The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Juno 106 individual filter control?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Juno 106 individual filter control?

This may be a noob question, but why isn't a thing to have control over each individual filter/vca inside of the Juno 106 or other similarly designed synth? To my understanding, it has a total of 6 filters for each voice with each filter having it's own i/o for control. I'm guessing the i/o lines of each filter are summed into one bus connected to the controls on the fascia for its filter controls. If this is correct, why aren't individual controls per each filter/voice a thing, not speaking directly of the 106, but other synths with similar architecture (filter per voice)? Is it cost/technically prohibitive or am I not understanding the architecture correctly? Does anyone have any examples of non-modular synths with individual controls over each of its vca/vcfs? Matrix? Does anyone know a term for individual voice filter/amp control? I'm aware of polyphonic/para, but is there a specific term for having these individual voice controls?
Old 1 week ago
Because it was a polyphonic single channel/single timbre synth. Those 6 voices were meant to be the SAME voice. People wanted a synth that played more than one note at once, they didn't want a machine they could play chords on and mess with the resonant peaks of the third and seventh separately.
Old 1 week ago
The 106 was considered relatively comprehensible. Its simplicity and relative ease of use made it a lot more accessible in a time when synthesizers were considered too complicated by a lot of musicians. This made it quite popular.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Just so you know, any of these synths with an internal trimmer control, such per voice for filter calibration...it’s not a lot of work to hook some wiring in there and run some pots to it, effectively giving you what youve asked for.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Because it was a polyphonic single channel/single timbre synth. Those 6 voices were meant to be the SAME voice. People wanted a synth that played more than one note at once, they didn't want a machine they could play chords on and mess with the resonant peaks of the third and seventh separately.
Multitimbral synths don't necessarily have individual filter controls/ voice. Does anyone have a technical term for synths that have individual control over each filter per voice? This seems like an important enough distinction to warrant one. Or is there some core concept I'm overlooking?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

On some synths, the filter envelope depth or the cutoff can be controlled by velocity... that is per note.

But yeah otherwise, you need to do something like controlling the cutoff with a midi CC, with different notes on different MIDI channels, which means you need a multichannel synth... Most of the time, only multitimbral synths are multichannel. Multitimbral is really something that caught on later, when synths started having built-in sequencers and people started sequencing them from computers.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

As mentioned some synths let you use velocity for a variety of things through a modulation matrix, so if you have the dexterity you could get what you're wanting for the most part. Otherwise something like a Virus TI that's 16-part multi-timbral you could have 16 variations of the same patch, though triggering them round robin vs allocated note range I'd have no idea.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Just so you know, any of these synths with an internal trimmer control, such per voice for filter calibration...it’s not a lot of work to hook some wiring in there and run some pots to it, effectively giving you what youve asked for.
I did exactly this on my Poly61 - it made chords sound quite lovely at times!

As it also plays each voice sequentially, it was good for bass lines where each filter had a different peak - something it can't do out of the box
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33K View Post
...To my understanding, it has a total of 6 filters for each voice with each filter having it's own i/o for control...
6 voices, 1 filter per voice.

Normally all 6 voices play the same patch. The closest you can get to different filter settings per voice from the panel is via key tracking (Kybd slider in VCF section), so cutoff tracks the keyboard (or not).

Like others have said, you could replace the trimpots on the voice board with panel pots and mount them somewhere on the panel to get different cutoff/resonance per voice. Or just get a multitimbral synth or an Oberheim 4 or 8 voice.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Saw LMNC's new video just this afternoon, it shows the new filter bank of the Gameboy Megamachine, which does exactly what was asked: Individual front panel control of the filters. Thought I should give this thread a heads up on it.

In general, individual controls not coupled to keys would be some random fun, for worse or better: You'd (usually) never know what filter your next note gets assigned to. Also, from the manufacturing side, a multitude of control voltages are needed to fully control each voice individually, hence all the analog "low-end" polys are mono-timbral (where pre-modulation cutoff and resonance controls are shared across voices).

Last edited by rich_de; 1 week ago at 07:54 PM.. Reason: Better wording in last paragraph
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
6 voices, 1 filter per voice.

Normally all 6 voices play the same patch. The closest you can get to different filter settings per voice from the panel is via key tracking (Kybd slider in VCF section), so cutoff tracks the keyboard (or not).

Like others have said, you could replace the trimpots on the voice board with panel pots and mount them somewhere on the panel to get different cutoff/resonance per voice. Or just get a multitimbral synth or an Oberheim 4 or 8 voice.
That's right, just get an 4/8 voice Oberheim. That or poly chain your favourite Behringer mono synth.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
So does anyone know a term that distinguishes synths that have control over each voice's individual filters and envelopes and ones that do not? Multi/monotimbrality is not applicable here as some multi-timbral synths do not have these individual controls.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So does anyone know a term that distinguishes synths that have control over each voice's individual filters and envelopes and ones that do not? Multi/monotimbrality is not applicable here as some multi-timbral synths do not have these individual controls.
I've heard the Oberheim 4/8 voice as being polytonal.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Research the Vermona PerFOURmer.

Quote:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search