protools/DigiRack002) and my Bass Station?

For analysis, I attached an Axoloti Core to my midi source and first I did a simple 24ppq to bpm conversion of the midi clock coming from the source.
Analysis result matches the source bpm.

Secondly (still on the Axoloti Core) I did a downsampling of the 24ppq clock, first by a factor of 24, and subsequently by a factor of 128. This gives me a pulse for every quarter note. Deriving the bpm from these pulses also gives me a result matching the bpm of my source.
However, when I use exactly this midi clock with my Bass Station 2, it seems that my Bass Station interprets this as a clock in halftime?

Am I making wrong assumptions somewhere?
Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

SOLUTION:
Hi again,
I found out that apprently, using USB power versus using the PSU makes the difference.
When I use my BS2, powered through the PSU and not just from the USB, the arpeggiator appears to work as I expect.
Thanks for all your comments and input.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search