The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which hardware synths became powerful after its firmware updates..?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Does JJOS count ?

The OG Akai MPC1000 is pretty poor

JJOS makes the MPC1000 practically unstoppable.

Too many feature additions to list.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Waldorf Quantum

v2 (still in beta but available for owners) adds a massive amount of new stuff including a new Osc type which is itself a 6 operator FM synth. Too much other useful stuff to list.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureman84 View Post
Does JJOS count ?
Well not really, since AKAI had nothing to do with it.

Great OS though which demonstrates that a single developer can add a lot of features to a device and that it's often not a technical issue, but a "internal politics within a company" one. It's not even a marketing issue, AKAI probably heavily profited from JJ's work with an increase in MPC1000 sales.

Seems like businesses like Pioneer don't want to sell their gear though...
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL View Post
It seems like maschine has been on 2 for a decade now, I wonder if there will be a 3 or if NI’s reported issues have killed its future.
Not if they’re smart. I’d say Maschine is probably their meat and potatoes. My guess is they make more on Maschine expansions than on all their other products.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
The Behringer Odyssey sound changed from when I first opened it out of the box to the update of the firmware - I was happy with what I had, but I was way more happy after the firmware update. I don't really know how to describe it. It seemed like lowends were more pro-nounced - I don't know if anyone understands this... but it just seemed wider. I was happy with that.

Also - last update of the OP-1 made some significant improvements to sound quality. I wish they would work on that more though rather than ikea lights. Which there was an update for all the early adopters of the OP-1 to add the PO(pocket operater series to the original synth) - making all those pocket operators was very disrespectful after so many people bought the OP-1 and then found out there was NO support... then they just wasted the responsibility of support aside ---- that was pretty Calous! It would be kind to add those PO's to the OP-1.
Old 5 days ago
PES
Lives for gear

Elektron

It took multiple posts by several people to list many great Analog Four updates. Yet Overbridge and audio interface capability(!) wasn't mentioned I think. I've had it since 2013 (well, Keys now), and Elektron just keep delivering.
Old 5 days ago
Waldorf Q got many updates since the initial OS, which bring up lots of new features and improvements, including wavetable oscillators (Alt1/Alt2), suboscillators, PPG filter, reverb, etc.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Q_ChangeLog.txt (28.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by PES View Post
It took multiple posts by several people to list many great Analog Four updates. Yet Overbridge and audio interface capability(!) wasn't mentioned I think. I've had it since 2013 (well, Keys now), and Elektron just keep delivering.
Actually they have been the most "solid of the firmware updaters" - problems always solved - new features added. You are right - they should be acknowledged as the best of class in what they do and to keep a synth updated. I would highly agree with your statement. Quality on all levels.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Not if they’re smart. I’d say Maschine is probably their meat and potatoes. My guess is they make more on Maschine expansions than on all their other products.
I may buy a maschine. I own the software, but my mki is dead, so I could get a controller minus software used from guitar center for about 325.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL View Post
I may buy a maschine. I own the software, but my mki is dead, so I could get a controller minus software used from guitar center for about 325.
A MK1 controller for $325? That sounds high. At one point I thought I’d abandon Maschine and I couldn’t get $200 for a MK1 including software.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
OTO Machines Biscuit actually added a synth after being sold as just being a bitcrusher with some 8 bit effects. That was even after they were discontinued.

Mutable Instruments Elements has a secret mode from an update that makes it a 1/1 carrier/operator FM synth...also has some other secret modes as well...

Glad I got both!

Last edited by sirdss; 4 days ago at 11:11 PM..
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
A MK1 controller for $325? That sounds high. At one point I thought I’d abandon Maschine and I couldn’t get $200 for a MK1 including software.
No, I had an mi. I’ve seen them sell studios for 325
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Late to the party here, but I had to chime in with a part of the Kurzweil Forte story. As originally released it was billed as a Stage Piano for good reason, though unfortunately the original limitations became what everyone assumed about the product for years to come. Since then, new firmware has added the following:
  • Full patch editing with the classic Kurzweil VAST synthesis engine under the hood exposed, including parts of the legendary VA-1 virtual analog synth that never made it to market.
  • The ability to install up to 3.3GB of user samples, where originally there was no support at all for anything but the factory samples.
  • Full master controller capability for up to 16 zones, and up to 16 flexible arpeggiator running simultaneously.
  • High-precision 16-track MIDI sequencing plus the ability to trigger sequences as “riffs” in multi configurations.
  • 6-op FM synthesis with SysEx compatibility for DX7 sounds, plus the ability to route FM layers through everything else VAST has to offer.
  • Flexible step sequencing for CCs.

Chances are I’m forgetting a few things along the way, too. It really is the most amazing transformation of an in-market product I can think of.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Hmm my Bass Station didn't suddenly sprout a cape when I updated it a couple weeks ago. Still does the same stuff it always did, only now I have some "Aphex Twin" mode where I can confuse the crap out of myself and set various parameters per key?

How about the MPC4000 along with the latest generation. Badly broken and incomplete when released, nowadays they cant be stopped.
Hey, now you can play paraphonically, you can directly control the sub osc and lotsa nifty things (the oscillator error, glide divergence, etc)

Still, no sequence per patch

Too bad i had to sell mine for the mc-707.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search