The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MPC 4000 Fanatics Club.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
More tomfoolery from my 4k station..
You can power these from the front USB port.
Four jump drives in a non powered hub..
it took MPC Live/X until 2.8 to get to that point
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavejockey View Post
it took MPC Live/X until 2.8 to get to that point
They've been able to mount USB drives since day 1.
Now we can also use class compliant devices with it though..
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
Here is my MPC 4000 when I first bought it for $300. It only had the FX card, no expansions. Couple buttons didn't work. It was filthy. Display was difficult to read due to horizontal lines. You can see I already removed the sides and front bumper to get into it. Ugly white and purple.

Time to black it out. I even sanded the purple off the back of the acrylic overlay over the display and blacked that out too.

Blacked it out. Fat pads from MPCstuff. New knobs. Spray painted some buttons. analog output expansion. internal hard drive expanded. Put labels back on with $20 label maker.

My FMR RNC fits perfect over the power button. I use it to compress a couple channels out of the MPC 4000 before running into audio interface for tracking out.

Paint job was just a couple rattle cans from Dollar General. About 3 coats 24 hours in between each coat. It held up good with a few exceptions when I popped the LED protectors back in and the sliders are rubbing against the new paint some.

Overall I've spent less than $600 total adding the analog output expansion, new display, knobs, paint, hard drive, fat pads. I fixed the couple bad button switches by cleaning up the tact switches underneath.

I'm thinking about spray painting the face of that CDR drive.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Awesome job for a rattle can!!
You hardly see anyone paint the screen even Forat won't do it..
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Anyone else obsessing on stuff during this lockdown?
I seem to developing a thing for jump drives..
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sense_A View Post
Here is my MPC 4000 when I first bought it for $300. It only had the FX card, no expansions. Couple buttons didn't work. It was filthy. Display was difficult to read due to horizontal lines. You can see I already removed the sides and front bumper to get into it. Ugly white and purple.

Time to black it out. I even sanded the purple off the back of the acrylic overlay over the display and blacked that out too.

Blacked it out. Fat pads from MPCstuff. New knobs. Spray painted some buttons. analog output expansion. internal hard drive expanded. Put labels back on with $20 label maker.

My FMR RNC fits perfect over the power button. I use it to compress a couple channels out of the MPC 4000 before running into audio interface for tracking out.

Paint job was just a couple rattle cans from Dollar General. About 3 coats 24 hours in between each coat. It held up good with a few exceptions when I popped the LED protectors back in and the sliders are rubbing against the new paint some.

Overall I've spent less than $600 total adding the analog output expansion, new display, knobs, paint, hard drive, fat pads. I fixed the couple bad button switches by cleaning up the tact switches underneath.

I'm thinking about spray painting the face of that CDR drive.
LOVE IT but.. Can I have the EPS16??? :D
Old 3 days ago
Learning the beast up there in the Swiss mountains
Attached Thumbnails
MPC 4000 Fanatics Club.-image_1131_0.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Best thumb drive I’ve found
Attached Thumbnails
MPC 4000 Fanatics Club.-image_6866_0.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noize_organizer View Post
Learning the beast up there in the Swiss mountains
Good luck stick with it! The manual is not that great if you have trouble you can always buy the instructional DVD.

Swiss mountains! I skied the mountains near Geneva when I lived there as a child. I was going straight down the adults hill in the tuck position passing my aunts
ski class so the instructor told my aunt to buy me a helmet!
She got me a red one, you Swiss are so safety conscience..

Anyway back on topic did you replace the screen?
How did it go?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Best thumb drive I’ve found
Apparently I'm collecting them now...
Old 3 days ago
Fun stuff!
I actually live close to Geneva.

The screen works just fine.
I’ll have to replace the pads sensors, though.

Quote:
Good luck stick with it! The manual is not that great if you have trouble you can always buy the instructional DVD.

Swiss mountains! I skied the mountains near Geneva when I lived there as a child. I was going straight down the adults hill in the tuck position passing my aunts
ski class so the instructor told my aunt to buy me a helmet!
She got me a red one, you Swiss are so safety conscience..

Anyway back on topic did you replace the screen?
How did it go?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fun stuff!
I actually live close to Geneva.

The screen works just fine.
I’ll have to replace the pads sensors, though.
That's fairly straightforward, seating the ribbon can be a little tricky.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
LOVE IT but.. Can I have the EPS16??? :D
I just replaced one of the potentiometer slides on that EPS16. It, too, was beat up and cheap when I bought it. Had a few broken keys that I replaced.

Now the disk drive won't read the OS disk and boot. I'm hoping it is just the disk. I have to break out an old PC with windows XP and a floppy drive to use EPSdisk to write a new OS disk.

But I might be installing a gotek floppy emulator into that EPS-16 soon.

I already had 3 ASR-10's but bought the EPS-16 anyways because it has more sample rates to choose from.

I have an ASR-10 completely disassembled trying to figure out how to get the yellowed keys to be white again. I need to make some kind of Retro Bright gel concoction and pull out a UV light. I might buy the key and coil refurb kit.

Lots of projects that interrupt me from actually enjoying the gear and making music.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Just picked this up as a parts machine for cheap.

Now I'm fighting the urge to fix it, problem is that there's more wrong with it than I initially thought.

Wish me luck..
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

So I have copied a load of samples onto a USB pen drive and put it into the front of my Z4.

I feel like I am missing something really obvious. I can't find a way to audition the files from the pen drive to decide what I want to load.

Say I want a tambourine sample, I want to be able to audition say 30 tambourine samples, find the one I want and load that into memory. I have this horrible feeling that the only way to do this isn't to have all 30 tambourine samples loaded into RAM.

If that is the case how on Earth do you know what to load if you have a few Gb of samples on your stick or internal drive? I am not one of these guys with 1000 Gb of samples but I have maybe 5 Gb, mainly of one shots, far more than I could ever remember what they sound like by name.

I am struggling to see a workflow that could work if something has to be loaded into RAM before I can hear it.

Any insight would be welcome as I feel pretty stumped at the moment.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
So I have copied a load of samples onto a USB pen drive and put it into the front of myIf that is the case how on Earth do you know what to load if you have a few Gb of samples on your stick or internal drive? I am not one of these guys with 1000 Gb of samples but I have maybe 5 Gb, mainly of one shots, far more than I could ever remember what they sound like by name.

I'm Not sure of the Z4 functions whilst Viewing files,as I've never used that actual unit,the MPC4000 has an Audition option inside the Load menus on an F Key when you open Audio Files on a drive,so you can preview the sample before loading,surely the Z4 has something similar seeing as its the same Sampler essentially.

Does the Z4 not have this!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dieppe View Post
I'm Not sure of the Z4 functions whilst Viewing files,the MPC4000 has an Audition option on a Function button when you open the Files on a drive,so you can preview the sample before loading,surely the Z4 has something similar seeing as its the same Sampler essentially

Does the Z4 not have this!
I would have thought that if the MPC4000 has it then the Z4 should as you say, they are essentially the same.

There is a play (audition) button which allows you to audition samples that are loaded into the RAM but it doesn't do anything when I select a sample on the flash drive. I had a slow scan through the manual but couldn't find anything.
Old 23 hours ago
Thanks for the thread, spent some time going through it. It’s been a long time since I’ve been inside my 4K, figure it’s time to clean it out. Found a service manual so I found that there is a single IDE port. I also came across an internal port (P14) on the IO board for internal SCSI.

Anyone tried the SD to IDE bridges inside yet? I installed one in my Z8 a few months back and pulled the original drive, worked slick.

One other thing I’m working out is using a internal USB hub so that I could install a full on card reader. Looks possible by hy jacking the usb cable between (P7) and (W250) for the front jack. It could potentially let you expand what all is inside.

Last edited by kazper; 22 hours ago at 09:23 PM..
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would have thought that if the MPC4000 has it then the Z4 should as you say, they are essentially the same.

There is a play (audition) button which allows you to audition samples that are loaded into the RAM but it doesn't do anything when I select a sample on the flash drive. I had a slow scan through the manual but couldn't find anything.
Same sampling engine but the OS is different. One of the reasons the 4k is able to is because a lot of complaints were made to Akai & they implemented it.
I don't think the Z4 Z8 sold that well so less complaints.
It's not the end of the world thought you may have to adjust your workflow it's not that hard really, ether that or sell it on.

Good luck.
BTW I have a couple of Z8's great samplers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazper View Post
Thanks for the thread, spent some time going through it. It’s been a long time since I’ve been inside my 4K, figure it’s time to clean it out. Found a service manual so I found that there is a single IDE port. I also came across an internal port (P14) on the IO board for internal SCSI.

Anyone tried the SD to IDE bridges inside yet? I installed one in my Z8 a few months back and pulled the original drive, worked slick.

One other thing I’m working out is using a internal USB hub so that I could install a full on card reader. Looks possible by hy jacking the usb cable between (P7) and (W250) for the front jack. It could potentially let you expand what all is inside.

Your welcome kasper!

Never seen a SD in one yet but you could do it.
I like the internal SSD & thumb drive combo myself those little SD cards are easy to lose & slightly fragile.
I did do the removable SSD + internal SSD combo in 4k#2 but I cant hot swap the SSD without a system freeze.
Old 11 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Same sampling engine but the OS is different. One of the reasons the 4k is able to is because a lot of complaints were made to Akai & they implemented it.
I don't think the Z4 Z8 sold that well so less complaints.
It's not the end of the world thought you may have to adjust your workflow it's not that hard really, ether that or sell it on.

Good luck.
BTW I have a couple of Z8's great samplers.

Your welcome kasper!

Never seen a SD in one yet but you could do it.
I like the internal SSD & thumb drive combo myself those little SD cards are easy to lose & slightly fragile.
I did do the removable SSD + internal SSD combo in 4k#2 but I cant hot swap the SSD without a system freeze.
No it isn't that much of a deal to be honest. I was just quite surprised as I assume it's the same deal with the supplied internal hard drive. Seems such a ridiculously simple and useful feature not to have implemented.

I've decided I'm going to keep it simple, whittle my one shots down to 400-500, 200 Gb or something, stick them in an Autoload folder on my CF card and be done with it.

I'm trying to keep my productions much simpler, do I really need 200 Agogo samples when I've never used an Agogo in any track I've ever written over the last 25 years At the end of the day I wrote a stack of tracks with my Casio FZ1 in the early 90's with 2Mb of memory and it's so easy to lose sight of that.
Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No it isn't that much of a deal to be honest. I was just quite surprised as I assume it's the same deal with the supplied internal hard drive. Seems such a ridiculously simple and useful feature not to have implemented.

I've decided I'm going to keep it simple, whittle my one shots down to 400-500, 200 Gb or something, stick them in an Autoload folder on my CF card and be done with it.

I'm trying to keep my productions much simpler, do I really need 200 Agogo samples when I've never used an Agogo in any track I've ever written over the last 25 years At the end of the day I wrote a stack of tracks with my Casio FZ1 in the early 90's with 2Mb of memory and it's so easy to lose sight of that.
Yes I agree with on both points. They should have tweaked the OS & added that feature and we have done a lot with a whole lot less than 512MB.

Have you checked out AkSys yet?
Old 2 hours ago
Lives for gear

Checking back in to this awesome thread on the most awesome MPC ever!

I’m wondering about all those 4Ks for sale with lines in the screen. Are people leaving their units on 24/7? I ask bcs I have 2 4Ks. One has had heavy use for many years, but no lines yet. But I turn them off when not in use.
Old 2 hours ago
Lives for gear

IDK but I have heard stories of people leaving them on for days at a time!

Not necessary just save you work & turn off.. People can be weird..
Old 47 minutes ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes I agree with on both points. They should have tweaked the OS & added that feature and we have done a lot with a whole lot less than 512MB.

Have you checked out AkSys yet?
Yes I have Aksys on an old Windows XP PC. It certainly seems to make things easier but I haven't had the time to really dig into it yet.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search