The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
February 2020 New gear thread
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
The Aphex EQs I got last month were found lacking so I replaced them with more fancy ones from Cartec.

February 2020 New gear thread-20200213_182338_hdr-1-.jpg

I'm cannibalizing the Aphex for their transformers to use in a project.
Cool.

Are you DIYing 500 series modules?

I should look into that for some basics/classics.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Finally getting into the 500 series congrats dude!

I remember you talking about it years ago..
Haha thanks. Yeah I had a thread about which was worse smoking crack or 500s? Looks like crack won!
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Cool.

Are you DIYing 500 series modules?

I should look into that for some basics/classics.
Yes and no. The one on the left is a kit from DIYRE - actually 4 kits combined. Another one is in process so I can use for stereo. Then there's a Hairball Audio Silver Elements in the works which is a partial kit of a mic preamp but you have to design the guts of it. You make the choices about what gain circuits and which transformers to use. That's where the Aphex EQ trannys are going.
On the pure DIY side I'm starting to develop my own colour modules for use in the DIYRE units.
But I'm also buying a few high quality units to take the place of old rack gear too.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

I didn't expect this until next month. But whatya know.
Attached Thumbnails
February 2020 New gear thread-korg-wavestate.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraeus000 View Post
The Wavestate arrived a couple days ago and I’ve only had a couple hours with it, but my initial impressions are I won’t be selling my wavestation sr or ex. The wave sequencing functions are super cool yes, but the keys feel horrible, loud, cheap, clunky and feels like crap. (Just my amateur impression). Also I’m very disappointed in the overall sound which I find lacking some magic that the originals had. The best I can compare it to is comparing my former Roland FA-6 to my JV-880 and JD modules (he’ll even my u220). Kind of like comparing an audio file to an MP3 or something as best as I can describe it. It sounds good but not the kind of good I’m used to with it’s older siblings. I’m going to keep it though and mess around with it it is pretty cool. Just wanted to note that it was one of the most exciting pieces of gear I was anticipating to receive and I came away very disappointed overall especially for 799. Oh geez, Have I turned into one of those gearslutz critics now ?!?!
That's a fair review and to be expected with new cheapish gear... especially gear where the signal path is simply DSP/code to DAC with nothing in between. It'll be up to you to induce a vibe and tone by running it through other gear... try that and let us know if your perspective changes?

I did this experiment with a newish "flat" DX synth by pumping it through 4 sets of MS-20 filters (HP-LP-HP-LP) then into a phase pedal and the degradation, movement and selected resonant boosts really altered the base tone into something that was basically ****ing awesome compared to the dry signal! But I can't imagine how limiting having this awesome vibe would be if everything came out with the same bumpy frequency response and movement... so a (cheapish) flat sounding Wavestate can be a good thing if you look at it from that angle.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Yay I finally get to post something, my little work rig, macbook pro 16" and got Tal Sampler and Akai MPK mini, perfect little portable bundle.

February 2020 New gear thread-img_9557.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
February 2020 New gear thread-img_9557.jpg   February 2020 New gear thread-img_9558.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut
Picked one of these used. Finally have a drum machine again after many years ITB - last one I had was a 626 I think. This is tiny but fun.

Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmedia View Post
Picked one of these used. Finally have a drum machine again after many years ITB - last one I had was a 626 I think. This is tiny but fun.

I love mine. A real gem.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
Two solid purchases that I'm very happy with so far.
Attached Thumbnails
February 2020 New gear thread-annotation1.png   February 2020 New gear thread-annotation2.png  
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head
Finally bought a JV1080 the other day after years of wanting one. Came with the orchestral expansion too. Love it
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Some vintage wire. Sounds great.

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

This was an odd night of impulse shopping. I needed a specialty toaster for bread I make and it had to be red, done.

I then went to musicians friend and used 20% off Presidents’ Day coupon on a red behringer TD-3.

Last edited by namnibor; 3 days ago at 05:34 AM.. Reason: Red wine
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
This was an odd night of impulse shopping. I needed a specialty toaster for bread I make and it had to be red, done.
Well don't be coy, show us this special bread and this special ree toaster.

Bread Slutz and Toaster Slutz want to know.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorktop View Post
Some vintage wire. Sounds great.

Proto-Monster Cable, from Frankenstein Labs, UK.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Yay I finally get to post something, my little work rig, macbook pro 16" and got Tal Sampler and Akai MPK mini, perfect little portable bundle.

What black computer keyboard is that?

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

After a massive eurorack cull over the last 6-9 months where I sold 12U x 104hp of modules, I got some replacement goodies.

Looking forward to the CS-L which is on it's way, but the other two have been awesome so far!
Attached Thumbnails
February 2020 New gear thread-screen-shot-2020-02-16-9.46.55-pm.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Roland MC-101 after watching this video and to partner the Blackbox away from my little upstairs studio/music room. Was hoping to recreate this classic track from my youth and thought all the instrument samples were included, but sadly it looks like I need the filtered strings (from a SY22?) to do it equal justice.

I sampled the GO and YEAAH samples from the video, plus the hits, bass and piano.

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Yamaha Montage 8 out...

...Yamaha P-515 + Nord Stage 3 HP76 in

February 2020 New gear thread-yamaha-p-515-16-02-2020-.jpg

February 2020 New gear thread-nord-stage-3-hp76-16-02-2020-6-.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
February 2020 New gear thread-yamaha-p-515-16-02-2020-.jpg   February 2020 New gear thread-nord-stage-3-hp76-16-02-2020-6-.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcoaffamato View Post
Yamaha Montage 8 out...

...Yamaha P-515 + Nord Stage 3 HP76 in

February 2020 New gear thread-yamaha-p-515-16-02-2020-.jpg

February 2020 New gear thread-nord-stage-3-hp76-16-02-2020-6-.jpg
Beautiful boards both, congrats!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Well don't be coy, show us this special bread and this special ree toaster.

Bread Slutz and Toaster Slutz want to know.
Toaster on way in postage, my 12.5 year old stress sponge licking chops, wheat tapioca bread and scare vampires away garlic bread to right.
My breads vary depending on types in size, so needed a toaster that would accommodate various sizes/widths with flare.

9 months vegan and so much healthier for it.

TD-3, on way.
Attached Thumbnails
February 2020 New gear thread-68ae37c5-9dcc-4542-93a5-a94f3c7aa0d5.jpg   February 2020 New gear thread-f4501433-3cb3-4ec2-8986-756b7e707bd3.jpg   February 2020 New gear thread-image_52_0.jpg  

Last edited by namnibor; 3 days ago at 02:39 PM.. Reason: Toasted
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

The only thing better than a Roland SH-101 is two Roland SH-101s

February 2020 New gear thread-img_2903.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post

Congrats. Nice vintage spoiler btw
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Trut dat.

BTW nice ride! How many horsepower would that be?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
BTW nice ride! How many horsepower would that be?
Thanks Don, an early Christmas present to myself last year - might as well burn it whilst we are still allowed.

Currently running factory power, so about 415BHP, which TBH is enough - it never loses it's breath. It's getting mapped before the summer up to around 495 - it doesn't need any mods or engine strengthening to do so (the 996 turbo and GT3 are a derivative of the GT1 race engine), so it would be silly not to!
Old 2 days ago
Nice 101 box, hairdressers car
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Nice 101 box, hairdressers car
It's at least a manual! The only reason it isn't a GT3 is that I need the rear seats for the weans ....
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
it doesn't need any mods or engine strengthening to do so (the 996 turbo and GT3 are a derivative of the GT1 race engine), so it would be silly not to!
Well.... i guess that should be enough to cross the Alps.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Well.... i guess that should be enough to cross the Alps.
Definitely yes! I had it up the north of scotland last week during the terrible weather and it's invincible on the road, not much gets in your way!
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
it's invincible on the road, not much gets in your way!
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
It's at least a manual! The only reason it isn't a GT3 is that I need the rear seats for the weans ....
My "car" has three rows of seats and its horsepower is so it can tow boats...no explanation needed

My mate back home has a GTR which we all love to call a Datsun

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search