The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MPC 4000 Fanatics Club.
Old 22nd February 2020
  #31
Lives for gear
I will also take pictures of my gear, or at least send you google images of gear, for money.
Old 22nd February 2020
  #32
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
I have no 1st hand experience with a 4k but I have a 1000 and had a 2500. IMO the S6K sounded better than the 2 MPCs. Those 2 MPCs have a colored and kinda compressed quality plus harshness in the highs which the S6K doesn't have.
On the 1000 I had, by default every project had the global "mastering" EQ and limiter enabled. Sounded quite differently when I switched those off. Does the harshness persist when you are using the SPDIF outs or is it really an engine thing instead of an output stage thing?

What amazes me a bit is that you can still trick out an MPC1000 completely if you wanted to. Really solid aftermarket support.
Old 22nd February 2020
  #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
On the 1000 I had, by default every project had the global "mastering" EQ and limiter enabled. Sounded quite differently when I switched those off. Does the harshness persist when you are using the SPDIF outs or is it really an engine thing instead of an output stage thing?

What amazes me a bit is that you can still trick out an MPC1000 completely if you wanted to. Really solid aftermarket support.
I disabled the "mastering" effects too. Never tried the digital output but samples recorded on it that were subsequently transferred to the S6K remained harsh sounding when played back in that machine. It could very well be the sampling inputs on the 1000. I'm a fan of overdriving the heck out of them because they're quite gritty. Even when not trying to hit them hard they can get saturation on louder peaks. They don't seem to have much headroom compared to the S6K which easily takes hot signals in stride.

One thing I rarely do is send S6K recorded samples to the MPC. I should try that and pay attention for differences.

I need to completely overhaul my MPC. It's no longer the sequencer in my studio but I still keep it around for a more portable extra sampler.
Old 22nd February 2020
  #34
Lives for gear
 
IncarnateX's Avatar
 

Well, it seems nice and well featured, but ain’t the MPC 5000 a little superior? It has a 3 OSC virtual synth onboard. Are there things the 4000 can do better than 5000?

Quote:
64-voice drum/phrase sampler with 64MB memory built-in. Expandable up to 192MB RAM. Three-oscillator virtual analog synth engine with built-in arpeggiatorOver 300 Virtual Analog synth presets includedEight tracks of Direct-to-Hard Disk recordingOver 40 all new effects available within a modular 4-bus effects processorMaster compressor and equalizer960 ppq resolutionBuilt-in hard disk driveOptional CD-R/DVD driveUSB 2.0 port for computer connectivityCF Type-2 card slot (up to 2GB)Chop-Shop 2.0 - slices a stereo loop into individual samples with automatic pad assignmentPatched Phrases - creates multiple splits in looped samples to ensure proper tempo sync without changing pitchContinuous Sample Track - ensures samples play in perfect sync no matter where you start the beat in a loop12 Q-link controllers for internal automation, external MIDI control and quick parameter editing240 x 128 hinged backlit LCD10 built-in analog outputs, plus 8 ADAT-optical outputs and stereo S/PDIF IOPowerful new multimode filterTwo MIDI inputs and Four MIDI outputsTurntable phono inputs with RIAA pre-ampXLR / 1/4" combo jacks with selectable mic/line levelsSample library provided by Loopmasters.com
Thomann has promised that I will get my first MPC ever, the One, at the end of marts. That’s why I lurke around MPC threads for the time being. Completely new territory.
Old 22nd February 2020
  #35
Question: Is the S5K, S6K sample compatibility of the MPC 4K including programs? Or just samples alone?

And another question: is this true?
From Akai Pro site:
Quote:
Of course, as all MPCs, the MPC4000 Plus provides both pattern-based and linear sequencing, with the added capability to play simultaneously a pattern-based song and a linear sequence. Improved sequencing functions include resolution up to 960ppq, and a sequence data clipboard allows you to create a phrase library.
Can really do linear tracks along side patterns? Or is this just the old copy to sequence function?
Old 22nd February 2020
  #36
As I remember the 5K, it was one of the first new Akai after Numark took over and it received a lot of bad reviews that I read from 4K fans. Some called it a 3999, if that. Even back then the VA was unimpressive.
Old 22nd February 2020
  #37
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IncarnateX View Post
Are there things the 4000 can do better than 5000?
The MIDI timing on the 4000 sequencer is one of the tightest ever developed, according to litmus tests done by innerclocksystems.com

Sync Master

> Audio Out Jitter - 1 sample (0.02ms)
> MIDI TX Jitter - 3 samples (0.06ms)

Sync Slave - MIDI Clock

> Audio Out Jitter - 29 samples (0.60ms)
> MIDI TX Jitter - 29 samples (0.60ms)
> Start Latency - TBC


I think the Cirklon is the only sequencer with better timing, but not totally sure.

Other than that, the 4000 samples at 96/24 max while the 5000 maxes out at 44/16, so there's that. The 5000 has patch-phrase, which I don't think the 4K has but the sampler is more complex on the 4K overall.
Old 22nd February 2020
  #38
The 5000 is actually a step backwards from the 4000. That "3 Osc synth" is just an Alesis Ion built into it. The sampler on the 4000 was the big game changer. Every other MPC has a stripped down very minimal version of the current S series samplers that were out at the time. The 4000 had a full blown Z4/Z8 engine in it. It was a REAL sampler finally. Modulation matrix, multiple LFOs and envelopes and destinations, etc.. Its still kinda light years ahead of even the Mpc Live. I love my Live, but when it comes to sampling, my 2019 Mpc Live cant even touch my 1999 EMU E5000. All the Emu needs is the easy as hell time stretching the MPC has and it would be perfect. Instead you gotta do it in your head haha.

If you look at the specs on paper, the MPC5000 and the MPC X/Live are almost identical feature wise. We just have a touch screen and better storage options now. I still think they just ported the 5000 code to the new platform and did a little updating for the screen.
Old 22nd February 2020
  #39
Lives for gear
 
shreddoggie's Avatar
There are 3 types of sound and 2 types of clock on MPCs:
Colored, good and bad.
Solid and wobbly.
MPC 4000 is good and solid.
Peace and love to all MPC 4000 users, its the read deal.
Old 22nd February 2020
  #40
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
Hi guys— if you ditch the internal drive and install an ssd, can the fan safely be disconnected?

Come to think of it, the original HD for the blue 4K was 80GB.

With USB drives of 250GB, why even have an internal hard drive? It's not even needed. The OS is not on the drive, right? Anyone flying internal drive-less?
It’s the processors that get hot, not the drive, so I think you need the fan?
OS is on the drive, well I presume it’s on the drive as it’s updatable, not a chip.
Old 22nd February 2020
  #41
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
The 5000 is actually a step backwards from the 4000. That "3 Osc synth" is just an Alesis Ion built into it. The sampler on the 4000 was the big game changer. Every other MPC has a stripped down very minimal version of the current S series samplers that were out at the time. The 4000 had a full blown Z4/Z8 engine in it. It was a REAL sampler finally. Modulation matrix, multiple LFOs and envelopes and destinations, etc.. Its still kinda light years ahead of even the Mpc Live. I love my Live, but when it comes to sampling, my 2019 Mpc Live cant even touch my 1999 EMU E5000. All the Emu needs is the easy as hell time stretching the MPC has and it would be perfect. Instead you gotta do it in your head haha.

If you look at the specs on paper, the MPC5000 and the MPC X/Live are almost identical feature wise. We just have a touch screen and better storage options now. I still think they just ported the 5000 code to the new platform and did a little updating for the screen.
It’s crazy the Live isn’t a fully featured sampler. And as there are no more rack samplers either it’s like much of that amazing Akai history has just been ditched.
Old 22nd February 2020
  #42
Lives for gear
 
IncarnateX's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
The 5000 is actually a step backwards from the 4000. That "3 Osc synth" is just an Alesis Ion built into it.
“Just”? I have an Akai Miniak and is pretty impressed with the Ion engine. Got formant filters among MG and JP emulations, can turn its OSCs into FM operators and can really deliver a fat bass being 3 OSC’ed. However, I get the point with an extensive sampler, after all, that is the core of a MPC.
Old 22nd February 2020
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Groundhog Day's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncarnateX View Post
Well, it seems nice and well featured, but ain’t the MPC 5000 a little superior?
Negative.
Old 23rd February 2020
  #44
Gear Maniac
 
ModMatrix's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog Day View Post
Negative.
Definitely negative. This rant about the 5000 at the time by Just Blaze was on point

https://www.xxlmag.com/news/bloggers...000-a-new-one/
Old 23rd February 2020
  #45
Lives for gear
 
NEXUS-6's Avatar
 

Sometimes I have these fantasies of becoming a hard-core minimalist. All I would need is an MPC 4000 and a computer and DONE.

You can do so much with those two things. At times I wonder why I have all this gear around me. I was sampling my Sunsyn the other day and it was almost dead on.
Life would be much simpler.
Old 23rd February 2020
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Groundhog Day's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Sometimes I have these fantasies of becoming a hard-core minimalist. All I would need is an MPC 4000 and a computer and DONE.

You can do so much with those two things. At times I wonder why I have all this gear around me. I was sampling my Sunsyn the other day and it was almost dead on.
Life would be much simpler.
Old 23rd February 2020
  #47
Lives for gear
 
NEXUS-6's Avatar
 

I kinda like the vibe of this one...
Old 23rd February 2020
  #48
Lives for gear
 
Groundhog Day's Avatar
 

I wanted to copy this for a while.

MPC 4000 Fanatics Club.-liquid-metal-1.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
MPC 4000 Fanatics Club.-liquid-metal-1.jpg  
Old 23rd February 2020
  #49
Lives for gear
 
Bignatius's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
I kinda like the vibe of this one...
It looks like someone dusted for fingerprints and didn't clean up afterwards, or like it was a lovely sand mandala before someone sneezed.
Old 23rd February 2020
  #50
Gear Maniac
 
Uncle Dieppe's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
Hi guys— if you ditch the internal drive and install an ssd, can the fan safely be disconnected?

Come to think of it, the original HD for the blue 4K was 80GB.

With USB drives of 250GB, why even have an internal hard drive? It's not even needed. The OS is not on the drive, right? Anyone flying internal drive-less?

Yes me,I use several 128Gb USB thumb drives,I stopped using internal Hard drives a few years ago after my last one died,USB thumb drives are cheaper and quicker to use for transfering samples/Files to and from the unit and no waiting ages for the drive to be formatted either!!!


OS can't be on the Drive,because I dont have a drive fitted and mine still boots haven't used an internal Hard drive for years.
Old 23rd February 2020
  #51
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dieppe View Post
Yes me,I use several 128Gb USB thumb drives,I stopped using internal Hard drives a few years ago after my last one died,USB thumb drives are cheaper and quicker to use for transfering samples/Files to and from the unit.
USB1 speed is painfully slow- an internal SSD makes more sense. You could transfer samples to your SSD externally, -then install it with all your main sample collections already on it.
Old 23rd February 2020
  #52
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dieppe View Post
OS can't be on the Drive,because I dont have a drive fitted and mine still boots haven't used an internal Hard drive for years.
Oh right, that’s interesting thanks
Old 23rd February 2020
  #53
Gear Maniac
 
Uncle Dieppe's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
USB1 speed is painfully slow- an internal SSD makes more sense.
Unless your using it live and it loses power and you've got to reload everything,I don't really worry about the speed of the drive or usb transfer speeds,Does saving a few seconds make that much difference to your usage in the studio??

Unless I'm loading large sample libraries/Multi/Program files into the MPC it literally takes a second to load things in from a USB drive and the same to Slot in the Thumb drive to my Mac and copy and backup things.

I have a few Thumb drives dependant on the project type i'm working on having to back up an internal hard drive all the time was a pain in the ass,infact it got to the point where i would remove the internal IDE drive and hook it up to USB convertor that allowed my Mac to read it as an external drive and then copy over the data to back it up,which required a further Hard drive to use as a backup of a backup it got too crazy.

Having a USB thumb drive allows me to keep the data on those and then simply move over the recent files to my mac as a spare everyday,this way I know I always have a fresh copy backup,having an internal drive your reliant on it not giving up the ghost and less likley to keep backups unless you back it up all the time,which isn't always easy when your using the drive to full capacity.Most people only worry about backing it up when its too late.

a Thumb drive is more convenient for me and just better for file transfers between MPC and computer and far easier to have a backup to store away for safe keeping and as such have yet to have a USB Thumb drive fail on me!I've used at least 7 Hard drives in the 18 year period of owning it.

I can't be bothered with Internal drives,irrespective of it being a More reliable SSD,I dont use the Aksys software either so moving files between that and MPC via the rear USB port.... does that not require a legacy computer to run Aksys(unless anyones managed to run it successfuly on a latest Mac OS?)Thats another reason why i chose to use a Thumb drive,plug in it the Mac Drag and transfer your files onto it plug it onto the MPC and load it....job done!
Old 23rd February 2020
  #54
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dieppe View Post
Unless your using it live and it loses power and you've got to reload everything,I don't really worry about the speed of the drive or usb transfer speeds,Does saving a few seconds make that much difference to your usage in the studio??

Unless I'm loading large sample libraries/Multi/Program files into the MPC it literally takes a second to load things in from a USB drive and the same to Slot in the Thumb drive to my Mac and copy and backup things.

I have a few Thumb drives dependant on the project type i'm working on having to back up an internal hard drive all the time was a pain in the ass,infact it got to the point where i would remove the internal IDE drive and hook it up to USB convertor that allowed my Mac to read it as an external drive and then copy over the data to back it up,which required a further Hard drive to use as a backup of a backup it got too crazy.

Having a USB thumb drive allows me to keep the data on those and then simply move over the recent files to my mac as a spare everyday,this way I know I always have a fresh copy backup,having an internal drive your reliant on it not giving up the ghost and less likley to keep backups unless you back it up all the time,which isn't always easy when your using the drive to full capacity.Most people only worry about backing it up when its too late.

a Thumb drive is more convenient for me and just better for file transfers between MPC and computer and far easier to have a backup to store away for safe keeping and as such have yet to have a USB Thumb drive fail on me!I've used at least 7 Hard drives in the 18 year period of owning it.

I can't be bothered with Internal drives,irrespective of it being a More reliable SSD,I dont use the Aksys software either so moving files between that and MPC via the rear USB port.... does that not require a legacy computer to run Aksys(unless anyones managed to run it successfuly on a latest Mac OS?)Thats another reason why i chose to use a Thumb drive,plug in it the Mac Drag and transfer your files onto it plug it onto the MPC and load it....job done!

Damn...7 drives? , Either you bought the cheapest hard drives available, or you have really really bad luck. If the USB sticks are enough for you, have at it
Old 23rd February 2020
  #55
Gear Maniac
 
Uncle Dieppe's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
Damn...7 drives? , Either you bought the cheapest hard drives available, or you have really really bad luck. If the USB sticks are enough for you, have at it

I've owned the MPC4k since 2002 and it's been used everyday pretty much,the drives have always been in constant use daily,so plenty of boot up cycles plus a few probably have been cheaper models and not so long lasting,Although I have never lost any valuable data as I always back up everything new daily.

I think an SSD would have been more reliable(My 2013 Macbook pro is still going strong with its original SSD and never any issues)but SSDs werent really a cost effective option many years ago,Still even now though I just prefer the Thumb drive option,I'm just done with using Hard drives for the 4000,even if I decided to move to the X think I would stick with them for storage unless they made Audio Streaming from the Hard drive an option.
Old 23rd February 2020
  #56
Lives for gear
 
NEXUS-6's Avatar
 

I use ak Sys on an old 17’ MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard. I paid 200 bucks for it with an internal SSD, you can get them cheaper.
It really opens up the machine I recommend trying it to anyone that wants to go to the next level.
Cool thing about the 4K is that you don’t have to dive deep if you’re not ready for that but you can grow along with the machine in time.

Check out dudes video..

Old 23rd February 2020
  #57
Lives for gear
 
IncarnateX's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModMatrix View Post
Definitely negative. This rant about the 5000 at the time by Just Blaze was on point

https://www.xxlmag.com/news/bloggers...000-a-new-one/
Holy F. This surely makes the synth go down the drain. Glad I never got one now, though I did peak on it at release:


Quote:
Akai has gone and given us hundreds upon hundreds of synth patches, which is great.

However since they are treated the same as samples, you cant access all of these sounds at once to find the ones that fit your track.

They need to be loaded from the hard drive.. one…by…one..

Get this: You can’t even PREVIEW them before you load them

So now.. you have to go to the “Basses” folder for example, then sit there, load a bass, play it, decide whether or not you like it, then if you don’tlike it, go to the program window.. then open ANOTHER window from within that window, and delete it.

Wash, rinse, and repeat, until you find a bass that you like.

Oh wait.. but sometimes you have to delete a synth program 4 times before it actually gets erased from your RAM. And some will not go away, AT ALL, no matter how many times you delete them.
Old 23rd February 2020
  #58
Lives for gear
 

Had mine since 2005. Bought it used on ebay back then but with most upgraded options included. I have the Studio version with the effects board and 8 channel analog output option cards installed. Anyway, it's a beast of a machine. In 2013 my internal harddrive failed (I was fortunate enough to be able to back it up at the last minute before it died). I then went from using a USB external harddrive to just using a 128GB USB flash drive for storage. I also had it set up with an old Windows XP PC running Akasys. It worked great. I sequenced my two midi retrofitted TR808s with it with complex "trap-style" hihat and snare rolls and the midi sequencer timing was rock-solid!!! A few years back, I watched a YouTube video showing KLC from Beats By The Pound in his studio. Sure enough, I was surprised to see him with a setup very similar to mine, a midi - retrofitted TR808 sequenced and triggered by an MPC4000!!!!!

I recently made a big move to a new city and an apartment with much less living space than I had before. As result, my MPC 4000 along with a lot of other gear is in storage at the moment (the 4000 now needs a new LCD screen). I'm currently using a smaller rig with an MPC2500 as the centerpiece. Eventually, I plan to get the 4000 back out and get the screen replaced at some point.

I've played around with the MPC X and Live at Guitar Center and contemplated getting one at some point but there are simply too many missing features on them as well as bugs (that I read about associated with them) that the 4000 does not consist of.

Last edited by kvmoore; 23rd February 2020 at 08:53 PM..
Old 23rd February 2020
  #59
Gear Nut
 

There were os upgrades done after this that addressed most of not all of the issues.




Quote:
Originally Posted by ModMatrix View Post
Definitely negative. This rant about the 5000 at the time by Just Blaze was on point

https://www.xxlmag.com/news/bloggers...000-a-new-one/
Old 23rd February 2020
  #60
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
I've played around with the MPC X and Live at Guitar Center and contemplated getting one at some point but there are simply too many missing features on them as well as bugs (that I read about associated with them) that the 4000 do not consist of.
I think alot of people are over exaggerating all the "bugs", and it seems to be further perpetuated by folks that don't even own them as well spreading it around. Mine is rock solid, I use it for HOURS every single day, it might be missing some features compared to the 4000, but it gets the job done just fine as long as you aren't one of those folks expecting a magic button to write hits for you. The 4000 is nowhere near bug free itself. The OS was never even finished before Akai went under.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump