The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nord Modular Questions
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

After filling my Nord Mod G1 with patches and assigning common controls on the front panel (Filters, EG's, Amps, Modulators) in exactly the same positions and labeling the front panel with a label maker, I now use it as a completely standalone synth with the computer switched off. That's what the nord modular is really all about.

A modular sound design approach with computer augmentation and streamlined standalone synth all in one unit. It was really waaaaaaaay ahead of its time.

Imagine buying a Moog D (because hands on playing/tweaking) and being able to totally reconfigure the internal routing and throw in 10 extra oscillators and 5 LFO's and make it polyphonic. That's what Nord Modular lets you do. It's very open and that's why noobies don't get what it does.
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
I'm probably going to pick up the Micro Modular or G1 with Keys. I've been fetishizing this synth ever since I heard Mouse on Mars hype it. Been wanting it for a long time and now I actually have some money.
There’s some perks to having the rack version but I sometimes wished that I got a keyboard version. I might get one anyways. One thing they dropped the ball on was a mod wheel on the keyboard version. But I have lusted about doing the mod of adding a joystick. I’d probably do it in such a way that you could easily reverse the mod aka have it be able to plug/unplug it.

Quote:
It's just that to me I do think the G1/MicroModular hardware provides additional sound quality and soul
It has a vintage synth vibe. It may not be analog but it has a cool vibe and it’s very powerful.
Old 27th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
even the ones that can program wouldn't have come up with a lot of the stuff that the "NM wizards" did. genius next level patching.
Off the top of my head Jan Punter and Roland Kuit (I think I had a few from Dave Peck in there too) were doing some otherworldly stuff with it. Even after taking apart some of their patches, how they even came up with that stuff is just leagues beyond me heh. Had one for about 16 years or so (just sold it last October) and never did figure out how to use all those math and logic modules they used to make patches talk and come alive. Jan used to do these 4 packs of "noodles" that were meant to be played all at once in the keyboard/rack, but since I had the Micro I could only load one at a time, track it, then load up another, repeat and then I finally got to hear what it was supposed to sound like..
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

I hardly touch the modular's front panel , I just create gui templates in loomer architect ( assumming you assigned cc's in the modular's editor ) it has the advantage of instant recall and patch saving without having to re-save the modified patch in the nord modular ( which sadly doesn't have patch variatons like the nord g2 )
Here's a juno gui patch

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search