The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
When did Sequential Circuits change the filters in the Prophet VS frm CEM3379 to 3389
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

When did Sequential Circuits change the filters in the Prophet VS frm CEM3379 to 3389

So the Prophet VS has either the CEM3379 or the CEM3389 filters.

Does anyone have experience of the differences in sound etc between the two versions?
Do you know what the serial numbers are when the changes were implemented & why the changes were made?

Also I would like to point out FYI that the Prophet VS & the Prophet 5 (rev 3)do not share the same filters as seems to be generally wrongly stated in magazine articles & many forums & websites.

I have even claimed so in error in the past ffs. ( quoting from others whom I thought knew for sure) apologies for that.

The Prophet 5 rev 3 has CEM3320 filters as does the Pro One & many other desirable synths from the 1980s. (OB8, OBXA, Synthex, Fairlight s2, PPG Wave 2.0 etc)

The Prophet 2000 has CEM3379s .

error in my heading above .(can not edit that).to be precise, It was 'Sequential' , not 'Sequential Circuits' ,in the case of the Prophet VS & also the Prophets 2000, 3000 & 440 if Im not mistaken. I f'ing love the early Prophets, the ones that I know anyway.

Mine (P VS)is serial no. 2400 0675 & has CEM 3389 filters . I just opened it up out of curiosity (& to see if I could fix the broken pitch wheel spring. I couldnt. need a new spring.. no big deal.)

Last edited by Spectralwaves; 5 days ago at 04:35 AM.. Reason: PPG! not Ppg grrrr
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Supply issues? Standing order agreement changes? Who knows?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I know, Im just curious & interested in Prophets & those filters.

I have read of VS users who claim the CEM3389 filters sound 'better' in the VS, than the CEM3379 s ,more refined, yet just as punchy ..but its all irrelevantly subjective. ( & insignificant)

I was listening to demos of the Prophet 2000 recently & before & could have sworn my VS had the same CEM 3379 s as the filter characteristics with high resonance , sweeps & strong envelopes (on the filters )sounded very similar to my Prophet VS, so my conclusion (uneducated) so far is that they are very similar sounding & implemented..( the filters) but I dont know for sure.

Anyway not too exciting but as I went on that journey of 'what filters' in mine, & found out tonight ,I thought it may be of interest to someone.

Last edited by Spectralwaves; 5 days ago at 04:51 AM.. Reason: yes
Old 5 days ago
my bandmate has Prophet VS with 3379, i have VS-rack with 3389.

i can't say i ever noticed a change, they both sound like VS. however, i can't vouch i wouldn't find a slight change if i got them in the same room and played identical patches a/b. perhaps.

ditto on loving prophets: i have Prophet 5 rev2, VS rack and 2002+ rack. and if lucky ill pickup a rev3.3 i have kinda reserved with a seller. but he cannot sell it right now because of reasons. im waiting..

of the old ones only two i never wanted were Pro One (bcs i want polyphony with that sound, and only CEM mono i really like is 101) and Prophet 10 because too big and i can't ship it for unavoidable service in the future.

fwiw Prophet 6 isnt bad, but ultimately does not do it for me. Prophet X even less. but i really like the Prophet 12. maybe one day..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Hi Clusterchord! great ,another Prophet lover & experienced user.

Just as I suspected. ( minor differences) Thankyou

One of the reasons I have been researching this is because Im considering buying a Prophet 2000 ( wanted one since they came out! & since I saw Public Image Ltd. using 3 on stage in 1987 in concert in the UK, & for obvious reasons)

I was thinking last night...naw...I think my VS covers that spectrum of sound very well, I dont 'need' a Prophet 2000!..apart from sampling percussion , drums etc.& general sampling of course, but I have many hardware samplers, but none with CEM or SSM filters..so its been either an Emax 1 , Mirage, DSS1 or Prophet 2000 on my list for ages.

Now Im more interested since an hour or two ago realising that my VS has 3389s & the 2000 has 3379s..

I agree , & no offense intended but Im not that interested in Prophets after the 3000, VS, 440.. everything before that Im very interested in though.

Ive had a 600 & played Pro Ones ( got the clone recently, I wish it had a keyboard!), always wanted a '5 ', & 2000 ( & the 440 & 3000 of course...oh & I forgot the 10...T8 would be ok too. The Prophet 5 though, either or ideally both revs 2 & 3 & the 2000 are the main ones for me though ( that I dont have but always wanted.)

Last edited by Spectralwaves; 5 days ago at 05:25 AM.. Reason: brackets
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
my bandmate has Prophet VS with 3379, i have VS-rack with 3389.

i can't say i ever noticed a change, they both sound like VS. however, i can't vouch i wouldn't find a slight change if i got them in the same room and played identical patches a/b. perhaps.

ditto on loving prophets: i have Prophet 5 rev2, VS rack and 2002+ rack. and if lucky ill pickup a rev3.3 i have kinda reserved with a seller. but he cannot sell it right now because of reasons. im waiting..

of the old ones only two i never wanted were Pro One (bcs i want polyphony with that sound, and only CEM mono i really like is 101) and Prophet 10 because too big and i can't ship it for unavoidable service in the future.

fwiw Prophet 6 isnt bad, but ultimately does not do it for me. Prophet X even less. but i really like the Prophet 12. maybe one day..
Is it true that the rev 2 SSM Prophet 5 s are very unreliable, go out of tune all the time etc? They seem to get a bit of a bad rap, apart from the sound.

It would be ideal to have both revs!

re 101s... I loved mine..bought it for £90 in 1988. It was with me until it was stolen in the 90s..fkers.

I have bills to pay & other financial challenges ( like most) & yet it makes me feel good even thinking about buying a Prophet 2000. Im fully aware that they are considered a total pain in the a to program, setup etc..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search