The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Worst Purchase of 2020
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1
Worst Purchase of 2020

Wow! Back in high school I wrote a crappy Sci-fi short story about hackers that hacked into ubiquitous industrial nanotechnology and sent the nanobots off on a molecular level ravenous rampage. The nanobots were fairly generic units with some basic safety protocols. One of which was deactivate upon going below sea level. I guess to prevent them from contaminating the water supply or tunneling into the planet's core and reproducing geometrically while feeding off the energy of the earth until it ran out. So anyway the survivors of the nano-apocalypse were people trapped underground at the time the nanobots came and deconstructed everything around them and turned it to sand. These were people riding the subways, digging tunnels for public water projects, people in basements etc.
There was a horrific outbreak of cannibalism within the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel where hundreds of survivors ran out of road trip snacks and resorted to snacking on each other with no hope of rescue coming.
Eventually the survivors discovered a particular frequency of high voltage electrical arc discharges could kill the nanobots and started trying to reclaim the sandy desert of what remained of the surface of the planet. Then they came into conflict with what remained of the military who'd also figured out the bot killing mechanism. In the end end a survivor who was a hacker reprogrammed the nanobots to build forests and they turned the entire continent into one unbroken virgin forest from coast to coast. The end. That was from 1988. It was set to take place in 2021.

Hehehe! We don't even have nanobots yet! Instead we got Facebook

And sadly we also got an expensive BBD modulation pedal with no wet/dry mix control. WTF? It's 2020! Fine I can accept no nanobots but how do you leave out a mix control on a modulation effects pedal in this day and age????

Dreadbox Komoreebi is the worst purchase of 2020 so far. Shame. It sounded good but without being able to add some dry signal back in it was just overpowering and muffled sounding. Back it goes!
And the patch points were frankly useless. Modulating the parameters of a BBD with a sequencer or whatever is so pointless. They should have put in a mix control instead of useless patch points.

When the nanobots hit next year I won't be sending them details about the nanobot death machine.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Well it's a month in to 2020 and I have not purchased any studio or synth related items. Gotta say nothing at NAMM really interested me at all.

So far the only thing I might get in 2020 is a Jupiter XM, but hoping they put it in a rack module instead and call it an Integra 8.

The nano bots would be cool however
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
Wow! Back in high school I wrote a crappy Sci-fi short story about hackers that hacked into ubiquitous industrial nanotechnology and sent the nanobots off on a molecular level ravenous rampage. The nanobots were fairly generic units with some basic safety protocols. One of which was deactivate upon going below sea level. I guess to prevent them from contaminating the water supply or tunneling into the planet's core and reproducing geometrically while feeding off the energy of the earth until it ran out. So anyway the survivors of the nano-apocalypse were people trapped underground at the time the nanobots came and deconstructed everything around them and turned it to sand. These were people riding the subways, digging tunnels for public water projects, people in basements etc.
There was a horrific outbreak of cannibalism within the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel where hundreds of survivors ran out of road trip snacks and resorted to snacking on each other with no hope of rescue coming.
Eventually the survivors discovered a particular frequency of high voltage electrical arc discharges could kill the nanobots and started trying to reclaim the sandy desert of what remained of the surface of the planet. Then they came into conflict with what remained of the military who'd also figured out the bot killing mechanism. In the end end a survivor who was a hacker reprogrammed the nanobots to build forests and they turned the entire continent into one unbroken virgin forest from coast to coast. The end. That was from 1988. It was set to take place in 2021.

Hehehe! We don't even have nanobots yet! Instead we got Facebook

And sadly we also got an expensive BBD modulation pedal with no wet/dry mix control. WTF? It's 2020! Fine I can accept no nanobots but how do you leave out a mix control on a modulation effects pedal in this day and age????

Dreadbox Komoreebi is the worst purchase of 2020 so far. Shame. It sounded good but without being able to add some dry signal back in it was just overpowering and muffled sounding. Back it goes!
And the patch points were frankly useless. Modulating the parameters of a BBD with a sequencer or whatever is so pointless. They should have put in a mix control instead of useless patch points.

When the nanobots hit next year I won't be sending them details about the nanobot death machine.
Delmarva guy detected.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
24dB's Avatar
Got this at a yard sale, it needed a lot of work...

Old 3 weeks ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
shreddoggie's Avatar
I give up.
You win.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 
jazzcabbage's Avatar
 

I’m here for the chips and bean dip
Old 3 weeks ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
seamonkey's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24dB View Post
Got this at a yard sale, it needed a lot of work...

I read somewhere, if you run the output through an analog spring reverb it sounds massive!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #8
Gear Addict
 
FlyingMusician's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
So far the only thing I might get in 2020 is a Jupiter XM, but hoping they put it in a rack module instead and call it an Integra 8.
The Jupiter Xm was my first reaction reading this thread as my worst recent purchase.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #9
This thread might come in handy later. Like in 2021. If we survive.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.colt View Post
Delmarva guy detected.
Not in 88, lived in Philthy then. From 04 - 08 I was stationed in VA Beach while in the Navy though. At the time I wrote the story I added locations I'd seen in my travels or previous places I lived. By coincidence I wound up living a few blocks away from the Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel later in life. Funny how that works.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Mushy Mushy's Avatar
 

I bought a ticket to China to collect a Virus. Turns out I misread the email.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 

I didn’t make the purchase technically, but my work bought lunch yesterday because “our” team is in the super ball tomorrow. They got jimmy johns, and it was even more disappointing than I remember.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #13
Gear Head
 

I suspect there will be regrets soon. Korg Arp 2600 Reissue - $4000 for a 3 oscillator mono/duo synth that is a clone of something from 50 years ago. Right.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Mushy Mushy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecaruption View Post
I suspect there will be regrets soon. Korg Arp 2600 Reissue - $4000 for a 3 oscillator mono/duo synth that is a clone of something from 50 years ago. Right.
No ragrets.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Robo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
No ragrets.
How about regrats?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Mushy Mushy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
How about regrats?
Works too I guess. Would prefer a regmouse though.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Robo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
Works too I guess. Would prefer a regmouse though.
I like it. Good sport!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #18
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
Would prefer a reggae mouse though.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
breakmixer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
How about regrats?
No Rugrats!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 
breakmixer's Avatar
 

My worst purchase of 2020 was the Microfreak, because it was faulty and had to send it back. I'm thinking of buying another but first checking other options(Argon8, Wave state, Hydrasynth, MegaFM, Liven 8bits), I want something digital/hybrid, not another full analog, ideally it would be an SQ-80 type module/clone - but that ain't gonna happen any time soon, if at all). No room for the real SQ-80 or ESQ-1.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #21
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMusician View Post
The Jupiter Xm was my first reaction reading this thread as my worst recent purchase.
What didn't you like about it?

I had no real interest in it until I saw the Synthmania review video where he compares his real Jupiter 8 and Juno with the XM. Sounded pretty much exactly the same, or at least as close as any new real analog clone of them would sound next to a 30-40 year old unit.

I would mainly be using it as a module making layers of the different Analog Models and mixing them with the XV rompler sounds. I do this with my Integra and think it would be a great compliment
Old 2 weeks ago
  #22
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
What didn't you like about it?

I had no real interest in it until I saw the Synthmania review video where he compares his real Jupiter 8 and Juno with the XM. Sounded pretty much exactly the same, or at least as close as any new real analog clone of them would sound next to a 30-40 year old unit.

I would mainly be using it as a module making layers of the different Analog Models and mixing them with the XV rompler sounds. I do this with my Integra and think it would be a great compliment

All I can say is the hour long test I had with one at GAK located south UK, I found the sound to be great, actually more than great, the filter models are amazing, the effects really top draw, the build quality is superb, built in speakers nice.

The UI is awful !!!

You realise when using an instrument like this nothing matters if you can't use it properly, the interface is a real drag, nothing is nice about it compared to say a Roland S8 !
Old 2 weeks ago
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Rezisehtnys's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
No Rugrats!
That's where you're wrong:
https://nickelodeon.fandom.com/wiki/...020_TV_series)

Also, we do have nanobots in the research and development phase so better watch out!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #24
Gear Addict
 
FlyingMusician's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
What didn't you like about it?

I had no real interest in it until I saw the Synthmania review video where he compares his real Jupiter 8 and Juno with the XM. Sounded pretty much exactly the same, or at least as close as any new real analog clone of them would sound next to a 30-40 year old unit.

I would mainly be using it as a module making layers of the different Analog Models and mixing them with the XV rompler sounds. I do this with my Integra and think it would be a great compliment
IMO it's just poorly implemented. The unit is constantly in a state where some buttons work, others don't, some are doing double duty, etc. based on the synth you choose.

So let's say you start making a sound with the Juno. You are looking at knobs and labels that don't apply to your synth, which doesn't help with sound design. And all of the models have the same basic tone, so it's pointless to even have models. IOW, there is no tone that the Xm Juno can make that the Xm Jupiter can't, so the Xm Juno is pointless. It's gimmicky.

The sound is fine, but then again so is the Roland Cloud or the boutiques.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #25
Three purchases this month, all good to great


My wife is developing nano tech for some top secret medical work...well its not top secret, I just never listen.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #26
Gear Head
 

Chicken Systems Translator 7
THE worst experience dealing with any company or product period.
Absolutely horrible.

The most regrettable online purchase I have ever made.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSoundExplorer View Post
Chicken Systems Translator 7
THE worst experience dealing with any company or product period.
Absolutely horrible.

The most regrettable online purchase I have ever made.
I ALMOST bought it when it was half off around Black Friday but the past made me wait, especially since there is STILL no demo to even try out. Sounds like nothing has changed, and there is still no way I would drop that kinda money for that kind of product.


So far worst purchase of the year was the bunch of 3' TS cables I bought a couple weeks ago. Things were too damn short to go from rack to rack and the minute I pulled out one of my patch bays to rearrange something, I yanked my Boss SE-50 inside my rack (the jacks on those Neutriks do not mess around)! Had to rebuy all of em, figured the 3' ones will come in handy in the FRONT of the patch bay later.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #28
Lives for gear
 
RetroFunk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSoundExplorer View Post
Chicken Systems Translator 7
THE worst experience dealing with any company or product period.
Absolutely horrible.

The most regrettable online purchase I have ever made.
This is why I am compelled to issue the standard warning with this person/company. I got bit years ago and learned the guy behaves badly with many other people. Buy from Chi Sys at your own peril.
Old 1 week ago
  #29
Dang I've already got 3 strikes and it's only mid February so far. The Aphex EQF 500 pair I bought was also a bogus buy. One works fine. The other one somehow interferes with the other modules in the rack causing them to have no sound. It also pops quite loudly when switching its bypass buttons. The one that does work sounds not much better than the tone controls on a budget stereo from the 90s. Both units are being scrapped. Their very nice Jensen transformers are going into a project I'm building. So no loss here. The trannys new would have cost $10 more than I paid for the EQs.

Strike 3 is the Yamaha GC2020 I picked up from a Craigslist seller over the weekend. It appears to be stuck permanently in bypass. The seller must have really hated the sound of it

Anyway it's likely a simple fix and I spend more on a bottle of booze than I paid for the compressor.

I guess it could be worse....
Old 1 week ago
  #30
Gear Addict
 
kwaping's Avatar
So glad I finally opened this thread.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump