The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If you could...Moog One or Vintage Matrix 12?
Old 27th February 2020
  #91
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

@ Oberheim here a pic from the inside, same soundboards like the xpander, but two instead of one
the power supply is a switching power supply for both



here you can see a single voice, a few chips .. nothing more

Old 4 weeks ago
  #92
Lives for gear
 

Went and played my friend's One yesterday (he also has an xpander, funnily enough). What I was really struck by was how smooth the One was. I'm sure there are a myriad of ways to make it more aggressive, but the basic tone was very polite. Which I actually love, since I tend to prefer mellow over hard. So even in terms of overall tone vibe it has a lot in common with the M-12 (different flavors of "refined"--M-12 still wins in terms of a more apparent vintage phasey-3-D tone). And the serial/parallel filter option definitely allows you to go into some territory that is simply not possible on the M-12. This experience reaffirmed what I was saying earlier, which is that if I didn't already own a M-12, I would be thinking about a One.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #93
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff View Post
Went and played my friend's One yesterday (he also has an xpander, funnily enough). What I was really struck by was how smooth the One was. I'm sure there are a myriad of ways to make it more aggressive, but the basic tone was very polite. Which I actually love, since I tend to prefer mellow over hard. So even in terms of overall tone vibe it has a lot in common with the M-12 (different flavors of "refined"--M-12 still wins in terms of a more apparent vintage phasey-3-D tone). And the serial/parallel filter option definitely allows you to go into some territory that is simply not possible on the M-12. This experience reaffirmed what I was saying earlier, which is that if I didn't already own a M-12, I would be thinking about a One.
Indeed there are many ways depending on which flavor you prefer.
If you set SAW time to 6 micro seconds (instead of the default 60 micro seconds) you get more agressive/harsh tones.
On the opposite if you go above 60 you remove high frequencies and get much warmer/mellow tones.
Then of course the curves shapes used for VCF and VCA envelopes attack also play a huge role.
I favor exponential (with different percentages depending on the sounds) but usage of HOLD time right after the attack also has a very important impact (default being zero).
I don’t know of other synths with that Hold stage and at first I didn’t even use it.
But it really helped me dialing vintage and other types of tones.
The sheer number of possibilities forces you to spend days and days learning the beast
But it’s a lot of fun (at least for me ) and doing so you sometimes get great unexpected tones
Cheers!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #94
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinw View Post
Indeed there are many ways depending on which flavor you prefer.
If you set SAW time to 6 micro seconds (instead of the default 60 micro seconds) you get more agressive/harsh tones.
On the opposite if you go above 60 you remove high frequencies and get much warmer/mellow tones.
Then of course the curves shapes used for VCF and VCA envelopes attack also play a huge role.
I favor exponential (with different percentages depending on the sounds) but usage of HOLD time right after the attack also has a very important impact (default being zero).
I don’t know of other synths with that Hold stage and at first I didn’t even use it.
But it really helped me dialing vintage and other types of tones.
The sheer number of possibilities forces you to spend days and days learning the beast
But it’s a lot of fun (at least for me ) and doing so you sometimes get great unexpected tones
Cheers!
Ah! Wish I'd know that when playing because the saw in particularly seemed overly smoothed out to me. In any case that's great to know--only improves my perception of the machine further.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #95
Gear Head
 

Sweeping the wave angles on the Moog one oscillators with an LFO or key velocity will also give a more phasey character to the sound. From subtle to extreme and everything in between. Adds a lot of motion when applied subtly.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #96
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

and correct the tune with a random lfo at the same time , jurassic absolute jurassic

pity that this is currently fiction.

Old 4 weeks ago
  #97
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
and correct the tune with a random lfo at the same time , jurassic absolute jurassic

pity that this is currently fiction.

Wow that looks amazing!!!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #98
Gear Maniac
Well it seems my hand may have (potentially) been forced.

The M12 I was looking at seems to be no longer available and the only one left is for sale at TWICE the price of a band new Moog One.

With this all said, I played the Moog One in the store for about 30 minutes. Didn’t create any patches (which I love doing)... just presets.

For some reason, I wasn’t feeling it, really not sure why. I was expecting to be totally blown away by it.

What I have since done is started to look at the Prophet X and I’m slightly more drawn to that. For the same price as the Moog One I could get a Prophet X and a Pro 3.

Perhaps my dreams of owning an M12 were misguided and the Universe is pushing me in the direction I should to be going in.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #99
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberheim View Post
Wow that looks amazing!!!
the pot edition..

Old 4 weeks ago
  #100
Gear Maniac
I will keep investigating the Moog One... I think I need more time with it
Old 4 weeks ago
  #101
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

maybe in 2 3 years, after 20 more updates, hope that there will be other polys until then.

do you know the sunsyn from jomox .. this is really modular ..
The filters of the SunSyn have some special features: They consist of 4 stages or poles, which, in contrast to the classic 4-pole filter, can be regulated individually

in Sunsyn practically every signal can be set to a modulation target via a switching matrix (with an adjustable amount, of course). 4 such free links are feasible.

The peculiarity lies in the fact that the signals are actually analog signals like VCO1 square, ENV1 etc. and no controls in the internal CV controls like e.g. back then at the Oberheim Matrix-12. This enables fast FM modulations and modulations of the modulations because the amount is a VCA (= modifier), which in turn can be controlled by an analog signal.



Old 4 weeks ago
  #102
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
the pot edition..

That is incredible,

I will have the Pot edition please!!!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #103
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
maybe in 2 3 years, after 20 more updates, hope that there will be other polys until then.

do you know the sunsyn from jomox .. this is really modular ..
The filters of the SunSyn have some special features: They consist of 4 stages or poles, which, in contrast to the classic 4-pole filter, can be regulated individually

in Sunsyn practically every signal can be set to a modulation target via a switching matrix (with an adjustable amount, of course). 4 such free links are feasible.

The peculiarity lies in the fact that the signals are actually analog signals like VCO1 square, ENV1 etc. and no controls in the internal CV controls like e.g. back then at the Oberheim Matrix-12. This enables fast FM modulations and modulations of the modulations because the amount is a VCA (= modifier), which in turn can be controlled by an analog signal.



I’ve heard of this but they are very rare and expensive - do they still make them?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #104
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberheim View Post
I’ve heard of this but they are very rare and expensive - do they still make them?
no for a long time, about 300 were built. but can be found from time to time .. 4 5 k..ok on silly reverb 8k ..
the midi is not that great, but it is probably the most flexible filter ever, each band can be individually lp bp or hp .. there is a ladder to fall asleep
Old 4 weeks ago
  #105
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberheim View Post
Ok. So....

Let’s award points to the best advice on how to approach my wife with a reason to invest that she can’t say “no” to.

Go!!!
Life is short, at least you're not into adultery, sports cars or boats, all of which are much more expensive, pandemic, stock market crash, will be able to entertain starving street urchins after the apocalypse, far less polluting than other hobbies, keeps you calm and sane, plans to make her a hit YouTube star singing alongside your playing, she can tell her friends she's married to an actual musician, makes you better in bed, educational opportunity for the kids.... Justifications are legion!

Best one would be, I won't object when you ask for the swimming pool.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #106
Lives for gear
 
24dB's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
The goal is clear: just keep posting negative nonsense about anything you got a beef with, and for whatever demented reason, so that a certain narrative is established and, hey... if it gets repeated enough your crap will eventually start to ring true, right?
So.....Russian?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump