The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Worst Purchase of 2020
Old 14th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping View Post
So glad I finally opened this thread.
So glad you posted an unfunny comment in it.
Old 14th February 2020
Three cases of Fresca peach-flavor (I thought it was regular Fresca).
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Okay, to make up for that last comment, I will tell you my 7yo child's current favorite joke...

What's 1+1?

Window.
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

I bought a leaky snow globe off of a Peruvian centipede who had a stack of them on a funky wooden cart. He said it would bring me luck and good fortune but it only brought pain and misery. It started leaking in a taxicab and the driver threw me out on a lonely cobblestone alley cos he didn't want fake snow and snow globe juice on his leopard skin seat covers. A guy living in a cardboard box on that little alley was singing the most beautiful version of 'A Taste of Honey' from under a soaking wet newspaper and it made me realize I've done nothing with my life. By now the snow globe was empty and I was filled with sadness at the melancholy beauty of the strange mans song. I found a cardboard box of my own and settled in for the night. In the wee hours of the morning a street sweeper came by bouncing and creaking on the cobblestone alley and spraying steam in all the stinky crevices. The jets tore my sad little shelter to smithereens and I was left there alone, my neighbor having left during the night. The morning crew at the Lithuanian restaurant I was sleeping behind told me the people who stay on the street always leave late on Tuesday night because the street sweeper always comes in the wee hours the next day, destroying all cardboard temporary housing. I live there now but at least I know not to stay on Tuesday nights. I should have never purchased that snow globe.
Old 14th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORCHESTRION View Post
All I can say is the hour long test I had with one at GAK located south UK, I found the sound to be great, actually more than great, the filter models are amazing, the effects really top draw, the build quality is superb, built in speakers nice.

The UI is awful !!!

You realise when using an instrument like this nothing matters if you can't use it properly, the interface is a real drag, nothing is nice about it compared to say a Roland S8 !
I watched the Loopop review and it seems that there is a ton of menu diving involved. Plus I'm not interested in mini keys.

The X might be better, though more pricey.
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Couldn't you just've put Komoreebi on a send?
Most things like that I never use the wet/dry mix. It goes on a send with mix at 100% wet and the mix knob never gets touched again.
Old 14th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman9 View Post
wow! Back in high school i wrote a crappy sci-fi short story about hackers that hacked into ubiquitous industrial nanotechnology and sent the nanobots off on a molecular level ravenous rampage. The nanobots were fairly generic units with some basic safety protocols. One of which was deactivate upon going below sea level. I guess to prevent them from contaminating the water supply or tunneling into the planet's core and reproducing geometrically while feeding off the energy of the earth until it ran out. So anyway the survivors of the nano-apocalypse were people trapped underground at the time the nanobots came and deconstructed everything around them and turned it to sand. These were people riding the subways, digging tunnels for public water projects, people in basements etc.
There was a horrific outbreak of cannibalism within the chesapeake bay bridge tunnel where hundreds of survivors ran out of road trip snacks and resorted to snacking on each other with no hope of rescue coming.
Eventually the survivors discovered a particular frequency of high voltage electrical arc discharges could kill the nanobots and started trying to reclaim the sandy desert of what remained of the surface of the planet. Then they came into conflict with what remained of the military who'd also figured out the bot killing mechanism. In the end end a survivor who was a hacker reprogrammed the nanobots to build forests and they turned the entire continent into one unbroken virgin forest from coast to coast. The end. That was from 1988. It was set to take place in 2021.

Hehehe! We don't even have nanobots yet! Instead we got facebook

And sadly we also got an expensive bbd modulation pedal with no wet/dry mix control. Wtf? It's 2020! Fine i can accept no nanobots but how do you leave out a mix control on a modulation effects pedal in this day and age????

Dreadbox komoreebi is the worst purchase of 2020 so far. Shame. It sounded good but without being able to add some dry signal back in it was just overpowering and muffled sounding. Back it goes!
And the patch points were frankly useless. Modulating the parameters of a bbd with a sequencer or whatever is so pointless. They should have put in a mix control instead of useless patch points.

When the nanobots hit next year i won't be sending them details about the nanobot death machine.
best post ever!!!

you sir are my NEW official GS hero!!!
Old 14th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
Couldn't you just've put Komoreebi on a send?
Most things like that I never use the wet/dry mix. It goes on a send with mix at 100% wet and the mix knob never gets touched again.
Technically yes. But then it has to stay close to the mixer. If I want to play with it on a synth on the other side of the room such as the AX80 I can't just plop it on top of that synth without trailing 2 25 foot long audio cables along with it across the room. The point of it being a stompbox is defeated. I like to go and play my various instruments in place. A pedal ought to be portable so that it works independently of the studio infrastructure.
I also enjoy playing synths through guitar/bass amps. Especially the AX80. But in this I'd have to run the pedal on a send and then route a mix output from the mixer to the amp. Now it's 3 cables back and forth connecting gear powered from different outlets and an amp, that's just asking for ground loop problems.
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
Technically yes. But then it has to stay close to the mixer. If I want to play with it on a synth on the other side of the room such as the AX80 I can't just plop it on top of that synth without trailing 2 25 foot long audio cables along with it across the room. The point of it being a stompbox is defeated. I like to go and play my various instruments in place. A pedal ought to be portable so that it works independently of the studio infrastructure.
I also enjoy playing synths through guitar/bass amps. Especially the AX80. But in this I'd have to run the pedal on a send and then route a mix output from the mixer to the amp. Now it's 3 cables back and forth connecting gear powered from different outlets and an amp, that's just asking for ground loop problems.
I've never had any modulation pedal with no wet/dry mix. I can't understand that design decision, the pedal is useless for guitarists and most folks buying it for synths will be very disappointed. Weird.
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping View Post
Okay, to make up for that last comment, I will tell you my 7yo child's current favorite joke...

What's 1+1?

Window.
I thought it was potato.
Old 14th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe View Post
I've never had any modulation pedal with no wet/dry mix. I can't understand that design decision, the pedal is useless for guitarists and most folks buying it for synths will be very disappointed. Weird.
Possibly another case of gee-whiz features chosen over basic functionality when it comes to cost cutting decisions. You can see this alot with new products lately.
This pedal is categorically similar to the Mazda 5 Minivan. A van based on a compact car making it too small to be useful as a van and too large to be considered a compact car. I always have to stop and scratch my head when I see one.
Old 14th February 2020
@ Hollowman9 : wait a sec, i don't quite understand the original problem with the Dreadbox pedal ... you say it outputs only wet? and you can't get any dry into the signal? hmmm, that sounds like a broken pedal to me.

i mean, it is a bbd chorus/flanger pedal and this effect is achieved only by mixing the dry signal with the wet (modulated short bbd delay) output. chorus effect as such does not exist as "wet only". then you hear vibrato only.

so not suprisingly, traditionally most bbd chorus and flanger pedals have had fixed dry wet ratio. (well, in fact same with phasers too). aprox seven gazillion of them in past five 40+ yrs: from Boss CE-1/2/3, Dod fx60/65, Ibanez CS, Dim C, EHX Small Clone & Clone Theory, Mistress, MXR Mini Chorus .. and on and on. there are two less frequent exceptions to this:

+pedals that offer switch for kill dry: you no longer have a chorus effect, hence usually designated a "vibrato" mode.

+chorus pedals that have "effect level" control: on min its dry only. on max you have 50/50 i.e. the strongest viable "chorus" setting.

in pedal world, most flangers and choruses (and phasers) are meant to be used as insert effects. ones that allow for wet only so you can use them on aux bus are but a few, and its more common option with studio and rack gear: for example my mxr126 can go wet only or dry only. ditto for digital gear.

so the problem you have with the Komeorabi does not compute with the above. unless its broken.

anways, for me, its too early in 2020,... did miss two incredible deals on ebay, gear i am searching for forever. banging my head over this. so far, this is the "worst" thing that happened gear wise. but i am getting ready to buy some new gear soon..

so who knows, if i seriously fvck up, i'll make sure to post back here
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

it's early, but so far worst purchase of 2020 is the Korg Wavestate.

other purchases this year which I have been impressed/satisfied with are Behringer K-2, Pro-1 and RD-8, Source Audio Nemesis, Strymon Volante, Boss VT-1, Electrix Warp Factory and Alesis Metavox.
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraeus000 View Post
it's early, but so far worst purchase of 2020 is the Korg Wavestate.

other purchases this year which I have been impressed/satisfied with are Behringer K-2, Pro-1 and RD-8, Source Audio Nemesis, Strymon Volante, Boss VT-1, Electrix Warp Factory and Alesis Metavox.

Interested to hear your views / experiences with the Wavestate and why you consider it a bad purchase
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidDisco View Post
Interested to hear your views / experiences with the Wavestate and why you consider it a bad purchase
I’ve actually gotten into it a little bit in the wavestate thread. I don’t think it’s worth $800, not even close. Shoddy construction, terrible keybed, the sound quality does not come close to the original wavestations in my opinion. I think there are much better ways of spending your money at that price range. Argon 8, Hydrasynth desktop, Dreadbox Medusa, Minilogue XD, etc. Or if one is just looking for a wavestation, to buy a used Wavestation A/D or SR, etc. I will probably keep it though.
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Nut

The wavestate should have been minilogue money .
Old 15th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
@ Hollowman9 : wait a sec, i don't quite understand the original problem with the Dreadbox pedal ... you say it outputs only wet? and you can't get any dry into the signal? hmmm, that sounds like a broken pedal to me.

i mean, it is a bbd chorus/flanger pedal and this effect is achieved only by mixing the dry signal with the wet (modulated short bbd delay) output. chorus effect as such does not exist as "wet only". then you hear vibrato only.

so not suprisingly, traditionally most bbd chorus and flanger pedals have had fixed dry wet ratio. (well, in fact same with phasers too). aprox seven gazillion of them in past five 40+ yrs: from Boss CE-1/2/3, Dod fx60/65, Ibanez CS, Dim C, EHX Small Clone & Clone Theory, Mistress, MXR Mini Chorus .. and on and on. there are two less frequent exceptions to this:

+pedals that offer switch for kill dry: you no longer have a chorus effect, hence usually designated a "vibrato" mode.

+chorus pedals that have "effect level" control: on min its dry only. on max you have 50/50 i.e. the strongest viable "chorus" setting.

in pedal world, most flangers and choruses (and phasers) are meant to be used as insert effects. ones that allow for wet only so you can use them on aux bus are but a few, and its more common option with studio and rack gear: for example my mxr126 can go wet only or dry only. ditto for digital gear.

so the problem you have with the Komeorabi does not compute with the above. unless its brokl:
Yeah it's broken by design. A quick search on chorus pedals turns up dozens of units with chorus level, mix, wet/dry etc. controls. A few such as Dimension D or Juno clones have no controls at all but generally speaking a mix control of one kind or another is standard practice. What the intention was for leaving it out of the DB pedal is anyone's guess. Maybe making it a studio type processor in a stomp sounded like a great idea to someone who couldn't possibly be bothered to consider the actual usability of it.

I think alot of products are being introduced that exhibit a total lack of understanding about its practical application and use by actual end users that are musicians. Almost as though no musicians were consulted during the design stage and the laboratory geeks designed something that made sense to them instead. Or perhaps they're targeting a niche genre and forgot to mention to the public what it is.
Or they're just clueless. I don't know. Just like the Mazda 5 Minivan. Who's the target group? Does that target group exist in the real world or was the group a statistical gap in the consumer reports?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search