The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland JU-06A or DeepMind-6
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Roland JU-06A or DeepMind-6

Which and why? Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Not even a comparison. Get a Deepmind 6.

JU-06a is digital, with microscopic controls and, most importantly, only 4 voices.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentokan View Post
Which and why? Thanks!
depends on what you're looking for - however on the feature side of things (modulation options / fx) the deepmind surely wins
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you're going to go DeepMind, skip the 6 and go for 12. The Desktop is a pretty good form factor if space is a premium.
Old 4 weeks ago
The JU-06A sounds excellent...forget its digital, if anything it sounds "better" than the deepmind, more 106...and of course it has two engines

but only if you plan on 80's basses, leads and/or the simplest of chords, have decent dexterity and dont care about keys, full size outputs, modulation, a fantastic suite of fx, or an actual analogue engine...otherwise get the Deepmind
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
I’d say the Roland will last longer than the deep mind. DigitL or not that’s mute in this day and age. It’s damn close. But only 4 voices. Have you considered a minilogue?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Forget the Deepmind 6 and get it's bigger brother, the Deepmind 12.
12 voices, massive modulation matrix, the controls aren't microscopic, the keyboard is fantastic, but is also available as a desktop module (12D) if you're short on space. I've also recreated all my old Juno 106 patches on it, either by tweaking the built-in "Dimension D" chorus effect, using a two oscillator stack trick with the mod matrix, or using the Tal-Chorus-60 VST plugin on the mixer strip. All work in getting that signature 106 sound.

The JU-06A, in my opinion, is just an overpriced hype machine. It doesn't even have the full six voices of the unit it purports to mimic. If you really want something that tiny, get one of the Volcas from Korg.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thank you all!
Yes, I am inclining towards Deepmind 12d as I feel it as a more complete synth.
Actually I own a Rev2 8voice, but somehow it doesn t manage to get in any production I make… It s got a sheen to the sound that doesn t inspire me…
Maybe some of u will think I am mad to get rid of Rev2 for Deepmind, but it seems more inspiring. It almost never get in the end in my productions. Nord Lead gets there more often, even though digital.
Of course I don t have experience with Deepmind… I may be wrong…
Old 4 weeks ago
The DM12D is a great synth. Only slightly more expensive than the DM6 but twice the voices (really useful when you want 2X Unison), and a really nice form factor. It can do a lot more than just emulate a Juno, check the Youtube demos of the "Pulse XL" and "Classic Analog" soundsets, they show the variation of sounds you can get from it.

I don't have the JU-06A, but I do have an SE-02 so I'm familiar with the form factor. The small sliders would make it very difficult when trying to find the sweet spot, because moving them just a millimeter could change the sound drastically. Tiny knobs work slightly better because you still get the full range of rotation. Wish the Boutiques were twice the size and at least 6 voices...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you all!
Yes, I am inclining towards Deepmind 12d as I feel it as a more complete synth.
Actually I own a Rev2 8voice, but somehow it doesn t manage to get in any production I make… It s got a sheen to the sound that doesn t inspire me…
Maybe some of u will think I am mad to get rid of Rev2 for Deepmind, but it seems more inspiring. It almost never get in the end in my productions. Nord Lead gets there more often, even though digital.
Of course I don t have experience with Deepmind… I may be wrong…
wise decision. just the fx .. 24 dco unison .. mod matrix .. no dwarf size.. if I didn't already have a juno 60 and mks 7, I would choose exactly that.

here is a help for authentic juno sounds

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

It depends, if you like complicated screen-driven synthesis, get the DM.
I'm more in direct, immediate action and fine sounds. Get the JU-06A.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thank you all! I guess Deepmind 12d it is
U think is possible to be more inspirational or even sound better then the Rev2?
(I remember in some post, Geosynth said that Rev2 wasn t that flexible and felt like work, but Dm12, felt better..)
Thanks again!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sextuor View Post
screen driven?

gud won
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Thank you all! I guess Deepmind 12d it is
U think is possible to be more inspirational or even sound better then the Rev2?
(I remember in some post, Geosynth said that Rev2 wasn t that flexible and felt like work, but Dm12, felt better..)
Thanks again!
Ive only had the prophet 08 alongside the DM12...very similar though

Its a great synth but you have to want that sound, it lacked the modulation of the DM but I think the rev2 has addressed that. If I had to choose Id likely go with the rev 2 tbh, I only sold the P08 because it was a desktop synth and I prefer keys. Its a great sounding synth, so is the DM but, I dont know, I got some great brassy tones out of the P08 I dont get out of the DM...which is a little more bread and butter..

Geo synths patches really open it up...I use it mostly as a preset machine with his patches
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Screen driven? It's all front-panel controls. The screen is for the more complex modulation matrix and effects section.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Deepmind has all direct controls of a Juno106 and more.

JU-06 has microscopic controls.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post
Screen driven? It's all front-panel controls. The screen is for the more complex modulation matrix and effects section.
True, it's possible to create full sounds without ever touching the menus but to get the most of it you really need to get into the menus. That's just the nature of complex sound design. If there were a slider for every single parameter the synth would be enormous.
There are some weird prioritization going on though. A button under each LFO to toggle the waveform wouldn't have cost much extra, for example (though you can hold Edit and move the Rate slider).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraze View Post
Not even a comparison. Get a Deepmind 6.

JU-06a is digital, with microscopic controls and, most importantly, only 4 voices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behrmoog View Post
Deepmind has all direct controls of a Juno106 and more.

JU-06 has microscopic controls.
For one thing Roland is the originator of 6/60/106. So if one is seeking the sound of the 60/106 I'd tend to stick with Roland (and plse let us not rewash the old analog vs digital thing).

Second thing, yes the JU06A has 4 voices just like the analog 4, the Tetra, etc. I don't hear so much complaints about that, except for those doing deep space pads with like 13-note chords.

Third thing, true some Juno sound might be available on the Deepmind12, but after much tweaking and much wasting the DM12 other capabilities. So I contend that the Deepmind12 is not the right machine for Juno sounds.

Fourth thing, the controls on the JU06A, just like for much of the other Boutiques require reasonably agile, sensitive, non-obese fingers, and for example, if I had a quarry worker or a commercial shipbuilder friend, I would warn him before getting a Boutique. The "microscopic" term, I'd reserve to those things one watches through a microscope...

So it depends: for the Juno sound and groove, and basically just that, I'd go with the JU06A. For a capable multi-purpose synth I'd consider the DM12 desktop which indeed is a nice machine.

The JU06 was highly sought after after it was discontinued, and used ones fetched high prices, all that for definite reasons. Now with the 06A one gets another chance for a more capable synth. And it would be sad to pooh pooh the 06A like it was done done the 06.

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
So I contend that the Deepmind12 is not the right machine for Juno sounds.
It's absolutely the machine for Juno sounds. It started life as a Juno clone, and the only thing you need to do is a tiny bit of tweaking to get the chorus effect right, or just slap a TAL Chorus 60 plug-in onto your mixer track and call it a day.

Your excuse of only four voice being totally okay unless you need massive space pads is just silly. Four notes gets you a single Major 7th with nothing for the left hand.

The Juno is a poly synth. It's voiced as a poly synth. Four voices is merely Roland wanting you to buy two of them to chain them together. I used to have a Mopho X4, and it was NOT voiced like a poly synth but as a bass/lead synth. That's why you don't hear complaints of the Mopho X4 / Tetra limitations, because it's not intended to be, and it is not voiced as, a poly synth.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
For one thing Roland is the originator of 6/60/106. So if one is seeking the sound of the 60/106 I'd tend to stick with Roland (and plse let us not rewash the old analog vs digital thing).
The original Junos were released around 1982 - 84. How many of the original designers still work at Roland ~38 years later, and had anything to do with the JU-06A? How much does Roland in 2020 have in common with Roland of 1982? How much of the original Juno tech is in the JU-06A?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Roland has put out the Juno name on all these workstations, then they do the JU-06 and now the JU-06A. I would wait until the JU-06Z when they perfect their fake version of analog
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Ju-06a or Se02 ?

Hi, fresh to Synths here .....seeing as you guys know your Synths. Please can you help advise which of the 2 machines would be more adept at playing the Synth in this Solomun remix ( at around 3:20 to 4:20 ) ......or would it need a more complex hardware Synth to achieve ??
Attached Thumbnails
Roland JU-06A or DeepMind-6-9d148395-ce57-4147-9a8a-2d4f3dffbb83.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulMango View Post
Hi, fresh to Synths here .....seeing as you guys know your Synths. Please can you help advise which of the 2 machines would be more adept at playing the Synth in this Solomun remix ( at around 3:20 to 4:20 ) ......or would it need a more complex hardware Synth to achieve ??
Start a new thread, mate, don't necro old ones.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search