Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   The Korg Arp 2600 FS *Actual Owners* Thread (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1296644-korg-arp-2600-fs-actual-owners-thread.html)

Inception7 20th November 2020 08:19 PM

Always followed this thread from the shadows. Was on the list. Didn't get lucky as these dribbled out like Unicorns tears. I was expecting (now that they are in the hands of many) a tsuanmi of new, weird and wonderfull demos, experiments, lunacy etc. Not that people are obligated, but it's a little disheartening the lack of what been put forth so far on the 'tubes.

Seen a lot come up for sale but no one is sticking an extra 2K in the pockets of flippers. It's good - But deff not THAT good.

Anyone wanna recreate some Depeche Mode sequences with theirs to show it off??

Jamie munro 20th November 2020 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inception7 (Post 15120030)
Always followed this thread from the shadows. Was on the list. Didn't get lucky as these dribbled out like Unicorns tears. I was expecting (now that they are in the hands of many) a tsuanmi of new, weird and wonderfull demos, experiments, lunacy etc. Not that people are obligated, but it's a little disheartening the lack of what been put forth so far on the 'tubes.

Seen a lot come up for sale but no one is sticking an extra 2K in the pockets of flippers. It's good - But deff not THAT good.

Wouldn't any Korg arp do that aural hit for you?

Same machine, different size

Inception7 20th November 2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie munro (Post 15120061)
Wouldn't any Korg arp do that aural hit for you?

Same machine, different size

Yeah but the look and feel of that FS though. Incredible. Just to be around it, touch it. Quite the thing of beauty. Sounds are easy to come by (these days aproximating etc) but it's all about the contact with something and the feeling. You can't recreate that. Said I woudn't but really I'll be all over that Korg Mini 2600 when they release it. It's a visual thing and man on machine. Interaction.

piazzolla 20th November 2020 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inception7 (Post 15120030)

https://www.facebook.com/764928928/p...7975160938929/

jason moyer 21st November 2020 08:21 AM

Wasn't that bassline layered with a Minimoog? AFAIK the actual "bass" is a mini, and the higher bit with the modulating filter is a 2600.

Jamie munro 21st November 2020 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inception7 (Post 15120091)
Yeah but the look and feel of that FS though. Incredible. Just to be around it, touch it. Quite the thing of beauty. Sounds are easy to come by (these days aproximating etc) but it's all about the contact with something and the feeling. You can't recreate that. Said I woudn't but really I'll be all over that Korg Mini 2600 when they release it. It's a visual thing and man on machine. Interaction.

Ag Sorry, I was focusing my reply on your request for the sound

So they stopped selling them then. Huh

talos1 21st November 2020 10:11 PM

ok I'm freaking out. I turned on my 2600 just now, and all the oscillators are completely drifting like mad. I don't know if it's because I had a space heater near it but it's not in tune at all. Any one else come across this?? What do I do? I got it from Guitar Center....

Here's a video with the drifting issue. Does anyone know how I can try to repair it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arfOl1GVKnM

I thought this was marketed as having modern components that will never need to be in a repair shop and will always stay in tune. I'm trying to call Guitar Center and they keep putting me on hold. I don't even know how this will work. I drop it off at my nearest Guitar Center and they kick it around?

John_McEnroe 21st November 2020 10:44 PM

Thought I missed the boat on this but just got an email from perfect circuit that a 2600 was available for me if I wanted it... should have it next week. Seems like a lot of people having issues though so I’m a bit concerned.

piazzolla 21st November 2020 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason moyer (Post 15120970)
Wasn't that bassline layered with a Minimoog? AFAIK the actual "bass" is a mini, and the higher bit with the modulating filter is a 2600.

Yes. It’s layered with a model d in that video too. I made them play simultaneously though. Both triggered by midi.

mike_solar 23rd November 2020 09:05 PM

I received a Karp 2600 from Perfect Circuit last week on Thursday. After one day of use I returned it since the ADSR and ARs weren't working. Just this morning (it's Monday) after testing, they have acknowledged it is faulty. The ADSR/AR do not trigger on the VCA, etc. and they stated that it had to do with the trigger not working on the keyboard. Now waiting for word from Korg for a replacement or fix hopefully soon. I otherwise had one marvelous day with the unit, even without the envelopes working and now four days without it.... I would assume this is a result of a lack of QC.

cereyanlimusiki 24th November 2020 02:21 PM

Hi All

Hope everybody is healthy and fine.

Now hearing all these stories that some units are faulty ( reverb tank , power , VCA , VCO issues )

Is there any test procedure that you can recommend for through testing of the unit that I can follow ?

I also have another question. Headphone socket signal is too hot for my headphones ( senheiser HD-25 IIc 70ohm ). Is there anyway that you suggest the control the volume ?

Thanks

dannyf 26th November 2020 11:30 PM

turn down the inputs into the VCA ?

John_McEnroe 27th November 2020 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_solar (Post 15126875)
I received a Karp 2600 from Perfect Circuit last week on Thursday. After one day of use I returned it since the ADSR and ARs weren't working. Just this morning (it's Monday) after testing, they have acknowledged it is faulty. The ADSR/AR do not trigger on the VCA, etc. and they stated that it had to do with the trigger not working on the keyboard. Now waiting for word from Korg for a replacement or fix hopefully soon. I otherwise had one marvelous day with the unit, even without the envelopes working and now four days without it.... I would assume this is a result of a lack of QC.

Wow that really sucks. I’ve got mine coming from perfect circuit next week. Hope it’s not a fault stricken batch. Very aggravating on such a huge unit that isn’t that simple to just drop on the mail. Hope they get you sorted quickly.

Lazerbrains 27th November 2020 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_McEnroe (Post 15134365)
Hope it’s not a fault stricken batch. .

Hope so too. Just saw this the other day though:

talos1 27th November 2020 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazerbrains (Post 15134615)
Hope so too. Just saw this the other day though:

yeah this is mine. I posted a few posts earlier about this issue. It's still occurring. It clears up every now and then, but I need to get this taken care of. Oscillator 1 is having an issue with tracking. It won't produce a regular scale. It has nothing to do with warming up either because I could leave it for 30+ minutes and it would still have the issue. I tried a different outlet thinking it's the voltage from the outlet, but it isn't. I believe there's some voltage issue on the inside causing it to lose tracking. I'm going to try and get Korg USA on the line and see how they can repair it. I'm not taking it to a Guitar Center so Joe Shmoe can kick it around in the back. It has to be serviced by a professional.

mike_solar 27th November 2020 05:51 AM

Perfect Circuit has actually been pretty good about handling this. They refunded and put me back in front of the queue and also said there would be more units coming in. They also acknowledged there have been units that have had problems and this was not the first one... I live close enough - maybe I can test it in their warehouse before taking it home this time around. Have already made two trips there with the faulty unit. Hope yours has no issues!!

lindelltodd 28th November 2020 09:23 PM

Just received my replacement reverb tank from Korg, my original arrived with the springs detached (broken) at one end . Nice surprise, didn't realize it had been sent yet!

Got it installed and working great. Pretty easy swap, remove the handle from the top of the cabinet, the 6 faceplate screws (3 on each side), and the anchor screw on the bottom. Just have to be careful removing the main faceplate from the cabinet as the connectors from the boards to the power/midi etc. aren't very long and it's a little cumbersome.

Korg was responsive and apologetic throughout the wait, took about 2 months for them to get the tanks in stock at the US service center. The tank in the unit is an Asian market only tank, although there are compatible alternatives (discussed earlier in this thread) that can be found here.

John_McEnroe 30th November 2020 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_solar (Post 15126875)
I received a Karp 2600 from Perfect Circuit last week on Thursday. After one day of use I returned it since the ADSR and ARs weren't working. Just this morning (it's Monday) after testing, they have acknowledged it is faulty. The ADSR/AR do not trigger on the VCA, etc. .

So... I just got mine from perfect circuit this morning and I am wondering if I have the same issue as you. Cant control the VCA whatsoever... ADSR works on the filter as expected. I am not a veteran of the 2600 so I am open to the idea that it is user error. Is there a simple way too test this? Again... it might be something im doing wrong.

mike_solar 30th November 2020 08:36 PM

One thing to check: make sure the latch button/switch on the keyboard is not engaged.... On mine, the S&H worked so the envelopes were clearly functional. Seemed to be more of an issue with how the keyboard triggers the envelopes/vca. They said everything works fine when internally patched as well. Hope all goes okay for you!!

John_McEnroe 30th November 2020 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_solar (Post 15141963)
One thing to check: make sure the latch button/switch on the keyboard is not engaged.... On mine, the S&H worked so the envelopes were clearly functional. Seemed to be more of an issue with how the keyboard triggers the envelopes/vca. They said everything works fine when internally patched as well. Hope all goes okay for you!!

Hey thanks for the reply. I do have latch off on the keyboard (first thing I tried). I cycled power a few times with the keyboard unattached before reattaching it and I think I may have it working now. Followed the basic init patch from the manual and I have the main ADSR affecting the VCA now, so I don't want to jump to any conclusions that its a faulty unit. Need to read the manual. I do appreciate your help so thanks!

Mr Sombrero 30th November 2020 10:34 PM

The reprinted manual it originally shipped with and patch notes are great, highly recommend reading. Will clear up any uncertainty.

dublave 1st December 2020 08:17 PM

*Nothing to see here*

Lazerbrains 1st December 2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dublave (Post 15144049)
For anyone interested I think I'm probably going to pick up an Anasounds Element pedal (spring reverb amp) with an Accutronics 4eb3c1b (saw this mentioned in the Korg 2600 thread as the closest replacement tank for it available in the US) to use instead of the sh*t digital spring emulation these come with.

What are you talking about? There is a real spring reverb inside the 2600.

*edit* - I think you meant to post this in another thread.... this is the Korg 2600 thread.

dublave 1st December 2020 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazerbrains (Post 15144108)
What are you talking about? There is a real spring reverb inside the 2600.

*edit* - I think you meant to post this in another thread.... this is the Korg 2600 thread.

Oopsy wrong thread :facepalm:

Mouls Vern 2nd December 2020 01:01 AM

Yeah, I don't know about you guys, but the tuning on the 2600 is horrible at best. I'm having problems even within the same octave. Forget about the upper octaves.
I wonder if it's the keyboard that's inconsistent because I'll have four octaves of a C note almost perfectly tuned, but the one in the middle will be way off. I'm starting to wonder what I got myself into...

Lazerbrains 2nd December 2020 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouls Vern (Post 15144654)
Yeah, I don't know about you guys, but the tuning on the 2600 is horrible at best. I'm having problems even within the same octave. Forget about the upper octaves.
I wonder if it's the keyboard that's inconsistent because I'll have four octaves of a C note almost perfectly tuned, but the one in the middle will be way off. I'm starting to wonder what I got myself into...

Have you tried using a midi keyboard? Should help you figure out if it's the keyboard or the unit...

Mouls Vern 2nd December 2020 03:14 AM

Yeah just tried it with a midi keyboard, and I'm getting the result. I hope someone posts a good video on how to tune this thing properly.

Just turning it on and off changes the tuning.

funkpirateradio 2nd December 2020 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouls Vern (Post 15144813)
Yeah just tried it with a midi keyboard, and I'm getting the result. I hope someone posts a good video on how to tune this thing properly.

Just turning it on and off changes the tuning.

All 3 VCOs track the same?

If you wanted to try calibrating it, the trimpots are accessible by removing the rubber plugs on the front panel, they are in the same location as the original, so you can use the 2600 service manual as reference. The VCO tuning procedure is pretty much the same as other analog synths - adjust volts/octave, adjust frequency, and there is an additional trimmer for high frequency tracking.

Mouls Vern 2nd December 2020 05:37 AM

Yeah, the Volts/Octave trimpot adjustment is not helping. Do you have any idea what the symmetry trimpot does?

And for the high-freq. track adjustment, there are no trimpots to turn. There is nothing in the holes of all three OSC.

I guess I will have to get a voltmeter and test the power supply like the manual says.

Thanks for your help.

funkpirateradio 2nd December 2020 06:19 AM

Ha, yes I just looked on mine too and there are no high frequency trimpots... perhaps they were not needed in the FS but kept the front panel hole for aesthetics. Symmetry should be for adjusting of the triangle waveshape.

If it is indeed faulty, maybe you can contact your dealer or Korg for support? I have seen one report where someone had a faulty VCO 1 board replaced.