The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
VIDEO: Every Sound from Crockett’s Theme
Old 22nd February 2020
Gear Head

VIDEO: Every Sound from Crockett’s Theme

I’m very happy to finally post this video. Please post your comments or questions on YouTube:

Old 22nd February 2020
Lives for gear
Nice effort. I was inspired just from watching it.
Old 22nd February 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks for reminding me why I recently decided to stop chasing sounds of the past, but at least you sounded great doing it.
Old 22nd February 2020
Lives for gear

guitar players get The Beatles, Clapton, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, etc... synth players get 'Crockett's Theme' and 'Axel F'.

cool video.
Old 22nd February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
guitar players get The Beatles, Clapton, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, etc... synth players get 'Crockett's Theme' and 'Axel F'.

cool video.
Jump, Subdivisions, Tom Sawyer, Final Countdown...
Old 22nd February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
yeah, i know.

Old 22nd February 2020
bax
Gear Maniac

Vinyl - Check!
Lotsa great synths, analog + digital + softsynths - Check!
Appropriate usage of a Keytar - BONUS Check!

Classic 80's synth sounds at their finest. You're doing it right, sir...awesome! Thanks for sharing this!

Thanks!
bax
Old 22nd February 2020
Lives for gear

Excellent. Really enjoyed that

Never realised the Memorymoog was involved in the pad sound. Always thought it was all JP8 + Fairlight.
Old 22nd February 2020
bax
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
Can we at least throw in "Separate Ways" there too?
Old 22nd February 2020
great stuff...particularly impressed with the last guitar work! I thought it was a real guitarist needed for that...
Old 22nd February 2020
Here for the gear

Excellent video!
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head

Holy crap, guys. I’m just now checking in on this post, and I’m very grateful for all your kind replies. I was braced for a bit of a s&!tstorm with all the speculation regarding this classic record.

It really is my favorite synth track ever. I’ve collected pieces of info about it from Jan Hammer over the years, and even gotten some tips from the man himself (through his management).

Thanks to every one of you for watching it, and at the very least: I hope you had a smile and some entertainment.

ps - I even got YouTube comments from two of my YouTube heroes! Alex Ball and Synthmania (Paolo)
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Wow, well done! I really enjoyed this. And love the firelight on the CRT monitor, that ups the retro game up considerably!
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdpath View Post
Wow, well done! I really enjoyed this. And love the firelight on the CRT monitor, that ups the retro game up considerably!
Thanks very much. That’s totally what I was going for with the white CRT monitor. I already had the white Arturia controller for the CMI V. Bam: a $150 Fairlight.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Found a syx with that "nylon db" patch.
Just rename the extension to syx.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Atsu_4.zip (4.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Nut

Always wondered what the "distorted guitar" patch was. Knew it was something synthetic, but didn't guess a DX7 + effects.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Found a syx with that "nylon db" patch.
Just rename the extension to syx.
Awesome! Enjoy!

There are a lot of folk on the internet that think it’s one of the ROM harps or kotos. They are very similar, but the “nylon db” is the closest thing I’ve came across to the original, and was one of the main reasons I decided to make the video.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1na View Post
Always wondered what the "distorted guitar" patch was. Knew it was something synthetic, but didn't guess a DX7 + effects.
Honestly, it could have been Memorymoog. I’m not really sure. I used the DX/KX because I wanted to use a keytar for the video. My Memorymoog+ has midi, but is not keytar-friendly. Almost anything with a similar ADSR setting sounds virtually the same thru the MXR and Rockman, though.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadrian View Post
Awesome! Enjoy!

There are a lot of folk on the internet that think it’s one of the ROM harps or kotos. They are very similar, but the “nylon db” is the closest thing I’ve came across to the original, and was one of the main reasons I decided to make the video.
Thank you very much.
I thought it was the harp+some kind of processing too - it was a dead end i was stuck in for a long time until you came here.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Thank you very much.
I thought it was the harp+some kind of processing too - it was a dead end i was stuck in for a long time until you came here.
Great! You’re welcome!
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post

cool video.
Yep the two tunes of my youth that got me into synths.
Old 25th February 2020
You couldn't find a cheaper track to dig? Well done
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapro View Post
Yep the two tunes of my youth that got me into synths.
Same!
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitleyTM View Post
You couldn't find a cheaper track to dig? Well done

Thanks!
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great! You’re welcome!

BTW In the Rhythm Guitar sound, i see that the Fairlight sample is GTRHI4, but what is the DX-7 preset ? Not the same as in the main lead ?
A bit hard to decipher the screen at 480p.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:

BTW In the Rhythm Guitar sound, i see that the Fairlight sample is GTRHI4, but what is the DX-7 preset ? Not the same as in the main lead ?
A bit hard to decipher the screen at 480p.
It says “The Talk”. I renamed the patch to that eponymous Jan Hammer song from Miami Vice. It was originally from one of the factory ROMs, though. Maybe 4? It’s called nylon or Spanish guitar or something. You can’t miss it.

Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head

If anyone here ever needs help with ANY Jan Hammer sound from Miami Vice, feel free to ask. Sadly, I’ve been messing around with this stuff (aside from my main musical endeavors) as a hobby since the 1990s.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
It’s called nylon or Spanish guitar or something.
Thanks again.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks again.
You’re welcome!
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

I remember attempting this same cover as a kid with just a Yamaha CS60, a Casio CZ3000 and a Fostex X15 ... with the cheapest pair of walkman headphones you've ever seen Clearly it took a little bit more gear, time ... and ... much more talent! . Well done you

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search