Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   The Korg Arp 2600 FS *Actual Owners* Thread (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1296644-korg-arp-2600-fs-actual-owners-thread.html)

piazzolla 3rd November 2020 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaish (Post 15085650)
Yes please - I'm sure I'm not the only one...
kfhkh

I'll make one today. After spending some time with this new calibration, I'm liking it a lot!! It allows you to have more nuances over shaping the sound. Pretty delicious stuff. I think the Korg reissue had a lot more potential to be even better. But right now the instrument sounds definitely more vintage and closer to the original one.

piazzolla 3rd November 2020 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkJake (Post 15085740)
They probably used the original factory recommended calibration settings which advocate unity gain instead of any over driving of the filter.

Page 19 of the service manual (http://www.synthfool.com/docs/Arp/Ar...viceManual.pdf) uses the output of VCO1 to set the gain of the filter to match.

Certainly easy enough to revert if you need to reset back to factory defaults.

I still think something was off though. Because before filter type II was more resonant than type I. It should be the other way around. And I'm sure everyone was like " I can't hear that much of a difference between these two filter types but I'm gonna pretend it's ok".
Even on KARP Odyssey filter type differences are drastic. On 2600 this being so subtle didn't feel right to me quite honestly.

piazzolla 4th November 2020 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyf (Post 15086212)
I wonder if its because you might be so used to hearing old miscalibrated Arps 2600s that you believe the miscalibration to be 'correct'.

That's also very much possible. But remember; the punchy bass sound of Minimoog was also a mistake...

jdkJake 4th November 2020 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piazzolla (Post 15086157)
I still think something was off though. Because before filter type II was more resonant than type I. It should be the other way around. And I'm sure everyone was like " I can't hear that much of a difference between these two filter types but I'm gonna pretend it's ok".
Even on KARP Odyssey filter type differences are drastic. On 2600 this being so subtle didn't feel right to me quite honestly.

Well, should be easy enough to check. My scope is out on loan, I need to get it back and check it out. Should be easy enough to verify the gain setting using the procedure in the service manual. Will be interesting to see the wave shape once the gain is pushed a bit.

Might be able to get a quick measurement using a Multimeter and a sub-audio square wave as well.

piazzolla 4th November 2020 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkJake (Post 15086359)
Well, should be easy enough to check. My scope is out on loan, I need to get it back and check it out. Should be easy enough to verify the gain setting using the procedure in the service manual. Will be interesting to see the wave shape once the gain is pushed a bit.

Might be able to get a quick measurement using a Multimeter and a sub-audio square wave as well.

That would be awesome. I don't have any of those gears.

rpoly 5th November 2020 11:29 AM

kfhkh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiQTkDPQq4o

talos1 7th November 2020 03:37 AM

I haven't been on here in a while. Sadly I get to play my ARP on the weekends as lately I've been coming home beat from work. I was looking for a sequencer for it, and came across this just now:

A leak of a new sequencer and a photo of the ARP 2600 mini it seems

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2020/11...2600-mini.html

Lazerbrains 7th November 2020 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talos1 (Post 15092145)
I haven't been on here in a while. Sadly I get to play my ARP on the weekends as lately I've been coming home beat from work. I was looking for a sequencer for it, and came across this just now:

A leak of a new sequencer and a photo of the ARP 2600 mini it seems

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2020/11...2600-mini.html

Already being discussed on it's own thread: Korg is making smaller 2600 after all?

funkpirateradio 7th November 2020 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkJake (Post 15086359)

Just checked my Karp with this procedure - from the factory mine is calibrated pretty close to unity gain. VCO1 square out is about 10v-pp and through the VCF output is about 11v-pp. There is range on the trimmer to adjust up to 16v-pp

Also note that increasing the gain trimpot for the filter will also make it self oscillate earlier on the resonance slider

leighzi88 7th November 2020 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazerbrains (Post 15092147)
Already being discussed on it's own thread: Korg is making smaller 2600 after all?

Hope the gate in the new korg sequencer is strong enough to trigger the 2600 - the specs say it’s max 10V.

jdkJake 7th November 2020 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkpirateradio (Post 15092183)
Just checked my Karp with this procedure - from the factory mine is calibrated pretty close to unity gain. VCO1 square out is about 10v-pp and through the VCF output is about 11v-pp. There is range on the trimmer to adjust up to 16v-pp

Also note that increasing the gain trimpot for the filter will also make it self oscillate earlier on the resonance slider

That’s a pretty large overdrive capability. Did you leave it at unity gain?

DEVO1982 8th November 2020 04:17 AM

Oh No...!!!
Did Behringer just screw up their own 2600 clone filter?
Damn, that sucks..:facepalm:

lser 9th November 2020 12:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
hey guys
I've received my Arp, serial 1121.
Great stuff but.... my spring reverb seems to be damaged
Anyone had the same issues?

http://youtu.be/pOZRy1pEJb0

aloud 9th November 2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lser (Post 15096051)
hey guys

I also received mine very recently, serial number in high 1100s, also made 07/2020 - spring reverb is fine.

dannyf 9th November 2020 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lser (Post 15096051)
hey guys

http://youtu.be/pOZRy1pEJb0

There are reports of a number of different issues. What's with quality control these days?

dannyf 9th November 2020 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aloud (Post 15096083)
I also received mine very recently, serial number in high 1100s, also made 07/2007 - spring reverb is fine.

Ahhh you must have got one of the earlier prototypes. ;)

lser 9th November 2020 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyf (Post 15096135)
There are reports of a number of different issues. What's with quality control these days?

seriously though
i mean it's supposedly limited production and handmade right? these things shouldn't slip through

dannyf 9th November 2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lser (Post 15096142)
seriously though
i mean it's supposedly limited production and handmade right? these things shouldn't slip through

I had to use a step down converter from 220/240 to 110/120... to not have lfo noise in the spring reverb ( you can hear the LFO cycles in it, a common problem )..... and in the past few days have rediscovered that my AR envelope is not working correctly ( it never has ).

In the VCA section when I put the slider up for AR only, it uses the envelope from the ADSR not the AR.

Better check yours.

Contacting my distributor as we speak to have the Korg techs fix it.... if they will even admit to anything wrong. They denied anything seemed wrong with the spring reverb/lfo noise..... there's no way to deny a malfunctioning AR envelope but I bet they will try. They were still willing to have a look though... maybe to 'secretly' fix it without openly admitting to a production issue that would have to include some kind of expensive recall / fix of many units with shipping costs!

Annoyed for sure. This is not an easy thing to ship around....maybe that's part of the issue with these. potential damage in shipping?

aloud 9th November 2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyf (Post 15096137)
Ahhh you must have got one of the earlier prototypes. ;)

🤦‍♂️I corrected it, thanks

lser 9th November 2020 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyf (Post 15096150)
I had to use a step down converter from 220/240 to 110/120... to not have lfo noise in the spring reverb ( you can hear the LFO cycles in it, a common problem )..... and in the past few days have rediscovered that my AR envelope is not working correctly ( it never has ).

In the VCA section when I put the slider up for AR only, it uses the envelope from the ADSR not the AR.

Better check yours.

Contacting my distributor as we speak to have the Korg techs fix it.... if they will even admit to anything wrong. They denied anything seemed wrong with the spring reverb/lfo noise..... there's no way to deny a malfunctioning AR envelope but I bet they will try. They were still willing to have a look though... maybe to 'secretly' fix it without openly admitting to a production issue that would have to include some kind of expensive recall / fix of many units with shipping costs!

Annoyed for sure. This is not an easy thing to ship around....maybe that's part of the issue with these. potential damage in shipping?

thanks for info - i've sent an email to thomann as well and i suppose they shall in their turn forward it to korg, and we'll see. my AR and ADSR slider's work as they should, no problem there. the only issue i have found at the moment is the spring reverb, hopefully there isn't anything else.
Our voltage here is 220/240 though so it shouldn't be a problem, right?

Lazerbrains 9th November 2020 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lser (Post 15096219)
thanks for info - i've sent an email to thomann as well and i suppose they shall in their turn forward it to korg, and we'll see. my AR and ADSR slider's work as they should, no problem there. the only issue i have found at the moment is the spring reverb, hopefully there isn't anything else.

Many of these have arrived broken and Korg is saying that the actual spring is discontinued. It is a Belton 2 spring unit (BL2). A drop in replacement would be Accutronics 4eb3c1b. It seems people are having better luck getting the dealers to remedy this than through Korg. Thomann will correct this for you.

dannyf 9th November 2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lser (Post 15096219)

You will know if its a problem because you will hear LFO cycles in your reverb. AFAIK, it was only the 220/240 units affected by the LFO noise issue. So there is a chance yours might have it...

If you do send it back, make sure they are aware that you are aware of this issue and demand it to be checked and fixed.

Otherwise you'll have to do it all over again when you get it back.

lser 10th November 2020 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazerbrains (Post 15096241)
Many of these have arrived broken and Korg is saying that the actual spring is discontinued. It is a Belton 2 spring unit (BL2). A drop in replacement would be Accutronics 4eb3c1b. It seems people are having better luck getting the dealers to remedy this than through Korg. Thomann will correct this for you.

thanks for the info
it seems to be the case - I'm waiting for a reply from Thomann

Mr Sombrero 10th November 2020 12:09 AM

I think saying ‘many’ have arrived broken is a bit of an overstatement, I’ve read most of this thread and the previous one and it’s been mostly happy customers with a few unlucky ones.

I’d hope Korg are working with dealers to properly sort any issues and look after customers, just as you’d expect with any new purchase.

Lazerbrains 10th November 2020 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Sombrero (Post 15097235)
I think saying ‘many’ have arrived broken is a bit of an overstatement, I’ve read most of this thread and the previous one and it’s been mostly happy customers with a few unlucky ones.

I’d hope Korg are working with dealers to properly sort any issues and look after customers, just as you’d expect with any new purchase.

I read it on another forum (not GS). Seems to happen in shipping. Moog had the same problem with the first batch of Grandmother.....

Mr Sombrero 10th November 2020 12:39 AM

I’ve seen you post that exact sentence so many times in ‘many’ threads, at this point it’s smelling a bit whiffy.

If you want to be constructive rather than just spreading misinformation then you need to say more than just ‘read it on another forum’.

And what the f has this thread got to do with Moog.

Lazerbrains 10th November 2020 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Sombrero (Post 15097280)
I’ve seen you post that exact sentence so many times in ‘many’ threads, at this point it’s smelling a bit whiffy.

If you want to be constructive rather than just spreading misinformation then you need to say more than just ‘read it on another forum’.

And what the f has this thread got to do with Moog.

a) I've posted it here (in response to someone having spring problems) and in exactly one other thread dedicated to spring problems in the 2600 - that's it.

b) I am intentionally not linking to a competing forum, that is just bad form. It rhymes with "duffpiggler", and you are free to look up the information on your own. It also has been reported by at least 5 people on this very thread.

c) Because it happened with Moog too - it obviously can be a problem with shipping a spring tank inside a synth, and is not just a Korg problem.

Iser has a problem, I gave him some relevant information which seems to have bore out. Not sure why this has you so agitated. This kind of information sharing is the point of forums like this. Take a breath and relax.

freshflowe

jdkJake 10th November 2020 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyf (Post 15096150)

Can you post a diagram of a patch that exhibits the issue? Perhaps a picture of the front panel settings?

If so, I can attempt to replicate the issue.

dannyf 10th November 2020 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkJake (Post 15097359)
Can you post a diagram of a patch that exhibits the issue? Perhaps a picture of the front panel settings?

If so, I can attempt to replicate the issue.

Let's try this....

Get a basic sound going first....do whatever you want.

In your ADSR envelope set all sliders to 0.
In your AR envelope set Attack to 0, Release to 100%

Then in your VCA section set...
VCF - 100%
AR - 100%
ADSR - 0%

Are you hearing the ADSR envelope or the AR envelope?

Do you get any sound at all?

If not try changing the AR. Then try changing the ADSR.

Let me know the results...

Musicncars 10th November 2020 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyf (Post 15097387)
Let's try this....

Get a basic sound going.

In your ADSR envelope set all sliders to 0.
In your AR envelope set release to max, and Attack to 20%

Then in your VCA section set...
ADSR slider to zero
AR slider to maximum

Are you hearing the ADSR envelope or the AR envelope?

Do you get any sound at all?

If not try changing the AR. Then try changing the ADSR.

Let me know the results...

I was mucking about and my adsr envelope wasn’t working, but then I made a patch in the book it was fine....in my end, definitely probably user error.