The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New polyend sampler
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
...i’m not saying to change up your whole setup or go all software, adding a small laptop/interface is really no different than adding the Polyend. they’re going to be “tied to” something either way.
And no.

Adding a Polyend Tracker doesn't introduce the need to manage an OS and it's updates, security patches and vulnerabilities, tech creep that eventually invalidates your software and plugins, and many other annoyances...but adding a laptop DOES do this. So no thanks. I work with tech everyday and am well verse in the downsides.

Hell, good hardware also has a longer lifespan than a laptop, not to mention can gain value over time. A computer can't do that.

Better to keep it simple.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

I just find it hilarious that someone for some reason cares about how someone else chooses to do things, I would love for things to stay on topic about the polyend tracker as I've already ordered one and would love to hear what others have to say about it but all this bickering over nothing helps pass the time too!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Getting this thread back on track...

Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
... the need to manage an OS and it's updates, security patches and vulnerabilities, tech creep that eventually invalidates your software and plugins, and many other annoyances...but adding a laptop DOES do this. ...
man, i’ve been using Windows computers for fifteen years now and have pretty much NEVER dealt with ANY of this. all this “worst possible scenario” doesn’t really help anyone. if the anti-computer guys would educate themselves a bit we’d all be better off.

again, i’m not saying to go “all in” (where the number of variables increases considerably). a cheap used laptop and Renoise (with a few choice plugins if you want) is pretty simple.

i do see what you’re saying though, believe me. the Polyend looks pretty cool, just trying to give people something to think about. if they think this looks good, they might be blown away with what Renoise could do. then again, maybe the simplicity of the Polyend is a plus for some.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petajaja View Post
I just find it hilarious that someone for some reason cares about how someone else chooses to do things
I think you are missing the point. He knows better than you do.

I mean... can you really see any difference between these two items? It's pretty obvious they are the same.

Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
you silly ignorant bastard, just shut up.
Easy now, nice guy. I am legitimate FYI.
Ignorant... yes, most likely.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLofgren View Post
I mean... can you really see any difference between these two items? It's pretty obvious they are the same.
Potatoes and pineapples are the same thing. They both go in your mouth, therefore there is no difference.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomanfree View Post
People can do what they want, can have another approach than you or even can have a lot of money: they decide how they like to have fun with music.
Having a different approach than you doesn't mean they are idiot.
You should stop here as your different posts clearly show a negative self-image.
WTF are you on about LOL
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Anybody on here who thinks my advice that trying a tracker to see if you like trackers before buying a tracker, is a bad thing, good luck with life
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

I don't think anyone meant you, whatever is name is above was out right being nasty to people because of their desire to buy a tracker instead of a laptop, trying out renoise or any other tracker before buying this is a great idea and people have nothing to lose. I don't have a computer that can handle music programs and I know for certain personally that this will work well with the way I make music so I'm confident in my blind preorder
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Anybody on here who thinks my advice that trying a tracker to see if you like trackers before buying a tracker, is a bad thing, good luck with life
Trying things are always good, but that's nothing but an indicator of how you actually will like it. You really need to work with something to understand if you personally are suited for it or not.

A few years back I spent quite some time in my local music shop trying out the Nord Lead 4. As a sound designer, I went through all the parts that I consider to be important for an instrument. It ticked almost all boxes and I bought one. After trying to work with it for a few years, I eventually sold it. There was something that turned me off when using it. I think it was the sound - but also the operation was a bit loopy. What I learned from that was that any instrument, software or hardware, is always different that the clinical sum of its parts.

I can absolutely see how using a hardware tracker is fundamentally different from using a cheap laptop with Renoise. Just because one enjoys working with an Elektron Digitakt doesn't mean they will like working with an Octatrack, yet they share the same basic sequencing functionalities.

Saying that working with a software tracker is the same as working with a hardware tracker, is like saying working with the Akai MPC Software is the same thing as working with a hardware MPC, which is - if you have tried it yourself - total bollocks.

/C
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
WTF are you on about LOL
you are too agressive, and out of topic. I'm going to stop to post here and comeback to my usual music forum, where people are able to discuss quietly without insulting, and where a moderator would have stop you before.
Additionnally and globally, the disucssion is out of topic since a long in this thread and (almost) nobody take care.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict
Looking forward to this product in about 6-12 months when hopefully it becomes more a complete automation FX package - so 3 or 4 multiple effects, full automation step by step etc
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Saying that working with a software tracker is the same as working with a hardware tracker, is like saying working with the Akai MPC Software is the same thing as working with a hardware MPC, which is - if you have tried it yourself - total bollocks.

/C
I understand what your saying, but I don’t think your comparison works. The key difference between MPC hardware and software is that the former offers a completely different control paradigm. The MPC hardware offers you touch sensitive pads, minimum of 4 multi function knobs. A multitouch screen. Multiple ins and outs, depending on model. All things that’s a Mac can’t offer natively.

What the Polyend Tracker brings to the picnic isn’t so clear cut I don’t think. It’s a dedicated, portable unit, and that’s definitely not something to sniff at. It’s subjectively aesthetically pleasing, which matters when it comes to being creative.

But other than that, and the large friendly control knob, it’s not hugely clear to me what it offers over a mouse and qwerty keyboard that justifies such notable limitations as 8 simultaneous notes.

Perhaps that’s why some people are finding it a bit difficult to not compare this to Renoise?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriticalMass View Post
I understand what your saying, but I don’t think your comparison works. The key difference between MPC hardware and software is that the former offers a completely different control paradigm. The MPC hardware offers you touch sensitive pads, minimum of 4 multi function knobs. A multitouch screen. Multiple ins and outs, depending on model. All things that’s a Mac can’t offer natively.

What the Polyend Tracker brings to the picnic isn’t so clear cut I don’t think. It’s a dedicated, portable unit, and that’s definitely not something to sniff at. It’s subjectively aesthetically pleasing, which matters when it comes to being creative.

But other than that, and the large friendly control knob, it’s not hugely clear to me what it offers over a mouse and qwerty keyboard that justifies such notable limitations as 8 simultaneous notes.

Perhaps that’s why some people are finding it a bit difficult to not compare this to Renoise?
It isn't just that, it is the utter braindead nature of people spitting their dummy because I suggested they should actually try a tracker before buying a tracker, they are not one size fits all and are very much a required taste.
The MPC analogy is complete nonsense, MPC software is a DAW, MPC hardware is an MPC.
Polyend Tracker, computer with screen, keys and a dial.
Any Tracker, computer with screen, keys and a mousewheel.
The similarities are near 1:1 that it beggars belief that some people think it is bad advice to actually try ANY tracker before buying, a tracker.
Note again, my suggestion, try a tracker before buying one, not don't buy this tracker, not go buy Renoise, but, try any tracker before buying any tracker.
The unique position of being able to actually try something without ever actually leaving their little homebound online barracks, for zero cost, no time limitations, and for most of them at the moment, unlimited free time to do so, somehow that is offensive.
And they wonder why I used the word Idiot for people that did so ?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know. Does it really offer a "completely different control paradigm"? I mean sure, there are differences. The Polyend has more tiny pads, the MPC has fewer but bigger pads, more knobs, and (depending on MPC model) separate outputs.

Differences, sure... but a whole different paradigm? I don't know about that. The 12 x 4 pad grid looks like you can do lots of things with you probably can't do with an MPC.

Quote:

Yeah I agree, it's a bit like the case with the Elektron boxes, like Digitakt. They look dreadfully limited on paper but in real life you can actually do quite a lot. Some people love the Octatrack. Some people love the Deluge. Some people love iPads. Some people love Fruity Loops.

The important thing is the personal connection between the user and an instrument, and how it helps the user get from point A to point B.

I cannot see how anything else matters.

Quote:
Can't speak for anyone else but myself, but I cannot judge a piece of gear using a piece of software. I have to use the damn thing to give any kind of verdict, and that's my personal experience. I know what a computer with a mouse is. I have no idea what the Polyend Tracker is until I work with it.

Maybe it will be glorious. Maybe it will be awful.

I'm really curious. I really liked RMRs video on it. It looked like some things were great and some things sucked.

/C
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Oh, and also note this, anybody who types "I don't have the hardware to run one to test it" that is complete bull**** too, if you can type on this forum, you have a device that will run some tracker of some kind with more features that the Polyend, that isn't disrespecting the Polyend, it is stating a fact, Milky or indeed Sunvox run on near enough everything, and that is just two that are much more powerful than the Polyend already, again, not saying dont buy the Polyend, not saying the standalone nature of hardware is bad, just saying everybody typing in this thread has the ability to basically test the Polyend for free for as long as they want until they buy the Polyend.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can't speak for anyone else but myself, but I cannot judge a piece of gear using a piece of software. I have to use the damn thing to give any kind of verdict, and that's my personal experience. I know what a computer with a mouse is. I have no idea what the Polyend Tracker is until I work with it.
The Polyend is a computer where buttons replicate the keys and a dial replicates the mouse, again, this is a very unique position, extremely unique in fact, the one time where you most definitely can judge a piece of gear by using different gear (No not software, notice i keep pointing out keyboard and mouse) slightly and only very slightly different packaging, but the exact same ergonomic experience, except for one thing, a dial you turn with multiple fingers versus one you rotate with a single finger.
Again, this is the only product you can do this, no you can't run MPC software and know if you like an MPC, for starters a standalone MPC becomes a MIDI controller when attached to MPC software, no you cant try a software SP1200 and know if you like a hardware SP1200.
This you can, then you can go and buy two.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Polyend is a computer where buttons replicate the keys and a dial replicates the mouse, again, this is a very unique position, extremely unique in fact, the one time where you most definitely can judge a piece of gear by using different gear (No not software, notice i keep pointing out keyboard and mouse) slightly and only very slightly different packaging, but the exact same ergonomic experience, except for one thing, a dial you turn with multiple fingers versus one you rotate with a single finger.
Again, this is the only product you can do this, no you can't run MPC software and know if you like an MPC, for starters a standalone MPC becomes a MIDI controller when attached to MPC software, no you cant try a software SP1200 and know if you like a hardware SP1200.
This you can, then you can go and buy two.
I guess you were trying to be sarcastic, but you might be right. I can absolutely see myself using two Digitakts, so that might apply to the PE Tracker as well. But I'll start with one and see how it works.

Anyway, if Laptop + Renoise = Polyend Tracker as you suggest, then the Polyend Tracker might serve as a gateway to the full Tracker experience.

/C
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess you were trying to be sarcastic, but you might be right. I can absolutely see myself using two Digitakts, so that might apply to the PE Tracker as well. But I'll start with one and see how it works.

Anyway, if Laptop + Renoise = Polyend Tracker as you suggest, then the Polyend Tracker might serve as a gateway to the full Tracker experience.

/C
Actually no sarcasm, not at all, anybody who grew up with trackers will tell you that to add extra voices, you added another Amiga, they used to sync tight as a ducks ass, and it gave you extra outputs too, I suspect you will see a lot of dual+ set ups with these if they catch on with hardcore tracker geeks.

Also Polyend should take a long hard look at this
http://pt1210.abime.net/
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually no, not at all, anybody who grew up with trackers will tell you that to add extra voices, you added another Amiga, they used to sync tight as a ducks ass, and it gave you extra outputs too, I suspect you will see a lot of dual+ set ups with these if they catch on with hardcore tracker geeks.

Also Polyend should take a long hard look at this
http://pt1210.abime.net/
Syncing two Amigas? Wow... that's pretty damn cool actually. My only exposure to trackers back then was on the ST - and they were severely limited compared with the Amigas. Four channels of audio if I remember correctly.

/C
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I wonder if the polyend tracker has note delay values
Old 22 hours ago
Lives for gear

I don't even know why people debate this, people don't feel like making music is the same experience between two different computers so why should they feel like there is no difference between computers and other hardware....seriously it's ridiculous.... people feel great creative differences over using two different mpc models some love a 2500 some can't make music on them and can only be creative with the 2000xl, some people can't bear making music on an HP laptop but can on a Sony vaoi or a dell etc... some can't stand making music on Macs but can be creative on pcs... who gives a f*ck really....... some people love your music, some people hate your music and think it's crap...... in the end everybody is right.........for themselves, and completely wrong for the people who don't feel like you do sheeeesh!!!
Old 22 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 8 View Post
I don't even know why people debate this, people don't feel like making music is the same experience between two different computers so why should they feel like there is no difference between computers and other hardware....seriously it's ridiculous.... people feel great creative differences over using two different mpc models some love a 2500 some can't make music on them and can only be creative with the 2000xl, some people can't bear making music on an HP laptop but can on a Sony vaoi or a dell etc... some can't stand making music on Macs but can be creative on pcs... who gives a f*ck really....... some people love your music, some people hate your music and think it's crap...... in the end everybody is right.........for themselves, and completely wrong for the people who don't feel like you do sheeeesh!!!
Which makes it weird to me we have people trying to force laptops on others when clearly they have a different preference. Its like someone pushing their oddball religion on you when you've said repeatedly "no thank you".

Live and let live guys.
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
... people trying to force laptops on others when clearly they have a different preference.
as we've seen here a thousand times, many "preferences" are completely based on obvious ignorance and misunderstanding.
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
as we've seen here a thousand times, many "preferences" are completely based on obvious ignorance and misunderstanding.
preferences are based on experience more than anything else, it's not a chicken or egg which comes first situation, like favorite foods come from having tasted food before
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 8 View Post
preferences are based on experience more than anything else, it's not a chicken or egg which comes first situation, like favorite foods come from having tasted food before
that's not what i'm seeing, the most vocal "anti-computer" guys have pretty much zero experience with modern computers/software/controllers. that's not preference, it's pure ignorance. why do you think i said that in the first place? i'm not here talking out of my ass, i know it because i've/we've seen it over and over.

i've been arguing this stuff for ten years now, i can't even count how many times i've seen those same people change their "preferences" once they actually had some experience. that's the thing - when i talk about this i already know their workflow, having experienced it myself. they try to argue their point having no concept of what i'm trying to tell them. it's ridiculous.

yes, sometimes people do actually prefer something based on experience.
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope. I started my musical journey with samples, DAWs, and VSTs. That inspired me to move into hardware because hardware felt more inclined to my approach and flow. Now with a guitar, kalimba, hand drum, and several synths, pedals, drum machines, etc...plus the iPad, I've never been happier.

I've seen the other side and for me, that grass is not greener.

Now I'll go back to sipping my whisky and digging into the Mono Station, while patiently awaiting the Polyend Tracker to add to the chain.
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear

Damn I'm GAS-ing so hard for this right now!

Sounds so gooood.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search