The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If you could...Moog One or Vintage Matrix 12?
Old 27th February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

@ Oberheim here a pic from the inside, same soundboards like the xpander, but two instead of one
the power supply is a switching power supply for both

here you can see a single voice, a few chips .. nothing more

Old 1st March 2020
Lives for gear

Went and played my friend's One yesterday (he also has an xpander, funnily enough). What I was really struck by was how smooth the One was. I'm sure there are a myriad of ways to make it more aggressive, but the basic tone was very polite. Which I actually love, since I tend to prefer mellow over hard. So even in terms of overall tone vibe it has a lot in common with the M-12 (different flavors of "refined"--M-12 still wins in terms of a more apparent vintage phasey-3-D tone). And the serial/parallel filter option definitely allows you to go into some territory that is simply not possible on the M-12. This experience reaffirmed what I was saying earlier, which is that if I didn't already own a M-12, I would be thinking about a One.
Old 1st March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff View Post
Went and played my friend's One yesterday (he also has an xpander, funnily enough). What I was really struck by was how smooth the One was. I'm sure there are a myriad of ways to make it more aggressive, but the basic tone was very polite. Which I actually love, since I tend to prefer mellow over hard. So even in terms of overall tone vibe it has a lot in common with the M-12 (different flavors of "refined"--M-12 still wins in terms of a more apparent vintage phasey-3-D tone). And the serial/parallel filter option definitely allows you to go into some territory that is simply not possible on the M-12. This experience reaffirmed what I was saying earlier, which is that if I didn't already own a M-12, I would be thinking about a One.
Indeed there are many ways depending on which flavor you prefer.
If you set SAW time to 6 micro seconds (instead of the default 60 micro seconds) you get more agressive/harsh tones.
On the opposite if you go above 60 you remove high frequencies and get much warmer/mellow tones.
Then of course the curves shapes used for VCF and VCA envelopes attack also play a huge role.
I favor exponential (with different percentages depending on the sounds) but usage of HOLD time right after the attack also has a very important impact (default being zero).
I don’t know of other synths with that Hold stage and at first I didn’t even use it.
But it really helped me dialing vintage and other types of tones.
The sheer number of possibilities forces you to spend days and days learning the beast
But it’s a lot of fun (at least for me ) and doing so you sometimes get great unexpected tones
Cheers!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinw View Post
Indeed there are many ways depending on which flavor you prefer.
If you set SAW time to 6 micro seconds (instead of the default 60 micro seconds) you get more agressive/harsh tones.
On the opposite if you go above 60 you remove high frequencies and get much warmer/mellow tones.
Then of course the curves shapes used for VCF and VCA envelopes attack also play a huge role.
I favor exponential (with different percentages depending on the sounds) but usage of HOLD time right after the attack also has a very important impact (default being zero).
I don’t know of other synths with that Hold stage and at first I didn’t even use it.
But it really helped me dialing vintage and other types of tones.
The sheer number of possibilities forces you to spend days and days learning the beast
But it’s a lot of fun (at least for me ) and doing so you sometimes get great unexpected tones
Cheers!
Ah! Wish I'd know that when playing because the saw in particularly seemed overly smoothed out to me. In any case that's great to know--only improves my perception of the machine further.
Gear Maniac

Sweeping the wave angles on the Moog one oscillators with an LFO or key velocity will also give a more phasey character to the sound. From subtle to extreme and everything in between. Adds a lot of motion when applied subtly.
Old 1st March 2020
Lives for gear

and correct the tune with a random lfo at the same time , jurassic absolute jurassic

pity that this is currently fiction.

Old 2nd March 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
and correct the tune with a random lfo at the same time , jurassic absolute jurassic

Wow that looks amazing!!!
Gear Addict
Well it seems my hand may have (potentially) been forced.

The M12 I was looking at seems to be no longer available and the only one left is for sale at TWICE the price of a band new Moog One.

With this all said, I played the Moog One in the store for about 30 minutes. Didn’t create any patches (which I love doing)... just presets.

For some reason, I wasn’t feeling it, really not sure why. I was expecting to be totally blown away by it.

What I have since done is started to look at the Prophet X and I’m slightly more drawn to that. For the same price as the Moog One I could get a Prophet X and a Pro 3.

Perhaps my dreams of owning an M12 were misguided and the Universe is pushing me in the direction I should to be going in.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberheim View Post
Wow that looks amazing!!!
the pot edition..

Gear Addict
I will keep investigating the Moog One... I think I need more time with it
Old 2nd March 2020
Lives for gear

maybe in 2 3 years, after 20 more updates, hope that there will be other polys until then.

do you know the sunsyn from jomox .. this is really modular ..
The filters of the SunSyn have some special features: They consist of 4 stages or poles, which, in contrast to the classic 4-pole filter, can be regulated individually

in Sunsyn practically every signal can be set to a modulation target via a switching matrix (with an adjustable amount, of course). 4 such free links are feasible.

The peculiarity lies in the fact that the signals are actually analog signals like VCO1 square, ENV1 etc. and no controls in the internal CV controls like e.g. back then at the Oberheim Matrix-12. This enables fast FM modulations and modulations of the modulations because the amount is a VCA (= modifier), which in turn can be controlled by an analog signal.

Gear Addict
Quote:
the pot edition..

That is incredible,

I will have the Pot edition please!!!
Gear Addict
Quote:
maybe in 2 3 years, after 20 more updates, hope that there will be other polys until then.

do you know the sunsyn from jomox .. this is really modular ..
The filters of the SunSyn have some special features: They consist of 4 stages or poles, which, in contrast to the classic 4-pole filter, can be regulated individually

in Sunsyn practically every signal can be set to a modulation target via a switching matrix (with an adjustable amount, of course). 4 such free links are feasible.

The peculiarity lies in the fact that the signals are actually analog signals like VCO1 square, ENV1 etc. and no controls in the internal CV controls like e.g. back then at the Oberheim Matrix-12. This enables fast FM modulations and modulations of the modulations because the amount is a VCA (= modifier), which in turn can be controlled by an analog signal.

I’ve heard of this but they are very rare and expensive - do they still make them?
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’ve heard of this but they are very rare and expensive - do they still make them?
no for a long time, about 300 were built. but can be found from time to time .. 4 5 k..ok on silly reverb 8k ..
the midi is not that great, but it is probably the most flexible filter ever, each band can be individually lp bp or hp .. there is a ladder to fall asleep
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok. So....

Let’s award points to the best advice on how to approach my wife with a reason to invest that she can’t say “no” to.

Go!!!
Life is short, at least you're not into adultery, sports cars or boats, all of which are much more expensive, pandemic, stock market crash, will be able to entertain starving street urchins after the apocalypse, far less polluting than other hobbies, keeps you calm and sane, plans to make her a hit YouTube star singing alongside your playing, she can tell her friends she's married to an actual musician, makes you better in bed, educational opportunity for the kids.... Justifications are legion!

Best one would be, I won't object when you ask for the swimming pool.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
The goal is clear: just keep posting negative nonsense about anything you got a beef with, and for whatever demented reason, so that a certain narrative is established and, hey... if it gets repeated enough your crap will eventually start to ring true, right?
So.....Russian?
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Addict
Hello everyone....

In the end I decided that with everything going on in the world, life is too short.

So I bought both.

Just need to get a new solder on PSU Inductor on the Matrix 12 as it broek in transit. The solder must have been quite brittle. I hope it will work properly. That was the only downside to this but overall I am extremely happy and I don't regret a thing.

I will post a pic once I've got them together.

The Moog One is off the charts sound wise. So far so good, but there are some basic bugs that I was surprised by. That can be resolved by firmware updates thankfully.
Old 30th May 2020
Lives for gear

Cool!

Now that you’ve decided.... Moog One in a heartbeat, just more my thing.

Still enjoy my Andromeda, but that’s the one I’d see most likely to trade in for a Moog One, if I could do it locally. Not at all that I’m tired of the A6, on the contrary! But it’d be worth it to find the money and space for the Moog One. Even with all the latter’s foibles.

It’s the only other new synth out there I’d say is in the same ballpark.
Old 30th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Get the Moog and wait for Uli to clone the Matrix 12 for $999.
You stole my thunder.

My response was going to be - 'not currently an option, but I'd like to see someone make a modern Matrix 12'.

Wouldn't have to be Uli though - anyone who has the know-how would be fine for me.
Old 31st May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:

Thanks for the pic. All set for next April Fools day now.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hello everyone....

In the end I decided that with everything going on in the world, life is too short.

So I bought both.....

Spoken like a true gear slut.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Well it seems my hand may have (potentially) been forced.

The M12 I was looking at seems to be no longer available and the only one left is for sale at TWICE the price of a band new Moog One.

With this all said, I played the Moog One in the store for about 30 minutes. Didn’t create any patches (which I love doing)... just presets.

For some reason, I wasn’t feeling it, really not sure why. I was expecting to be totally blown away by it.

What I have since done is started to look at the Prophet X and I’m slightly more drawn to that. For the same price as the Moog One I could get a Prophet X and a Pro 3.

Perhaps my dreams of owning an M12 were misguided and the Universe is pushing me in the direction I should to be going in.
I wasn’t going to say anything, because I didn’t want to be mean to someone’s opinion who was set on a Moog One, but now that you bring it up, I’ve yet to hear a demo of one that really got me excited about it. I was listening to Super 6 demos earlier and, to me, they sounded way more like I want a synth to sound. I think it shares the filter with the Prophet X, which is another synth that really gets to me. Going for a Prophet X and a Pro 3 would not be a shabby setup.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
Thanks for the pic. All set for next April Fools day now.
hi april..

Old 3rd June 2020
Kind of on a buying spree lately and have the budget for either. Unfortunately I need to be responsible and get my little room organized first as I have things lying on the floor, against walls, stacked on top of each other, etc (Thomann is out of 6 tier stands for the next several weeks!). I'd probably buy a Matrix 12 if I was making a decision right now, don't think they're going to get any cheaper. Plus these sound unique and Moog One prices will come to me eventually.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head
I own the Moog One, Schmidt and Sunsyn - and played a lot with Matrix-12. All are good. The synth that beats the Matrix-12 is Sunsyn and Schmidt. Either of them. They both have super fast envelopes but you can make them slow like the Matrix -- and they both have powerful multimodal filtering - the Schmidt has individual filters for each of the modes!!! This is what you pay for! It is amazing. But super expensive. I have the White Schmidt and will never sell it. Same for the Sunsyn. I sold one, once, never again.
Lives for gear
Quote:

I would almost certainly buy one of those. Have you sent that pic to Behringer yet?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
I would almost certainly buy one of those. Have you sent that pic to Behringer yet?
no that's not mine. Heinakroon makes such beautiful designs .. but is only active on fb
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxiesmerge View Post
I own the Moog One, Schmidt and Sunsyn - and played a lot with Matrix-12. All are good. The synth that beats the Matrix-12 is Sunsyn and Schmidt. Either of them. They both have super fast envelopes but you can make them slow like the Matrix -- and they both have powerful multimodal filtering - the Schmidt has individual filters for each of the modes!!! This is what you pay for! It is amazing. But super expensive. I have the White Schmidt and will never sell it. Same for the Sunsyn. I sold one, once, never again.
I have tried to own a sunsyn, twice—soundwise it’s fine but both times I was totally let down by poor tuning and frustrating stuff like the filters never properly tracking the keyboard. And what happens when Mr Jomox retires? I think the current prices have more than surpassed its actual value.
📝 Reply