The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hell freezes over & Flat gets a Jupiter. A few questions
Old 10th February 2020
  #61
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
7536 pieces with 8132 pieces without.. who cares
As it happens, I was. hence the question. But thanks for figures
Old 10th February 2020
  #62
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
As it happens, I was. hence the question. But thanks for figures
forget the numbers, as far as I know there are not even numbers about the total production. that's roland, everything secret
Old 10th February 2020
  #63
Lives for gear
 
Rezisehtnys's Avatar
I'm pretty sure the JX-3P was the first MIDI synth along with the Prophet 600.
Old 10th February 2020
  #64
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezisehtnys View Post
I'm pretty sure the JX-3P was the first MIDI synth along with the Prophet 600.
I always understood it was all 3?
Old 10th February 2020
  #65
Lives for gear
 
Rezisehtnys's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
I always understood it was all 3?
Could be, maybe the Europa thing on the Jupiter is throwing me off.
Old 10th February 2020
  #66
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
I always understood it was all 3?
all three are from 83, the first midi handshake between sequential and roland was a jp6 and p600 ..
officially, these two synthesizers are called the first
Old 10th February 2020
  #67
Lives for gear
 
rasseru's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezisehtnys View Post
I know right, I'm getting one too after swearing off any more VA and ESPECIALLY the Virus.

Funny how the world works.
Aha! we will be buying Nords next

actually a system 8, things that I can put in a bag and take to my friends house are proving to be the most useful
Old 10th February 2020
  #68
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
all three are from 83, the first midi handshake between sequential and roland was a jp6 and p600 ..
officially, these two synthesizers are called the first
Quoted from Music Radar:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although it's debatable whether we've hit the 30th anniversary of MIDI just yet - the BBC has published an article to mark the occasion on the basis that the Prophet-600, the first synth to feature the standard, was released in December 1982,
-----------------------------------------------------------------


Looks like the 600 may have been the very 1st.
Old 10th February 2020
  #69
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
Aha! we will be buying Nords next

actually a system 8, things that I can put in a bag and take to my friends house are proving to be the most useful
the new XM should be even better, ultracloud technology with significantly more V and A. plus a funky schoolgirl bag
Old 10th February 2020
  #70
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Quoted from Music Radar:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although it's debatable whether we've hit the 30th anniversary of MIDI just yet - the BBC has published an article to mark the occasion on the basis that the Prophet-600, the first synth to feature the standard, was released in December 1982,
-----------------------------------------------------------------


Looks like the 600 may have been the very 1st.
The first public demonstration of MIDI was at the 1983 Winter NAMM Show, Smith demonstrated a MIDI connection between Prophet 600 and Roland JP-6 synthesizers

all others were only to be seen in darkrooms

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI
Old 10th February 2020
  #71
Lives for gear
 
Rezisehtnys's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
Aha! we will be buying Nords next

actually a system 8, things that I can put in a bag and take to my friends house are proving to be the most useful
Hmm, I don't know about going THAT far.

That's kind of the same deal here for me and the Virus TI, one synth to play out with and call it real. Not like the audience cares, and if anything the glowing logo on the back will enchant them.
Old 10th February 2020
  #72
Lives for gear
 
rasseru's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
the new XM should be even better, ultracloud technology with significantly more V and A. plus a funky schoolgirl bag
i'm on the fence with that one
Old 10th February 2020
  #73
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
i'm on the fence with that one
the problem of VA, better every year
Old 10th February 2020
  #74
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
I have only ever seen one JP6 with a MIDI through port. Did they make many? (or as I mentioned earlier was it like the Poly 61m where they threw a handful of upgraded units out at the end of its production life)
I don't know if they are rare, but the one I had did have the MIDI Thru port. If it's rare, another reason I shouldn't have sold it

Old 10th February 2020
  #75
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
I don't know if they are rare, but the one I had did have the MIDI Thru port. If it's rare, another reason I shouldn't have sold it

Haha Paolo.

You seem to have the knack of finding the mint / rare ones.

That 61M in your excellent demos looked pretty fresh too.
Old 10th February 2020
  #76
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Haha Paolo.

You seem to have the knack of finding the mint / rare ones.

That 61M in your excellent demos looked pretty fresh too.
mint / rar ? look at this

Old 26th February 2020
  #77
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Always nice when you get sent things by the original owner.

Sent me the Europa instructions and the original Roland ROM chip. Not sure I'll ever need it, but nice to have as back up.

Hell freezes over & Flat gets a Jupiter. A few questions-imgp5318.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Hell freezes over & Flat gets a Jupiter. A few questions-imgp5318.jpg  
Old 26th February 2020
  #78
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Always nice when you get sent things by the original owner.

Sent me the Europa instructions and the original Roland ROM chip. Not sure I'll ever need it, but nice to have as back up.

the main thing is that you have europa, the original cpu .. looks more like the z80 in the picture .. you'll never need it again

correction, that wasn't a z80 that I cruelly cut out, but an intel 8031 ..intel inside !
could be the revision of jp6 by the way .. there were 3 different .. ok with europa also unimportant ..



controller board

Old 27th February 2020
  #79
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

it just comes to my mind .. are you sure that europa is built in? not that this is the new europa cpu ..
the original cpu is soldered .. suspicious that it looks so new .. take a picture of the name of the cpu .. and look into the synth ..
Old 27th February 2020
  #80
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
it just comes to my mind .. are you sure that europa is built in? not that this is the new europa cpu ..
the original cpu is soldered .. suspicious that it looks so new .. take a picture of the name of the cpu .. and look into the synth ..
Pics of removed chip for you monsieur.

Hell freezes over & Flat gets a Jupiter. A few questions-jp6-chip.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Hell freezes over & Flat gets a Jupiter. A few questions-jp6-chip.jpg  
Old 27th February 2020
  #81
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Pics of removed chip for you monsieur.


throw him to the floor



read in the manual, it was not advised to completely unsolder the chip .. the risk of damaging the board is much higher ... side cutter snap snap ... is only waste anyway
Old 27th February 2020
  #82
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
throw him to the floor



read in the manual, it was not advised to completely unsolder the chip .. the risk of damaging the board is much higher ... side cutter snap snap ... is only waste anyway
Well the previous owner of the synth says it was done by a pro, so I'm happy with that.
Old 27th February 2020
  #83
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Well the previous owner of the synth says it was done by a pro, so I'm happy with that.
everyone claims to be a pro, thank god i'm a superstar.
seriously you understand the problem of unnecessary heating the pcb, well that everything works anyway.
I did it myself at the time, don't trust any pro.
Old 27th February 2020
  #84
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
everyone claims to be a pro, thank god i'm a superstar.
seriously you understand the problem of unnecessary heating the pcb, well that everything works anyway.
I did it myself at the time, don't trust any pro.
The guy who did this Europa upgrade on this JP6 is called Simon Flinn (tech for Funky Junk)

Old 27th February 2020
  #85
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
The guy who did this Europa upgrade on this JP6 is called Simon Flinn (tech for Funky Junk)

I do not know him, but it seems that he cannot read. hopefully he has at least an ic socket built in .. is not necessary either .. and if you can not read ..
the power supply has been revised ?
Old 27th February 2020
  #86
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
I do not know him, but it seems that he cannot read. hopefully he has at least an ic socket built in .. is not necessary either .. and if you can not read ..
the power supply has been revised ?
Dude, I'm not going to question or insult reputable techs methods. Many vintage synths have chips de-soldered with adequate care taken to disperse heat etc. It sounds like Europa are probably just covering themselves by suggesting the least hardware upset as possible This Jup is working perfectly. I do not know if the PSU has been replaced/serviced but asked question at start of thread as to whether I should do it.

I may carefully pop the hood and have look about soon.
Old 27th February 2020
  #87
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Dude, I'm not going to question or insult reputable techs methods. Many vintage synths have chips de-soldered with adequate care taken to disperse heat etc. It sounds like Europa are probably just covering themselves by suggesting the least hardware upset as possible This Jup is working perfectly. I do not know if the PSU has been replaced/serviced but asked question at start of thread as to whether I should do it.

I may carefully pop the hood and have look about soon.
he has already done that himself, the unnecessary heat is out of the question.
but in the end how you say the synth works .. that's the most important.
that with the power supply is not so important, I even have the original in the jp8 .. and even worse in the sh1000, but it doesn't hurt .. 105 degree LongLife capacitors have certain advantages.

opening is easy .. can be opened in a service-friendly manner.
Old 27th February 2020
  #88
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
opening is easy .. can be opened in a service-friendly manner.
I always get nervous when opening up old synths. Remember opening my Trident up and feeling like I'd fallen into some 1960's telephone exchange
Old 27th February 2020
  #89
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
I always get nervous when opening up old synths. Remember opening my Trident up and feeling like I'd fallen into some 1960's telephone exchange
the trindent is harmless .. nice and tidy.
look at a memorymoog.

beware of crystalline deposits and small glass bottles from switzerland



Old 27th February 2020
  #90
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
the trindent is harmless .. nice and tidy.
look at a memorymoog.
Yep. That MM looks like a jungle in comparison.

I took this internal pic of my old MK1 Trident (The MK2 is much tidier).

Sometimes I can stare at this pic it for ages. Old analog circuitry can be mezmorising

Hell freezes over & Flat gets a Jupiter. A few questions-imgp0150s.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Hell freezes over & Flat gets a Jupiter. A few questions-imgp0150s.jpg  
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump