Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   The Korg Arp 2600 FS *Actual Owners* Thread (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1296644-korg-arp-2600-fs-actual-owners-thread.html)

Michailov 13th October 2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider76 (Post 15037163)
Wow, just a regular Thomann ad? Was it new or a return/B-stock? I check Thomann fairly often (though not daily) and totally missed it. I imagine it will have stayed online for just a few hours before you snatched it. Congrats!

Anyway, I've seen a couple show up here and there once in a while, it seems some units are still trickling through the supply chain...VERY slowly. Of course, only Korg knows if these are the last delayed units of the "once-in-a-lifetime" production run, or if production is still going on.

No B-stock. Original cardboard/wrapping.
I guess it was pure luck timing wise... I was browsing my wish list for euro rack modules and it stood as available. I actually transferred from my basket back in feb. but couldnt quite make ends meet. This time I didn’t let petty things get in my way.:)

And yes, only Korg knows...

winstonb 15th October 2020 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coyote14 (Post 15031836)
Just in case: I had to re-caliber my ARP2600FS. the tuning was not constant on the whole range of the keyboard. the volt/octave traking was not good.

I used this document:
http://www.synthfool.com/docs/Arp/Ar...p2600trims.gif

I removed the small rubber cap and adjusted the volt/oct setting with a philips screwdriver. It is much better now.:cowbell:

Hi there,

I have a similar issue but still have not gotten the tracking right. I can get low C and high C perfectly in tune but the middle octaves are off by up to 18 cents. Anyone else have this issue? There only seems to be 2 tuning screws per oscillator but I would expect 3 based on the diagram of the vintage ARP and other analog synths I have tuned.

aloud 15th October 2020 03:45 PM

Just been notified by Andertons (UK) that they have mine in stock. They will give me a call later to organise delivery.

Placed my order on 10 Jan, in the afternoon. Their website showed it available, and shortly after as not available, so I felt confident that they were only selling numbers they were allocated.

I knew there would be a wait time, so I left it for a couple of months, then contacted them for an update. They then informed me that Korg had now changed the number of units allocated to them, and I am no longer on the list of people with a confirmed unit, but have been put on a waiting list.

Sometime after that, they sent me a message to say they are trying to secure more stock from Korg, to at least honour the original number they were given.

About 4-6 weeks ago I sent another status request, and they informed me that I was now back on the list of confirmed orders (they didn't say if other people cancelled or whether Korg gave them more units), and finally this morning they have mine in hand!

LeChuck 17th October 2020 08:45 AM

Months later and mine is still sitting on an old end table. Anyone found any more good tables/stands that fit the 2600 and keyboard? What's everyone using?

I was thinking of picking up another IKEA table top and leg set. I normally buy the KS7150 stands, I suppose I could mount a bigger surface onto the top of one of those. Any more ideas would be great

Vinw 17th October 2020 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeChuck (Post 15045516)
Months later and mine is still sitting on an old end table. Anyone found any more good tables/stands that fit the 2600 and keyboard? What's everyone using?

I was thinking of picking up another IKEA table top and leg set. I normally buy the KS7150 stands, I suppose I could mount a bigger surface onto the top of one of those. Any more ideas would be great

Since I received mine in March I’ve been using an IKEA Kallax under the main body and a K&M 18953 (the dimensions fit exactly) under the keyboard.

The IKEA is not 100% stable but that’s because of the thick rug in my studio . But since I was able to store some stuff in it as well and that I don’t shake the ARP like hell I’m very happy with that combo.

Cheers!

dannyf 17th October 2020 10:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Jaspers works well here....

jdkJake 17th October 2020 04:35 PM

Quote:

Still using this:

https://on-stage.com/products/view/12820

c7sus 17th October 2020 04:44 PM

Quote:

I'm using an old tv stand/cabinet about 43"w x 24"d x 27"h on the opposite wall from my rack and computer and other goodies. The tv stand is solid as a rock and had a 100-pound-plus tv on it for years prior. Positioning in my room is less than ideal but it's the only real estate left in my space. I'm thinking about getting a rip of 3/4" plywood about 64" x 24" so I can put a pair of monitors and some FX within tweaking distance of the ARP. Which will probably mean adding a second patchbay on the side of the room with the ARP. And a 20-25' snake for sends and returns to computer and mixer and rack-mounted MoogerFoogers...

And the beat goes on...

Still working on an Analogue Solutions Generator. I wish I could find a Megacity in the US.

afewster 17th October 2020 05:32 PM

I originally picked up a KS8291XX stand to house both - I believe a couple of other folks are using this also - but there’s not really enough room to house both and patch with piece of mind. So I’m still using the ‘road’ case it shipped with, and the stand in front for the keyboard.

Spider76 23rd October 2020 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider76 (Post 15037163)
it seems some units are still trickling through the supply chain...VERY slowly. Of course, only Korg knows if these are the last delayed units of the "once-in-a-lifetime" production run, or if production is still going on.

Just adding to this, a retailer (not the national Korg distributor) where I'm on a waiting list unexpectedly wrote me some news about their shipments...he told they received only one unit until now, with another arriving next week and "more to come, but very slowly and without a regular schedule, we fully expect to be receiving some units until next spring-summer."

No idea if they have some basis for saying this or they are just guessing...like all of us here ;)

jonnypowell 27th October 2020 12:23 PM

Constant drone..

1 Attachment(s)
I’ve only just acquired a KARP, and for the life of me can’t work out why after the envelope has closed on the VCA I can still hear a drone from the oscillators.
No doubt I’m doing something wrong..
please look at my attached shot of the very basic patch and please let me know if I’ve missed something.

Cheers!

funkpirateradio 27th October 2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnypowell (Post 15069404)
I’ve only just acquired a KARP, and for the life of me can’t work out why after the envelope has closed on the VCA I can still hear a drone from the oscillators.
No doubt I’m doing something wrong..
please look at my attached shot of the very basic patch and please let me know if I’ve missed something.

Cheers!

The Initial Gain slider at the top right is basically opening up the VCA and that's where the droning is coming from - just turn it down to 0 kfhkh

jonnypowell 27th October 2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkpirateradio (Post 15069426)
The Initial Gain slider at the top right is basically opening up the VCA and that's where the droning is coming from - just turn it down to 0 kfhkh

Oh man, I can’t believe it was that simple.. :facepalm:
thanks for that!

On a side note, I can honestly say the KARP is the nicest sounding mono I’ve ever heard, and I’ve either owned or played all the other ones.
It’s so rich and pure sounding. I can’t compare it to the original, but I’m totally in love with its sound.

dannyf 27th October 2020 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnypowell (Post 15069503)
thanks for that!

On a side note, I can honestly say the KARP is the nicest sounding mono I’ve ever heard, and I’ve either owned or played all the other ones.
It’s so rich and pure sounding. I can’t compare it to the original, but I’m totally in love with its sound.

I agree. It sounds magical and inspirational to my ears.

The Duelist 27th October 2020 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnypowell (Post 15069404)
I’ve only just acquired a KARP, ...

Cheers!

Gratz on Getting a KARP 2600! rockout
Just Wondering what No. KARP you got and When it was Made?

saw wave analog 27th October 2020 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnypowell (Post 15069503)
thanks for that!

It really is a gorgeous, gorgeous sounding synth. I’ve played originals but they are all so crusty and dirty at this point that most of the time I’m wondering if they are even working right. Having a clean, reliable, new one is really something special.

And that spring. Oh god.

The 2600 is the best square wave bloop machine of all time- the Jupiter 4 has been dethroned to my ears.

piazzolla 3rd November 2020 05:40 AM

How to make your ARP 2600 sound better ?

I've been noticing the difference between the way my reissue arp 2600 sounds like and the vintage units. There's a distortion on the vintage units that the new one was missing. I already knew about the VCA trim modification. So I decided to do that. In addition to VCA gain trim, I also cranked up the VCF gain pots. Because it was the filter which supposed to be overdriven.

The result is now a significant difference between two filter types. Filter I is now more resonant and bubbly that Type II. Which is how it supposed to be in the first place. But it wasn't!

Also now the filter distorts a bit more when the faders are up and it makes it sound more like a 2600.
There are 2 gain pots on the VCF because of now there are 2 filter types.

Adding a video to demonstrate the audible difference.

funkpirateradio 3rd November 2020 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piazzolla (Post 15084445)
I've been noticing the difference between the way my reissue arp 2600 sounds like and the vintage units. There's a distortion on the vintage units that the new one was missing. I already knew about the VCA trim modification. So I decided to do that. In addition to VCA gain trim, I also cranked up the VCF gain pots. Because it was the filter which supposed to be overdriven.

Interesting. Looking at the original 2600 service manual the procedure is to set the VCOs input and VCF output to unity gain, probably resulting in a more tame filter sound. Cranking the VCF gain will give you the nice overdriven filter. The VCA calibration section is to measure a 10v p.p. signal on the VCA output.

Did you set yours to any specific levels or just adjust by ear till it sounds right?

piazzolla 3rd November 2020 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkpirateradio (Post 15084486)
Interesting. Looking at the original 2600 service manual the procedure is to set the VCOs input and VCF output to unity gain, probably resulting in a more tame filter sound. Cranking the VCF gain will give you the nice overdriven filter. The VCA calibration section is to measure a 10v p.p. signal on the VCA output.

Did you set yours to any specific levels or just adjust by ear till it sounds right?

I just did it by ear. On the VCA trim pot, there wasn’t that much room to increase anyway.
I wonder if cranking up these levels would damage the unit at all?
I feel like it shouldn't though...

dannyf 3rd November 2020 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piazzolla (Post 15084445)

The result is now a significant difference between two filter types. Filter I is now more resonant and bubbly that Type II. Which is how it supposed to be in the first place. But it wasn't!

Also now the filter distorts a bit more when the faders are up and it makes it sound more like a 2600.
There are 2 gain pots on the VCF because of now there are 2 filter types.

Adding a video to demonstrate the audible difference.

Why didn't you do a video of the procedure?

funkpirateradio 3rd November 2020 12:24 PM

I found this image with the location of the calibration trim pots. Access them by removing the rubber grommet on the front panel and adjusting with a screwdriver. Doing it by ear won't require any additional tools.

For the two filters on the 2600FS, there is an additional Gain, VCF Frequency and VCF V/Octave trimmer for the second filter.

I am assuming the calibration procedure is the same as in the original 2600 service manual, which can easily be found online as pdf.

jdkJake 3rd November 2020 02:29 PM

Interesting. I have been getting similar results by patching the mixer output to the preamp circuit and then back into the VCF input jack of the VCA.

Just an option to consider if someone is not totally comfortable adjusting the gain trimpots.

dannyf 3rd November 2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkpirateradio (Post 15084880)
I found this image with the location of the calibration trim pots. Access them by removing the rubber grommet on the front panel and adjusting with a screwdriver. Doing it by ear won't require any additional tools.

For the two filters on the 2600FS, there is an additional Gain, VCF Frequency and VCF V/Octave trimmer for the second filter.

I am assuming the calibration procedure is the same as in the original 2600 service manual, which can easily be found online as pdf.

Ok, thanks a bunch for this. AMAZING info. Now we are gonna get a whole bunch of unique sounding KARPS

dannyf 3rd November 2020 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piazzolla (Post 15084520)
I just did it by ear. On the VCA trim pot, there wasn’t that much room to increase anyway.
I wonder if cranking up these levels would damage the unit at all?
I feel like it shouldn't though...

On the image that was just posted I didn't see the VCA trim pot. Can you direct us to where this is?

funkpirateradio 3rd November 2020 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyf (Post 15085134)
On the image that was just posted I didn't see the VCA trim pot. Can you direct us to where this is?

It will be the ones labeled Linear Gain and Exponential gain below the Initial Gain slider

piazzolla 3rd November 2020 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkpirateradio (Post 15084880)

This is the exact pdf I used as a reference to find the filter gain trim pot. Yes on the reissue there are two filter gain pots. The extra one is for the second filter type.
I’ve noticed the big difference in filter resonance after turning up gain on both filters. This kind of makes me think that the technicians at Korg factory didn’t really have a real 2600 as a reference while they were calibrating it. Or they thought that nothing should saturate and distort on this synth.

piazzolla 3rd November 2020 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyf (Post 15084829)
Why didn't you do a video of the procedure?

I did it without filming it. Not a complicated procedure. I used the pdf file Funkpirateradio just shared above as a guideline. I can make one if you guys need it.

dannyf 3rd November 2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piazzolla (Post 15085431)
I did it without filming it. Not a complicated procedure. I used the pdf file Funkpirateradio just shared above as a guideline. I can make one if you guys need it.

If you please. It would help clear away any uncertainties about the procedure.

Jaish 3rd November 2020 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piazzolla (Post 15085431)

Yes please - I'm sure I'm not the only one...
kfhkh

jdkJake 3rd November 2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piazzolla (Post 15085424)
This is the exact pdf I used as a reference to find the filter gain trim pot. Yes on the reissue there are two filter gain pots. The extra one is for the second filter type.
I’ve noticed the big difference in filter resonance after turning up gain on both filters. This kind of makes me think that the technicians at Korg factory didn’t really have a real 2600 as a reference while they were calibrating it. Or they thought that nothing should saturate and distort on this synth.

They probably used the original factory recommended calibration settings which advocate unity gain instead of any over driving of the filter.

Page 19 of the service manual (http://www.synthfool.com/docs/Arp/Ar...viceManual.pdf) uses the output of VCO1 to set the gain of the filter to match.

Certainly easy enough to revert if you need to reset back to factory defaults.