The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which hardware synths became powerful after its firmware updates..?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Which hardware synths became powerful after its firmware updates..?

I got so curious about it after witnessing Bass Station 2's firmware update...

Any other synths that became really powerful and competitive...?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

The Access Virus is well known for getting a ton of great updates. DSI/Sequential synths often do as well. The Peak update made it go from a synth I wasn’t very interested in to a synth I purchased.

It’s a lot more prevalent in the software world. Where Zebra 2 was when I bought it and Zebra 2.9 is now... most other companies would have been calling it Zebra 3, and charging an upgrade price, long ago. Spectrasonics is also very generous in this way. Maschine 2 is constantly getting improvements as well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Minitaur got a lot more powerful after firmware updates, gaining preset storage, hard sync, DAHDSR envelopes, multiple LFO waveforms and more.

Montage and MODX gained a pattern sequencer, extended range LFO and other features.

JD-Xi gained an interactive chord mode.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The analogue four was a massive one

It had only 128 patches in the whole thing in the beginning

Then a few months in Elektron said 'oh it's actually got a gigabyte of memory, here you go we opened it up' and it's actually got thousands of spaces to use and they hid that as a surprise

Not that's really all firmware update , but it's a thing
Old 1 week ago
Plus 1 for the Minitaur...And the SE-02.
Old 1 week ago
The 1.20 and 1.30 updates in the summer of 2018 to the Roland System-8 were impressive. Added the JX-3P synth, and added two linear FM oscillator variations and five new filters (including formant and harmonic) to the S8 native synth.
Old 1 week ago
Hmm my Bass Station didn't suddenly sprout a cape when I updated it a couple weeks ago. Still does the same stuff it always did, only now I have some "Aphex Twin" mode where I can confuse the crap out of myself and set various parameters per key?

How about the MPC4000 along with the latest generation. Badly broken and incomplete when released, nowadays they cant be stopped.
Old 1 week ago
Novation Peak 1.2 update was quite remarkable

New wavetables

Massively increasing the range of Peak’s sonic palette, 43 new wavetables have been added to the oscillator Wave menus.

Additional modulators

Peak 1.2 adds two more freely assignable, non-voice-specific LFOs (bringing the total to four) to the Mod Matrix and new FX Matrix. Pitch-Bend is now also available as a modulation source, with Up (BendWhl+) and Down (BendWhl-) assignable as separate signals if required.

New Mod Matrix design

Workflow in the Mod Matrix is greatly accelerated with Peak 1.2, as sources and destinations are presented on the same page – no more toggling between them to make and edit assignments. And as a knock-on benefit, the Page button now enables quick access to all 16 modulation slots.

FX Mod Matrix

You demanded, we delivered! Peak 1.2 lets you route non-voice-specific modulation sources to Peak’s FX parameters in the new four-slot FX Mod Matrix. Now you can, for example, expand and contract a reverb with a rhythmic LFO, or automate delay time changes using an envelope.

New envelope features

And speaking of envelopes, Peak 1.2’s ADSRs see the addition of a Hold stage (up to 500ms) and the ability to loop between the Attack and Decay stages. For many, this gamechanging improvement alone will be reason enough to upgrade.

Initialise Manual Mode

Peak 1.2 gives you the option of maintaining the current positions of all knobs and sliders when the Initialise button is pressed, rather than resetting their parameters to defaults – ideal for getting instantly hands-on with new patches, and creating random ones from scratch. The previous behaviour can be reinstated in the Settings menu, of course, for those who prefer it.

Microtuning

Peak 1.2 also adds support for microtuning. 16 Tuning Tables can be edited and saved for recall within any patch, with Scala tables imported via Components and automatic note selection making MIDI note-to-pitch assignment a snap.

New presets

Available for free in Components, a new soundbank by GForce Software (128 presets) and a new soundpack by Patricia Wolf (50 presets) add 178 stunning new sounds to your patch library, showcasing the new features of Firmware 1.2, as well as the sonic power and versatility of Peak in general.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post

Then a few months in Elektron said 'oh it's actually got a gigabyte of memory, here you go we opened it up' and it's actually got thousands of spaces to use and they hid that as a surprise
It was also just 4 monos in a box in the beginning,
then a firmware update upgraded it to a 4-voice poly.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Arturia Matrixbrute V 2.0 New features:

Standalone settings mode (Press PRESET + SEQ + MOD)
Preset compare mode (Hold PRESET + Press preset slot)
Custom waveform LFO (Hold LFO < + > to edit the waveform)
LFO triplet and dotted divisions (Hold LFO SEQ-Sync + Press SEQ note, triplet or dotted)
Access 4 pages of custom modulation destinations (16 custom destinations)
Sequencer : Rotate sequence (Hold Tap + press SEQ < or >)
Sequencer : Extend & duplicate sequence (Hold SEQ length + press SEQ >)
Sequencer : Selected step note is now shown on the display
Sequencer : New step edition methods (Hold one step/two steps + turn Mod knob)
Sequencer : Multi-step erase (Hold two steps from the right to the left)
Sequencer : BPM adjustment in whole numbers (Hold tap + turn Rate)
In Duo-Split glide can be applied to the upper part (Hold Voice mode + Press Glide ON/OFF)
Pitch-wheel dead zone can now be edited (MCC / Standalone settings)
Glide mode selection (Rate/Time)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

The Matrixbrute was always awesome, but the 2.0 firmware introduced some nice changes.

https://www.arturia.com/matrixbrute-firmware-2

Edit: jinx!
Old 1 week ago
• Access Virus
• Yamaha Motif/Montage
• Roland S8
• Sequential P6/OB-6
• Moog Little/Slim Phatty

Both Access and Yamaha get high marks for releasing firmware updates many years after their products' initial release. Although Roland has dropped support on a ton of their products, the S8 update was impressive. Sequential added significant MIDI functionality in recent updates to their flagship polys. Moog has continued to improve their polychain capability in their Little/Slim Phattys up until fairly recently.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Synthstrom Deluge. Synthstrom has been listening to their customers' feedback and they've incorporated as many feature requests as possible in their firmware updates.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post

Not that's really all firmware update , but it's a thing
They also added the LFOs could go audio rate and track the keyboard. That was huge.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Novation Circuit has done pretty well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
They also added the LFOs could go audio rate and track the keyboard. That was huge.
ah yes! they did the FM modes, and what @ WozNYC said with the poly thing

oh and MIDI out on the sequencer recently
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Roland V-synth when it went to v2.0 software was very significant upgrade...
Old 1 week ago
MicroFreak got a noise oscillator.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Pro2 when they added linear FM was a huge update in terms of tonal possibilities
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

My dream is that one day MFB will release a firmware update that gives their synths syncable LFOs.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
My dream is that one day MFB will release a firmware update that gives their synths syncable LFOs.
The synth pro lfos can be synced to internal or external clock.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
The synth pro lfos can be synced to internal or external clock.
Are they out in the wild yet?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Are they out in the wild yet?
a number of us here have one... but there is a backlog. my preorder was made in oct? and it arrived about a week ago.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
a number of us here have one... but there is a backlog. my preorder was made in oct? and it arrived about a week ago.
Yeah, MFB still seems to act surprised when people want their instruments. They really seem to hate it when Americans want it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Synthesizers that had real significant firmware updates that actually brought a lot of functionalities that didn't exist at release, among others:

Novation SuperNova/Nova line, which added some polyphony on the desktop version (12=>16), new filter types, a new oscillator, a programmable arpeggiator among many others things

Novation Bass Station II, too many features to list

Novation ReMote Audio Xtreme which became a fully standalone synth instead of a midi keyboard+soundcard

Novation Circuit, too many features to list

Akai MPC Live/X too many features to list

Yamaha RS7000 which added more sections, more effects, more filters, more everything and considerably improved the UI.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yeah, MFB still seems to act surprised when people want their instruments. They really seem to hate it when Americans want it.
Order from Thomann. Price for Americans is significantly less than in EU, shipping was quick. It seems that they are just not being produced very fast.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo leitao View Post
Novation Peak 1.2 update was quite remarkable

New wavetables

Massively increasing the range of Peak’s sonic palette, 43 new wavetables have been added to the oscillator Wave menus.

Additional modulators

Peak 1.2 adds two more freely assignable, non-voice-specific LFOs (bringing the total to four) to the Mod Matrix and new FX Matrix. Pitch-Bend is now also available as a modulation source, with Up (BendWhl+) and Down (BendWhl-) assignable as separate signals if required.

New Mod Matrix design

Workflow in the Mod Matrix is greatly accelerated with Peak 1.2, as sources and destinations are presented on the same page – no more toggling between them to make and edit assignments. And as a knock-on benefit, the Page button now enables quick access to all 16 modulation slots.

FX Mod Matrix

You demanded, we delivered! Peak 1.2 lets you route non-voice-specific modulation sources to Peak’s FX parameters in the new four-slot FX Mod Matrix. Now you can, for example, expand and contract a reverb with a rhythmic LFO, or automate delay time changes using an envelope.

New envelope features

And speaking of envelopes, Peak 1.2’s ADSRs see the addition of a Hold stage (up to 500ms) and the ability to loop between the Attack and Decay stages. For many, this gamechanging improvement alone will be reason enough to upgrade.

Initialise Manual Mode

Peak 1.2 gives you the option of maintaining the current positions of all knobs and sliders when the Initialise button is pressed, rather than resetting their parameters to defaults – ideal for getting instantly hands-on with new patches, and creating random ones from scratch. The previous behaviour can be reinstated in the Settings menu, of course, for those who prefer it.

Microtuning

Peak 1.2 also adds support for microtuning. 16 Tuning Tables can be edited and saved for recall within any patch, with Scala tables imported via Components and automatic note selection making MIDI note-to-pitch assignment a snap.

New presets

Available for free in Components, a new soundbank by GForce Software (128 presets) and a new soundpack by Patricia Wolf (50 presets) add 178 stunning new sounds to your patch library, showcasing the new features of Firmware 1.2, as well as the sonic power and versatility of Peak in general.
Wow...

I honestly overlooked upon Novation Peak.. and purchased Prophet 08 as my first polysynth last year instead, But the update seems extremely tempting...

Perhaps Novation Summit must be on another level...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
Minitaur got a lot more powerful after firmware updates, gaining preset storage, hard sync, DAHDSR envelopes, multiple LFO waveforms and more.

Montage and MODX gained a pattern sequencer, extended range LFO and other features.

JD-Xi gained an interactive chord mode.
I was thinking, it would be really nice if Moog could add more wave shapes for Minitaur... (not sure whether it is possible systematically but would be really niice)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Access Virus is well known for getting a ton of great updates. DSI/Sequential synths often do as well. The Peak update made it go from a synth I wasn’t very interested in to a synth I purchased.

It’s a lot more prevalent in the software world. Where Zebra 2 was when I bought it and Zebra 2.9 is now... most other companies would have been calling it Zebra 3, and charging an upgrade price, long ago. Spectrasonics is also very generous in this way. Maschine 2 is constantly getting improvements as well.
It seems like maschine has been on 2 for a decade now, I wonder if there will be a 3 or if NI’s reported issues have killed its future.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Synthstrom Deluge. The updates completely took it to another level.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search