Here is my current stable:
Virus TI
DM12
Stylophone Gen R8
JV1010
Proteus 1
RD-8
MPC1000

Love every one. Learning gobs. None for sale now.

I'm thinking maybe I need one more little piece in there.......
subsequent 37? Too much $$$$ for me at the moment.

The Stylophone is very rich and dirty. Gets super deep too, so a certain aspect of my bass is well covered there.

In my purview:
microbrute
Minibrute 2s
Monologue
Model D
Neutron
Pro-1
Pulse2

I could spring for any single one of the above, but not two.

or should I just keep learning, give a Virus TI channel to this goal, and save for the behringer Arp2600?

Something else?

Other synths that do tempt me:
Blofeld....but really isn't the Virus covering those bases?
Streichfett? I like strings too, quite a bit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Erebus...I have the boog and pro one, both excellent, but deep? Id say the erebus!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm a huge fan of the monologue for bass. Because it's low and fat but usable. Not the kind of fart that you have to eq a lot to make it sit in a mix. Live it sounds great. I once hit a room mode in an off space that shook the windows and the drinks started moving around bar
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
or should I just keep learning, give a Virus TI channel to this goal, and save for the behringer Arp2600?
That would be the most sane option.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Blofeld....but really isn't the Virus covering those bases?
I had a Blofeld paired up with the TI for a while. Blofeld complements the Virus pretty well because it has synthesis capabilities that the Virus doesn't (primarily, deeper oscillator FM and oscillator to filter FM). Plus the wavetables sound more full on the Blofeld to my ears. They matched up pretty well, so if that's a serious consideration, I'd totally put the Blofeld in the running.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Have you tried layering the Virus? One layer being the focal point, the other being supporting breadth. Sometimes you can manage that with one layer, having parallel filters cover each aspect. If I recall correctly the TI has EQ and such onboard, so try that too. At any rate it won't cost you anything to try and see if you can get the Virus to do what you want first.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Allow me to second on adding a Blofeld. It’s a different flavor of sound you definitely wouldn’t have overlap, it compliments the iterations of Virus.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Erebus...I have the boog and pro one, both excellent, but deep? Id say the erebus!
Thank you!!! Was not on my radar, I will be studying this tonite

@ Sebastian N TY, sir It seems a bit more slick and versitile than microbrute, but I only know reviews. In the running.

@ Mutantt and Rezisehtnys. Thank you both for intervention. I've always operated at the edge....go big or go home. It's just ADD and male impulsivity. The only reason I lived to 62 is I know how to apologise sincerely, LOL. Your point is like a safety net really. I relax a little just reading it. I certainly don't want to buy something I don't use. I have 200 Camera lenses in the closet. Jeez I need to sell trade most.....but the excess pushed my photography, and motorbike repair skills

Spanish Horse by unoh7, on Flickr

That quest is done, this is my new and probably last mission. I did buy my Proteus and SL-880 new, but until I inhertied a tonewheel organ last year I was just an on again off again dabler in the American songbook on my acoustic piano. The live sound of which still kills everything else I have. Especially since I learned to tune it LOL

@ namnibor and Derp
Thank you guys, I need to study the Blofeld. Many say what you guys are saying, yet others say the updated TI has all the waves You give me some clues to understand points. I guess the Blofeld loves to use the TI effects. There is so much user support on YT also, no small issue. That's why I started seriously learning synthesis with the DM12. Jeez I love that thing.....but it's one part. Virus seems to like playing with it now too. One pastime is too put proteus JV1010 virus and DM12 on the same channel, blending on mixer. I am really taken aback sometimes by that fat. The right patch choices avoid mud.

Best to everyone

Crime Scene by unoh7, on Flickr
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you!!! Was not on my radar, I will be studying this tonite

@ Sebastian N TY, sir It seems a bit more slick and versitile than microbrute, but I only know reviews. In the running.

@ Mutantt and Rezisehtnys. Thank you both for intervention. I've always operated at the edge....go big or go home. It's just ADD and male impulsivity. The only reason I lived to 62 is I know how to apologise sincerely, LOL. Your point is like a safety net really. I relax a little just reading it. I certainly don't want to buy something I don't use. I have 200 Camera lenses in the closet. Jeez I need to sell trade most.....but the excess pushed my photography, and motorbike repair skills

Spanish Horse by unoh7, on Flickr

That quest is done, this is my new and probably last mission. I did buy my Proteus and SL-880 new, but until I inhertied a tonewheel organ last year I was just an on again off again dabler in the American songbook on my acoustic piano. The live sound of which still kills everything else I have. Especially since I learned to tune it LOL

@ namnibor and Derp
Thank you guys, I need to study the Blofeld. Many say what you guys are saying, yet others say the updated TI has all the waves You give me some clues to understand points. I guess the Blofeld loves to use the TI effects. There is so much user support on YT also, no small issue. That's why I started seriously learning synthesis with the DM12. Jeez I love that thing.....but it's one part. Virus seems to like playing with it now too. One pastime is too put proteus JV1010 virus and DM12 on the same channel, blending on mixer. I am really taken aback sometimes by that fat. The right patch choices avoid mud.

Best to everyone

Crime Scene by unoh7, on Flickr
Haha, no problem! Might also check out the SE-02 as it's 3 VCO with patch memory, if you decide you need something else for bass. That was my plan anyway if the Virus TI didn't do it for me 100%.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezisehtnys View Post
Haha, no problem! Might also check out the SE-02 as it's 3 VCO with patch memory, if you decide you need something else for bass. That was my plan anyway if the Virus TI didn't do it for me 100%.
That's a good strategy. I know everyone's got different opinions on it, but in my own opinion, the Virus doesn't carry any weight to it when doing bass, so an SE-02 would really beef up the low end, or at least make for a great layer over the Virus.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Behringer Poly D is a very good option instead of Model D.

Starsky Carr did a direct comparison of both of them with a real Minimoog - and both are 95% on point. Except with Poly D you get a keyboard, another oscillator and a bunch of an OK analog effects plus paraphonic play, not to mention controls are bigger. It takes an effort just dialing a sound you want on a Model D.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
....I know everyone's got different opinions on it, but in my own opinion, the Virus doesn't carry any weight to it when doing bass....
Now that is what I need to cure the GAS, LOL

Your precious Virus (I bought it a month a go) can't do it !

"Oh Yeah?????"

Neighborhood Explodes.

I watched Nick's look at Erebus v3, and was very imppressed. It does seem unique. I will look at the 02...is that Sequential Circuts?

Which brings us to the Pro-1, which is the remake of the unreliable 01, no? Not as much legend because so many broke, but demos are impressive.

On the Model D, I was thinking Behringer, and the Poly is a good suggestion--might be a tad expensive for me. How would you guys describe diff between Pro-1 and plain Model D?

Filters........?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now that is what I need to cure the GAS, LOL

Your precious Virus (I bought it a month a go) can't do it !

"Oh Yeah?????"

Neighborhood Explodes.

I watched Nick's look at Erebus v3, and was very imppressed. It does seem unique. I will look at the 02...is that Sequential Circuts?

Which brings us to the Pro-1, which is the remake of the unreliable 01, no? Not as much legend because so many broke, but demos are impressive.

On the Model D, I was thinking Behringer, and the Poly is a good suggestion--might be a tad expensive for me. How would you guys describe diff between Pro-1 and plain Model D?

Filters........?
The SE-02 is a collaborative effort from Studio Electronics and Roland, it's sold as a Roland. It's heavily inspired by the MiniMoog, but has features like sync, Xmod, and PWM. 128 user patches is nice too.

There are plenty of YouTube videos on the originals and the clones, so I'd check out videos on both to see if the sound of one or the other catches your fancy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezisehtnys View Post
That would be my suggestion too. Studio Electronics knows what’s what, and the oscillators on my ATC are obese.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

McDonald's, and just say, "Supersize Me!" Easy Peasy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You are missing fatness in your existing setup. It’s exactly what you will get from the Monologue, minibrute or a Sub (Moog).
Old 4 weeks ago
TNC
Lives for gear

My bass is so fat there isn't enough EQ in the world to make it fit in a mix.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Hep ma!

Than what?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Boutique...seriously....you want me to go boutique? Ok I better listen to it at least, but I'm gagging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
McDonald's, and just say, "Supersize Me!" Easy Peasy.

And to anyone who dare dis my virus:

These young women are seriously Fat

I jus wanna b fat like that.....

don't steal those lyrics :(

OK--I have to say my ears prefer the Behringer Model D to the other options in the thread right now. I could be convinced otherwise, LOL.

I am seeing them used around 200US, which is fantastic.....then I watched loopop on the PolyD, which has list at 700....figure 650. It actually seems like a better deal, considering all you get. I wonder if the tuning is better now.

But maybe I'm missing something.....

I have ruled out neutron either....or anything really, as I often misconceive.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Boutique...seriously....you want me to go boutique? Ok I better listen to it at least, but I'm gagging.

Awesome! And yeah you got the idea now.

Boutiques as cool as that little one, for sure.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureman84 View Post
Hep ma!

Than what?

Back to the womb, I guess...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

OK--I have to say my ears prefer the Behringer Model D to the other options in the thread right now. I could be convinced otherwise, LOL.

I am seeing them used around 200US, which is fantastic.....then I watched loopop on the PolyD, which has list at 700....figure 650. It actually seems like a better deal, considering all you get. I wonder if the tuning is better now.

But maybe I'm missing something.....

I have ruled out neutron either....or anything really, as I often misconceive.
The Poly D is $700 at any U.S. retailer, and they're on backorder. After playing with a Model D in person and watching SE-02 videos I'd go with the SE-02, but I like the extra features and don't care about stepping on the cutoff knob since I'm the "set it and forget it" kind of gal. The Model D was nice though, and if you want a 1:1 Mini clone it'd be the way to go.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search