Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   The Korg Arp 2600 FS *Actual Owners* Thread (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1296644-korg-arp-2600-fs-actual-owners-thread.html)

dannyf 10th November 2020 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicncars (Post 15097399)
I was mucking about and my adsr envelope wasn’t working, but then I made a patch in the book it was fine....in my end, definitely probably user error.

Can you apply my instructions to your patch and let me know what happens?

lindelltodd 10th November 2020 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Sombrero (Post 15097280)
I’ve seen you post that exact sentence so many times in ‘many’ threads, at this point it’s smelling a bit whiffy.

If you want to be constructive rather than just spreading misinformation then you need to say more than just ‘read it on another forum’.

And what the f has this thread got to do with Moog.

"Many" damaged reverbs is probably a little exaggerated, but based on the stories I've read on this and other forums (as well as my own reverb arriving broken-springs completely detached) I would say "several" is an accurate representation. The Belton reverb that they are using is specifically for the Asian market, the exact tank is not available in the US, not sure about Europe.

Different folks have gotten different replies from Korg. I was told that the reverb tank is out of stock currently, but they would provide me with a replacement when they receive more. In the meantime, I purchased an Accutronics replacement 4EB3C1B for $20 which is working great.

I'm in the US, and get very minimal added noise (not really noticable) when the reverb is cranked.

jdkJake 10th November 2020 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyf (Post 15097387)
Let's try this....

Get a basic sound going first....do whatever you want.

In your ADSR envelope set all sliders to 0.
In your AR envelope set Attack to 0, Release to 100%

Then in your VCA section set...
VCF - 100%
AR - 100%
ADSR - 0%

Are you hearing the ADSR envelope or the AR envelope?

Do you get any sound at all?

If not try changing the AR. Then try changing the ADSR.

Let me know the results...

Filter cutoff wide open (slider fully right) with the ADSR control voltage slider at 0%?

Just want to be sure we are taking the ADSR completely out of the filter control section and isolating it to just the VCA.

Mouls Vern 10th November 2020 06:04 AM

I was one of those that received a 2600 with a damaged reverb tank. They initially wanted me to send it back for repair, but I refused. Shipping this thing back and forth would have probably damaged it even more. I figured I'd just buy a replacement for 20-30 dollars and be done with it. Well as I was about to install the replacement, a FedEx truck shows up and drops off a box from Korg. They actually sent me a replacement spring reverb tank. Had given up on Korg, but they did come through. Thanks Korg! Bought my 2600 from Sweetwater.

funkpirateradio 10th November 2020 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicncars (Post 15097399)
I was mucking about and my adsr envelope wasn’t working, but then I made a patch in the book it was fine....in my end, definitely probably user error.

Yeah it's a good idea to try some patches from the book, as the linear and exponential inputs to the VCA shape the sound differently. Sometimes I find the exponential ADSR decay too snappy so I patch it into the linear jack. Vice versa you can patch the AR to have exponential response instead of the default linear.

Patch 18 - Big Bass Drum from the Arp 2600 patch book is a good example of this - it only uses the ADSR envelope but with both the linear and exponential VCA. The exponential creates the clicky attack of the drum while the linear creates the body and decay.

dannyf 10th November 2020 02:02 PM

Hi again. My stupid fault. I had latch on the 3620 keyboard which was causing my "problems" with the A/R envelope. All good now!

Revel 12th November 2020 01:01 AM

I dont understand why Korg would do years of R&D for a product they only release 400 units of. Seems like poor ROI but I am not in business.

orangecaruption 12th November 2020 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revel (Post 15101940)
I dont understand why Korg would do years of R&D for a product they only release 400 units of. Seems like poor ROI but I am not in business.

What R&D? This is a 50 year old 3 osc mono synth so it's most definitely not new groundbreaking tech. What R&D would be needed for a dial up modem or fax machine in 2020?

Stellaris 12th November 2020 01:21 AM

Quote:

I believe they only made 50 units actually!

And all the time, they spend on thinking how to fill the size of the original with these tiny SMD components. But they ended up with a strike of genius. Also, scarifying 100 ball pens to harvest the stereo spring for the reverbs. R&D at the best.

Revel 12th November 2020 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangecaruption (Post 15101950)
What R&D? This is a 50 year old 3 osc mono synth so it's most definitely not new groundbreaking tech. What R&D would be needed for a dial up modem or fax machine in 2020?

Just quoting what came from Korg themselves. Just because something is old, doesn't mean it magically pops out of thin air.

funkpirateradio 12th November 2020 03:33 AM

Quote:

I don't think Korg has ever stated the official number of how many will be produced. The 400 figure came from dealers (Syntaur website for example), but by now there are posts and photos from users with serial numbers in the 1100+ range.

There is also the 2600 mini from the leaked SQ-64 image, so it appears the R&D is not wasted on only the FS.

crumb bumb 12th November 2020 04:23 PM

Anyone here using a hardware CV sequencer with their 2600 other than the 3620? I saw mention of the SQ-1 and some interfacing issues, but this thread has gotten cumbersome and hard to search effectively.

I'm waffling back and forth between picking up an Antonus Step Brother vs. spending a lot more and building a comparable/better Eurorack setup (sequencer, clock divider, envelope(s), and LFO(s)) in one of the Antonus cases. If only the Step Brother had a step-repeat setup like the Metropolis/M-185, I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

DEVO1982 13th November 2020 03:43 AM

So for the unlucky few (of us...) who have received their 2600’s from Korg damaged or with a problem with their unit, how fast have you received replacement parts or are you still waiting?
I’m personally still waiting a replacement case :facepalm:

Xmit 13th November 2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Anyone here using a hardware CV sequencer with their 2600 other than the 3620? I saw mention of the SQ-1 and some interfacing issues, but this thread has gotten cumbersome and hard to search effectively.
So far I've sequenced mine from an SQ-1 & a Moog Subharmonicon.

Worked great, but I did need to boost the Gate level on both ( either via the Voltage Processor or the External Preamp )

I haven't tried using CV out yet from my Beatstep Pro - guess that's next.

spacboy 13th November 2020 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEVO1982 (Post 15104195)
So for the unlucky few (of us...) who have received their 2600’s from Korg damaged or with a problem with their unit, how fast have you received replacement parts or are you still waiting?
I’m personally still waiting a replacement case :facepalm:

I'm still waiting for mine too.

Oxix52 13th November 2020 07:37 PM

I recently got a keystep 37. You can configure its gate to output 5 or 12 volts. When set to 12 volts, it triggers both the AD and ADSR envelopes on my 2600. Works great!

DEVO1982 16th November 2020 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacboy (Post 15105261)
I'm still waiting for mine too.

Sorry to hear...
We should get medals for patience kfhkh

jonnypowell 17th November 2020 09:25 AM

I'm using the Beatstep pro with great results

Xmit 17th November 2020 02:47 PM

nice one. Are you having to boost the gate out at all, or is it good to go ?

I did set my BSP so the 10V gate setting when I got it anyway, so I'm hoping it just works....

crumb bumb 17th November 2020 04:56 PM

I got out my Keystep this weekend and everything worked fine once I set the gate voltage to 12V. I was still curious about 10V, since that's the eurorack standard. I tested a Befaco Joystick (the only module I have on hand with a gate output) and it worked fine. Of course there's no documentation on what the gate voltage is on this module, so it's my guess that it's 10V considering the power rails themselves are at +/-12V.

dublave 17th November 2020 11:31 PM

Pardon me for being the idiot who steps into an incredibly large thread without reading the prior 80 pages. Are these still being sold in the US? Or have I missed the limited run already? I don't see them listed anywhere currently. I just decided I was going to sell off a bunch of my synths to consolidate with this and my new P5 Rev 4, but it looks like I may have missed that window already?

aloud 18th November 2020 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dublave (Post 15113729)
Pardon me for being the idiot who steps into an incredibly large thread without reading the prior 80 pages. Are these still being sold in the US? Or have I missed the limited run already? I don't see them listed anywhere currently. I just decided I was going to sell off a bunch of my synths to consolidate with this and my new P5 Rev 4, but it looks like I may have missed that window already?

You are about 10 months late :)

These sold out within a day back in January.

Delivery has been in drips and drabs, but I think most people have received theirs by now. A few people on here have mentioned they are still waiting for their machine.

dublave 18th November 2020 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aloud (Post 15113906)
You are about 10 months late :)

These sold out within a day back in January.

Delivery has been in drips and drabs, but I think most people have received theirs by now. A few people on here have mentioned they are still waiting for their machine.

That's what I figured. Just saw folks mentioning they were still receiving them and figured maybe there was a slight chance they were still available, maybe Korg decided to do a bigger run, but no luck I guess. Left with no other option than to wait for Behringer's clone I suppose hidz

piazzolla 18th November 2020 02:46 AM

Keep an eye on it. Sometimes dealers receive an extra unit. I got mine that way.

dublave 18th November 2020 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piazzolla (Post 15114132)
Keep an eye on it. Sometimes dealers receive an extra unit. I got mine that way.

How long ago was that?

piazzolla 19th November 2020 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dublave (Post 15114159)
How long ago was that?

July. I also have seen one available at the end of Summer at a Chicago music store. There was another music shop taking orders last week. So I think if you keep looking for it you’ll find it. Just don’t pay more than what it’s worth. I wouldn’t give my money to those flippers. Good luck!

dublave 19th November 2020 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piazzolla (Post 15116407)
July. I also have seen one available at the end of Summer at a Chicago music store. There was another music shop taking orders last week. So I think if you keep looking for it you’ll find it. Just don’t pay more than what it’s worth. I wouldn’t give my money to those flippers. Good luck!

Thank you! And if you happen to come across one please let me know! I've sent out a few emails to some smaller retailers inquiring, and I'll be keeping an eye on it. Definitely won't be buying one from a flipper because I can already barely afford the retail price.

piazzolla 19th November 2020 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dublave (Post 15116438)
Thank you! And if you happen to come across one please let me know! I've sent out a few emails to some smaller retailers inquiring, and I'll be keeping an eye on it. Definitely won't be buying one from a flipper because I can already barely afford the retail price.

Will do!

dublave 19th November 2020 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piazzolla (Post 15116659)
Will do!

Feeling a little less optimistic. I sent out a bunch of emails last night to retailers and all of the responses are that they aren't getting more or if they suspect that they are they already have long waitlists to work through of folks who have already claimed them. I'm going to continue trying for a little while longer, but it's definitely sounding a bit less promising at this point.

thisoldmike 20th November 2020 08:04 PM

Might be a long shot, but I ordered mine from Switched On in Austin TX in July. I had some doubts about their ability to get a hold of one but sure enough, it was delivered to me about 2 weeks ago.