The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Deckard’s Dream Mk2 now in SMT
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Deckard’s Dream Mk2 now in SMT

https://black-corporation.com/produc...rds-dream-mk2/
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Mk1 is also SMT. Only the DIY is through hole, which I’m not sure that has changed for mk2 either. Haven’t seen anything about the DIY.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
Mk1 is also SMT. Only the DIY is through hole, which I’m not sure that has changed for mk2 either. Haven’t seen anything about the DIY.
primarily the size. strange that a diy version is also offered
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
primarily the size. strange that a diy version is also offered
No mention the DIY has changed form at all. Much longer thread on this at Muffs.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No mention the DIY has changed form at all. Much longer thread on this at Muffs.
I have to read through. maybe I get it wrong, but on the hp an mk2 diy version is offered ..
with the mk1 i saw the main board in smt .. that applies also to the voicecards ?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have to read through. maybe I get it wrong, but on the hp an mk2 diy version is offered ..
with the mk1 i saw the main board in smt .. that applies also to the voicecards ?
It certainly could be that they are both SMT which would make the DIY a lot easier to build I’d think. No official word though. People on the other boards are unsure and speculating at this point. Some think the new form will only apply to the prebuilt also. So I don’t know.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It certainly could be that they are both SMT which would make the DIY a lot easier to build I’d think. No official word though. People on the other boards are unsure and speculating at this point. Some think the new form will only apply to the prebuilt also. So I don’t know.
smt makes DIY easier .. that's new to me
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Weren't they going to release the ring mod "Rachael" alongside the Eurorack single voice "Deckard's Voice"? I don't see it on the site.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

The rev2 already had shrunk the boards, I am guessing they shrunk them even more or managed to mount them differently so the unit is not as deep and can be used as a tabletop unit - it appears to be about half as deep as the rev2. I doubt there is much else different with the internals.

Nice that they also cleaned up the connections at the back and removed the confusing crap that was left behind (such as the "expander" MIDI port). Speaking of which... it would have been really nice if MK2 had incorporated the expander - of course it would have been more of a redesign, but at least it would have made sense as a complete tabletop.

One thing I can't believe is that they did not take this opportunity to improve those horrible, tiny, flimsy "buttons" below the screen. They are just awful to use, at least if you have regular-human-size fingers.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

The buttons and display aren't great (especially the size of the display...yikes), but I pretty much only use the thing in panel mode anyway so don't care (very rarely needing the display/buttons). I do think not including the expander was a mistake as once I got the expander the unit went to a whole other level. Also they should've made it to where the rack form was intact with the same color and the wood ends slide on (like the Vermona DRM1 mk3). As it is, it looks great in desktop form, but if you wanted to rack it on its own, then you have the black rack ears showing (mk1 looks better in this form as it looks much more sleek IMO).

Overall an improvement I guess as I like desktop synths more usually, and it would be less of a hassle for me than to rack it. But, since I already have a Mk1 and did buy a specific enclosure I'm perfectly happy with it that way (and also meshes better with the expander in that format).

I wonder when/if they'll announce the Kijimi in this format...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Speaking of which... it would have been really nice if MK2 had incorporated the expander
Yeah, the major sound of the CS-80 to me is the Ring Mod. Odd that they didn’t include all that in one package now.

Weird.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
999 built and delivered and I'll bite
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Glad they adopted the new format. I think they've figured out the most compelling modern desktop synth design. I certainly wouldn't mind trading up with someone who thinks my DIY is going to sound better because its thru-hole components lol. Don't mind the black rack ears at all.

Website looks much better now too.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

wait, not everybody got rid of their mk1 yet
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationBlvd View Post
Weren't they going to release the ring mod "Rachael" alongside the Eurorack single voice "Deckard's Voice"? I don't see it on the site.
Yeah they have been mum about that. Bob Rogue told me that the voice module itself is on track for March. Well it was, delays can be expected thx to the coronavirus.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
The rev2 already had shrunk the boards, I am guessing they shrunk them even more or managed to mount them differently so the unit is not as deep and can be used as a tabletop unit - it appears to be about half as deep as the rev2. I doubt there is much else different with the internals.

Nice that they also cleaned up the connections at the back and removed the confusing crap that was left behind (such as the "expander" MIDI port). Speaking of which... it would have been really nice if MK2 had incorporated the expander - of course it would have been more of a redesign, but at least it would have made sense as a complete tabletop.

One thing I can't believe is that they did not take this opportunity to improve those horrible, tiny, flimsy "buttons" below the screen. They are just awful to use, at least if you have regular-human-size fingers.
such a big big watery world and we have manufacturers making ridiculous tiny fonts on dark backgrounds, tiny buttons, tiny screens, tiny sliders...when did tiny and hard to use be something cool..?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
when did tiny and hard to use be something cool..?
Too... many... jokes...
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
the major sound of the CS-80 to me is the Ring Mod. Odd that they didn’t include all that in one package now. Weird.
Stop moaning about things that are not there. This thing is the bees knees.

This is not a CS-80 clone, it's a totally different in form factor so I don't see why people are being critical. If you want a clone this synth is not for you.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterfriendly View Post
Stop moaning about things that are not there. This thing is the bees knees.

This is not a CS-80 clone, it's a totally different in form factor so I don't see why people are being critical. If you want a clone this synth is not for you.
What the. Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
he's right, it's really not a cs80 clone, more of an optical illusion the VCO, s are somewhere between Ob-xa and Prophet 5 v3 ...
it is not written without reason "Replicants are not clones ..."
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
999 built and delivered and I'll bite
It's $999 for the DIY, $3749 for the built version sadly. At $999 for the built verson this corner of the internet would probably have crashed...
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I see they’ve added the notably absent sustain II mode with a dedicated amount slider which wasn’t in MKI. One of my favorite things about the Yamaha CS articulation. But no ring mod at the price they’re asking, I’d be way better served with a CS-60.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
The point I was making is that complaining about an omitted ring modulator is not much different from doing the same about a spring reverb (a la 2600).
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The point I was making is that complaining about an omitted ring modulator is not much different from doing the same about a spring reverb (a la 2600).
...crucial for clones or re-issues, not required for derivatives.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
There’s a difference between complaining and commenting / giving an opinion. One allows for discussion. I believe I did the latter.

BC already make an “add on” expander which was brought out later after the release of DD MK1. I was merely stating that in making a v2, they didn’t decide to incorporate the expander (which they already have) into one unit and how odd that was given the opportunity they had.

Anyway... no idea why you’re in such a bad mood with me. I don’t believe we’ve even exchanged words before now? - and incidentally, that’s not me complaining. That’s me posing a rhetorical question which you don’t need to answer.
Old 4 days ago
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
such a big big watery world and we have manufacturers making ridiculous tiny fonts on dark backgrounds, tiny buttons, tiny screens, tiny sliders...when did tiny and hard to use be something cool..?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
smt makes DIY easier .. that's new to me
Clever

Anyway, just saw there is no change to the DIY version. No new enclosure, etc. So this update only affects the existing SMT prebuilt model. Might want to edit the title.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search