The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MPC 4000 Fanatics Club.
Old 23rd February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
I think alot of people are over exaggerating all the "bugs", and it seems to be further perpetuated by folks that don't even own them as well spreading it around. Mine is rock solid, I use it for HOURS every single day, it might be missing some features compared to the 4000, but it gets the job done just fine as long as you aren't one of those folks expecting a magic button to write hits for you. The 4000 is nowhere near bug free itself. The OS was never even finished before Akai went under.

The 4K does have its bugs,there are things Akai could have addressed but as with everything,it has a lifespan/Roadmap,however those bugs in the 4k don't cripple it or hinder it,in 18 years of owning it,I could count on one hand the amount of times mine has locked up due to a bug,infact I doubt I could even recreate whatever button pushes or operations i did that caused it to lock up,because they are so few,I never looked at the 5k as the screen size put me off,and didnt really feel like it was worth the move over to it.

This is why I have held back into jumping into the X as well,because one of the things that makes the 4K so great is it's Multitimbral Midi capabilities,that most owners of the X are pissed about and Akai are yet to include it to the X,hence why I've decided to wait ot see how far akai go with the OS on the X

The 4K operates very much like a multitimbral synth inside the Multis,the basic Level of currency in the 4k is the Sample,You can then assign samples into a Program(either a Keygroup or Drum Program)and have the usual filter/amp/EGs and modulation of sounds.

You then have Multis which consist of up to 32 single Programs,(Basically a shell for your programs)each with its own Midi channel/Panning/Efx Sends Keyspan etc and you can also assign them to the same midi channel and have splits/Layers etc,if you like so you can work with them very much like Say Korg's Combi type patches,Your then able to either access them from the internal sequencer or address then Multitimbrally via Midi

The 4K can have 128 Multi setups inside its memory at once,so essentially the 4K can hold 4096 single programs but obviously you wouldnt be able to have 4096 seperate sounds as this would will depend on the Sample size,although 512Mb can go along way with creative sampling but you can soon run out of memory with large sample sets,and who would want to have access to all of 4096 sounds at once anyway,but still it makes the 4k a very powerful sample/Synthesis engine,which is overlooked because its an older machine
Old 23rd February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeq View Post
There were os upgrades done after this that addressed most of not all of the issues.

Inclusive the lack of synthesizer sound preview?
Old 23rd February 2020
Lives for gear

I installed the non-encryption version of the Addonics Jupiter drive in my 4000. The removable drive caddy has a USB 2 adapter cable for file transfer with a computer. It fit right where the original hard drive was, just had to remove the blank plate.

Old 24th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dieppe View Post
The 4K does have its bugs,there are things Akai could have addressed but as with everything,it has a lifespan/Roadmap,however those bugs in the 4k don't cripple it or hinder it,in 18 years of owning it,I could count on one hand the amount of times mine has locked up due to a bug,infact I doubt I could even recreate whatever button pushes or operations i did that caused it to lock up,because they are so few,I never looked at the 5k as the screen size put me off,and didnt really feel like it was worth the move over to it.

This is why I have held back into jumping into the X as well,because one of the things that makes the 4K so great is it's Multitimbral Midi capabilities,that most owners of the X are pissed about and Akai are yet to include it to the X,hence why I've decided to wait ot see how far akai go with the OS on the X

The 4K operates very much like a multitimbral synth inside the Multis,the basic Level of currency in the 4k is the Sample,You can then assign samples into a Program(either a Keygroup or Drum Program)and have the usual filter/amp/EGs and modulation of sounds.

You then have Multis which consist of up to 32 single Programs,(Basically a shell for your programs)each with its own Midi channel/Panning/Efx Sends Keyspan etc and you can also assign them to the same midi channel and have splits/Layers etc,if you like so you can work with them very much like Say Korg's Combi type patches,Your then able to either access them from the internal sequencer or address then Multitimbrally via Midi

The 4K can have 128 Multi setups inside its memory at once,so essentially the 4K can hold 4096 single programs but obviously you wouldnt be able to have 4096 seperate sounds as this would will depend on the Sample size,although 512Mb can go along way with creative sampling but you can soon run out of memory with large sample sets,and who would want to have access to all of 4096 sounds at once anyway,but still it makes the 4k a very powerful sample/Synthesis engine,which is overlooked because its an older machine
Yeah I feel pretty much the same way about the Live. Its got its shortcomings sure, but for what they were packing into ALL of the MPCs you know there was gonna be a tradeoff somewhere. Whatever bugs it has don't stop me from getting things done day to day so Im good. I could care less about multi-midi input or disk streaming because I don't need it now, so its just gonna be a nice bonus later if it comes.

For real though, god damn the 4000 was the **** hah. I knew it had a Z sampler in it but it has the Multis on top of single keygroups and drum programs?? The MPC is already pretty much a sampler in multimode to begin with. You can do clusters within the tracks too?? Man, Im still getting one when I find a deal for the right price. I have no idea what Im going to do with it, but Im pretty sure I need one anyways. At some point my Mpc Live will die, Im pretty sure the screen is going to be the reason these things don't last like the old ones do, so Ill have the real deal ready to go when it does. Who knows it may replace it if I notice a big difference with the MIDI timing. Im not syncing anything to the MPC, it just plays notes over midi, but when its time to multitrack, I sync my DAW to the MPC and record the tracks in passes until I have them all. Its pretty solid with Reaper, but Logic for some reason has the biggest problem syncing with it.
Old 24th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
I kinda like the vibe of this one...
Theres a 3000 on the LA Craigslist right now with the same finish heh. Cool wood panels too.
Old 24th February 2020
Lives for gear

Talking about Akai love

Old 24th February 2020
Lives for gear

Anyone in here who have replace the fan in the 4000?

/C
Old 24th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLofgren View Post
Anyone in here who have replace the fan in the 4000?

/C
Never felt the need to replace mine after the SSD install it was quite enough for me.

This one works in the 4K..
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A6x.../dp/B009NQMESS
Old 24th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dieppe View Post

I agree. The bugs I've experienced with the 4000 are minimal at best. I've only encountered one reproducible bug in the 4000 and that is when I tried to copy a Multi (I think that's what I did. It's been a while) and the machine crashed. That's no big deal and it can be worked around. Otherwise, the 4000 is solid and very reliable.

Regarding the MPC X and MIDI multitimbrality, are you saying the MPC X is unable to sequence other midi gear simultaneously using multiple channels of midi? Or are you simply saying the MPC X itself can't be used as a multitimbral midi sound module? If the X can't be used as a sound module, that's one thing. But if the X is unable to sequence other midi gear using multiple midi ports and channels simultaneously, that's a SERIOUSLY drawback. EVERY hardware MPC before it can do that!!!!

Last edited by kvmoore; 24th February 2020 at 06:42 PM..
Old 24th February 2020
This thread is doing nothing to quell my GAS for a 4000. Currently I use a 2500 as the brain of my hardware setup and that works well for the most part. I just wish I had a good way of chromatic sample playback, 16 levels doesn’t cut it for me.
Old 24th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Never felt the need to replace mine after the SSD install it was quite enough for me.

This one works in the 4K..
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A6x.../dp/B009NQMESS
Thanks! I'm pretty a--l about fans so it has to go
Anyone in here changed their fan? And if so - what was the improvement?

/Carl
Old 24th February 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLofgren View Post
Thanks! I'm pretty a--l about fans so it has to go
Anyone in here changed their fan? And if so - what was the improvement?

/Carl

Yes. Between installing an ssd and replacing the fan, the machine is nearly silent. The noctua ones are great. Just be aware that noctua makes versions with more "features" like fan speed, and will have more wires than are needed for the mpc. If I remember correctly, the mpc 4000's fan only uses two wires. I had to splice onto the old connector, because the included one didn't fit.
Old 25th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
Regarding the MPC X and MIDI multitimbrality, are you saying the MPC X is unable to sequence other midi gear simultaneously using multiple channels of midi? Or are you simply saying the MPC X itself can't be used as a multitimbral midi sound module? If the X can't be used as a sound module, that's one thing. But if the X is unable to sequence other midi gear using multiple midi ports and channels simultaneously, that's a SERIOUSLY drawback. EVERY hardware MPC before it can do that!!!!
The X/Live/One sequence stuff beautifully, its just MIDI input people are griping about. Its all Omni mode, it works like Logic Pro does. All incoming MIDI goes to whatever track is selected regardless of channel/port.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
The X/Live/One sequence stuff beautifully, its just MIDI input people are griping about. Its all Omni mode, it works like Logic Pro does. All incoming MIDI goes to whatever track is selected regardless of channel/port.
Oh, I see. Yeah, that's similar to my MPC 1000 and MPC 2500. However, those can also be set to simultaneously send incoming midi from midi input 2 to a separate channel from what midi input 1 is sending out as well. I guess that's the capability the newer MPCs lack. Thanks for clearing that up.

That limitation would not stop me from buying a MPC X. However, missing features like the lack of a pitch envelope in the sampler engine would. It's a feature I highly depend on to shape/synthesize my 808 and sub bassdrum samples. Also I've read reports (from people that own or use these new MPCs with midi keyboards) that they don't properly respond to or correctly playback recorded midi pitch bend messages to midi modules. Is this true? If so, that sounds like a software issue.

It would be nice if the X/Live/One had the 4000's full blown sampler engine, including the modulation matrix. Afterall, it is suppose to be the new generation flagship successor (in regards to the X). If Akai won't include the full mod matrix of the MPC 4000 and Z series samplers (and I highly doubt they will), they should at least include a pitch envelope, like on the JJ OS MPC1000/2500. That would be awesome!!!!!

Until a full sampler engine with a mod matrix is added to the X, the MPC 4000 is STILL the flagship. NO other MPC to date has surpassed it in that respect.

Last edited by kvmoore; 25th February 2020 at 06:04 AM..
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Oh, that they don't correctly playback recorded midi pitch bend messages to midi modules. Is this true? If so, that sounds like a software issue.
I would hazard a guess and say the reason they experience them not playing back properly is because they've recorded pitch bend messages with Quantize on....

I replied to a thread some years ago from a guy in the MPC4k forums about his glissandos were stepped and not realistic,and he blamed the machine,said it must be a bug or poor designed software,said he was ditching it because it couldn't record glissandos properly without stepping..

When I suggested he try turning off the timing correction for that Track whilst recording glissandos he gave me a whole load of abuse that I was talking out of my ass as this was what made the MPCs swing and if he turned it off it would ruin his beats!!!!guess he never realised that Timing correction works on all Midi messages and not just for quantising the Notes!!!!

Sometimes the glaring obvious isn't so obvious to some people!and its just easier to blame the machine.
Old 25th February 2020
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH damn I never thought of that!! Pitch bend records and plays back fine. Ive done it both with the MPC itself and my Bass Stations pitch wheel. Ive complained before about it being stepped, but it never occurred to me the quantization would affect it. Im gonna have to go try it again now and see if that makes it smooth! Ive used the Qlinks to mess with effects sends while recording (sending a snare to a 'dub' delay) and those always came out as they should. You can see all my crazy knob movements with those, but for some reason my pitch bends stepped down.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH damn I never thought of that!! Pitch bend records and plays back fine. Ive done it both with the MPC itself and my Bass Stations pitch wheel. Ive complained before about it being stepped, but it never occurred to me the quantization would affect it. Im gonna have to go try it again now and see if that makes it smooth! Ive used the Qlinks to mess with effects sends while recording (sending a snare to a 'dub' delay) and those always came out as they should. You can see all my crazy knob movements with those, but for some reason my pitch bends stepped down.
The pitch bend problems I've read about are regarding the newer MPCs, such as the X and Live, not the MPC4000. My 4000, 2500, and 1000 all work flawlessly with pitch bend. Are you using a X or Live?

Turning off quantization sounds like a great idea to try out. Please let us know how well pitch bend records and plays back with the time correction off, especially if you are using the X, Live, or One. I would be very interested in knowing what you find out!!!

Thanks.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

There is also a difference between old Akai and “Nukai”. I feel the knowledge of the old Akai sampling engines and platforms might have left with the transition to Nukai?
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfish View Post
Yes. Between installing an ssd and replacing the fan, the machine is nearly silent. The noctua ones are great. Just be aware that noctua makes versions with more "features" like fan speed, and will have more wires than are needed for the mpc. If I remember correctly, the mpc 4000's fan only uses two wires. I had to splice onto the old connector, because the included one didn't fit.
Thanks for the advice!

/C
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear
Does anyone have experience replacing their hard drive on the 4000 with an sd card? I am fairly sure that there are IDE to SD adapters for 40 pin but I just got an MPC 4000 back in my hands yesterday and it has no HDD, and I was thinking that an SD card might be a good compromise.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Addict

yep SSD & CF card installed, fan replaced - i think there's not much difference (interface wise) in CF or SD card

all intell here : https://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic...t=150#p1738931
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
There is also a difference between old Akai and “Nukai”. I feel the knowledge of the old Akai sampling engines and platforms might have left with the transition to Nukai?
Yes you could be right.

That and the 4k came out just when software samplers were becoming popular, plus a lot of people didn't get the complexity of the unit.
Old 26th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
Along with some build quality IMO. Having taken apart and repaired or added o/p boards/memory/etc... many of each the old AKAI pre-Numark built machines seem a lot sturdier although not including 5000 or newer as never dealt with any of those. I had a friend who used to drop round his MPC 1000 like every 6 months for a button or switch repair whereas my 2000XL purchased in 1999 with operating system 1.0 has never needed a repair.
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes you could be right.

That and the 4k came out just when software samplers were becoming popular, plus a lot of people didn't get the complexity of the unit.
Yes end of an era. I came from a 3000xl so the 4K seems fairly easy to grasp, although it does so much it can be quite complicated. I can understand new Akai wanting to simplify some aspects but cutting out some of the core features is crazy.
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
It would be nice if the X/Live/One had the 4000's full blown sampler engine, including the modulation matrix. Afterall, it is suppose to be the new generation flagship successor (in regards to the X). If Akai won't include the full mod matrix of the MPC 4000 and Z series samplers (and I highly doubt they will), they should at least include a pitch envelope, like on the JJ OS MPC1000/2500. That would be awesome!!!!!

Until a full sampler engine with a mod matrix is added to the X, the MPC 4000 is STILL the flagship. NO other MPC to date has surpassed it in that respect.
My thoughts exactly. Imagine the MPC One with the capability of a 4K - I’d be in the local dealer quicker than a rat up a drainpipe
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfantastic View Post
Along with some build quality IMO. Having taken apart and repaired or added o/p boards/memory/etc... many of each the old AKAI pre-Numark built machines seem a lot sturdier although not including 5000 or newer as never dealt with any of those. I had a friend who used to drop round his MPC 1000 like every 6 months for a button or switch repair whereas my 2000XL purchased in 1999 with operating system 1.0 has never needed a repair.
I’ve got an S950 - they don’t make them like that anymore! if my studio was getting burgled I could use it as a weapon on the guy, then take it outside and trash his car with it, then hook it back up and carry on working like nothing happened.
Old 26th February 2020
@ tedmanzie yes quite! I have an S900 also - built like a tank!
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear
I installed windows xp on virtualbox and shared my project directory with the VM so now I can drag midi files directly to the mpc through ak sys.

Pretty game changing for me, now I have to buy more spare mpc4000s. It's a real shame they dont make them anymore, it's not great to rely on discontinued gear for important stuff.
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmanzie View Post
Yes end of an era. I came from a 3000xl so the 4K seems fairly easy to grasp, although it does so much it can be quite complicated. I can understand new Akai wanting to simplify some aspects but cutting out some of the core features is crazy.
I think they didn’t cut our core features on purpose, but redesigned and developed totally from scratch. And thus a lot of “old knowledge” was not re-implemented due to shifting priorities, different hardware or maybe even plain ignorance
Old 26th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfantastic View Post
Apparently the blue 4000,2000XL, and the Z samplers with the blue faceplates were pretty shoddy. Nukai had a bunch of leftover parts so they decided to throw them together and make some quick cash. A couple of folks I know that work on them say its always the blue ones that show up for regular repairs.

I was under the impression that the documentation on the 4k never changed hands to Nukai?? I vaguely remember reading something about the whole thing, and I could've sworn all that stuff was "lost" yet they had a bunch of the materials for some of the older samplers and the 2000 which is where they had to start when they designed their line of MPCs.

Was the MPC1000 a Nukai thing or was it one of the last from the real Akai?? That whole time period is so confusing heh.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search