The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MPC 4000 Fanatics Club.
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear

MPC 4000 Fanatics Club.

Welcome brothers!
Also to all those that are interested in the mighty MPC 4000..

Over the many years of owning learning creating and enjoying with this wonderful machine I've come to appreciate it as a true masterpiece.
I think it's greatly misunderstood by those who do not comprehend it's true power greatness and flexibility.
I don't know how many more people feel the same way I do
but if you are blessed to own one you owe it to yourself to investigate it further.

I also want to acknowledge and thank Muser for his wonderful thread! Its a great resource for all 4K/Z8 owners.
AKAI Z8 or MPC4000 Tricks & Tips ?

I would love to hear from all of you, your experiences with it, story's links videos pictures mishaps breakthroughs whatever..

Feel free to contribute whatever you like.

Also if their are any people involved in the creation of it developers or whoever I would love to hear form you as well.

Quote:
Established friendly and intuitive user interface of MPC series, now with large graphic LCD display
MPC’s legendary "feel" and "groove", with 10 times more resolution for non-quantized live sequencing
Great-feeling, velocity and pressure sensitive pads for expressive programming, with more pad banks
Expanded Pattern-based and linear 300,000 notes, 128-track sequencer with 128 internal Parts and 64 external MIDI channels
64-voice full-featured 24bit sampler (32-voice at 96kHz) with up to 512MB RAM
2) Extensive connectivity

Two MIDI inputs and four MIDI outputs
Built-in USB and SCSI interface for external drives
USB Slave port for connection to a Windows or Mac OS computer with the free akSys sofware
Up to 10 analog outputs, and/or 10 digital outputs with optional IB-48P and IB-4ADT expansion boards
XLR and 1/4" stereo analog inputs and outputs with 24bit/96kHz AD/DA converter
Phono inputs with RIAA preamp for direct connection of a turntable
WordClock input for integration with other digital device
Flexible Master/Slave synchronization capabilities: MIDI clock, MTC, MMC and built-in SMPTE
Two assignable footswitch inputs
3) Compatibility

Compatible with Akai, Roland and EMU CD-ROM libraries (programs and samples)
WAV file support, and MIDI File Type 0 and 1 support
4) Extensive sound control

Extensive sample editing that includes cut and paste, timestretch, slice, resampling etc., with waveform display
Dynamic resonant multi-mode filters, 3 envelope generators and 2 LFOs for each of the 64 voices
Six Q-Link sliders and knobs for real-time control over a wide variety of dynamic changes
Internal 4-bus multi-FX processor
5) Self-contained

Internal 80GB hard drive to store custom sound libraries and sequences
Onboard CD-RW drive to load CD-ROM libraries, sample Audio CDs, and backup personal data
Specifications

Sound Generator >Data format: 24bit and 16bit linear WAV
Sampling rate: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 96kHz
Memory: 272MB standard, expandable to 512MB with a 256MB 168pin DIMM (PC133/PC100, CL2)
Preset sound memory: 5MB Flash
Recording time: 51mn / 34mn (16/24 bit) mono @ 44.1kHz (272MB)
96m n / 64mn (16/24 bit) mono @ 44.1kHz (512MB)
Polyphony: 64-voice (32-voice @ 96kHz)
Filters: 3 dynamic resonant 2-pole multimode filters per voice
Envelope generators: 2 multi-stage envelopes and 1 ADSR envelopes
LFOs: 2 multi-wave LFO
64-point modulation matrix
Number of simultaneous active programs: up to 128 Parts per Multi, with automated Part mixer
Effects 4 simultaneous internal effects (2 @ 96kHz)
51 effects types including reverbs, delays, chorus, phasers, flangers, 3-band parametric EQ, compressor/limiter, distortion, pitch shifter, wah, and more
Sequencer Capacity: 300,000 notes
Resolution: 960ppq
128 Sequences
128 Tracks per sequence
64 MIDI output channels (16 channels x 4 output ports)
Song mode: 128 songs, 250 steps per song
MIDI Sync: Master/Slave, MIDI Clock, MTC, MMC
SMPTE Sync: Master/Slave
Step edit, Piano Roll edit, Drum Grid edit
Drumpads 16 velocity and pressure sensitive pads
6 pad banks
16 Levels: Velocity, Tuning
Automated Pad Mixer (Level, Pan and FX send)
Track Mute and Next Sequence features for live performance
Q-Link 2 sliders and 4 rotary knobs
Assignable to internal sampler controls: pitch, filter cutoff, resonance, LFO, attack, decay, and more
Assignable to internal effects parameters
Assignable to external Midi Controllers
Q-Link Sequence feature
Connections Record Input (L and R): XLR - 1/4"; jack combo x 2, balanced
Phono Input; RCA x 2 with RIAA EQ
Stereo Output (L and R): XLR x 2 and 1/4” jack x 2, balanced
Individual Outputs: 1/4" jack x 8, balanced (option)
Headphone Output: 1/4" stereo jack x 1
Multi-channel ADAT Digital I/O: Toslink optical x 2 (option)
MIDI: 2 x MIDI In and 4 x MIDI Out
SMPTE In/Out: 1/4" jack x 2, balanced
SCSI: 50pin high density connector
USB: USB: Host x 1, Slave x 1 (v1.1 / Mass Storage Class support)
Footswitches: 1/4" jack x 2
General Display: 320 x 240 pixels grey-scale graphical tilting LCD
Internal Hard Drive: 80GB
CD-RW drive
Standard accessories: 1x CD-ROM sound library, Power cable
Power: 100-240V AC, 50/60Hz
Consumption: 70W max (with all options)
Dimensions (W x H x D):
20.71" x 6.69" x 17.83"
(526mm x 170mm x 453mm) [with LCD tilted down]
Weight: 23 lbs (10.5kg), excluding drives and options
Options IB-48P: 8 individual analog outputs
IB-4ADT: multi-channel ADAT digital I/O
IB-4D SPDIF I/O with WordClock
Download the MPC Comparison Chart

The Akai Professional MPC4000 Plus Music Production Center combines a 128-Track MIDI Sequencer and a 64-voice 24bit Stereo Digital Sampler, with 16 velocity and pressure sensitive rubber pads, providing rock solid sequencing and drum programming combined with extensive sampling facilities in one extremely powerful desktop unit.

Designed for professional audio production, the MPC4000 Plus offers all the advantages of dedicated hardware, features a large LCD plus the computer interface power of akSys PC/Mac control and networking software. And to make sure all this power runs smoothly, at the heart of the MPC4000 Plus is our new custom designed LSI sampling engine which, coupled with a high performance Intel™ Strong Arm CPU provides ultra fast audio processing.

More than just a sampling drum machine, for the first time, the MPC4000 Plus supports not only conventional Drum programs but also gives you the choice of selecting Keygroup programs allowing you to play 'conventional' multi-sampled sounds such as piano, bass, strings, synth, etc., from a keyboard just like our rack mount samplers. Furthermore, it is compatible with the largest variety of sound libraries: Akai S1000, S3000 and XL series, S5/S6000, Z4/Z8, MPC2000XL, MPC3000, Roland S700 series, and EMU 3 and 4 series.

Sample recording can be performed even while the sequencer is running, from digital or analog inputs, including a RIAA phono input for direct connection of a turntable, or from the internal CD drive, and the MPC4000 Plus can also resample its own stereo output.

The MPC4000 Plus shares all the sample-manipulation functionality of the Z series, including looping, time-stretching, pitch-shifting, slicing and dicing.

New filtering is provided by way of 6-pole digital dynamic filters. The new filter design not only supports multi-mode filter types, but also new variations such as the triple filter consisting of three independent 2-pole filters.

Filter modulation is part of the 64-point APM (assignable program modulation) matrix which has more than 30 modulation items freely assignable as either source or destination. Modulation items also include 3 independent envelope generators and 2 syncable LFOs. Furthermore one source can be assigned to multiple destinations and likewise multiple sources can be assigned to one destination just like on a vintage synth matrix patch board.

Four internal effects processors can be used simultaneously, including a wide range of effects algorithms, such as reverbs, delays, chorus, phasers, flangers, 3-band parametric EQ, compressor/limiter, distortion, pitch shifter, wah, and more.

Real-time control is provided by two note variation sliders and four Q-Link knobs. These can be separately assigned to allow flexible real-time performance control of a wide variety of selectable parameters including level, pan, filter cut-off and resonance, tuning, LFO speed and depth, all effect parameters and more.

Each assignable Q-Link knob can generate MIDI controller data so that all performance information can be recorded and played back from a within a sequence, and the Q-Link sequencer allows cyclic modulation programming.

Of course, as all MPCs, the MPC4000 Plus provides both pattern-based and linear sequencing, with the added capability to play simultaneously a pattern-based song and a linear sequence. Improved sequencing functions include resolution up to 960ppq, and a sequence data clipboard allows you to create a phrase library.

As on the legendary MPC60 and MPC3000, 2 MIDI ins and 4 MIDI outs also come as standard on the MPC4000 Plus enabling 64 external MIDI channels operation, but in addition, the MPC4000 Plus can control its onboard sampler over up to 128 Parts, allowing to assign a different program on each of the 128 track.

The large LCD also allows an unprecedented view of sequence data showing data as a piano roll or as a drum machine 'grid'. Continuous MIDI data can also be shown (and edited) graphically.

The MPC4000 Plus comes with 272MB of onboard memory as standard that can be expanded up to 512 MB of RAM using a standard DIMM. It is equipped with internal 80GB Hard Disk and CD-RW drives.

The MPC4000 Plus also includes a 50pin SCSI interface and a USB Host port for connection to external drives. The USB port can also be used to connect an ASCII keyboard for easier file naming.

A USB slave port allows direct connection to a PC or Apple Mac for use with the free akSys software.

As well as editing, this graphically rich remote control software allows you to transfer files between the MPC and your computer for efficient organization of sound library, etc., and for speedy integration with your favorite computer music software. Samples can be edited as standard Wav files and sequences as standard Midi files.

The included Pad editor allows you to drag&drop samples directly onto the Pads with 4 adjustable velocity layers.

The MPC4000 Plus is the most powerful MPC ever, with a full-featured multi-timbral sampler and a 128-track sequencer with graphic editing. The only 24bit/96kHz hardware MIDI music production center on the market.

For all professional studio productions and live performances. Connecting a MIDI keyboard to the MPC4000 Plus allows full use of the onboard sampler, not only for drums, bass and loops, but also any kind of multi-sampled/multi-timbral instruments (piano, synths, etc.)

Last edited by NEXUS-6; 20th February 2020 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: :>
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear

I own two. One of them is for spares, just in case.
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog Day View Post
I own two. One of them is for spares, just in case.
Same here!

have you ever tried hooking them up together for 20 out puts?

I think this guy http://ghostinmpc.com/
has surpassed the OG Forat in paint & customization..
The torch has been passed on. Beautiful work.
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear

4000 love in!
Put a new jog wheel in mine a while back. Thinking about putting an ssd & quiet fan in but never get round to it.
Super powerful machine. I don’t think even ‘new Akai’ know what the 4000 can do...
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear
I have huge respect for what they can do and the performance. I had two last year, with one as a spare, and I just didn't end up using them as much as I thought I would. So I sold them to fund a kronos.

Yet now i have another on the way, because there is really nothing else that can do what they can, midiwise, except a very small number of things you have to wait 4 years for.

So I am back on the bandwagon!
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear
I have huge respect for what they can do and the performance. I had two last year, with one as a spare, and I just didn't end up using them as much as I thought I would. So I sold them to fund a kronos.

Yet now i have another on the way, because there is really nothing else that can do what they can, midiwise, except a very small number of things you have to wait 4 years for.

So I am back on the bandwagon!
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmanzie View Post
4000 love in!
Put a new jog wheel in mine a while back. Thinking about putting an ssd & quiet fan in but never get round to it.
Super powerful machine. I don’t think even ‘new Akai’ know what the 4000 can do...
I installed two in mine. One internal & one removable.
Helps a lot when using ak. Sys on an old Macbook pro..

Old 21st February 2020
I admire these things. The MPC4K is the sleek sportscar my family stationwagon of a S6K wishes it was.
Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear
Ok I need to drag midi onto the MPC via usb. How streamlined can I make the workflow between pushing a midi file into usb and having it pop up ready to hit play as a sequence? Is there a midi type 1 versus 0 limitation? Excited to use this to sequence all the hardware now thst I am set up to do it, but I will be trying to do most of the sequencing in the DAW first then push it to the MpC.
Old 21st February 2020
In b4 "MPC3000 IS BEST MPC" posts...

I was THIS close to finally getting one a few months back but ultimately I ended up going with the Live. Theres still one near me for sale for like $500 though, I may still go buy it just for the heck of it. Id love to see what its like having a real sampler inside my MPC for once. I hate having to crouch down to get to my Emu at the bottom of my rack hah.
Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Same here!

Unfortunately, I tore one down to its component parts, after thinking it was dead. Turns out it was just the PC filter board had a cracked trace. It's still in pieces.

Quote:
Yeah, that looks great.

I would love to get one painted in the same color scheme and fonts as the MPC2000XL.
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Maniac

Still the most comprehensive MPC ever made IMO. No disrespect to the new MPC’s.... but the MIDI on these machines are lightyears ahead of the Live/X/One. I’ve still got a Z8, but all this waiting for Akai to fix the MIDI on the X has me thinking about buying another 4000. They even support 24 bit samples.

On a side note: Recycle still supports .AKP program export.
Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
960ppq
Damn.
Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear

I've been considering an MPC X lately.

Should I be looking at a 4000, instead?

What's up...
Old 21st February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Same here!

I had a paint job done. I wouldn't say he surpassed Forat. The quality is ok with bad spots. He even broke the F buttons at the top. The only thing Forat didn't want to touch was the screen.
Old 21st February 2020
Quote:
Same here!

Thanks for posting the link to ghostinmpc - seriously nice work! I love that camo one there.
Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Id love to see what its like having a real sampler inside my MPC for once..
What is it that the 4000 does sampling-wise that you can't do with the Live or X?
Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
I admire these things. The MPC4K is the sleek sportscar my family stationwagon of a S6K wishes it was.
How would you compare the 4000 and the S6K in terms of sound? I find my 6K much more pleasing then the mpc1000 which I mainly use to sequence it. Was always tempted by the 4000.
Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I've been considering an MPC X lately.

Should I be looking at a 4000, instead?

What's up...
The 4k is just generally nice, if you are willing to learn The MPC Way. The sequencer is solid and high resolution, and the sampler sounds good—though I wouldn’t say it colors the sound much, which is what some users want in an MPC.

The machine is totally set up to run MIDI in and out on multiple channels, through multiple jacks—the idea is that it can be the boss of your setup (if you don’t mind the tiny screen and the complete lack of VSTs).

You should be prepared to get under the hood with an old MPC—be able to install the 8 output board, or replace the sensors, or add Corx under the pads if you want more sensitivity. These basic mods don’t require soldering, and you can chase down the info, but you still have to patiently take the machine apart to get at what you’re fixing. The fan is godawful loud (at least mine is), and people replace that sometimes too.

Downsides: (1) It’s big and heavy; (2) the Aksys software for setting up folders and such was written at the time of Windows XP, so you need to know if your OS has an emulator mode or other workaround; (3) the song mode is very simple, and takes over the machine when it’s running—but at least there is a song mode, and you can save the songs. It’s good enough.

MPCStuff is there to sell you parts. I like the old school MPC users—they tend to love music more than gear—and the MPC Forums can be a good source of information, if Youtube and the Akai documentation fail you. The machine still has some support.

I haven’t used an X and am still learning the Live, so not sure what all the pros and cons are there—except that the 4k can simultaneously play several different sounds triggered by MIDI from several different channels, which the Live/X apparently can’t.

Last edited by percussion boy; 21st February 2020 at 01:54 PM..
Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
What is it that the 4000 does sampling-wise that you can't do with the Live or X?
4k has a modulation matrix where you can assign various modulation sources to destinations - eg LfO1 modulates Pitch. But in contrast to the Live (as far as I know because I don't have one, but I have asked regularly in the MPC Live thread), there is much more ability to create interesting modulations - see grab from the manual here! >
Attached Thumbnails
MPC 4000 Fanatics Club.-4k-mod-matrix.jpg  

Last edited by tedmanzie; 21st February 2020 at 02:53 PM..
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Maniac

MPC4K Hardcore user here....

Bought mine New in 2002

I Still use it,still going strong,never let me down,other than a few locks ups due to bugs,but those are very rare,it still boots up and works flawlessly,everyday I had to replace a few Hard drives over the years and recently bought a new pair of RAM sticks as mine had given up the ghost,but rocksolid reliable it is

It's the only piece of gear in my studio i've had from new that has never been sold on,I recently looked at the MPC X but felt there was nothing I was really benefitting from and also didn't want to rely on the Touchscreen for things,plus I felt after demoing one in person it seemed a little flimsy compared to the 4K which is an absolute tank,didnt like that squidgy arm rest on the X,felt cheap.I dont see the MPC X as an upgrade more of a side step,plus I'm waiting to see how far Akai go with the Software updates before I jump to an X but will still keep the 4K if I do but still got a lot of mileage in the 4000 yet.

The only machine that really rivals the 4K in terms of features is the Roland MV8800 I have one of those as well but rarely use it so much these days I just prefer the MPC way of doing things,both unique and excellent in their own ways.sampler in the MV is easier to use and autochop is instant,where as the MPC takes time to achieve the same results,but I tend to to most of my sampling in software and then dump the samples to the 4k Just because its more convenient anyway,but both machines are great,as someones already mentioned in a thread above,(I use Recycle from Propellerheads) which allows you to chop up samples and import them as Akai program format.

I know my way around the 4k with my eyes closed,I stopped using Hard drives though when the last one died about 4 years ago as its far easier to use the front USB port with a thumb drive,makes getting samples in and out a breeze,and also no drive to die on me,did think about upgrading to an SSD but USB thumb drives are far more convenient and easier,never really used the aksys software as I know the workings of the MPC4K really well so can get around easily without the aid of aksys.

Its one of those pieces of gear that if you get on with it,makes you feel warm and fluffy inside,think it was way ahead of its time,becoming something of a collecters piece,To me the sample engine really cracks using drum sounds,has a certain sound to it,some great modulation options under the hood,secondhandprices have rocketed of late,I think more people are finally realising what a beast it is.
Old 21st February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by flextone View Post
How would you compare the 4000 and the S6K in terms of sound? I find my 6K much more pleasing then the mpc1000 which I mainly use to sequence it. Was always tempted by the 4000.
I have no 1st hand experience with a 4k but I have a 1000 and had a 2500. IMO the S6K sounded better than the 2 MPCs. Those 2 MPCs have a colored and kinda compressed quality plus harshness in the highs which the S6K doesn't have. The S6K much more neutral sounding to me.
I'll wager that the 4K sounds better than both of those MPCs and possibly the S6K too. It has the Z series sampler engine which I'm told sounds excellent.
Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear

I would wager the 6K sounds better actually. Last Akai product to have that Akai oomph I believe. Might be wrong... will get a 4000 if I find a good deal. The new mpcs annoy the hell out of me.

Thanks
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Maniac

I’ve owned pretty much all the MPCs (minus the 5000 & 500) as well as every generation of Akai rack samplers. The differences between the 6/5k and the Z/4k are very negligible. Obviously the the Z/4k does 24 bit samples, but converter wise I’d be hard pressed to tell the difference. There are some major differences in functionality, like voice count, modulation, etc. Sound-wise these machines are pretty “flat”, and not in a bad way. They don’t color the sound source like an Ensoniq or E-MU sampler does. Now, older Akai units mos definitely have a “sound”, but thats a whole nother thread.
Old 21st February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
The 4000 had a real Z series sampler inside it, as opposed to the basic stripped down S series engine it used previously.
Old 21st February 2020
I owned one for a while, the thing is enormous. Got a good deal on one from someone I knew.

Ultimately it died and wouldn't reboot (stuck in the bootloader), while I was working overseas. Talked to a shop that worked on them and the tech around 10,000 miles away told me I was SOL. I ended up dumping it.

The 5K was a downer so I bought a Jomox 999, the MPC line has been off my radar since as I stopped using samples around then. The 999 has been off for a while too, lately I have been doing my own quirky drum patching.
Old 22nd February 2020
Lives for gear

I recommend any new owners or even old heads
wanting to go deeper check out Soundsforsamplers 3 hour
long mpc 4000 tutorial.
https://www.akaimpc.com/mpc4000video.html

Im in no way affiliated with them but I did buy that DVD.

Old 22nd February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10tonsplash View Post
I had a paint job done. I wouldn't say he surpassed Forat. The quality is ok with bad spots. He even broke the F buttons at the top. The only thing Forat didn't want to touch was the screen.
Care to share some pics?
Old 22nd February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Care to share some pics?
Im in another country, my music equipment is elsewhere.

When I get back, I need to replace a part. Pay me and ill take whatever pictures you want.
Old 22nd February 2020
Lives for gear

Uh huh
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search